Mehta gives McElroy a reach around

Pac

NY Jets need Greg McElroy as Geno Smith mentor The three-year veteran has been part-sounding board, part instructor in his mentorship since general manager John Idzik drafted Smith in the second round four months ago.

The most unappreciated guy in the locker room has won a national championship, graduated college in three years and currently sports a hideous training camp farmer’s tan.

When the Jets trim their roster to the mandatory 53 players this weekend, in a strategic process designed to fortify the present without sacrificing the future, Greg McElroy must remain.

McElroy’s influence and impact on rookie Geno Smith has been pivotal as the organization makes a transition at quarterback. The three-year veteran has been part-sounding board, part instructor in his mentorship since general manager John Idzik drafted Smith in the second round four months ago.

Although Smith and Mark Sanchez have a good relationship, the rookie’s reliance on McElroy, who has been removed from the Jets’ starting quarterback competition, has been invaluable in his development.

Sanchez leaned on Mark Brunell, who filled that role for a couple years.

The Jets need McElroy to help Smith through what promises to be a bumpy ride at times this season.

“It’s like having a second coach with Greg,” Smith told the Daily News. “It’s great when you have a guy who’s with you that you can go to if you’re not so sure about something . . . especially being a rookie with things spinning and going 100 miles per hour. You can always say, ‘Hey, Greg. What about this play? What should I do here?’ He can pretty much reiterate everything that (offensive coordinator) Marty (Mornhinweg) says.”

McElroy skipped the Jets’ preseason finale against the Eagles on Thursday at MetLife Stadium due to a mild knee sprain. Matt Simms, who went 33-for-44 for 285 yards in his first career start Thursday, has emerged as an intriguing option for the Jets’ No. 3 quarterback spot.

However, the shoulder injury Sanchez suffered last week clouds the Jets’ entire quarterback picture. People familiar with the situation believe that Sanchez, who was curiously inserted by Rex Ryan in the fourth quarter of the third preseason game last week, will not be healthy enough for the season opener against Tampa Bay on Sept. 8.

It’s unclear how long Sanchez will be out, which heightens McElroy’s value.

McElroy, a seventh-round pick from Alabama in 2011, has his limitations, but he proved last season that he can be a serviceable stopgap if needed. Ryan and Co. can’t afford to enter the regular season with just Smith, Simms and recently acquired Graham Harrell if Sanchez is shelved.

The Jets would ideally prefer to keep McElroy and Simms, who is eligible for the practice squad if the Jets cut him (assuming he clears waivers).

The top priority this season is properly evaluating Smith to determine whether he can be a franchise quarterback. The organization should foster the optimum environment for the rookie.

McElroy’s grasp of the new offense, coupled with his willingness to guide Smith, make him a necessary component for 2013.

“Greg’s the best,” Smith said. “I’ve learned a lot from him. He’s helped me out with protections. Even things not really about football; just how to be a professional. He’s won a national championship. He’s been around it his entire life. He’s got that nature about him that he just knows what he’s doing. He takes it very seriously. Overall, he’s just a hell of a competitor.

Smith added about the quarterbacks, “We all communicate with one another. But Greg has definitely pulled me to the side and said, ‘When you get this look, you might want to do this.’ Or, ‘These guys like to do this.’ Just the little things.”

McElroy, who went 11-for-19 for 145 yards and one touchdown in his lone preseason performance, has embraced helping Smith.

“Geno does a great job of asking questions,” McElroy said. “When we’re in the quarterbacks room, if there’s something he’s not sure about, he has no problem asking questions and getting clarification. He’s studying constantly. I’ve really enjoyed working with him.

“It doesn't matter the position. My goal is to always be there and to try to help them out in any way I possibly can. If they ever have a question, I would hope that I would be able to answer it and try to help them out and allow this team to improve in any way I possible I can.”

Idzik needs more players who share that attitude.

McElroy also probably has a better understanding of Mornhinweg’s West Coast system than anyone on the team other than the offensive coordinator. His ability to reinforce those principles to Smith has helped the rookie make important strides in the past few months.

Ryan admitted that McElroy “thinks he’s the smartest guy in the building because he is.”

The Jets should make the smart decision to keep him.

Simms -who knows he played against 2nd and 3rd stringers - all in meaningless games. At least he showed accuracy and a strong enough arm- an unknown for our QB over rthe last 4 years- that is why so many Jet fans are excited

A day in Mannish Mehta's life:

1. Wake up, prance to the bathroom - sit down - pee

2. Log onto every known online Jets fan forum, make not of the things they are generally positive about

3. Make sandwich for lunch, cut off the crust

4. Write blog posts, NOT articles, that lie about the Jets organization doing the opposite of what the fans are generally positive about

5. Put out plate of poison for neighborhood cats

6. Turn on the complete box set of Celtic Women, using a small razor cut inner thighs 

7. Log back onto every know online Jets fan forum, read their outrage

8. Fap

9. Fap more

10. Say a prayer to the devil, discuss that "deal" that was made, sleep soundly on a bed of doll parts

2. Log onto every known online Jets fan forum, make not of the things they are generally positive about

4. Write blog posts, NOT articles, that lie about the Jets organization doing the opposite of what the fans are generally positive about

6. Turn on the complete box set of Celtic Women, using a small razor cut inner thighs

8. Fap

9. Fap more

10. Say a prayer to the devil, discuss that "deal" that was made, sleep soundly on a bed of doll parts

Celtic Women are good. Mehta's clearly a Nickelback fan.

8. Fap

9. Fap more

Sick but I ike it

i gotta try the razor thing

anywho ...all 3 of them are douchebags imo (the "reporter", mcelroy, and smith) I just cant stand smith face, I just wanna grab him by the neck and rub his face in dirt...i dunno why.

8. Fap

9. Fap more

You forgot the afternoon gym session where he concentrates on high weight/low reps all while ignorning legs.

Obviously, if McElroy is cut, Mehta loses his only "source" and therefore has to write a clearly protective article. The truth is that Simms has a way higher ceiling than McElroy and frankly, McElroy hasn't been outstanding in any one thing...arm strength, mobility, threat recognition...so, cut the 7th rounder and keep Simms. To do otherwise would be extremely foolish. But again, we are talking about the Jets...anything is possible. 

LL

When the Jets trim their roster to the mandatory 53 players this weekend, in a strategic process designed to fortify the present without sacrificing the future, Greg McElroy must remain.

McElroy’s influence and impact on rookie Geno Smith has been pivotal as the organization makes a transition at quarterback. The three-year veteran has been part-sounding board, part instructor in his mentorship since general manager John Idzik drafted Smith in the second round four months ago.

Although Smith and Mark Sanchez have a good relationship, the rookie’s reliance on McElroy, who has been removed from the Jets’ starting quarterback competition, has been invaluable in his development.  Sanchez leaned on Mark Brunell, who filled that role for a couple years.

“It’s like having a second coach with Greg,” Smith told the Daily News. “It’s great when you have a guy who’s with you that you can go to if you’re not so sure about something . . . especially being a rookie with things spinning and going 100 miles per hour. You can always say, ‘Hey, Greg. What about this play? What should I do here?’ He can pretty much reiterate everything that (offensive coordinator) Marty (Mornhinweg) says.”

The Jets would ideally prefer to keep McElroy and Simms, who is eligible for the practice squad if the Jets cut him (assuming he clears waivers).

The top priority this season is properly evaluating Smith to determine whether he can be a franchise quarterback. The organization should foster the optimum environment for the rookie.

Idzik needs more players who share that attitude.

McElroy also probably has a better understanding of Mornhinweg’s West Coast system than anyone on the team other than the offensive coordinator. His ability to reinforce those principles to Smith has helped the rookie make important strides in the past few months.

Ryan admitted that McElroy “thinks he’s the smartest guy in the building because he is.”

If this article was written by a quality sportswriter who didn't have a history of trashing the team, then it would seem to be a good article and perhaps valid.  As it is, however, it's hard to take any of this seriously.  

I smell an agenda.  I think he sees this as a win-win opportunity for him.  Since the public has a short memory and sportswriters are never taken to task for things they write, I think he wants the Jets to keep McElroy so they will still be lousy at QB.  I think he wants them to cut Simms so he can go elsewhere, develop into a quality starter so he (Manish) can rip the Jets and Idzik for it.   If they keep Simms and cut McElroy, and Geno struggles, he can then say "I told you so" and rip them for not keeping McElroy to help Geno.

Still, if true, imagine how lost Geno might be right now if McElroy hadn't been here so far. OTOH, one could say that maybe McElroy isn't all that as an advisor since Geno's is struggling mightily.

I expected that Geno would not be ready in time to start the season.  I've thought all along that he needed time to develop slowly.  His head is spinning and he's thinking too much right now.  I think based on posts here (and other Jets boards I've skimmed), that most Jets fans underestimate how long it can take for a QB to fix fundamentals and how long it can take to make an adjustment from a playground offense that's almost always in shotgun formation, to a real NFL offense like the WCO.  I still think that if Geno isn't thrown to the wolves that he can develop into a solid NFL QB at the very least.  If he's thrown to the wolves in game 1, all bets are off.

If Brunell truly helped Sanchez, can you imagine the horrors of what his play would have been like without him around?  Maybe since Sanchez has gone backwards since Brunell left, that point is valid.

After Simms' play last night, there's no way on earth he clears waivers.  He seems to be the most ready to play when the season opens.  They have to keep him.  With Lee and Mornhinweg here, Geno will get plenty of good coachng from them.  I like McElroy, his attitude, and do think he's an asset to the team, but no way I'd keep him over Simms at this point, and I don't see how the Jets keep 4 QBs, especially when they have so many good young players in camp, some of whom they're probably gonna lose anyway once they waive them.  I'd be in favor of keeping him as a coach, but I don't see his being willing to do that.  He still wants to play and thinks he can.

Manish's comment about Idzik needing more players who are willing to help others so clearly is a valid point in general, but it at least seems that there are number of Jets veterans who are willing to help and do help the younger players.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the other day that Rex's comment about McElroy thinking he is the smartest guy in the building is a veiled shot at McElroy.  I don't doubt that McElroy is one of, if not THE smartest player on the team, and may be smarter than the CS too.  He's certainly 100X smarter than Rex and would probably make a better HC.

If this article was written by a quality sportswriter who didn't have a history of trashing the team, then it would seem to be a good article and perhaps valid.  As it is, however, it's hard to take any of this seriously.  

I smell an agenda.  I think he sees this as a win-win opportunity for him.  Since the public has a short memory and sportswriters are never taken to task for things they write, I think he wants the Jets to keep McElroy so they will still be lousy at QB.  I think he wants them to cut Simms so he can go elsewhere, develop into a quality starter so he (Manish) can rip the Jets and Idzik for it.   If they keep Simms and cut McElroy, and Geno struggles, he can then say "I told you so" and rip them for not keeping McElroy to help Geno.

Still, if true, imagine how lost Geno might be right now if McElroy hadn't been here so far. OTOH, one could say that maybe McElroy isn't all that as an advisor since Geno's is struggling mightily.

I expected that Geno would not be ready in time to start the season.  I've thought all along that he needed time to develop slowly.  His head is spinning and he's thinking too much right now.  I think based on posts here (and other Jets boards I've skimmed), that most Jets fans underestimate how long it can take for a QB to fix fundamentals and how long it can take to make an adjustment from a playground offense that's almost always in shotgun formation, to a real NFL offense like the WCO.  I still think that if Geno isn't thrown to the wolves that he can develop into a solid NFL QB at the very least.  If he's thrown to the wolves in game 1, all bets are off.

If Brunell truly helped Sanchez, can you imagine the horrors of what his play would have been like without him around?  Maybe since Sanchez has gone backwards since Brunell left, that point is valid.

After Simms' play last night, there's no way on earth he clears waivers.  He seems to be the most ready to play when the season opens.  They have to keep him.  With Lee and Mornhinweg here, Geno will get plenty of good coachng from them.  I like McElroy, his attitude, and do think he's an asset to the team, but no way I'd keep him over Simms at this point, and I don't see how the Jets keep 4 QBs, especially when they have so many good young players in camp, some of whom they're probably gonna lose anyway once they waive them.  I'd be in favor of keeping him as a coach, but I don't see his being willing to do that.  He still wants to play and thinks he can.

Manish's comment about Idzik needing more players who are willing to help others so clearly is a valid point in general, but it at least seems that there are number of Jets veterans who are willing to help and do help the younger players.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the other day that Rex's comment about McElroy thinking he is the smartest guy in the building is a veiled shot at McElroy.  I don't doubt that McElroy is one of, if not THE smartest player on the team, and may be smarter than the CS too.  He's certainly 100X smarter than Rex and would probably make a better HC.

Possible they carry 4 QBs until the point they're comfortable enough with Smith and Simms to cut Sanchez? He's getting 16 game checks no matter what, but doesn't mean he has to play here nor be on the roster. Only downside is if you really think McElroy is so bad he has less upside long term than Sanchez does through this season only. 

Sanchez is done here; let's get on with it. 

Possible they carry 4 QBs until the point they're comfortable enough with Smith and Simms to cut Sanchez? He's getting 16 game checks no matter what, but doesn't mean he has to play here nor be on the roster. Only downside is if you really think McElroy is so bad he has less upside long term than Sanchez does through this season only. 

Sanchez is done here; let's get on with it. 

I just don't think the Jets will cut Sanchez, and for more reasons than just the cap hit.  I don't think they can afford the cap hit.  Can you imagine the sheit storm that would hit the Jets if they cut Sanchez and went with Geno, Simms and McElroy?  Everyone from the NFL to the media would claim that the Jets were tanking for Clowney and had given up on this season and would be laughing at Wood, Idzik and Rex.  Idzik would never agree to it and nor would Rex ever agree to it unless they agreed to re-up him for 3 more years with a raise, and even then, he's so loyal to Sanchez, I'm not sure he'd do it.  I think he's already frustrated and doesn't like Idzik.  That would be the straw that broke the camel's back with him.  He might quit and walk out before the season even started.  Mornhinweg and Lee might too.  Even though most fans hate Sanchez and don't want to see him on the field, I think a surprising number would suddenly change their minds and be in an uproar with the Jets entering the season with those 3 at QB.  It's not gonna happen, so you might as well forget about it and prepare yourself for the fact that Sanchez is gonna be the starting QB for the Jets again this season.

I just don't think the Jets will cut Sanchez, and for more reasons than just the cap hit.  I don't think they can afford the cap hit.  Can you imagine the sheit storm that would hit the Jets if they cut Sanchez and went with Geno, Simms and McElroy?  Everyone from the NFL to the media would claim that the Jets were tanking for Clowney and had given up on this season and would be laughing at Wood, Idzik and Rex.  Idzik would never agree to it and nor would Rex ever agree to it unless they agreed to re-up him for 3 more years with a raise, and even then, he's so loyal to Sanchez, I'm not sure he'd do it.  I think he's already frustrated and doesn't like Idzik.  That would be the straw that broke the camel's back with him.  He might quit and walk out before the season even started.  Mornhinweg and Lee might too.  Even though most fans hate Sanchez and don't want to see him on the field, I think a surprising number would suddenly change their minds and be in an uproar with the Jets entering the season with those 3 at QB.  It's not gonna happen, so you might as well forget about it and prepare yourself for the fact that Sanchez is gonna be the starting QB for the Jets again this season.

His number is off the books in 2014. If either Smith or Simms can do a reasonable job entirely possible at some point midseason Sanchez is gone. 

Wrecks is not walking away for this and next year's salary. Whether he likes or hates Idizk has nothing to do with it. 

His number is off the books in 2014. If either Smith or Simms can do a reasonable job entirely possible at some point midseason Sanchez is gone. 

Wrecks is not walking away for this and next year's salary. Whether he likes or hates Idizk has nothing to do with it. 

Are you sure his number is off the books in 2014?  I think I've read on Jason's site or elsewhere that it isn't if the Jets cut him.  They'd incur a sizable dead money hit next season.

Still, even if it wouldn't cause a cap hit next season, do you think the Jets would cut Sanchez in mid-season and leave just 2 QBs on the roster?  That's not reality, nor is keeping 4 QBs.  I just don't ever see that happening.

I just don't think the Jets will cut Sanchez, and for more reasons than just the cap hit.  I don't think they can afford the cap hit.  Can you imagine the sheit storm that would hit the Jets if they cut Sanchez and went with Geno, Simms and McElroy?  Everyone from the NFL to the media would claim that the Jets were tanking for Clowney and had given up on this season and would be laughing at Wood, Idzik and Rex.  

"How could you possibly cut Sanchez?"

"50 turnovers.  Next question."

End of sh*tstorm.

"How could you possibly cut Sanchez?"

"50 turnovers.  Next question."

End of sh*tstorm.

It's not that simple.  You're looking at it as a fan, not as an NFL insider (GM or coach) would.

Even with all the turnovers, he is the only QB with any real experience and the thing about the team's playoff wins with him at QB would get thrown out there.

Listen, I don't like Sanchez any better than you.  I will be glad when he's no longer a part of the team, but I'm not willing to cut off my nose to spite my face.  There are valid reasons for keeping him around this season (over 8 million of them).  If they could afford the cap hit and didn't care about this season, then I'd be more inclined to agree. Do you think Rex is willing to just write off this season?  I don't.  I'm not sure Idzik is ready to just write it off and make such a ballsy move his rookie year as GM, either. Something like that could end his "honeymoon" with Woody very quickly.

As much as Rex loves Sanchez, there would be a huge blowup and rift created between Idzik and Rex that would never be breached.  It would be a given that Rex would be a goner and a lame duck.  The tension in and around the team would destroy morale and the season anyway.

Sorry, I just don't see it.

It's not that simple.  You're looking at it as a fan, not as an NFL insider (GM or coach) would.

My bad.  NFL insiders love having turnover machines on their roster.

All I'm saying is that any sh*tstorm could be nipped in the bud pretty easily.

LOL, true...

I'd argue that Brunell made the effort to help Sanchez, he didn't necessarily help him though.

LOL, true...

I'd argue that Brunell made the effort to help Sanchez, he didn't necessarily help him though.

Definitely.  It's not Brunell's fault that Sanchez is as dumb as a stump and can't learn or retain what he learned from Brunell.

Archived