WFAN: Namath Not on Speaking Terms With Woody

flgreen

Joe Namath Not On Speaking Terms With Jets Owner, Says Team ‘Misled’ Fans

Hall Of Famer Talks Sanchez, Rex And Woody With Boomer & Carton

May 30, 2013 9:10 AM

NEW YORK (WFAN) – Joe Namath hasn’t been shy in his criticism of the New York Jets.

The Gang Green great doubled down on WFAN radio Thursday and admitted he hasn’t been on speaking terms with owner Woody Johnson and some members of the organization for quite some time.

“No. No, no, no, no,” Namath said on the “Boomer & Carton” show when asked if he was on speaking terms with Johnson and new general manager John Idzik.

“In fact, I haven’t met Mr. Idzik unless it was 40 years ago,” he added. “But no, I have not been on good terms with Mr. Johnson for the last couple of years.”

The Hall of Fame quarterback admitted he was “somewhat” bothered by his relationship with the Jets. But that didn’t stop him from firing another round of shots at the franchise.

Namath called the Jets “deceptive” and said the brass in Florham Park has “misled” fans about the state of the team.

“You know, you’ve got to be honest,” Namath said. “I want to be honest. And I think they’ve been deceptive.”

The 69-year-old later clarified his relationship with the Jets, calling it “uncomfortable.”

“I wouldn’t say bad terms, you know?” he said. “Uncomfortable. Because I was saying earlier, you don’t like to hear negative things, negative vibes, and Woody I’m sure doesn’t like the criticism. I mean, when we’ve brushed shoulders in the past it hasn’t been the same as it was originally. We don’t talk — ‘Hi, how are ya?’ “

Namath touched on a number of topics during the in-studio interview:

– On former coach Eric Mangini: “When you say Mang-idiot, well he might have put that team together that got to those two (AFC) championship games to start out with.”

– Jets “misled” fans: “The teams declined while we fans are being told how good they are constantly, how this new player’s so good. They haven’t played up to how they’ve been touted. And so I think they’ve misled the fans more or less. They’ve made some bad decisions on personnel the last couple of years.”

– On why he believes in QB Mark Sanchez: “He’s got four years under his belt of some highs and certainly some lows. He’s endured. He’s resilient. I believe that at this stage. And I think  he’s going to be able to put together what he’s learned over these four years if the Jets’ team puts something together. Get an offensive line, plug those holes. You bring in running backs? Forget it — you’re bringing in running backs and you need blocking. I don’t care what running back it is. They’re just not fixing the spots that need fixing.”

– Should coach Rex Ryan have been fired after last season?: “No. First of all, Rex has still got a winning record there. And he is the head coach, he’s not the guy making all the decisions. … They’re telling him what to do. Sure, he has some input. But I don’t put the blame on Rex entirely, absolutely not. It’s a different style that I’ve ever seen in coaching before, but we’re past that. He’s got a winning record. Who’s to say this team doesn’t bounce back this year? You see, that’s another thing.”

– On PSLs: “I still got a hangup over personal seat licenses, you see. What owner is not a billionaire and yet they’re getting people to cough up money on those little things. It’s greed and it’s unfair. But life is unfair.”

– On Tim Tebow: “We all love Tebow as a man, but where do you put him on the football field? His feet aren’t that agile, he’s not that quick, he doesn’t have the size to play (as) a blocking tight end, he’s not a receiver and he doesn’t throw the ball well enough to play quarterback. Where are you gonna use him?”

You May Also Be Interested In These Stories

Namath called the Jets “deceptive” and said the brass in Florham Park has “misled” fans about the state of the team.

“You know, you’ve got to be honest,” Namath said. “I want to be honest. And I think they’ve been deceptive.”

The 69-year-old later clarified his relationship with the Jets, calling it “uncomfortable.”

“I wouldn’t say bad terms, you know?” he said. “Uncomfortable. Because I was saying earlier, you don’t like to hear negative things, negative vibes, and Woody I’m sure doesn’t like the criticism. I mean, when we’ve brushed shoulders in the past it hasn’t been the same as it was originally. We don’t talk — ‘Hi, how are ya?’ “

Just who is on good terms with Woody Johnson these days?

I can get people to back me up over the fact that I've become infamous with Mr. Robert Wood Johnson IV since I wrote a 3-part expose on the Manhattan stadium "The Good, The Bad & The Very Ugly" way back in the day.

Maybe it was because the New York Examiner ran with it on the net?

I know as a fact it had nothing to do with Sheldon Silver's decision to Veto - The Dolans had that in their pockets.

Heck, I've even tried to, over the last 8 years since publication, just try to say hello to him & every time he makes eye contact with me, he "Turns Tail & runs."

Just for telling the truth about our owner...

--- I feel for you Joe!

Just who is on good terms with Woody Johnson these days?

I can get people to back me up over the fact that I've become infamous with Mr. Robert Wood Johnson IV since I wrote a 3-part expose on the Manhattan stadium "The Good, The Bad & The Very Ugly" way back in the day.

Maybe it was because the New York Examiner ran with it on the net?

I know as a fact it had nothing to do with Sheldon Silver's decision to Veto - The Dolans had that in their pockets.

Heck, I've even tried to, over the last 8 years since publication, just try to say hello to him & every time he makes eye contact with me, he "Turns Tail & runs."

Just for telling the truth about our owner...

--- I feel for you Joe!

Are you quoting somebody else or did you write that exposé?

the guy makes alot of sense. Except for the Sanchez thing. But he's like 5-1 in that interview. 

TBH I think West Coast  is going to suit Mark a lot better, and we haven't heard anything really about Geno's OTA and I'm definitely not sold on him yet. But Joe makes a great point about the line; a porous OL is going to put a lot of pressure on the passing game. Mark can't handle a pass rush for a damn,but if that line holds up, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get over 60% in the passing game this year. I won't delve further into the OL, as this is being discussed ad naseum in the "Building an Offense" thread.

TBH I think West Coast is going to suit Mark a lot better, and we haven't heard anything really about Geno's OTA and I'm definitely not sold on him yet. But Joe makes a great point about the line; a porous OL is going to put a lot of pressure on the passing game. Mark can't handle a pass rush for a damn,but if that line holds up, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get over 60% in the passing game this year. I won't delve further into the OL, as this is being discussed ad naseum in the "Building an Offense" thread.

It's quite possible and hopefully he does, but it's beyond frustrating talking about a 5th year player trying to get above 60% for the first time in his career. I happen to agree with everything Joe said, except his part on Sanchez: I think he feels the need to defend him a bit as there's literally no one else doing so. But hey, here's to whoever our QB is getting above 60%.

Are you quoting somebody else or did you write that exposé?

I researched & wrote it back when my site was on AOL, was noted by it by over a few news papers including the Indianapolis Star as well as others in the tri-state area.

What can I say, it was my 30 seconds of fame - for telling the truth...

FWIW, maybe Joe is onto something with Sanchez. I remember he swore Alex Smith was going to be good when he was stinking it up his 1st 3-4 yrs in SanFran.

They just had to surround him with Pro Bowl level talent everywhere else. We should do that

I researched & wrote it back when my site was on AOL, was noted by it by over a few news papers including the Indianapolis Star as well as others in the tri-state area.

What can I say, it was my 30 seconds of fame - for telling the truth...

Very good.  When you see a quote that has professional quality writing like that which isn't attributed, you wonder if the poster wrote it himself or just forgot to mention it wasn't his.

Joe is my NYjet hero I usually agree with him on everything, but now I gotta say nay Joe! on the Mark Sanchez statement there.

the kid sucks.....monkey nutzzz big time he's not the QB for our football team.

Jets misled the fans?   :rl:  Shut up Joe.  Every team says its players are good & the teams going to be good.  Making bad decisions on personnel is not misleading fans.  

PSL's?  If people were willing to pay for them, its their fault, not the billionaire owner.  

Plus, he acts like the Jets are the only team with PSL's.  The Giants have them too, in case he hasn't noticed, but he acts like the Jets are the only team doing it.  Then, he criticizes Goodson for stuff off the field like he was ever a saint.  I wouldn't be surprised if Namath has some illegitimate children out there that he isn't aware of mainly because DNA testing and paternity tests really weren't prevalent back in his day.  I'm so sick of his bullsh*t already.  Some people are sucking him off just because he won the SB 40+ years ago.  A great accomplishment, no doubt, but some act like he can do no wrong and I find that just as embarrassing as his antics.

A stylish Joe Namath arrives at JFK airport in New York City to meet some of his many female admirers. While Namath was renowned for on-field heroics, he was equally notorious for his womanizing tendencies, being linked to such famous personalities as Barbra Streisand, Suzy Storm and Ann-Margret.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/photos/1009/nfl-rare-photos-1970//5/#ixzz2VD5rHHQQ

joe-namath.97281513.jpg

Joe Namath looks on in disgust as his New York Jets fall to the Cleveland Browns 31-21 on Sept. 21. Namath had reason to pout, lofting three interceptions in the game, the last of which was returned for a touchdown. After rolling to a 10-4 mark the year before, the Jets staggered to a measly 4-10 record in 1970.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/photos/1009/nfl-rare-photos-1970//6/#ixzz2VD63MtTI

joe-namath.75445386_10.jpg

Archived