Goodson Returns To OTA's

flgreen

Goodson returns as OTAs resume

May, 28, 2013
May 28

2:26

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

As expected, embattled RB Mike Goodson rejoined the Jets on Tuesday for their OTA practices, a source said. Goodson, facing gun and drug charges, skipped the voluntary sessions last week amid the fallout of his highly-publicized arrest.

Tuesday's session was closed to the media. The Jets also practice this week on Thursday (open) and Friday (closed).

Goodson's New Jersey-based lawyer, Anthony Fusco, hinted at last Wednesday's arraignment that his client soon would return to practice. ESPNNewYork.com reported last Friday that Goodson's return would occur this week.

The Jets haven't commented on the pending charges, except to say they plan to let the legal process take its course before making a determination on Goodson's status. Goodson, through his lawyer, has claimed the gun, found by police during the arrest, doesn't belong to him. He was the passenger in an SUV that was stopped in the left-center lane on Route 80 in New Jersey after 3 a.m. on May 17.

Goodson was found to be "incoherent, slobbering and had vomited on himself," according to a police affidavit. He was charged with unlawful possession of a handgun and possession of marijuana.

A pretrial hearing is scheduled for June 12.

An ESPNewYork.com investigation into Goodson's background uncovered a string of legal issues. He was sued for paternity and child support by three different women from August, 2010, to May, 2011. He also was sued for a $56,465 bill at a Texas jewelry store. To make payment, his wages with the Raiders last season were garnished, a total of $84,423, including fees and interest.

A "string of legal issues".  Cimini really is a tool.  Basically, the kid sucks with money and buying condoms, but nothing he's done can be considered illegal.  I would love someone to run a background check on Cimini to see if he's so squeaky clean.

A "string of legal issues".  Cimini really is a tool.  Basically, the kid sucks with money and buying condoms, but nothing he's done can be considered illegal.  I would love someone to run a background check on Cimini to see if he's so squeaky clean.

Oh the stories we could tell

A "string of legal issues". 

Yes, that phrasing got me too.  You read that and you have visions of the guy every week being hauled off in handcuffs by the cops.  And it turns out to be all this civil stuff and paternity issues.

if Mike Goodson was on the Giants would we rush to defend him? 

"all he's done is get vomit-on-yourself-drunk and hang out with a guy who likes hollow point ammo? Is that so wrong?! Who hasn't done that? " 

"all he's done is get vomit-on-yourself-drunk and hang out with a guy who likes hollow point ammo? Is that so wrong?! Who hasn't done that? " 

I think you do not want to introduce him to any sisters you might have.

Do you honestly believe half the stuff you type or is it solely for the purpose of being contrarian?  So by your logic, anyone who's vomited from drinking too much and then in their inebriated state failed to ask a recent acquaintance that was giving him a ride home if he just so happens to have a gun in the car and if so what type of bullets he has loaded in them, is basically an indefensible piece of sh*t.

Do you honestly believe half the stuff you type or is it solely for the purpose of being contrarian?  So by your logic, anyone who's vomited from drinking too much and then in their inebriated state failed to ask a recent acquaintance that was giving him a ride home if he just so happens to have a gun in the car and if so what type of bullets he has loaded in them, is basically an indefensible piece of sh*t.

Well it depends. He defensible if he's on the Jets. if he's on the Giants he's a thugturd scumbag. And he's gotta be talented to be defensible. 

Cliff Harris and Claude Davis are dumped immediately for weed but Mike Goodson the Jets are all like "not all the facts are in. let's not rush to judgement." That's for weed, booze and guns. Allegedly. But the Jets didn't wait for the legal process to play out for these other guys.  

Whether he's innocent or guilty, it really depends on the size of this player's bonus and how recently they paid him.  

if only Mike Goodson was signed 3 years ago and was over 30 then he'd definitely be guilty. And more fat to trim off the cap. 

At a minimum, you've gotta admit the kid has a string of undesirable character issues, and I have trouble finding the reason to be optimistic about him making it through a contract here without something else happening. Is that so unreasonable? That's not really homerism.

Well it depends. He defensible if he's on the Jets. if he's on the Giants he's a thugturd scumbag. And he's gotta be talented to be defensible.

Cliff Harris and Claude Davis are dumped immediately for weed but Mike Goodson the Jets are all like "not all the facts are in. let's not rush to judgement." That's for weed, booze and guns. Allegedly. But the Jets didn't wait for the legal process to play out for these other guys.

Whether he's innocent or guilty, it really depends on the size of this player's bonus and how recently they paid him.

if only Mike Goodson was signed 3 years ago and was over 30 then he'd definitely be guilty. And more fat to trim off the cap.

Come on man, Harris and Davis were fringe practice squanders. If anything, this allows us rare insight to the perceived competition at RB (read: McKnight isn't the cats meow he thinks he is, and Powell isn't getting much coach speak either).. It's apparent that Goodson might be viewed as a major contributor to an offense that didn't have many skill positions addressed this offseason.

Would you rather we set moral precedents for the team, or get wins? It appears that Idzik is attempting to do both.

Come on man, Harris and Davis were fringe practice squanders. If anything, this allows us rare insight to the perceived competition at RB (read: McKnight isn't the cats meow he thinks he is, and Powell isn't getting much coach speak either).. It's apparent that Goodson might be viewed as a major contributor to an offense that didn't have many skill positions addressed this offseason.

Would you rather we set moral precedents for the team, or get wins? It appears that Idzik is attempting to do both.

Not going to really take you on about the morals, but as far as good business practices and risk management, I don't see how this kid passed the sniff test, unless they just ignored his history. I wonder if they really expected to get three years out of him, or if he's just a 1 year rental.

How a business operates comes from the top. If there's one set of rules for some employees and no rules for other employees, it can be problematic. 

This wouldn't be a problem if Harris/Davis were pursuing their legal recourse, same as Goodson. No one forced Idzik to act like a   hard-ass. 

Not going to really take you on about the morals, but as far as good business practices and risk management, I don't see how this kid passed the sniff test, unless they just ignored his history. I wonder if they really expected to get three years out of him, or if he's just a 1 year rental.

Risk management lies in the contract language and contingency plan.

I'm not saying I'd want my sister dating the guy, but in terms of playing RB, the guy makes a living running as fast as he can into walls-of-men. He wasn't signed for his smarts.

Alright, I get it dick. You don't want to hang out with me

How a business operates comes from the top. If there's one set of rules for some employees and no rules for other employees, it can be problematic.

This wouldn't be a problem if Harris/Davis were pursuing their legal recourse, same as Goodson. No one forced Idzik to act like a hard-ass.

You nailed it in your second paragraph. Goodson delaying the legal process has enabled him (and the team) to play the "innocent till proven guilty" card.

But It also buys time...to wait for potential replacements (of his caliber) to become available, and to pursue a means to legally recoup some serious signing bonus money, if that's the direction they want to go.

As for your business model, hierarchy-based discipline structure. Come on man, managers and bosses don't get as much grief for bending the rules as their subordinates... That's just the way it is.

well, they have money invested in him.  I see no contradiction here.  the other two were worthless to them, time and money-wise.  Goodson is worth considerably more.  If Goodson is rushed to judgment and found guilty, the Jets will them scratch tooth and nail to get their bonus money back.  entirely consistent

This wouldn't be a problem if Harris/Davis were pursuing their legal recourse, same as Goodson. No one forced Idzik to act like a   hard-ass. 

Enough verbal diarrhea already - Parcells said and was right in saying all players aren't equal - but of course you're way smarter than him and most others involved in the game. 

Do you honestly believe half the stuff you type or is it solely for the purpose of being contrarian? So by your logic, anyone who's vomited from drinking too much and then in their inebriated state failed to ask a recent acquaintance that was giving him a ride home if he just so happens to have a gun in the car and if so what type of bullets he has loaded in them, is basically an indefensible piece of sh*t.

At the very least, Goodson's history is a million red flags, and this most recent incident is a black eye for Idzik.

If he was a Giant, I wouldn't even be talking about him, let alone defending him.  I would be much more apt to call the guy a thugturd for his previous transgressions, considering if i disliked everyone who got vomit-on-yourself-drunk and smoked some weed, I'd have relatively few friends.  I just honestly didn't believe you were fully behind this argument and know sometimes you just like to stir the pot. Just a little friendly ribbing.

considering if i disliked everyone who got vomit-on-yourself-drunk and smoked some weed, I'd have relatively few friends.  I just honestly didn't believe you were fully behind this argument and know sometimes you just like to stir the pot. Just a little friendly ribbing.

and some friendly ribbing right back how many of your friends have hollow points? those are used for one thing only and what makes this case much more serious than weed/booze problems. 

and some friendly ribbing right back how many of your friends have hollow points? those are used for one thing only and what makes this case much more serious than weed/booze problems. 

To be perfectly honest, quite a few actually.  Hollow points are actually the recommended choice of ammunition for personal protection for a number of reasons; better stopping power allows you to fire less rounds, it very rarely goes through the victim, both of which help to prevent hitting any innocent bystanders and I believe, although I'm not big into guns, that a very popular rifle bullet is a jacketed hollow point. I have a decent amount of family and friends who are either big hunters or (ex)-military and use hollow points for their hand-guns. I think you'd be surprised how many people actually use hollow-points, it's only an issue because of how strict NJ is with their gun laws; I believe NJ is the only or one of the few states where those bullets are illegal. 

*I only know this about them as I was always under the impression that hollow-points were cop-killers and asked a bunch of questions when I heard em mention it.  I'm pretty sure hollow-points from a hand-gun can't penetrate kevlar vests and pretty much anything fired from a rifle can.  I'm sure someone else on here can answer that a lot better.

Not paying child support is actually a huge legal issue and many deadbeats wind up in jail or on the run if the woman pursues to go after them.  This guy is lucky they didn't or his paycheck was garnished.   All these things already had to be known by the Jets and considering Cromartie had similar issues, they overlooked it.  Then again, considering the Seahawks PED issues over the past few years,  who really thinks Idzik sticks to the moral high ground.

In the long run if the guy stinks or has more legal issues,  it was a bad move.  And he's really not all that good to be defending. It's one thing if he were Curtis Martin. Its another to be a backup who barely played on the Raiders last year.

.Cliff Harris and Claude Davis are dumped immediately for weed but Mike Goodson the Jets are all like "not all the facts are in. let's not rush to judgement." That's for weed, booze and guns. Allegedly. But the Jets didn't wait for the legal process to play out for these other guys.  

Cliff & Claude were trying out, going through a job interview process.  During a job interview, they can shoot you down for just anything, no matter how trivial.

Goodson was already signed, a certified check had changed hands, and millions of dollars contracted for under various conditions.  Now, Goodson doesn't get cut for just anything.

Once you're signed, or already employed, the standards for letting you go change from when you were just interviewing.  In any job.

The acquaintance thing is a problem. How many people actually find themselves in these situations, with these types of people without being kind of a dumb POS themselves?

To be perfectly honest, quite a few actually.  Hollow points are actually the recommended choice of ammunition for personal protection for a number of reasons; better stopping power allows you to fire less rounds, it very rarely goes through the victim, both of which help to prevent hitting any innocent bystanders and I believe, although I'm not big into guns, that a very popular rifle bullet is a jacketed hollow point. I have a decent amount of family and friends who are either big hunters or (ex)-military and use hollow points for their hand-guns. I think you'd be surprised how many people actually use hollow-points, it's only an issue because of how strict NJ is with their gun laws; I believe NJ is the only or one of the few states where those bullets are illegal. 

*I only know this about them as I was always under the impression that hollow-points were cop-killers and asked a bunch of questions when I heard em mention it.  I'm pretty sure hollow-points from a hand-gun can't penetrate kevlar vests and pretty much anything fired from a rifle can.  I'm sure someone else on here can answer that a lot better.

Hollow points also do not go through walls, which makes them a lot better for home protection. 

Hollow points also do not go through walls, which makes them a lot better for home protection. 

That's probably why he had them. When I'm buying my bullets I think about the headache of putting up new drywall when I shoot an intruder.

20 years ago we called that Friday night.

Archived