Recent posts by Nolan NawrockiWarmack, Cooper scouting reports
Posted April 15, 2013 @ 11:02 a.m.
Elam, Vaccaro scouting reports
Posted April 12, 2013 @ 9:26 a.m.

QB Geno Smith, #12
West Virginia
PFW Grade: 5.39
Ht: 6-23/8 | Wt: 218 | Sp: 4.59 | Arm: 321/2 | Hand: 91/4

Notes: His cousin, Melvin Bratton, was a star running back for the Miami Hurricanes in the late 1980s. The Florida prep was a Parade All-American selection after throwing for over 3,000 yards and 32 touchdowns. Saw limited action in five games as a true freshman in 2009, completing 32-of-49 passes for 309 yards (65.3 percent) with one touchdown and one interception while playing through a broken fifth metatarsal in his left foot for part of the season. Took over as the starter in ’10 and tossed 241-372-2,763-24-7 (64.8) in 13 starts. Was the first West Virginia QB in 12 years to throw for over 2,500 yards in a season. Garnered heavy recognition for ’11 season, setting the Big East Conference and school mark for passing yards with 346-526-4,385-31-7 (65.8), in addition to becoming the first Mountaineer QB in history and only the second Big East player to surpass 4,000 yards in a season in 13 starts. Named Orange Bowl MVP after throwing for 407 yards and six touchdowns against Clemson. Set the school record and led the Big 12 Conference in touchdown passes in ’12 after tossing 369-518-4,205-42-6 (a conference-leading 71.2) in 13 starts. Threw for 656 yards and eight touchdowns in a 70-63 shootout victory against Baylor. Had a 26-13 record in 39 career starts.

Positives: Has a strong arm and can rifle the ball with good velocity into tight windows. Can throw with accuracy on the move and layer the deep ball. Good overall accuracy, ball placement and touch, especially on the fade route. Throws a very catchable ball — spins it tightly. Good escapability — can sidestep the rush, find an open throwing window and extend plays with his feet when needed. Outstanding straight-line speed — clocked the best 40-yard time (4.56 seconds) and broad jump (10-foot-4) of any quarterback at the Combine. Very durable, experienced, three-year starter — overcame an average offensive line, has never missed any time to injury and will play through pain.

Negatives: Operated an offense where he received adjustments from the sidelines and was often out of sync with receivers

Average field vision and coverage recognition — forces throws and does not work through progressions. Takes unnecessary sacks and does not feel pressure well. Not an elusive scrambler. Shaky lower-body mechanics — does not stand tall in the pocket (crouches, hops, dances and elevates to his toes when he throws). Has pin legs and bad pocket posture. Operated almost exclusively from the gun. Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.

Summary: Started the season red-hot with the help of two playmaking receivers and created a national stir generating a lot of overexcitement in the scouting community. Quickly came down to earth after Kansas State disguised coverages and brought pressure he could not handle and he finished dropping six of his final eight games. A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

NFL projection: Top-50 pick.

These scouting reports were taken from Pro Football Weekly's 2013 Draft Preview book, which is now on sale. You can order it today through the PFW Store, or by calling 1-800-FOOTBALL (Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT).

It is win \ win for the Jets. If Sanchez saves his career, Geno was the 3rd player they took in the draft. If Sanchez doesn't save his career, Geno will get his shot.

Exactly. I'll take a Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick situation any day of the week. I seriously hope that they allow Geno to sit unless he's "Russel Wilson leagues" ahead of the rest of the competition. One thing that I've noticed about Smith that he must learn is to step up into the pocket. He has great feet to elude defenders and run for first downs however I bet that many of his fumbles came from the fact that when he drops back he doesnt step up into the pocket. Having arguably the best Center in the league and a year of him practicing on the sidelines should make this kid a monster in 2014 and the possibility of resurrecting the career of Mark and then trading him for a couple draft picks to a team like Jacksonville.

Gruden really ripped Geno during the draft. Said he didnt understand how anyone could've thought he was top QB in draft, etc.

Gruden is a douche. 

Maybe the system is great, but I don't know of a quarterback who has had as many decision-making opportunities as Smith had. And you know what? He made the right decisions. For instance: Every running play that was called, he had the option to hand the ball off, but he could also check out of the play and throw it. There were always options.

I credit Geno Smith with not only being productive, but I think his skill set is very versatile and I think he's going to adapt nicely to any system that you want to run."

I just think he's exhausted at the end of every Saturday afternoon," Gruden said after talking football with Smith. "They put a lot on the quarterback's plate and I think it's very underestimated what this kid can do from a football standpoint. He does a lot above the neck, as well as making plays with his arm and with his mobility."

I answer that by considering where he is not in every draft, but for this class specifically. In this class, I definitely think he's a guy you could take at No. 1, or at least in that range if it's your top need. Sure, a lot of people say he's not as good as Andrew Luck or Griffin. Well, last time I checked, those guys aren't in this draft. It's supply and demand. In this league, you need a quarterback, and if you're a general manager or a coach you can't just operate with the idea you're content to wait until you're in the perfect position to take a can't-miss prospect. In this class, the closest thing to that is Smith. And if I needed a quarterback, I'd be willing to take him high.

Nawrocki already has been slammed by pretty much everyone connected to Geno after that report came out, citing how he's not only the hardest working player in the building, but an absolute football film junkie.  At the time when assistant coaches and ex-coordinators usually will rip a player to the media or scouts if they didn't like them (read: LSU and Sam Montgomery), a couple of Geno's former coaches who are now on other teams, immediately contacted local media-outlets to refute that notion.  The kid had multiple games on his ipad that he would watch after a win or loss all season long. 

As for him struggling with defensive recognition and all that, sure, but I take it all with a grain of salt considering you'd hear that Sanchez and some of those guys who played in pro-style offenses were already adept at it, only to see them wilt when they got to the NFL.  The two main things that I'm looking for in a future QB: does he have all the physical tools and measurables (accuracy, veloc, throwing motion etc) and does he have the work ethic to put it all together like a Russell Wilson.  Russell is no more physically gifted than guys before him, but by all accounts he's an intelligent kid who wants to be great and works at it.  If Geno has the work ethic that all his coaches and those around him says he does, then I'm feeling good about the pick.  If not? then he's a second round pick who was worth the gamble.

Gruden is a douche. 

I've honestly never heard him say a negative thing about anyone unless it was MNF and you can take your pick of the idiotic things he says during those games...there's actually a blog about it.  It seems as though he talks up players so much so that years from now you can highlight all he was right about, yet no one ever remembers who you were wrong about.  It all seems very disingenuous. 

A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

NFL projection: Top-50 pick.

Heartwarming. 

Really like to think this is the worst case scenario. I do like his athleticism. With the Jets moves to improve the OL and the running game, but not the receivers so much, I could see them installing him early to run around back there.  

I've honestly never heard him say a negative thing about anyone unless it was MNF and you can take your pick of the idiotic things he says during those games...there's actually a blog about it.  It seems as though he talks up players so much so that years from now you can highlight all he was right about, yet no one ever remembers who you were wrong about.  It all seems very disingenuous. 

gruden is an idiot

He's in the "media"  It's what we should expect.

Me either.  I've looked at all of Geno's game tapes on youtube that I could find and I got to say that the throws that he can make ACCURATELY and in tight spaces are amazing. Only if he would simply step up into the pocket. Im assuming that because he played alot of gun/pistol this is where that issue stems. And I love the way he plays the spread. I really think we may have found a QB and Idzik will be forever loved in this town even with going defense twice in the 1st round lol.

Please let him sit and learn for a season or at least the first 10-12 games.

Right now I'm thinking he's not a top five pick, and he shouldn't be treated like one. If he can beat out Sanchez and Garrard for the starting job, start him. If during the course of the year he can't beat out Sanchez and Garrard, then they'll need to draft another QB high. 

I'd rather see him get on the field. Selfishly, it will be more entertaining for me. Selfishly for the Jets, they need to find out as much as they can about Geno -as soon as they can- so they know whether he's really the future or not. 

Right now I'm thinking he's not a top five pick, and he shouldn't be treated like one. If he can beat out Sanchez and Garrard for the starting job, start him. If during the course of the year he can't beat out Sanchez and Garrard, then they'll need to draft another QB high. 

I'd rather see him get on the field. Selfishly, it will be more entertaining for me. Selfishly for the Jets, they need to find out as much as they can about Geno -as soon as they can- so they know whether he's really the future or not. 

my biggst problem with competition is what does beating out sanchez entail? He had an awful year and still didnt get beat out I guess you could say thats because of his bad backups but i highly doubt they couldnt have done an equal or better job

that coupled with rex's sanchez tattoo also scared me

I agree....give me something to get pumped up about here and get Geno on the field...or if Sanchez can come out n show some fire bc of the pressure of being replaced by a rookie... then I'll be pumped up about that then...but I need something from one of these quarterbacks or this gonna be a reeeaaaall loooooooooooooong season

For the most part I agree with this. 

I just don’t want to see the Jets commit to Smith, and be good to go the way  they did with Sanchez.  I’ve watched a lot of Smith this season because of all the early season hype.  

I came away very unimpressed, and  came away feeling much like the article.  The Pinstripe Bowl was horrible.  Yes it was in very bad weather, but he is going to play in NY, well actually NJ.  Same weather.

If they actually have an open competition, I’m OK with it.  Then it’s just a bad 2nd round pick. If they fake the competition and just hand him the job.  Major mistake.   We saw a bit of how he handles adversity, with his wanting to leave NY on Friday.  Wait till the media starts skinning him.

IMO he is not going to be a very good NFL QB

Please let him sit and learn for a season or at least the first 10-12 games.

The only reason I think I'm against this is because he played so many games and took so many snaps in college. It's ideal - sure - but he has the ability to play right away and if he earns it...**** it and let him play.

Smith converted me into a fan during the draft process. To me the media gives itself too options - put a guy on an untouchable pedestal from the start (Luck. RG3) or sh*t on him until he proves otherwise then pretend nothing happened (the vast majority). If you sit and watch Smith play there's alot more right than wrong going on. 

Heartwarming.

Really like to think this is the worst case scenario. I do like his athleticism. With the Jets moves to improve the OL and the running game, but not the receivers so much, I could see them installing him early to run around back there.

See BroadwayJoe supra. Nolan Nawrocki is a dunce and PFW is toilet paper.

Nawrocki already has been slammed by pretty much everyone connected to Geno after that report came out, citing how he's not only the hardest working player in the building, but an absolute football film junkie. At the time when assistant coaches and ex-coordinators usually will rip a player to the media or scouts if they didn't like them (read: LSU and Sam Montgomery), a couple of Geno's former coaches who are now on other teams, immediately contacted local media-outlets to refute that notion. The kid had multiple games on his ipad that he would watch after a win or loss all season long.

As for him struggling with defensive recognition and all that, sure, but I take it all with a grain of salt considering you'd hear that Sanchez and some of those guys who played in pro-style offenses were already adept at it, only to see them wilt when they got to the NFL. The two main things that I'm looking for in a future QB: does he have all the physical tools and measurables (accuracy, veloc, throwing motion etc) and does he have the work ethic to put it all together like a Russell Wilson. Russell is no more physically gifted than guys before him, but by all accounts he's an intelligent kid who wants to be great and works at it. If Geno has the work ethic that all his coaches and those around him says he does, then I'm feeling good about the pick. If not? then he's a second round pick who was worth the gamble.

That particular part of the scouting report on college players always cracks me up. Especially, when they knock the guy who takes audibles at the LOS from the sideline. I'd say, 98% of college QB's take their cues from the sideline. The Andrew Luck's of the world, are few and far between.

Further, its damn near impossible for a college prospect to come in, day 1, and be have a veteran view of the what a defense is giving you, nobody has ever been 100% ready for it. DC's do such a good job of hiding their coverage and then you throw in the speed of the game...its just really not possible to be 100% ready to adjust on the fly at the LOS for a rookie QB. Hence why so many rookie QB's have high INT numbers and typically low completion percentages - which Luck even falls into that category. Hell, even Aaron Rodgers struggled with some of that and he watched from a HOF'er for 3 years.

RGIII and Russell are anomalies and they played in offensive system that made reading the field much, much easier. Very run heavy, incorporating the spread option read and really throwing the ball at a low percentage each game made them seem a little more veteran savvy than your typical rookie QB. But if you asked them to come out and just be a pocket passer, dissecting the field and running through their progression, game in, game out - they wouldnt have looked as comfortable as they did.

I would be more concerned if we had used a first rounder on the guy.  There are a lot of fliers taken in the second round where teams grab the guys who were too flawed for first round consideration, but have upside.  Bring him in, let him study and hopefully you can make a resonably intelligent call on him before next April comes around in case you need to find him someone to compete with him from the next draft.

Yeah it's usually why I don't watch espn draft coverage, they would give him equal time to Kiper, and all he would do is say how great every pick was. But he must have been aware of what people were saying because he was heavily critical this year.

So what if Geno throws a high percentage of passes short and behind the line of scrimmage?  That is a product of the offensive system, not an indictment of his skills.  They did not put the offense in place to cover deficiencies on Geno's part.

Lol Francesa just said Geno wasn't on the tip of anyone's tongue last season. Lol he was the heisman leader for half the year.

The desperation is growing.  These guys need to find a hook to spread their negativity.  If they can't find one, they'll make one up and generally look like asswipes doing it.

Archived