Curb the enthusiasm

JFtoLong

I want to start by saying that I will be rooting hard for Geno to be our guy of the future.

That said, I am seeing so much excitement, ad I really think the enthusiasm is overboard here.

Lets look at the facts.

1) this offense is still void of any playmakers whatsoever. That is never good for a young QB. Unless Holmes comes back healthy and motivated, and Smith gets the Vaseline off is hands, we have nothing at the WR position or the TE position.

2) Morningwood was not the OC in Philly, Andy was, period. Lets face it, there were a ton of OC openings this year, and nobody else even went after him, not even his former mentor, Andy? Why is that? He may turn out to be good, but that is a really big red flag to me.

3) Geno is a development project. His second half of last season was pretty bad, and that is not an NFL system he comes from. He has a huge transition to make in the NFL, that even in the best of scenarios won't be easy, in this scenario, will be very difficult.

4) there is at least a 50/50 chance that Rex will be gone after this year. The team will be decent on defense, and most likely horrible again on offense. If Rex is gone, that most likely means new system and for Geno. Not a great start for two years in the NFL and two systems in the NFL. If the Jets were committed to Rex, he would be extended already, period. It is NEVER a good idea to draft a QB with a coach who can be on his way out, never.

5) there will be almost no chance we take a big time QB prospect in next years draft. I doubt they will star him right away, and even if they start him for 5 games or so and he sucks, that is to be expected. They obviously thought very highly of him where they almost drafted him with the 13 pick, so this kid will get a bare min of two years, which means IF Rex gets fired, the new coach will have to stick with him, and possibly be two to three years into his window before the team gives up on him and drafts a new QB, most likely too late for Rex's replacement, and the cycle goes on and on and on.

This was a very risky move, despite it being in round two. Obviously not nearly the risk it would have been in round 1, but those kidding themselves that they will cut bait quickly if it does not work out are crazy, min of two to three years.

Sometimes you have to take risks as a franchise, I get it, and lets hope this one works out for us.

But let's curb the enthusiasm a bit, and face the facts.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex WILL be gone, but Mohrninwig hopefully stays (he is an Idzik pick) and that allows Geno to stay on track

Wasn't Marty hired before Idzig?

I really hope if they bring in a new coach, they allow the coach to pick his own staff. It's never a good sign when the new HC allows a team to insist they keep a coordinator that they did not chose, never.

#'s 4 & 5 are contradictory.

First of all, how could Rex possibly be fired if he's running the entire show? He's head coach for life. Might as well name him pope.

Second, if by some shocking development he actually does get fired, the new coach will be no more tied to the Jets' second round pick this year than John Idzik felt tied to Mark Sanchez and his $8.25M guaranteed contract. If Geno isn't the second coming of Russell Wilson, I don't see the Jets passing on a big time QB next year if the opportunity arises. Especially if Rex decides to abdicate the throne.

#'s 4 & 5 are contradictory.

First of all, how could Rex possibly be fired if he's running the entire show? He's head coach for life. Might as well name him pope.

Second, if by some shocking development he actually does get fired, the new coach will be no more tied to the Jets' second round pick this year than John Idzik felt tied to Mark Sanchez and his $8.25M guaranteed contract. If Geno isn't the second coming of Russell Wilson, I don't see the Jets passing on a big time QB next year if the opportunity arises. Especially if Rex decides to abdicate the throne.

The reality is Rex did not get an extension, bad season and he will lose his power and be done.

I don't think the chances are better than 50/50 we have a decent season this year.

If we were long term committed to the moron, wouldn't he have been extended to help lure coordinators?

Talk about burying the kid before he's even played a down. I think Geno can be good. Besides is that not how all Teams go if you don't have a QB? The Offence will be 100 times better than the sh@t they served up last year. I can honestly say that was the most aweful Offence I've ever seen. It was actually painful to watch the Jets play last season.

Talk about burying the kid before he's even played a down. I think Geno can be good. Besides is that not how all Teams go if you don't have a QB? The Offence will be 100 times better than the sh@t they served up last year. I can honestly say that was the most aweful Offence I've ever seen. It was actually painful to watch the Jets play last season.

I'm not burying him, I'm burying the franchise. They are dumb.

This is the reason we largely suck.

We lucked out in 09 and 10, but we have since returned to our roots of suckage

With all due respect, posts like the OP are dumb.

Who the heck are you to tell people not to get excited? I can never understand this about Jet fans.  Some see it as their duty to piss on other's dreams.

If fans want to be excited in April, so be it.  There's no better time to get excited because fans don't have to worry about reality kicking them in the balls.

i don't know if i agree we have zero playmakers. we just don't know that. holmes can be very good. ivory may be very good also. there's a chance hill improves alot. sure none of this is a given but why don't we at least take half a season to see what w ehave before we proclaim ther eis zero chance anyone on this offense can make plays.

With all due respect, posts like the OP are dumb.

Who the heck are you to tell people not to get excited? I can never understand this about Jet fans. Some see it as their duty to piss on other's dreams.

If fans want to be excited in April, so be it. There's no better time to get excited because fans don't have to worry about reality kicking them in the balls.

Get excited all u want, just trying to warn everyone celebrating.

End well this will not!

i don't know if i agree we have zero playmakers. we just don't know that. holmes can be very good. ivory may be very good also. there's a chance hill improves alot. sure none of this is a given but why don't we at least take half a season to see what w ehave before we proclaim ther eis zero chance anyone on this offense can make plays.

Sorry, just don't have any faith in this roster on offense.

I hope I'm wrong.

Hahahahaha!  This must be killing you!  First round everybody was on board with "The Jets are the worst!"  Now all of a sudden we are winning the offseason again and the tide has turned.  Instead of getting all emo and telling everybody not to be too enthusiastic, why not just wait?  When they don't have a pick in the 4th people will have time to get upset, look at what Miami has done and once again proclaim us the worst franchise in history.

Hahahahaha! This must be killing you! First round everybody was on board with "The Jets are the worst!" Now all of a sudden we are winning the offseason again and the tide has turned. Instead of getting all emo and telling everybody not to be too enthusiastic, why not just wait? When they don't have a pick in the 4th people will have time to get upset, look at what Miami has done and once again proclaim us the worst franchise in history.

Oh please.

We have "won" a million offseason a before, how's the team look now.

You know the definition of insanity??

Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

Why don't you cry about it?

I love Idzik. I love this draft. I love watching bitches like you cry, sob and fret, then puff out their chest when made fun of.

derp u mad u cryin brah derp? You have zero self awareness... it's awesome... BWAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHA... 

Get excited all u want, just trying to warn everyone celebrating.

End well this will not!

Sorry, just don't have any faith in this roster on offense.

I hope I'm wrong.

The reality is Rex did not get an extension, bad season and he will lose his power and be done.

I don't think the chances are better than 50/50 we have a decent season this year.

If we were long term committed to the moron, wouldn't he have been extended to help lure coordinators?

Wasn't Marty hired before Idzig?

I really hope if they bring in a new coach, they allow the coach to pick his own staff. It's never a good sign when the new HC allows a team to insist they keep a coordinator that they did not chose, never.

I want to start by saying that I will be rooting hard for Geno to be our guy of the future.

That said, I am seeing so much excitement, ad I really think the enthusiasm is overboard here.

Lets look at the facts.

1) this offense is still void of any playmakers whatsoever. That is never good for a young QB. Unless Holmes comes back healthy and motivated, and Smith gets the Vaseline off is hands, we have nothing at the WR position or the TE position.

2) Morningwood was not the OC in Philly, Andy was, period. Lets face it, there were a ton of OC openings this year, and nobody else even went after him, not even his former mentor, Andy? Why is that? He may turn out to be good, but that is a really big red flag to me.

3) Geno is a development project. His second half of last season was pretty bad, and that is not an NFL system he comes from. He has a huge transition to make in the NFL, that even in the best of scenarios won't be easy, in this scenario, will be very difficult.

4) there is at least a 50/50 chance that Rex will be gone after this year. The team will be decent on defense, and most likely horrible again on offense. If Rex is gone, that most likely means new system and for Geno. Not a great start for two years in the NFL and two systems in the NFL. If the Jets were committed to Rex, he would be extended already, period. It is NEVER a good idea to draft a QB with a coach who can be on his way out, never.

5) there will be almost no chance we take a big time QB prospect in next years draft. I doubt they will star him right away, and even if they start him for 5 games or so and he sucks, that is to be expected. They obviously thought very highly of him where they almost drafted him with the 13 pick, so this kid will get a bare min of two years, which means IF Rex gets fired, the new coach will have to stick with him, and possibly be two to three years into his window before the team gives up on him and drafts a new QB, most likely too late for Rex's replacement, and the cycle goes on and on and on.

This was a very risky move, despite it being in round two. Obviously not nearly the risk it would have been in round 1, but those kidding themselves that they will cut bait quickly if it does not work out are crazy, min of two to three years.

Sometimes you have to take risks as a franchise, I get it, and lets hope this one works out for us.

I think next year the jets will take a similar approach to what the dolphins did ....let the rookie qb play and then next yr. when they will have a lot of money under the cap go out and get proven playmakers in free agency

Oh please.

hemad.jpg

I'll show you how to do this right.

Oh please.

Oh please what?  Do you even care what you argue about anymore? 

They were worst yesterday and best today. They are neither.  Let the great unwashed have their moment of happiness.   You can stay up there on your high horse and tell us that you told us so later.

I think next year the jets will take a similar approach to what the dolphins did ....let the rookie qb play and then next yr. when they will have a lot of money under the cap go out and get proven playmakers in free agency

**** the Dolphins, I never want to see us do what they are doing again. Ireland just went all in like he's Tannebaum, to save his ass. Plain and simple. 

Overpaid for Wallace, Ellerbe and the trade up for Dion Jordan reeked of desperation. If we get decent QB play (see: less than the 30 whatever turnovers Sanchez gave us the past 2 years) with our defense, and revitalized running game we can compete with Miami and Buffalo for 2nd in the division. Watch.

I love Idzik. I love this draft. I love watching bitches like you cry, sob and fret, then puff out their chest when made fun of.

derp u mad u cryin brah derp? You have zero self awareness... it's awesome... BWAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHA...

Have a good cry, get it all out

What's not to be happy about?  If Geno Smith sucks, it's still a great pick.  Best rated QB at minimal investment, and pretty much the end of Sanchez.

This is arguably the best draft pick this team has made in a long time.

Next year we have 50M in cap space, and will still have a high pick, allowing us to add playmakers and another QB if necessary.

Easy.

Lets look at the facts.

Ok.  Thanks for the warning.  I will make sure to keep anything that slightly makes me a fan in check because of what you said.   See you in 2014!

Lets look at the facts.

No question that this team still has plenty of holes in it, especially on offense.  And, Geno is far from a slam dunk.  But did you seriously expect the mess the Jets have become to get entirely cleaned up in less than one off season?  Seriously?

So, what's the point -- other than the one on top of your head?

Archived