The polar opposite of Sanchez

eboozer

I think guys are responding to me.  I think that’s a part of them just realizing that I’m a hard worker. That’s something I try to prove to those guys daily. I think they respect a guy who works hard and brings it every day to the film room and to the practice field. It’s something that comes along as you build a rapport with those guys.”

– Jets QB Geno Smith on if veterans are responding to him

I have never heard anyone ever mentioning Sanchez as a film room junkie, or the last guy off the field. Always chiilin' on the sideline, eating hot dogs and laughing it up during camp.

Geno on the other hand is always talking to the coaches. He's not here to be Mark's friend, he's here to take Mark's job. I like this. I don't need a QB everybody likes, I need one who desires to beat you. I never here people talk about how much they like Brady, honestly I think his team considers him a prick, but they always talk about how hard he works and is a perfectionist. This is what I'm hoping for with Geno... someone who will lead and get chew out a lineman or receiver when they get back to the sideline if they missed a blocking assignment or ran a bad route.

We should begin to see what we have in Geno over the next few weeks. Hoping for him to win this job and never look back. :crossfingers:  

I don't think Mark needs to be killed for his worth ethic.  Outside of one quote a while back, which was more about his attitude than his actual work ethic, most reports are that he is a hard worker.

Mark's problem is just that he's not very good at football.  End of story.

Mark's problem is just that he's not very good at football.  End of story.

That pretty much sums it up in a nutshell. Sorry Mark, enjoy your last game or two as a NFL starting quarterback (that's providing if you make it to the season opener).

just because geno is better than the worst QB we've had to endure here doesn't mean he is good at football either

I see a lot of people trying to fall in love with the guy

so far he's just ok, and hasn't lost any fumbles yet in a real game.  he's a fumbler.  a fumble is worse than an INT in most cases. 

this offense will be atrocious no matter which guy starts

just accept it now

Usually I agree with the post here... Today I don't. Mark has always been questioned for not having competition, in effect saying he is nonchalant in his approach. I could be wrong, but I recall him being called lazy at one point. FYI... I have always hoped Sanchez would be our next great quarterback. It is clear now that he is not! Geno is the next guy that ill be hoping can be great...

Sanchez's work ethic has never been questioned, BUT what he is focusing on, doing with that work he is putting in, and learning has been questioned.

This! I don't count Jets West, the weight room or his conditioning. I want my QB in the film roomand I want him in NJ in the off-season, working with the coaches.

I could care less about working with Jeff Garcia or Jerry Garcia(RIP). As Tom posted from Cortland

"Geno's problem is pre-snap. Sanchez's problem is post-snap."     

Geno is trying to read where the blitz is coming from(almost every play w/Rex as DC) and what play to audible to.

Sanchez struggles with the speed of the game IMO.  He just freezes back there or panics and has trouble putting the ball where it needs to be.

Geno seems to have the poise back there under pressure, although he holds the ball to long. I don't think he's overwhelmed by the speed of the game.

just because geno is better than the worst QB we've had to endure here doesn't mean he is good at football either

I see a lot of people trying to fall in love with the guy

so far he's just ok, and hasn't lost any fumbles yet in a real game.  he's a fumbler.  a fumble is worse than an INT in most cases. 

just accept it now

+1 mark sucking doesn't make geno good. 

just accept it now

Not true.  QB play drives just about everything these days.  Andrew Luck took an awful team from 2 wins to 11 despite lacking talent around him.  No, we can't say that Geno is Andrew Luck, but if he's significantly better than Sanchez (not difficult), our offense will decidedly NOT be atrocious.

I have never heard anyone ever mentioning Sanchez as a film room junkie, or the last guy off the field. Always chiilin' on the sideline, eating hot dogs and laughing it up during camp.

Geno on the other hand is always talking to the coaches. He's not here to be Mark's friend, he's here to take Mark's job. I like this. I don't need a QB everybody likes, I need one who desires to beat you. I never here people talk about how much they like Brady, honestly I think his team considers him a prick, but they always talk about how hard he works and is a perfectionist. This is what I'm hoping for with Geno... someone who will lead and get chew out a lineman or receiver when they get back to the sideline if they missed a blocking assignment or ran a bad route.

We should begin to see what we have in Geno over the next few weeks. Hoping for him to win this job and never look back. :crossfingers:  

Then you haven't been a Jets fan for long. His work ethic has never been questioned. Who arranges Jets West? Sanchez. Does he have to? No, not at all.

Then you haven't been a Jets fan for long. His work ethic has never been questioned. Who arranges Jets West? Sanchez. Does he have to? No, not at all.

Hasselback has questioned his work ethic several times and I'd hardly say organizing a volleyball tournament where his mother schleps baked goods is something to hang your "work-ethic" hat on.

Not true.  QB play drives just about everything these days.  Andrew Luck took an awful team from 2 wins to 11 despite lacking talent around him.  No, we can't say that Geno is Andrew Luck, but if he's significantly better than Sanchez (not difficult), our offense will decidedly NOT be atrocious.

sure, a once every 10 years QB prospect would help, but that's not what I was getting at

both QB's are turnover machines with no talent around them, so it really doesn't matter who plays

just accept it now

Hasselback has questioned his work ethic several times and I'd hardly say organizing a volleyball tournament where his mother schleps baked goods is something to hang your "work-ethic" hat on.

Actually, Sanchez's work ethic has been questioned. Hasselback has definitely spoken up about it.

Read my earlier post, the critic of Sanchez wasn't the time he put in, but what he was focused on (Hasselbach said he was being taught, or focusing on the wrong things, Dilfer said the same) all everybody ever says is Mark is always around working, it's just he isn't grasping it, can't learn something your not capable of getting no matter how hard you try sometimes.

Read my earlier post, the critic of Sanchez wasn't the time he put in, but what he was focused on (Hasselbach said he was being taught, or focusing on the wrong things, Dilfer said the same) all everybody ever says is Mark is always around working, it's just he isn't grasping it, can't learn something your not capable of getting no matter how hard you try sometimes.

I hear ya on that, but just because it seems like you're putting in the time, doesn't mean you have a strong work ethic. Anyone here can rattle off numerous acquaintances that are at work endless hours or seem to work a lot, but could hardly vouch for their productivity.  If he's having trouble grasping things and not figuring out different ways to go about it, that's not a good work ethic in my opinion.  It's his job to figure it out and not go home until he understands that.  I'm not calling the kid lazy, but if there's rumblings of him having a hard time with learning, as the leader, he should resolve that.

Who cares about Jets West?   A turnover machine running a football camp. how funny is that?  A Mark Sanchez ego trip.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-01-11/mark-sanchez-ripped-as-lazy-by-teammate-according-to-report

Mark Sanchez ripped as 'lazy' by teammate, according to report

New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez continues to take a beating, this time from teammates quoted anonymously in Wednesday’s edition of the New York Daily News.

“We have to bring in another player that will make him work at practice,” one unidentified Jets player was quoted as saying. “He’s lazy and content because he knows he’s not going to be benched.”

Another unidentified teammate told the Daily News the club could not win a Super Bowl with Sanchez as its starter, adding it was a “no-brainer” and that the team was “stupid” if they didn’t try to replace Sanchez with Colts’ QB Peyton Manning.

“If you have a chance to get a healthy 36-year-old Peyton Manning and you don’t do it, then you’re stupid,” the anonymous player explained when asked if the Jets organization should make a move to acquire Manning once he is healthy. “If I could get a healthy 36-year-old Peyton Manning, then, hell yeah, I would trade Sanchez.”

Since entering the league in 2009, Sanchez has thrown for the second-most interceptions (51) and committed the second-most turnovers (63) in the NFL.

Noting Mark’s horrible numbers and the fact that the Jets finished the season ranked 25th in total offense, one of the most scathing comments was that Sanchez has been coddled and can’t handle criticism.

“They don’t want to be truthful with him,” one prominent player told the paper. “They treat him like a baby instead of a man. He goes in a hole when someone tells him the truth.”

Mark Sanchez has two years remaining on his rookie contract, but the players the paper talked to painted a picture that makes it hard to imagine the team moving forward with him at the helm.

“How can we when he’s not improving at all?” a player reportedly told the Daily. “He thinks he is, but he’s not. He has shown us what he’s capable of.”

Check out the following clip in which Jets’ linebacker Damien Woody responds to the criticisms of Mark Sanchez:

Where do you people get off saying no one questions his work ethic??? Geesh!

This. The original poster's spin on this is flat out wrong.

As if Mark Sanchez's week couldn't get much worse, now the demoted New York Jets quarterback is having his work ethic questioned on national television by an ex-teammate.

Former Jets defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, who played with the team from 2008-2010, told Showtime's "Inside the NFL" that Sanchez's play has regressed since his rookie season because he's been more concerned with his off the field image than trying to get better.

GOOD AS GONE: Tebow's time in New York nears end

Via Star-Ledger:

"(Sanchez) had a stellar offensive line," Jenkins said on the show Wednesday night. "He had running backs that kept the pressure off of him. He had the opportunity to grow and develop. What Sanchez has to take responsibility for is during the time that he could have gotten better he wanted to sit back. He wanted to pose for magazines, worry about his haircuts and do all of that stuff."

"I'm just saying, from what I saw him do, it was a lot better then what it is now. But he coasted. They coddled him. That was what was going on. This is a man's profession. You have to man up at some point in time and take care."

20121220sanchezgq

Jenkins blames shoots like this "Baywatch" inspired one for GQ for why Mark Sanchez hasn't improved as a quarterback.(Photo: GQ Magazine)

SAD FACES: 10 Expressions that define the Jets season

This isn't the first time Jenkins, who now covers the team for SNY, has called out Sanchez this season. In November, Jenkins said on a Jets postgame show that there was "a point where I wished some defensive end would have knocked him (Sanchez) out of a game so they wouldn't have had a choice but to put somebody else in (at QB)."

Jenkins backtracked on those comments several days later, saying he wouldn't want to see anything happen to Sanchez in "an injury capacity." I wouldn't look for him to reverse course this time.

Nope. He was on Michael Kay's show and questioned his work ethic specifically and said he wasn't putting in the time.

Where do you people get off saying no one questions his work ethic??? Geesh!

As if Mark Sanchez's week couldn't get much worse, now the demoted New York Jets quarterback is having his work ethic questioned on national television by an ex-teammate.

Former Jets defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, who played with the team from 2008-2010, told Showtime's "Inside the NFL" that Sanchez's play has regressed since his rookie season because he's been more concerned with his off the field image than trying to get better.

GOOD AS GONE: Tebow's time in New York nears end

Via Star-Ledger:

"(Sanchez) had a stellar offensive line," Jenkins said on the show Wednesday night. "He had running backs that kept the pressure off of him. He had the opportunity to grow and develop. What Sanchez has to take responsibility for is during the time that he could have gotten better he wanted to sit back. He wanted to pose for magazines, worry about his haircuts and do all of that stuff."

"I'm just saying, from what I saw him do, it was a lot better then what it is now. But he coasted. They coddled him. That was what was going on. This is a man's profession. You have to man up at some point in time and take care."

20121220sanchezgq

Jenkins blames shoots like this "Baywatch" inspired one for GQ for why Mark Sanchez hasn't improved as a quarterback.(Photo: GQ Magazine)

SAD FACES: 10 Expressions that define the Jets season

This isn't the first time Jenkins, who now covers the team for SNY, has called out Sanchez this season. In November, Jenkins said on a Jets postgame show that there was "a point where I wished some defensive end would have knocked him (Sanchez) out of a game so they wouldn't have had a choice but to put somebody else in (at QB)."

Jenkins backtracked on those comments several days later, saying he wouldn't want to see anything happen to Sanchez in "an injury capacity." I wouldn't look for him to reverse course this time.

That's one article, against 4 years of articles and reports about all the off-field work Sanchez puts in.

Sanchez, without a doubt, work hard at his craft. I've said it here for 4 straight years though, I've know plenty of people that are good at studying... but suck at taking tests. Outwork everyone, but still only a D student.

It happens.

Jenkins is fabricating, he only played like 5 games with Sanchez, and he played defense, wtf does he know about how hard Sanchez prepares? I can't stand Sanchez, but this new strain of criticism for his is absurd. The guys puts the work in, it just doesn't translate.

Kris Jenkins questioning anyone's work ethic is comical. I guess no one remembers his contract when he signed with the jets? They had to float money in his face just to get him into the gym and not to gain weight.

That's one article, against 4 years of articles and reports about all the off-field work Sanchez puts in.

Sanchez, without a doubt, work hard at his craft. I've said it here for 4 straight years though, I've know plenty of people that are good at studying... but suck at taking tests. Outwork everyone, but still only a D student.

It happens.

Jenkins is fabricating, he only played like 5 games with Sanchez, and he played defense, wtf does he know about how hard Sanchez prepares? I can't stand Sanchez, but this new strain of criticism for his is absurd. The guys puts the work in, it just doesn't translate.

Dude, Google "Mark Sanchez work ethic" and there are several articles given by different individuals! Where their is smoke.....

The original post was regarding how focused Geno is. From OTA's until TC he has significantly improved his foot work, Taking snaps from center, 3 step and 5 step drops and commanding the hundle and barking out the call.

Where has Mark improved after 4 years? He's gone backwards. He got the big money, and it shows. Geno's hungry and it shows.

Don't tell me Mark works hard, because we would at least see some improvement somewhere. He's regressed in every area.

Dude, Google "Mark Sanchez work ethic" and there are several articles given by different individuals! Where their is smoke.....

The original post was regarding how focused Geno is. From OTA's until TC he has significantly improved his foot work, Taking snaps from center, 3 step and 5 step drops and commanding the hundle and barking out the call.

Where has Mark improved after 4 years? He's gone backwards. He got the big money, and it shows. Geno's hungry and it shows.

Don't tell me Mark works hard, because we would at least see some improvement somewhere. He's regressed in every area.

He hasn't regressed anywhere. He was treated with baby gloves for two seasons and then they unleashed him and he's been awful. It has more to do with the fact that he has been asked to do more but hasn't been able to.

I'm not sure what your point is here. Sanchez has been disparaged enough and justifiably so but this is just silly and elementary. Sanchez will be off the team soon enough but there is no reason to beat a dead horse.

You guys are a bunch of soccer moms. Sanchez lives at the facility and stays in world-class shape, but he also poses for GQ and has weird naked Vine parties and just generally acts like an entitled SoCal candyboy. He's also ungodly terrible at football. Questioning his work ethic is perfectly acceptable.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-01-11/mark-sanchez-ripped-as-lazy-by-teammate-according-to-report

Mark Sanchez ripped as 'lazy' by teammate, according to report

New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez continues to take a beating, this time from teammates quoted anonymously in Wednesday’s edition of the New York Daily News.

“We have to bring in another player that will make him work at practice,” one unidentified Jets player was quoted as saying. “He’s lazy and content because he knows he’s not going to be benched.”

Another unidentified teammate told the Daily News the club could not win a Super Bowl with Sanchez as its starter, adding it was a “no-brainer” and that the team was “stupid” if they didn’t try to replace Sanchez with Colts’ QB Peyton Manning.

“If you have a chance to get a healthy 36-year-old Peyton Manning and you don’t do it, then you’re stupid,” the anonymous player explained when asked if the Jets organization should make a move to acquire Manning once he is healthy. “If I could get a healthy 36-year-old Peyton Manning, then, hell yeah, I would trade Sanchez.”

Since entering the league in 2009, Sanchez has thrown for the second-most interceptions (51) and committed the second-most turnovers (63) in the NFL.

Noting Mark’s horrible numbers and the fact that the Jets finished the season ranked 25th in total offense, one of the most scathing comments was that Sanchez has been coddled and can’t handle criticism.

“They don’t want to be truthful with him,” one prominent player told the paper. “They treat him like a baby instead of a man. He goes in a hole when someone tells him the truth.”

Mark Sanchez has two years remaining on his rookie contract, but the players the paper talked to painted a picture that makes it hard to imagine the team moving forward with him at the helm.

“How can we when he’s not improving at all?” a player reportedly told the Daily. “He thinks he is, but he’s not. He has shown us what he’s capable of.”

Check out the following clip in which Jets’ linebacker Damien Woody responds to the criticisms of Mark Sanchez:

I searched google too and found it over and over that "unnamed teammates" over and over again question his work ethic.

Found nothing on Hasselback.

Looking for all these posts about how great Geno is... All I found were ones about how he's having a solid training camp, but still holding onto the ball to long, and may be better than Mark Sanchez.

True, many of us do LOVE that we may not have to see Sanchez anymore.

Looking for all these posts about how great Geno is... All I found were ones about how he's having a solid training camp, but still holding onto the ball to long, and may be better than Mark Sanchez.

Well, considering he hasn't played in one regular season game yet would probably account for that. Although I'm sure their are college evaluations out there that would speak to both sided of his talent. I was just commenting on his no-nonsense approach in camp.

Archived