Milliner out against Titans...Walls to start

Greenseed4

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/28009/green-day-jets-coping-with-injuries?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Barring a dramatic change, cornerback Dee Milliner and running backChris Ivory -- both dealing with hamstring injuries -- probably won't play Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. Time to analyze the contingency plans. 

nyj.gifAs of Thursday night, the Jets still were holding out hope for Ivory. If he's ruled out, they could wind up dressing only three running backs -- Bilal PowellAlex Green and rookie fullback Tommy Bohanon. That sounds like a dangerously low number, but they believe Bohanon is capable of playing tailback in a pinch. They can also use third-string tight end Konrad Reuland as a fullback; he lined up in the backfield at times last season, when he was deployed as an H-back. 

They will get some help next week, when Mike Goodson returns from his suspension. The Ivory situation has to be frustrating for the Jets, but his durability issues weren't a secret. That was the knock on him with the New Orleans; the Jets knew exactly what they were getting. Sure, he has talent, but talent doesn't help the team from the trainer's room. 

Milliner appears worse off than Ivory. At cornerback, Rex Ryan hinted that he'd like startDarrin Walls in the base defense, with Kyle Wilson playing in nickel situations. Wilson will play a lot because the Titans will be in a three-receiver package for most of the game. 

Ryan bristled when it was suggested that Milliner, who missed half the preseason with an Achilles' injury, is prone to injuries. Also remember, he missed the offseason recovering from shoulder surgery. 

"How many games did he miss in college?" Ryan asked. "Yeah, exactly, I think it was one game." 

But Milliner also underwent surgery five times in college. Obviously, the Jets weren't concerned because they drafted him ninth overall, paying him a fully guaranteed $12.6 million. Still, I recall what one longtime NFL coach told me the first time he met Milliner. He was stunned by the rookie's relatively slight frame, wondering how he'd handle the wear and tear of the NFL. 

Maybe we're starting to find out. 

Still, I recall what one longtime NFL coach told me the first time he met Milliner. He was stunned by the rookie's relatively slight frame, wondering how he'd handle the wear and tear of the NFL. 

6'0, 200 is a slight frame? That's news to me. 

hes getting injuries like this cause he missed time in camp. Thats all it is no more injury prone then the next guy

Pretty much same thing that happened to Revis, except his was after a holdout. Missing all that time and then jumping right back into things can lead to these types of injuries.  It's a long season, best to let him get healthy and contribute if we're still in the hunt later in the year.

6'0, 200 is a slight frame? That's news to me. 

well for a cornerback it doesn't seem to be, but generally speaking....6ft and 200# is a bit on the skinny side.  Put another 20# of muscle on the kid and he will be ready to play safety and could start contributing to the defense.

hes getting injuries like this cause he missed time in camp. Thats all it is no more injury prone then the next guy

Yeah and when Goodson finally comes back, he's gonna be in the same boat.  Probably will pull a damn hamstring in his first game back.

Both out and wont play im very concerned we drafted another 1st round bust and we still need a RB.

Rex Ryan announced today that Chris Ivory and Dee Milliner will not play Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. Both players are suffering from left hamstring injuries, though have improved this week. Milliner thinks he can play, Ryan said, but has barely practiced this week.

Other than Oday Aboushi, who dislocated his knee last week and will not play Sunday, the rest of the Jets’ active roster is healthy enough to face the Titans.

Ivory did not practice this week after playing just four snaps last weekend against the Buffalo Bills before injuring the tendon. The running back had a similar injury when he reported to training camp, and missed roughly half of the Jets' preseason preparation.

The injury to Milliner comes as the latest setback for the Jets' top draft pick. An Achilles injury cost Milliner two preseason games in August. The cornerback was benched for the second half of the Jets' Week 2 loss to the New England Patriots, which cost him a starting position in the Jets' base defense against the Bills. Milliner played just 23 of 87 snaps, according to ProFootballFocus, as an outside corner in the Jets' nickel package.

In Milliner’s absence, Darrin Walls will play outside in similar situations against the Titans. Kyle Wilson, who committed five of the Jets 20 penalties last week, will likely start opposite Antontio Cromartie in the Jets’ base defense, then shuttle inside to cover a slot player in multiple receiver sets.

The Jets will likely carry three running backs into Sunday's game. Bilal Powell, who set career highs with 27 carries and 149 yards against the Bills, will be the Jets' predominant ball carrier. Alex Green will back up Powell. The rookie fullback Tommy Bohanon could also serve as a halfback, Ryan said. As cover for Bohanon, the tight end Konrad Reuland can slide into the backfield to play fullback.

According to this article, Walls was the #1 ranked CB in preseason games, not just for our team...the entire NFL.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1760284-why-jets-undrafted-cornerback-darrin-walls-should-be-week-1-starter

Probably the best article I've ever read on Bleacher Report; well written, uses solid facts from PFF, all in all a thorough job of breaking down Walls' play thus far.  This is actually one of the better articles I've read in general, which is pretty damning on the behalf of our beat writers, but then again, they'd have to have more than a cursory knowledge of the game to write like this.  I'm excited to see what Walls has.  If Walls can develop and Dee turns out okay, we may not feel the effect that badly when Cro does hang em up or leaves.

I like Walls.

Since when has tweaking a hamstring had anything to do with the size of your frame?

This.

Both out and wont play im very concerned we drafted another 1st round bust and we still need a RB.

Rex Ryan announced today that Chris Ivory and Dee Milliner will not play Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. Both players are suffering from left hamstring injuries, though have improved this week. Milliner thinks he can play, Ryan said, but has barely practiced this week.

Other than Oday Aboushi, who dislocated his knee last week and will not play Sunday, the rest of the Jets’ active roster is healthy enough to face the Titans.

Ivory did not practice this week after playing just four snaps last weekend against the Buffalo Bills before injuring the tendon. The running back had a similar injury when he reported to training camp, and missed roughly half of the Jets' preseason preparation.

The injury to Milliner comes as the latest setback for the Jets' top draft pick. An Achilles injury cost Milliner two preseason games in August. The cornerback was benched for the second half of the Jets' Week 2 loss to the New England Patriots, which cost him a starting position in the Jets' base defense against the Bills. Milliner played just 23 of 87 snaps, according to ProFootballFocus, as an outside corner in the Jets' nickel package.

In Milliner’s absence, Darrin Walls will play outside in similar situations against the Titans. Kyle Wilson, who committed five of the Jets 20 penalties last week, will likely start opposite Antontio Cromartie in the Jets’ base defense, then shuttle inside to cover a slot player in multiple receiver sets.

The Jets will likely carry three running backs into Sunday's game. Bilal Powell, who set career highs with 27 carries and 149 yards against the Bills, will be the Jets' predominant ball carrier. Alex Green will back up Powell. The rookie fullback Tommy Bohanon could also serve as a halfback, Ryan said. As cover for Bohanon, the tight end Konrad Reuland can slide into the backfield to play fullback.

You are starting to be concerned ? LOL You are too mellowdramatic to be a football fan. Good grief.

Probably the best article I've ever read on Bleacher Report; well written, uses solid facts from PFF, all in all a thorough job of breaking down Walls' play thus far.  This is actually one of the better articles I've read in general, which is pretty damning on the behalf of our beat writers, but then again, they'd have to have more than a cursory knowledge of the game to write like this.  I'm excited to see what Walls has.  If Walls can develop and Dee turns out okay, we may not feel the effect that badly when Cro does hang em up or leaves.

My feelings exactly. What a great article. Makes me wonder what the hell have I been reading all these years. This is how all articles should be.

I would loooooooove to see walls urn out to be legit. Nothing wrong with having good reason to let Wilson walk and groom dee slowly.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/28009/green-day-jets-coping-with-injuries?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Barring a dramatic change, cornerback Dee Milliner and running backChris Ivory -- both dealing with hamstring injuries -- probably won't play Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. Time to analyze the contingency plans. 

nyj.gifAs of Thursday night, the Jets still were holding out hope for Ivory. If he's ruled out, they could wind up dressing only three running backs -- Bilal PowellAlex Green and rookie fullback Tommy Bohanon. That sounds like a dangerously low number, but they believe Bohanon is capable of playing tailback in a pinch. They can also use third-string tight end Konrad Reuland as a fullback; he lined up in the backfield at times last season, when he was deployed as an H-back. 

They will get some help next week, when Mike Goodson returns from his suspension. The Ivory situation has to be frustrating for the Jets, but his durability issues weren't a secret. That was the knock on him with the New Orleans; the Jets knew exactly what they were getting. Sure, he has talent, but talent doesn't help the team from the trainer's room. 

Milliner appears worse off than Ivory. At cornerback, Rex Ryan hinted that he'd like startDarrin Walls in the base defense, with Kyle Wilson playing in nickel situations. Wilson will play a lot because the Titans will be in a three-receiver package for most of the game. 

Ryan bristled when it was suggested that Milliner, who missed half the preseason with an Achilles' injury, is prone to injuries. Also remember, he missed the offseason recovering from shoulder surgery. 

"How many games did he miss in college?" Ryan asked. "Yeah, exactly, I think it was one game." 

But Milliner also underwent surgery five times in college. Obviously, the Jets weren't concerned because they drafted him ninth overall, paying him a fully guaranteed $12.6 million. Still, I recall what one longtime NFL coach told me the first time he met Milliner. He was stunned by the rookie's relatively slight frame, wondering how he'd handle the wear and tear of the NFL. 

Maybe we're starting to find out. 

Wait a sec. correct me if I am wrong please! didn't the Jets cut Goodson? 

Any game with increased minutes from Kyle Wilson has potential to be a bad game.

this is a player I used to stick up for but after last weeks display and him putting a victory in Jeopardy by acting like a complete idiot I have lost al respect for him. The pressure we create and now with the added bonus of Sacks our secondary has it even easier than before. IMO this guy should have been cut . 

On a team like the Jets every single game is important we can't afford to lose one being stupid because we very well may be a game or 2 from playoff contention when the year ends.

this is a player I used to stick up for but after last weeks display and him putting a victory in Jeopardy by acting like a complete idiot I have lost al respect for him. The pressure we create and now with the added bonus of Sacks our secondary has it even easier than before. IMO this guy should have been cut . 

On a team like the Jets every single game is important we can't afford to lose one being stupid because we very well may be a game or 2 from playoff contention when the year ends.

It pains me to think of this jackass being out there. Dee getting up to speed and Walls continuing to prosper are the ticket. 

Archived