Sanchez already gone?

Freemanm

After what they've seen from Geno, the only way he doesn't start the entire season is via injury.  In that case, I think there would still be a serious consideration to go with Simms over Sanchez (if Sanchez was even off of IR by then).  At this point they're simply waiting for the offseason to cut him in order to make his cap hit more reasonable, nothing more than that.

He's probably done, but if Geno were to get hurt (heaven forbid), and Sanchez was healthy, he'd get the nod over Simms because that is how Rex operates.

That said, Sanchez has been nothing but class in this whole thing and Geno seems like he genuinely listens to him and appreciates the sideline help.

He's probably done, but if Geno were to get hurt (heaven forbid), and Sanchez was healthy, he'd get the nod over Simms because that is how Rex operates.

That said, Sanchez has been nothing but class in this whole thing and Geno seems like he genuinely listens to him and appreciates the sideline help.

Agreed. I don't think anyone has ever said Sanchez wasn't a good guy or a team player. The hate towards him is simply about football. He's been controversy free (minus the hot-dog thing) since he came here and has worked his butt off to help in any way that he could. Sometimes you just don't have what it takes though.

Meet your new Bucs starting QB

1hr

By Maggie Hendricks

gtf__176660131_57773049.jpg?w=640&h=435After weeks of discord in Tampa Bay, the Buccaneers are making a change at quarterback. ESPN is reporting Josh Freeman will be benched in favor of untested rookie Mike Glennon. Here’s what you need to know about the new guy:

• Glennon is young and untested. At 23, he has played in the pre-season, and wasn’t impressive. His best showing was in week two of the pre-season, when he went 12 for 22 for 121 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.
  • He is coming into a tough situation. With the Buccaneers 0-3, Freeman unhappy, and coach Greg Schiano’s job hanging by a string, he is in a pressure-packed situation.
  • Glennon was known for having an accurate, cannon arm at N.C. State. He threw for 31 touchdowns in two different seasons, and his quarterback rating didn’t dip below 130 in his final two seasons with the Wolfpack.
  • At 6-foot-7, he’s one of the tallest quarterbacks in the league.
  • He backed up now-Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson before Wilson transferred to Wisconsin.

I don't know if I'd call his little "I won the job" tantrum particularly classy, but for the most part he's been pretty good.  He's certainly much more tolerable when on the bench than under center.

this whole question is fantasy. In real life Sanchez has a torn labrum and is on the IR designated list. Which means he cant return before week 9 or something even if he was healthy. Which he's not.  as for trade value, he had none when he had a healthy throwing arm. 

Glennon has a head the size of an adult male fist.  With that said, there were tons of people on this board that would tell you before the draft that he was better than Geno.  In a similar vein, there are a ton of people on this board who don't know their ass from a whole in the ground, too.

I'd take a bucket of chicken for Sanchez right now. He's gone in the offseason anyways.

Agreed, I don't think any team is going to want Sanchez with his current salary cap. I also was not trying to criticize him as a person, he has been a class act since coming here, but as it was pointed out, he simply doesn't have what it takes to be a starting QB. I could see Rex keeping MS as the permanent backup (for a lot less $$, obviously) once his contract expires. As a backup, all he'd have to do is hand the ball off or throw a zero-yard sreen or dump pass.

Agreed, I don't think any team is going to want Sanchez with his current salary cap. I also was not trying to criticize him as a person, he has been a class act since coming here, but as it was pointed out, he simply doesn't have what it takes to be a starting QB. I could see Rex keeping MS as the permanent backup (for a lot less $$, obviously) once his contract expires. As a backup, all he'd have to do is hand the ball off or throw a zero-yard sreen or dump pass.

He's done here. He'd never be accepted by the fans again unless he makes the type of turn around he's not capable of making. Whether they knew it or not, the Jets decided to move on from Mark the second they drafted Geno.

After what they've seen from Geno, the only way he doesn't start the entire season is via injury.  In that case, I think there would still be a serious consideration to go with Simms over Sanchez (if Sanchez was even off of IR by then).  At this point they're simply waiting for the offseason to cut him in order to make his cap hit more reasonable, nothing more than that.

Way too early to proclaim that.  Rex will be coaching for his job down the stretch.  Two bad weeks in a row for Geno and they could justify making a change.

I will get ripped for this but I think Mark would be a good coach. He is dedicated to film study, a strong work ethic, and big time experience.

Way too early to proclaim that.  Rex will be coaching for his job down the stretch.  Two bad weeks in a row for Geno and they could justify making a change.

Benching Geno to start Sanchez would be the quickest way for Rex to get himself fired and ensure he never gets another HC gig again.  The page has officially been turned and there's no viable reason to possibly want Sanchez under center again.  The idea of benching the guy who is supposed to be your QB of the future because of two bad games in favor of some dipsh*t with 4 years worth of endless failures is more likely to get him run out of the NFL than it would be to help him keep his job.

As soon as Geno became the starter and showed just some flashes of ability, that was essentially the end of Sanchez as a Jet.  The team tossing him on IR only further confirmed that.  Absolutely nothing good can come of going back to him now.

Why would they cut him at this point? It makes no sense fiscally at all.

We're on the hook for the money regardless. We all know geno's era, or at the very least the post Sanchez era, has begun. Keeping him around does nothing for us. Getting rid of him, in any manner, is a good sign to all of us that we are moving on to a new generation. No one is trading us anything for him, and he isn't going to all of a sudden be a good QB. 

We're on the hook for the money regardless. We all know geno's era, or at the very least the post Sanchez era, has begun. Keeping him around does nothing for us. Getting rid of him, in any manner, is a good sign to all of us that we are moving on to a new generation. No one is trading us anything for him, and he isn't going to all of a sudden be a good QB. 

You hit the nail right on the head.

Smith has made some throws in his few starts that Sanchez will never make.

MS will be a decent back somewhere.

I wish we could stop seeing him on the sideline with that fag headband already.

I don't know if I'd call his little "I won the job" tantrum particularly classy, but for the most part he's been pretty good.  He's certainly much more tolerable when on the bench than under center.

We all know he won the job. The only reason Geno wasn't declared a starter early enough was because Jets were hoping he'd have a break out game to justify the move. Otherwise, Sanchez was all over the competition. And why not, he's 4 yr vet going into year 5 while Geno was a rookie.

Sanchez will still start in the NFL. If his last name was "McCown", he'd be in the NFL playing for another 10years. Sanchez is still a better QB than the bottom cellars. His problem? The FO never let him develop by not giving him consistent weapons. Too much turnover (pun also intended).

We all know he won the job. The only reason Geno wasn't declared a starter early enough was because Jets were hoping he'd have a break out game to justify the move. Otherwise, Sanchez was all over the competition. And why not, he's 4 yr vet going into year 5 while Geno was a rookie.

Sanchez will still start in the NFL. If his last name was "McCown", he'd be in the NFL playing for another 10years. Sanchez is still a better QB than the bottom cellars. His problem? The FO never let him develop by not giving him consistent weapons. Too much turnover (pun also intended).

Meh, I still contend that Sanchez "won" absolutely nothing.  The term "won" indicates that there were actions of Sanchez's this past preseason which in any way earned him the job.  There were absolutely none.  At best, he might have been set to be given the job by default because of Geno's awful outing against the Giants, but even then it simply would have been a matter of being a placeholder until Geno was deemed ready, as Mark had given the Jets no reason whatsoever to actually want him as their starter.  Sanchez still turned the ball over every time he stepped onto the field, was still throwing pick 6s to friggin' DL, still threw INTs in the endzone; basically doing everything you would possibly put at the top of the list of things for a QB not to do, particularly a 4-year starter at QB.

As far as the coaches and offensive weapons go, as bad as they may have been, none of that is an excuse for how awful of a QB Sanchez was and is.  There's nobody else that can be blamed for Sanchez repeatedly throwing INTs to DL, his constant fumbling or some of the other idiotic nonsense we've seen from him, like running into his own OL's ass.  That kind of crap takes a special kind of awfulness that's really hard to even believe is real.

Archived