Geno Smith's First Game In Perspective

CrazyCarl40

Geno Smith played solidly today and I hope it is a sign of things to come.  That said, I'm a Jets fan, so I know I must temper expectations.  Geno Smith's first game line reads as such:

24/38 256 Yards 1 TD 1 INT 6 Carries 47 Yards/fumble 80.6 Rating

Mark Sanchez's first game:

18/31 272 Yards 1 TD 1 INT 5 Carries 6 yards 84.3 Rating

Both guys won their first game, Sanchez getting a solid running game and Geno not.

I hope today is a good step in the right direction, but lets not load a ton of pressure too early on the guy.  He's going to make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

Geno could have curled up into a ball 10 different times today and didn't. The dude has stones. Sanchez's problem in life is that he thinks every part of his job is one big popularity contest and he overcompensated at every turn, whether it be with a forced pass or a gay headband or a weepy press conference. Geno Smith seems like he could give a sh*t about what anyone thinks about him. Granted, it's a small sample, but his performance today revealed some huge nuts.

his wepinz were getting knocked out

he had no running game

he lead the team in rushing

he lead the team on 2 scoring drives in the last 7 minutes of the game

so yeah, we need to rain on his parade because we're afraid of what fatcessa will say and that giants fan guy in accounting

Geno showed some really good things today regardless of what that stat line shows.

And in regard to your comparison, theres two big difference between the two. Firstly, Sanchez's stat line was 1000x worse than that 4 years into his career. The other big difference , and my favorite, is that Sanchez is DONE with the Jets and Geno is just starting.

Sanchez threw 2-3 more perfect interceptions that were dropped.  Did it in each of his first 2 games (or 2 of the first 3, I can't remember).  The throw is just as terrible, no matter whether or not the guy on the defense catches an easy pick or not.

Geno's pick was UG-LY.  Had another that technically could have been picked off if the D was in a little better position (intended for Gates, left side of the EZ).  He also had the strip-sack-fumble.

However, you're talking about all that stuff happening in his first half of NFL action.  In the 2nd half he really buckled down.  I was impressed also with some of the passes he DIDN'T make.  Threw into triple coverage once, but it was a 100% perfect pass to Cumberland.  Gets just as much credit or that as someone throwing a horrible should-be pick that's dropped by the D.  So you have to look at a lot more than just the stats.  His accuracy also got a lot better (stats reflecting it or not) as the game went on.  A few of those early passes (including completions) were thrown behind the receivers.  I was hoping it was just jitters & looks like it was.  Ball placement was much better as time went on (for the most part).

He also created a lot of plays on his own by buying time.  Being fair, he did benefit from some defensive holding & PI & unsportsmanlike calls (particularly the last one).  But if you are taking sacks or just throwing it away (or fumbling), you aren't taking any shot with your receiver & are not going to get those calls.  

Despite what we saw some of in pre-season, he most definitely did NOT spend the day staring down his primary target.  Wonderful to see that already, for a kid in his first game.  I'm sure in real-time it's a lot easier than it sounds to keep one's head on a swivel.  I know his predecessor had no skill for that or for extending plays.  

In addition to the vastly better ground game (as Carl brought up), Mark also had vastly better protection (which wasn't brought up).  There would have been a minimum of 2-3 more sacks and at least 2 more turnovers.  Mark is not exactly at his best when he doesn't have gobs of time.  Geno, comparatively, didn't curl up into a ball & go into panic mode.  He was pretty calm & composed.

He is, right now, a better QB than a healthy Mark Sanchez.  And I say this knowing he's likely to have some real stinkers this year.  Merely being better than Sanchez isn't saying much, since one could be better than Sanchez and still not be among the top 25 QBs in the game.  

But he's clearly given us hope that we might have a real QB.  A notion too many Jets fans scoffed at before the kid's first non-preseason start. 

Win shmin.  I still say this is a rebuilding year (if for no other reason just to ease the pain of the likely final unsuccessful outcome).  But if Geno's the goods, then it'll be great to get him 16 games of live practice, and I can stomach the losses knowing there may be hope.  It's one game, but I like what I saw so far.

Win shmin.  I still say this is a rebuilding year (if for no other reason just to ease the pain of the likely final unsuccessful outcome).  But if Geno's the goods, then it'll be great to get him 16 games of live practice, and I can stomach the losses knowing there may be hope.  It's one game, but I like what I saw so far.

Agree with this, but lol dude dropped interceptions is that even a real stat?

Geno Smith played solidly today and I hope it is a sign of things to come.  That said, I'm a Jets fan, so I know I must temper expectations.  Geno Smith's first game line reads as such:

Both guys won their first game, Sanchez getting a solid running game and Geno not.

I hope today is a good step in the right direction, but lets not load a ton of pressure too early on the guy.  He's going to make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

CrazyCarl's defense of Sanchez/hatred of Geno is sickening.

I thought this was pretty fair, considering.

Another tidbit, the second week of Sanchez rookie season he went out and beat New England with a solid day.  Let's hope that happens again.

hard to compare genos first game to marks first game

marks first game-top run game and top oline

genos first game-garbage running game and trash oline

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't remember the three pro bowlers in that  Texans defense that year, give me a sec, I'll come up with them.

Agree with this, but lol dude dropped interceptions is that even a real stat?

Has nothing to do with stats, as I said in my post.  

A dropped interception is a horribly thrown pass whether it's caught or not.  It was a pass thrown badly enough to get picked off.  There are also good throws that bounce off receivers' hands, pop up into the air and fall into the waiting arms of a defender.  Now that's an interception but we all know it wasn't a bad pass.  

There are also completed passes on bad throws and incomplete passes on good throws.  

I was speaking more to the throws than the outcome of the throws.  If our QB continues to make better throws more often, he'll be successful.  If a QB in a particular game only throws 1 pick because the D dropped some easy opportunities, one can figure that to be a turnover-prone QB.  And that's what Sanchez was.  

I was happy they were dropped because they led to wins and I'm a Jets fan.  But assessing how the guy played, you can't just ignore some really atrocious throws that didn't bite us in the ass solely due to poor play by the opposition.  Otherwise what you're left with is, years later, someone suggesting Rex won this game for us with his coaching.  He got away with it today, but if he continues to do that, it will (like it has) lead to losses that shouldn't have been.  Think of it as "tempting fate" if you want.

A dropped interception is a horribly thrown pass whether it's caught or not.  It was a pass thrown badly enough to get picked off.  There are also good throws that bounce off receivers' hands, pop up into the air and fall into the waiting arms of a defender.  Now that's an interception but we all know it wasn't a bad pass.  

There are also completed passes on bad throws and incomplete passes on good throws.  

I was speaking more to the throws than the outcome of the throws.  If our QB continues to make better throws more often, he'll be successful.  If a QB in a particular game only throws 1 pick because the D dropped some easy opportunities, one can figure that to be a turnover-prone QB.  And that's what Sanchez was.  

I was happy they were dropped because they led to wins and I'm a Jets fan.  But assessing how the guy played, you can't just ignore some really atrocious throws that didn't bite us in the ass solely due to poor play by the opposition.  Otherwise what you're left with is, years later, someone suggesting Rex won this game for us with his coaching.  He got away with it today, but if he continues to do that, it will (like it has) lead to losses that shouldn't have been.  Think of it as "tempting fate" if you want.

cmonman.jpg

Pretty sure he was trolling you.

And then there's the trump card:

TJ/Leon/Smith: 37 rushes for 184 yards and 2 tds

Powell/Ivory/Kerley: 23 rushes for 44 yards and 0 tds

Geno's first performance >> Sanchez's first performance and I actually was a huge fan of Sanchez's first game.  Geno did more with less and showed some huge stones.  I'd give up one of my own stones to have our 2009 offensive line on this team, might be one of the best olines i've seen in years.

All I am saying is I didn't want to draft Sanchez and when they did I got behind it and he showed some potential.

I didn't want to draft Geno and they did and gave him that starting role, I will get behind him because he's a Jet and now he has showed some potential.

I'm just trying to not get Great White'd here.

All I am saying is I didn't want to draft Sanchez and when they did I got behind it and he showed some potential.

I didn't want to draft Geno and they did and gave him that starting role, I will get behind him because he's a Jet and now he has showed some potential.

I'm just trying to not get Great White'd here.

Sanchez was just trying to get behind Brandon Moore. Or was it behind Brandon Moore's behind?

Geno showed some really good things today regardless of what that stat line shows.

And in regard to your comparison, theres two big difference between the two. Firstly, Sanchez's stat line was 1000x worse than that 4 years into his career. The other big difference , and my favorite, is that Sanchez is DONE with the Jets and Geno is just starting.

that stat line is probably better than 5/6 of the stat lines for Sanchez over the past few years

Archived