Smith Throws 2 picks in 7 on 7's

flgreen

Geno throws two picks in 7-on-7s

17 m ago By Kimberley A. Martin

CORTLAND – Geno Smith was bound to have a bad practice.

And today just happened to be the day.

During a session in which the focus was on red-zone efficiency, the Jets rookie quarterback threw two interceptions during 7-on-7 drills. The first came on a deflection (off the intended receiver) and was scooped up by second-year cornerback Antonio Allen. The second, however, was entirely on Smith. He threw a pass intended for Hayden Smith, but never saw linebacker Nick Bellore by the goal-line.

To no surprise, Smith was unfazed by his mistakes Monday.

Instead of throwing those two passes, he should have checked it down or just thrown the ball away.

“Down in the red zone, I need to do a better job of protecting the ball,” said Smith. “I know it’s 7-on-7 and you kind of want to force the emphasis of trying to get the ball in the end zone, but still be mindful that we’re still working game reps and that drill is made for us to kind of pretend we’re in the game and we’re down in the red zone and we’re passing the ball – you’ve always got to be mindful of turning it over. And that’s something that I did today. And that can be fixed. And I’ll improve on that.”

To this point, Smith had developed a reputation for protecting the football – and to his credit, he still has yet to throw a team-drill interception through training camp.

Rex Ryan kept things in perspective, saying: “it’s not like he’s going to be like Nolan Ryan and pitch a shutout out there. But as long as we learn from it, then it can almost be a positive. But if you don’t lean from it, obviously, it’s a huge negative.

“And, realistically, especially in the red zone. We talked about it forever,” the coach added, highlighting Mark Sanchez’s biggest issue over the past two seasons. The fifth-year QB leads the NFL with 52 turnovers in 2011-12.

“…When a defense gets a turnover in the red zone, it’s unbelievable what that does to the mentality of your unit and your football team. Here’s a team knocking on the door, they’re going to put points on the board and you turn it over. It’s huge. And likewise on offense, you’re right there, knocking at the door and you don’t come away with any points based on a turnover. And I’ve seen too many of them. It does kill you. And I think it’s bigger than, ‘Hey, it’s an interception, it’s a fumble in the red zone’ – no, no. It’s bigger than that. And that’s what we have to understand.”

Smith didn't consider his performance a setback in his QB competition with veteran Sanchez -- whom Ryan later raved about in his press conference. The rookie also doesnt see time as his enemy with just two weeks left in training camp.

"You've got to look at it in a positive manner," Smith said of his INTs. "I don't look at it as a setback. I view it as a learning experience. ...The two interceptions that I had down there in the red zone were forced balls. It's just a mindset -- if I'm a little cautious with the ball, then we don't have those turnovers and we at least walk away with three points. So that's something I'm pretty sure I'll be drilled hard on when we get into the film room."

Thanks a lot EY.

Please.  If anything this is a result of your opposition.

Fortunately for all parties involved, it was in 7-on-7s, and only one of the two were because of a bad through.

Smith is a work in progress.  But, that's what my captainship is all about.  Patience and getting the Jets back on the right track.

Smith has done a good job so far in camp, in not turning the ball over.  The real test starts Fri for him when the hitting the QB start.  He didn't throw many picks last year in college.  I think 6.  But he did have, I think,  32 fumbles in college.

Hopefully he'll get that under control in the NFL

Fortunately for all parties involved, it was in 7-on-7s, and only one of the two were because of a bad through.

Smith is a work in progress.  But, that's what my captainship is all about.  Patience and getting the Jets back on the right track.

Pssssssst.   128 is Captain

Pssssssst.   128 is Captain

No, he's not.

But this is exactly why we should have made PatriotReign37 JN Captain. 

It would be so cathartic to blame everything on him. 

We could have even made it so we ban him at the end of the year if the Jets have a losing record. 

Geno throws two picks in 7-on-7s

17 m ago By Kimberley A. Martin

CORTLAND – Geno Smith was bound to have a bad practice.

And today just happened to be the day.

During a session in which the focus was on red-zone efficiency, the Jets rookie quarterback threw two interceptions during 7-on-7 drills. The first came on a deflection (off the intended receiver) and was scooped up by second-year cornerback Antonio Allen. The second, however, was entirely on Smith. He threw a pass intended for Hayden Smith, but never saw linebacker Nick Bellore by the goal-line.

To no surprise, Smith was unfazed by his mistakes Monday.

Instead of throwing those two passes, he should have checked it down or just thrown the ball away.

“Down in the red zone, I need to do a better job of protecting the ball,” said Smith. “I know it’s 7-on-7 and you kind of want to force the emphasis of trying to get the ball in the end zone, but still be mindful that we’re still working game reps and that drill is made for us to kind of pretend we’re in the game and we’re down in the red zone and we’re passing the ball – you’ve always got to be mindful of turning it over. And that’s something that I did today. And that can be fixed. And I’ll improve on that.”

To this point, Smith had developed a reputation for protecting the football – and to his credit, he still has yet to throw a team-drill interception through training camp.

Rex Ryan kept things in perspective, saying: “it’s not like he’s going to be like Nolan Ryan and pitch a shutout out there. But as long as we learn from it, then it can almost be a positive. But if you don’t lean from it, obviously, it’s a huge negative.

“And, realistically, especially in the red zone. We talked about it forever,” the coach added, highlighting Mark Sanchez’s biggest issue over the past two seasons. The fifth-year QB leads the NFL with 52 turnovers in 2011-12.

“…When a defense gets a turnover in the red zone, it’s unbelievable what that does to the mentality of your unit and your football team. Here’s a team knocking on the door, they’re going to put points on the board and you turn it over. It’s huge. And likewise on offense, you’re right there, knocking at the door and you don’t come away with any points based on a turnover. And I’ve seen too many of them. It does kill you. And I think it’s bigger than, ‘Hey, it’s an interception, it’s a fumble in the red zone’ – no, no. It’s bigger than that. And that’s what we have to understand.”

Smith didn't consider his performance a setback in his QB competition with veteran Sanchez -- whom Ryan later raved about in his press conference. The rookie also doesnt see time as his enemy with just two weeks left in training camp.

"You've got to look at it in a positive manner," Smith said of his INTs. "I don't look at it as a setback. I view it as a learning experience. ...The two interceptions that I had down there in the red zone were forced balls. It's just a mindset -- if I'm a little cautious with the ball, then we don't have those turnovers and we at least walk away with three points. So that's something I'm pretty sure I'll be drilled hard on when we get into the film room."

While the second pick sucks, crap like that is bound to happen to every single QB, especially a rook.  That said, stuff like the bold is such a load of crap and why nobody has the least bit of respect for the beat writers around here, because this garbage just never stops.  So Geno should have known that when he actually hit his intended receiver, the guy wasn't going to catch it and instead deflect the ball into the arms of a safety?  And he should have used this magical foresight to know to check down the ball?  What utter nonsense.

I like what I read about his mentality.  He seems pretty smart, and seems like he is a hard worker.  I never really got that from Sanchez-- he's just politically correct in his interviews-- I never get a feel of what he actually thinks.

No, he's not.

But this is exactly why we should have made PatriotReign37 JN Captain. 

It would be so cathartic to blame everything on him. 

We could have even made it so we ban him at the end of the year if the Jets have a losing record. 

Klecko I realize this is hard for you to take but it is official.  128 has been sworn in by a mod, and has given a rousing acceptance speech, with thousands cheering. 

Joe C36 on 03 Aug 2013 said

"So do you accept the position?"

128 replied, in the most statesman like  address since the "Bring them to Berlin" Speech

"sure why the hell not

it's good to be back"     

The crowd went crazy 

While the second pick sucks, crap like that is bound to happen to every single QB, especially a rook.  That said, stuff like the bold is such a load of crap and why nobody has the least bit of respect for the beat writers around here, because this garbage just never stops.  So Geno should have known that when he actually hit his intended receiver, the guy wasn't going to catch it and instead deflect the ball into the arms of a safety?  And he should have used this magical foresight to know to check down the ball?  What utter nonsense.

Yes and yes. 

Duh. 

Klecko I realize this is hard for you to take but it is official.  128 has been sworn in by a mod, and has given a rousing acceptance speech, with thousands cheering. 

128 replied, in the most statesman like  address since the "Bring them to Berlin" Speech

"sure why the hell not

it's good to be back"     

The crowd went crazy 

I just neg-repped him for that post. 

We can't have a captain that could be banned at any moment for starting threads about arena league players. 

there are two kinds of deflections.  off a receiver or off a db.  sounds like one of these is not on geno.  I hate sloppy reporting.

not entirely true if a QB throws a ball behind the WR and it deflects off the WR it's not really the WR's fault. It depends if it was an accurately thrown ball. 

A bad day like today can actually help Geno win the starting job depending on how he handles it and learns from it and improves in the next practice. He sad the right things, now if he does the film, puts in some extra time and whatever mistake he made, and then has a good practice tomorrow it says a lot about him and what you can expect from his development.

"sure why the hell not

it's good to be back"     

The crowd went crazy 

And I don't understand that since you had more votes than 128.

A bad day like today can actually help Geno win the starting job depending on how he handles it and learns from it and improves in the next practice. He sad the right things, now if he does the film, puts in some extra time and whatever mistake he made, and then has a good practice tomorrow it says a lot about him and what you can expect from his development.

I agree.  We already know that Sanchez can't or doesn't learn.

I like what I read about his mentality.  He seems pretty smart, and seems like he is a hard worker.  I never really got that from Sanchez-- he's just politically correct in his interviews-- I never get a feel of what he actually thinks.

I'm going to take heat from the Cult of Geno for this but so be it.  The thing about Geno that concerns me is how he'll react if he isn't named the starter for week 1.  He seems determined for sure, but he also seems a bit surly.  He seems to avoid any unnecessary contact with Sanchez and the CoG loves that and sees it as a positive.  But given the rumblings about how he handled the disappointment of the draft, I wonder if he'll go into a total funk if he has to ride the bench to start the season.  Sorry but that would be a huge negative for me.  Is he going to avoid standing next to Sanchez while the defense is on the field and try to hold his own court?  I know they are competing but I'd like to get a sense that Geno can handle adversity because if he can't, then he isn't going to last very long in NY as a starting QB. 

And before anyone says it, no...I don't believe you make him the starter just to protect his ego or avoid 'delaying his development'.  Either he earns it in the eyes of the coaching staff or he doesn't. 

And I don't understand that since you had more votes than 128.

I informed my loyal followers   that I would not serve.  I threw my support behind JiF, but he wasn't on the ballot, so I voted for 128.

Besides there was a late turn out that apparently put 128 @ 1,000,000,000,000 votes.  Tough to argue with that. 

I informed my loyal followers   that I would not serve.  I threw my support behind JiF, but he wasn't on the ballot, so I voted for 128.

Besides there was a late turn out that apparently put 128 @ 1,000,000,000,000 votes.  Tough to argue with that. 

Those flood-gates really threw open, btw. 

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

not entirely true if a QB throws a ball behind the WR and it deflects off the WR it's not really the WR's fault. It depends if it was an accurately thrown ball. 

true.  not enough info provided

Doing a fine job may I add. I would also add that a rookie throwing 2 picks in a 7-7 drill is pretty common place.  If he is doing it 4 years rom now and still saying the same thing I would worryl But no way that would happen right?  wait.. damn!!

I'm going to take heat from the Cult of Geno for this but so be it.  The thing about Geno that concerns me is how he'll react if he isn't named the starter for week 1.  He seems determined for sure, but he also seems a bit surly.  He seems to avoid any unnecessary contact with Sanchez and the CoG loves that and sees it as a positive.  But given the rumblings about how he handled the disappointment of the draft, I wonder if he'll go into a total funk if he has to ride the bench to start the season.  Sorry but that would be a huge negative for me.  Is he going to avoid standing next to Sanchez while the defense is on the field and try to hold his own court?  I know they are competing but I'd like to get a sense that Geno can handle adversity because if he can't, then he isn't going to last very long in NY as a starting QB. 

And before anyone says it, no...I don't believe you make him the starter just to protect his ego or avoid 'delaying his development'.  Either he earns it in the eyes of the coaching staff or he doesn't. 

Not a bad point.  If he doesn't react well to it then plays poorly when he DOES get the opportunity, those will be signs that we need to draft another QB in '14.  I think Geno knows his time is coming sooner than later though.  Not sure why he would react to that news like he did in NYC when he wasn't a 1st rounder.

Enough of this Freudian analysis of Geno's frame of mind. 

Geno's relationship to Sanchez seems appropriate for his position.  Sanchez is trying to hang on as a "mentor" to Smith, hoping that his own play under Mornhinweg will improve to the point that the Jets keep him as starter.  Smith is keeping his distance and just going out there and showing what he's got.

Plenty of time for these two to get friendly after the starter is named.

.Not sure why he would react to that news like he did in NYC when he wasn't a 1st rounder.

Geno went from projected top ten to 39th selected.  Large financial hit and big emotional disappointment.  I don't blame him for acting emotionally.  Pulled himself together the next day, though.

Aaron Rodgers sulked on draft day and he only dropped from projected high first round down to low first round.  Rodgers turned out okay, didn't he?

Enough of this Freudian analysis of Geno's frame of mind. 

Geno's relationship to Sanchez seems appropriate for his position.  Sanchez is trying to hang on as a "mentor" to Smith, hoping that his own play under Mornhinweg will improve to the point that the Jets keep him as starter.  Smith is keeping his distance and just going out there and showing what he's got.

Plenty of time for these two to get friendly after the starter is named.

Geno isn't going to be a good NFL starter because symbolic penis.

What is the "Cult of Geno"?  Still waiting to see one post where anyone says that at this point he's anything special.  At best this board is a cautiously optimistic that he'll work our and hopeful we won't have to see Sanchez anymore.

As far as him not "standing next to Sanchez", well, in the reports he happened to be "standing next to Mornhinweg, which really, is where I want a rookie QB to be.  As for how he handed the draft disappointment, It could have been better.  But he's also 22 years old, was told he'd be a top pick, and on national television.  He was upset, and he considered not having the world see that anymore.  Should we really kill someone for doing something that likely wouldn't be out of the question for ourselves at 22 years old?

And, of course you don't make him the starter just to protect his ego... We've already tried that... Very recently... and look how well it worked.

Archived