Geno Named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

Steveg

Posted by Josh Alper on October 9, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT

What a difference a week makes for Geno Smith.

At this time last week, all the talk about the Jets quarterback centered on whether or not the Jets would be forced to make a quarterback change at some point this season because of Smith’s proclivity for handing the ball over to the opposition.

This week, he’s the AFC offensive player of the week.Smith didn’t fall victim to turnovers on Monday night against the Falcons, avoiding them entirely while completing 16-of-20 passes for 199 yards and three touchdowns in a 30-28 win that boosted the Jets to 3-2 on the season. Smith didn’t throw a touchdown pass to win the game, but he did complete four passes and scramble for a first down to set up Nick Folk’s second walk-off field goal of the regular season.

Smith joins Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III as the only rookie quarterbacks in the last 20 years to win player of the week honors in the first five weeks of the regular season.

It has been a roller coaster start to Smith’s NFL career as he’s sandwiched a pair of dismal performances in the team’s losses between three wins that saw the Jets take the lead for good in the fourth quarter thanks in large part to Smith’s efforts. Those high points have lifted the dark cloud that hung over the Jets’ head for the entire offseason and replaced it with some hope that they may have taken a step forward at the most important position on the offense.

Even over Manning, huh?  Wow, go figure.  I guess that one INT was the difference maker, but either way, good for Geno.  Congrats to him.

I guess Peyton could get the award every week, but Geno was the highest rated QB of the week who pulled off a big road upset under the Monday Night lights.

Even over Manning, huh?  Wow, go figure.  I guess that one INT was the difference maker, but either way, good for Geno.  Congrats to him.

I think the 80% completion rate tipped the scale. 

What's amazing is that even including the Tennessee horror show, Geno has completed 73% of his passes the last two weeks. 

I'm note sure you can accurately hang "inaccurate" on this kid as a legit criticism. He's completed more than 63% of his passes in three of his four games. 

Jets QB Mark Sanchez named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow on Twitter

on November 24, 2010 at 11:55 AM, updated November 24, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Pinterest

Email

mark-sanchez.jpg

John O'Boyle / The Star-Ledger

Mark Sanchez completed 22-of-38 passes for 315 yards and three touchdowns Sunday.

Mark Sanchez, praised by his teammates and head coach alike this week, has been named the AFC's Offensive Player of the Week.

The second-year quarterback led the Jets on an improbable comeback against the Texans in last week's 30-27 win, driving 72 yards in 45 seconds for a game-winning touchdown to receiver Santonio Holmes. The drive was buoyed by a 42-yard strike to Braylon Edwards, an impeccable throw by Sanchez.

Sanchez completed 22-of-38 passes for 315 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. The 8-2 Jets face the 2-8 Bengals tomorrow.

Sorry, The Devil made me do it    :)

What's amazing is that even including the Tennessee horror show, Geno has completed 73% of his passes the last two weeks. 

I'm note sure you can accurately hang "inaccurate" on this kid as a legit criticism. He's completed more than 63% of his passes in three of his four games. 

I agree. I was just looking at his stats and he has a 60 percent completion percentage with 1200 yards in Five weeks. Sure he has 8 interceptions, but  I really cant complain about how he is playing right now. 

Follow on Twitter

Pinterest

Email

mark-sanchez.jpg

Mark Sanchez completed 22-of-38 passes for 315 yards and three touchdowns Sunday.

Mark Sanchez, praised by his teammates and head coach alike this week, has been named the AFC's Offensive Player of the Week.

The second-year quarterback led the Jets on an improbable comeback against the Texans in last week's 30-27 win, driving 72 yards in 45 seconds for a game-winning touchdown to receiver Santonio Holmes. The drive was buoyed by a 42-yard strike to Braylon Edwards, an impeccable throw by Sanchez.

Sanchez completed 22-of-38 passes for 315 yards, three touchdowns and one interception. The 8-2 Jets face the 2-8 Bengals tomorrow.

Sorry, The Devil made me do it     :)

Yeah but Geno did it in his first 5 game while Sanchez did it in his second year.  I also noticed that even when Sanchez was light out he still couln't complete 60% of his passes.  In that game he was 57%.

Not taking anything away from Geno, but I think the "lets not give it to manning EVERY week" tipped the scales more.

The guy completed over 70% of his passes in college.  Anyone who would call him inaccurate is just not paying attention.

Follow on Twitter

Pinterest

Email

mark-sanchez.jpg

Sorry, The Devil made me do it     :)

Yeah but Geno did it in his first 5 game while Sanchez did it in his second year.  I also noticed that even when Sanchez was light out he still couln't complete 60% of his passes.  In that game he was 57%.

Damn you, ninja'ing me.

The guy completed over 70% of his passes in college. Anyone who would call him inaccurate is just not paying attention.

Guys relax in college he threw alot of passes behind line of scrmiage and we run a west coast alot of short passes He has played well so far not great lets not think he's manning Brady luck or brees

Posted by Josh Alper on October 9, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT

What a difference a week makes for Geno Smith.

At this time last week, all the talk about the Jets quarterback centered on whether or not the Jets would be forced to make a quarterback change at some point this season because of Smith’s proclivity for handing the ball over to the opposition.

This week, he’s the AFC offensive player of the week.Smith didn’t fall victim to turnovers on Monday night against the Falcons, avoiding them entirely while completing 16-of-20 passes for 199 yards and three touchdowns in a 30-28 win that boosted the Jets to 3-2 on the season. Smith didn’t throw a touchdown pass to win the game, but he did complete four passes and scramble for a first down to set up Nick Folk’s second walk-off field goal of the regular season.

Smith joins Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III as the only rookie quarterbacks in the last 20 years to win player of the week honors in the first five weeks of the regular season.

It has been a roller coaster start to Smith’s NFL career as he’s sandwiched a pair of dismal performances in the team’s losses between three wins that saw the Jets take the lead for good in the fourth quarter thanks in large part to Smith’s efforts. Those high points have lifted the dark cloud that hung over the Jets’ head for the entire offseason and replaced it with some hope that they may have taken a step forward at the most important position on the offense.

Congratulations Brian Winters!

Archived