Geno has more upside then Kaepernick, RG3 and Wilson and is less likely to slump as they have

Jimmy IRisH

I can see that some people in here are drinking the Kool Aid in mass quantities. If you know your Jets history you SHOULD know better than to christen Geno a "savior" just yet. Just let it happen and stop projecting dreams and wishes upon him to fulfill. If it happens great, if not I am not going down as one saying "He's the greatest" after five games. And I am certainly not going to say his potential is greater than a guy who took his team to the SB last year and one who might do so THIS year (Wilson), Please.

Says the guy whose username is "MexiRoll6." :face:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive seen that "Star is Born" Picture. Its pretty funny and pretty acurate to the Jets fanbase. Like this forum has said many times. The upside is higher with Geno. For example: Mark put his face into another mans buttox, meanwhile Geno merely used his own butt. Its apples and oranges really :winking0001:

Ive been very critical of Geno as of late but one thing that has me very excited was that he was actually stepping into his throws and NOT throwing off the back foot. The result ? Quicker release better velocity and NO Floaters. This could very well be due to the lack of consistent pressure from the Falcons but in previous weeks Geno was throwing off the back foot even with no pressure so this is actually a huge step forward for him. If he can keep this up he has the ability to be a pretty damn good QB ...the Question is can he consistently keep moving forward like this ? I hope he can because what we saw Monday night was very impressive he just needs to keep himself in that mindset every single week. It will take a lot of work but from what we hear Geno certainly will put in the work

Yep

If Smith steps up and plants his feet when he throws, he throws as good a ball as anyone.  In the previous 4 games when teams brought pressure,when he got moving around, mostly back, bad things happened.  For some reason the Falcons didn't pressure a rookie QB with many blitz's.  He sat in the pocket and hurt them.

I suspect when the Steelers see that tape they are going to bring the house.  Steelers have 2 weeks to prepare, Jets have 5 days.

As Klecko pointed out the Jets ran a few read option plays against the Falcons.  Think it would be a good idea to open up against the Steelers with a read option look to slow the pass rush down.  Marty was as valuable in Smith's performance as Smith was on Monday.  He used a lot of weird looks to keep the Falcons off Smith.  Hell I think they opened in a Wishbone. LOL.  They only threw the ball 20 times out of a WCO.  Surprise

Marty needs to do it again Sunday to protect Smith.  Smith needs to execute again.  This is a big game with the Pats coming into town the following week.  They can win two home games in a row, if Marty comes up with another brilliant game plan,  Smith executes it as well as he did Monday, and the front seven devours people.

In the end it's the same thing.  DON'T turn the ball over.  Confuse the D.  Smith's biggest + Monday, is that he executed the game plan 

I think the comparison with Sanchez is not really valid.  Geno already has 3 games under his belt where he was somewhere in the range of best, 2nd or 3rd best player on the field.  His play, particularly late in the game, played a direct role in getting us all 3 of our wins.  When could you ever say that about Mark?  Holmes/Braylon won us games.  Our running game won us games.  The D won us games.  It was always somebody else doing their job.  Meanwhile, Mark found ways to lose games even when the D gave up less than 10 points. 

Geno's floor has been higher and his ceiling shown to be far higher than Mark's thru 5 games.  It's early, but if we're talking eye test here, Geno has simply looked good for the most part.  He's been poised and shown the ability to battle back from adversity.  All of these are good things we can get excited about.

This was Smith's first game as an NFL starting QB in which he didn't turn the ball over multiple times. Lol.

I like what I'm seeing from Geno and Marty. I think Geno is being coached to be a true WCO QB, while at the same time, Marty isn't so ideologically pure that he's afraid to incorporate a lot of elements of Smith's college offense to keep him comfortable. Geno needs to continue to take his coaching. Pull the ball down and run or throw it away faster if there's nothing there. Avoid the negative plays, the sacks and turnovers, that's really the key for him.

The Jets need another smart game plan from Mornhinweg and another quality execution of that plan from Geno this week. Steelers will be hungry and prepared when they face the Jets on Sunday.

I would compare Geno more to Donovan McNabb. The only difference being that McNabb came in as a run first guy who became a pocket passer. 

Geno's got better speed than Big Ben. The Jets did run a couple of read options on Monday night. They just don't use it on every play like the Seahawks or Cowboys. 

While he may be a rapist, Ben extends the play better than anyone in the game.  So far, Geno looks more like a guy who can break off a good run after the play breaks down.  It's funny, with running QB's being the current flavor, the fact that Geno preferred to stay in the pocket and run as a last resort was actually considered a knock on him by some of the draft geniuses.   

While he may be a rapist, Ben extends the play better than anyone in the game.  So far, Geno looks more like a guy who can break off a good run after the play breaks down.  It's funny, with running QB's being the current flavor, the fact that Geno preferred to stay in the pocket and run as a last resort was actually considered a knock on him by some of the draft geniuses.   

Absolutely! Especially the rapist part

Yep

If Smith steps up and plants his feet when he throws, he throws as good a ball as anyone.  In the previous 4 games when teams brought pressure,when he got moving around, mostly back, bad things happened.  For some reason the Falcons didn't pressure a rookie QB with many blitz's.  He sat in the pocket and hurt them.

I suspect when the Steelers see that tape they are going to bring the house.  Steelers have 2 weeks to prepare, Jets have 5 days.

As Klecko pointed out the Jets ran a few read option plays against the Falcons.  Think it would be a good idea to open up against the Steelers with a read option look to slow the pass rush down.  Marty was as valuable in Smith's performance as Smith was on Monday.  He used a lot of weird looks to keep the Falcons off Smith.  Hell I think they opened in a Wishbone. LOL.  They only threw the ball 20 times out of a WCO.  Surprise

Marty needs to do it again Sunday to protect Smith.  Smith needs to execute again.  This is a big game with the Pats coming into town the following week.  They can win two home games in a row, if Marty comes up with another brilliant game plan,  Smith executes it as well as he did Monday, and the front seven devours people.

In the end it's the same thing.  DON'T turn the ball over.  Confuse the D.  Smith's biggest + Monday, is that he executed the game plan 

I agree with the overall post and pretty much everything in it, but I've seen this a few times and it's a bit misleading.  He was credited for 20 pass plays, however he was sacked 4 times and ran another 3, which puts the total to 27 called pass attempts and 19 designed runs and closer to the 59:41 ratio that we're used to.  I also think it seemed like a relatively low number of passes since we only had 46 or so offensive snaps.  Marty really seems to be riding or dying with Geno, regardless of the situation.  The way our team has been running it, I wouldn't be opposed to running the ball more, especially against the steelers, but Marty I'm interested to see what he and Geno can do.

I agree with the overall post and pretty much everything in it, but I've seen this a few times and it's a bit misleading.  He was credited for 20 pass plays, however he was sacked 4 times and ran another 3, which puts the total to 27 called pass attempts and 19 designed runs and closer to the 59:41 ratio that we're used to.  I also think it seemed like a relatively low number of passes since we only had 46 or so offensive snaps.  Marty really seems to be riding or dying with Geno, regardless of the situation.  The way our team has been running it, I wouldn't be opposed to running the ball more, especially against the steelers, but Marty I'm interested to see what he and Geno can do.

I think that might have been what impressed me most with Geno on Monday. Rex played a defense that allowed Atlanta to run a ton of plays and eat up clock, but Smith was really dynamic with the plays he had and scored 30 points.  

Look at Cam Newton's Second year. It was garbage because he had mobility and scrambling tendencies and didnt account for teams to scheme what he had dont the entire year before. Same with Kap and RG3 and Wilson...Sure they have decent records and can win games. But Why is Luck not having trouble? One thing stands out, He is a pocket passer 1st and foremost. Is he mobile? Hell yeah he is, just like smith. But Geno is committed to the pocket and he is far more likely to have really break out in his sophmore year then RG3, Wilson, Newton and Kap have faired. Because they all were a duel threat. Take away 1/2 the threat? not as good. Geno is closer to luck then the other guys. Feel free to bump this thread in a year when Geno's stats are in the 10 Tds 2 int's this time next year.

Am I wrong?

I think you're wrong.  At least compared to Kapernick.  Not to take a shot at Geno (who has been a very nice surprise so far) but I'd trade him for Kapernick in a heartbeat.

Look at Cam Newton's Second year. It was garbage because he had mobility and scrambling tendencies and didnt account for teams to scheme what he had dont the entire year before. Same with Kap and RG3 and Wilson...Sure they have decent records and can win games. But Why is Luck not having trouble? One thing stands out, He is a pocket passer 1st and foremost. Is he mobile? Hell yeah he is, just like smith. But Geno is committed to the pocket and he is far more likely to have really break out in his sophmore year then RG3, Wilson, Newton and Kap have faired. Because they all were a duel threat. Take away 1/2 the threat? not as good. Geno is closer to luck then the other guys. Feel free to bump this thread in a year when Geno's stats are in the 10 Tds 2 int's this time next year.

Am I wrong?

The one hole in this story is, Geno IS NOT comfortable sitting in the pocket, no he isn't looking to take off, and run with the ball, but he is bailing out of the pocket looking to scramble backwards, and side to side even when the pressure isn't there.  Sanchez had this same problem, the true elite QB's have eyes in the back, left side, right side, and front of their heads, and have this inate sense when to step up, throw, or bail on the pocket.  Until Geno shows he is comfortable standing in there with these guys just feet away from him, and stepping up, moving (not scrambling) side to side, not actually scrambling out of the pocket to make throws then I will get on board with this, but until then he is still a work in progress that has shown some serious upside, and some serious growing pains!

The one hole in this story is, Geno IS NOT comfortable sitting in the pocket, no he isn't looking to take off, and run with the ball, but he is bailing out of the pocket looking to scramble backwards, and side to side even when the pressure isn't there.  Sanchez had this same problem, the true elite QB's have eyes in the back, left side, right side, and front of their heads, and have this inate sense when to step up, throw, or bail on the pocket.  Until Geno shows he is comfortable standing in there with these guys just feet away from him, and stepping up, moving (not scrambling) side to side, not actually scrambling out of the pocket to make throws then I will get on board with this, but until then he is still a work in progress that has shown some serious upside, and some serious growing pains!

The good news is that all of Geno's flaws are fixable.  The things he has (Good arm, good accuracy, big, decent speed, poise) are things that are far more difficult to teach.  He came to us with the label of being raw, but already has shown more often than not that he looks a little bit like a middle-of-the-pack NFL veteran with upside to be really good.

Yep.  Kaepernick plays mostly on instincts.  Give the NFL a year of film to look at and they WILL figure you out. 

But why can't Kaepernick figure it out in a year, and stay 1 step ahead of the NFL?  Everyone dismisses these kids becaue guys like K Stewart, and now some are saying C Newton, didn't take that next step throwing the ball, but what makes Geno different that your willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he will make that leap, but Kaepernick can't?  Kaepernick exceeds Geno in every single physical skill imaginable, has a SB game under his belt in which he scored 30+ points, and brought his team back from the depths of defeat after the half, so why can't he become that pocket passer to?  Because he has had a few down games this year?  Seriously?  4 of the last 6 SB winning QB's are playing 10x's worse than Kappy is, and Wilson for that matter (Eli, Ben, and Flacco).

the deal is if he can continue to improve THEN WE MUST UPGRADE the skill positions around him and not ignore them like we have done in the past. I believe JIF said next years draft is rich with WR's and there are also some pretty nice free agents available as well. If Geno Improves every week and continues to mature and shows this organization and its fans hes the real deal they had better step up and give him what he needs.

If we keep winning were gonna miss out on the top WR's in the draft, and the fall off from the top 3 to the rest is HUGE!

But why can't Kaepernick figure it out in a year, and stay 1 step ahead of the NFL?  Everyone dismisses these kids becaue guys like K Stewart, and now some are saying C Newton, didn't take that next step throwing the ball, but what makes Geno different that your willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he will make that leap, but Kaepernick can't?  Kaepernick exceeds Geno in every single physical skill imaginable, has a SB game under his belt in which he scored 30+ points, and brought his team back from the depths of defeat after the half, so why can't he become that pocket passer to?  Because he has had a few down games this year?  Seriously?  4 of the last 6 SB winning QB's are playing 10x's worse than Kappy is, and Wilson for that matter (Eli, Ben, and Flacco).

I'm guessing it could be that Kaepernick doesn't have the desire to improve like, say, a Peyton Manning?  That's why the sophomore slump exists.  Many young QB's don't know what it takes to stay ahead of the curve in the NFL.  As for Cam Newton, it's pretty clear that his attitude is holding him back.  He's a moper like Sanchez.

That doesn't mean Kaepernick won't figure it out, however.  He did blow out the Packers earlier in the year, and better days are ahead for him this season.

I'm guessing it could be that Kaepernick doesn't have the desire to improve like, say, a Peyton Manning?  That's why the sophomore slump exists.  Many young QB's don't know what it takes to stay ahead of the curve in the NFL.  As for Cam Newton, it's pretty clear that his attitude is holding him back.  He's a moper like Sanchez.

That doesn't mean Kaepernick won't figure it out, however.  He did blow out the Packers earlier in the year, and better days are ahead for him this season.

From what I have seen your guess is wrong, Kaepernick is in the building at 6 AM everyday, and the last to leave from what everyone says (and I don't think a HC like Harbaugh would have handed over the keys to him if he wasn't), I think Kappy will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come, as much as he does run, he has that inate ability to know when to step out of bounds, and slide right before the hits come (I think that is why Mathews took that OB's cheap shot hit on him week 1, he never got a chance to hit him on the field, and was frustrated as hell). and I see the same things from Wilson to, and unlike most think Wilson doesn't run with it that much, and is a pass 1st QB, watch him week to week he knows when to pull it down, and will look to throw before running every time.

The good news is that all of Geno's flaws are fixable.  The things he has (Good arm, good accuracy, big, decent speed, poise) are things that are far more difficult to teach.  He came to us with the label of being raw, but already has shown more often than not that he looks a little bit like a middle-of-the-pack NFL veteran with upside to be really good.

The one thing you can't teach thou is comfort in the pocket, you either have it, or you don't.  That doesn't mean you will have it from day 1, what I am saying is you can't teach a pussy to be well not a pussy, it's just who he is, and the guy who runs into the burning building with out thinking, well that is who he is, and you can't teach that.  Geno doesn't look like a pussy on the field, but he also doesn't look like the guy who runs into the burning building, he is somewhere in between, and while I don't think he can be taught this skill, but I do think he can develop it on his own by playing more NFL games, and getting comfortable inside that pocket, and stop the panicing even when there is imagined pressure.  This is what will define what kind of QB Geno truley turns into, and if he does get comfortable with this, then it is a matter of how long that takes, 8 games like it took Wilson, or maybe 2 years like it takes some other QB's.

Archived