Idzik, Rex, Geno: Grade 'em through 7 weeks

Jetsfan80

I'm not too hopeful on Ivory. That running style is just not conducive to staying healthy at all.

Im just crossing my fingers in that regard. His running style hasn't contributed to his injuries so far...he's a hammy guy. But thew Pats wanted no part of tackling him late in the game.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL at "starters"

I lean more towards Slats Idzik rating than 80's, but the fact is that you can't really rate him yet. The real key is the lack of "mistakes"  For that I give him an A.  There hasn't been anything to handcuff the team and that was probably the most important thing, but an A?  Other than Sheldn he didn't bring in anybody so great.  Geno MAY turn out to be a great pickup, but he is not exactly the Russell Wilson pick just yet. 

Im just crossing my fingers in that regard. His running style hasn't contributed to his injuries so far...he's a hammy guy. But thew Pats wanted no part of tackling him late in the game.

I hate the way he lowers his head and tries to drive through everything. The body isn't made to do that 20 times per game over 16 weeks. IMO, he needs to make some adjustments or he'll spend the rest of his life on a trainer's table.

I hate the way he lowers his head and tries to drive through everything. The body isn't made to do that 20 times per game over 16 weeks. IMO, he needs to make some adjustments or he'll spend the rest of his life on a trainer's table.

Funny.  I love it.  Let him play and when he gets hurt move on.  That is why you need a shotgun approach at RB and not a sniper rifle. 

Can we get some perspective here regarding this season? This team was two absolute fluke penalties against Tampa and NE from being 2-5 right now instead of 4-3. If this team is 2-5 right now everyone is talking about Rex being fired and tanking the rest of the season for a high draft pick. Instead we are ready to anoint the GM and HC into Canton and lock them both up for 10+ years.

I like Idzik because I think he's putting together a nice core of players to take into 2014 without throwing around a ton of resources to do it.

Tannenbaum was holding Rex back, so I guess Idzik gets credit for allowing Rex to bloom into the beautiful flower he is today.

There was no QB on the roster to turn to, unfortunately. He tried to move to McElroy last year, who promptly got hurt. Benching a bad guy for a worse one doesn't constitute brilliance in coaching, IMHO. QB was a priority this year, and Idzik muffed on Garrard but was fortunate to have Geno drop to him in the second.

Rex hired Mornhinweg, and appears to have a QB who can move the football (even if he can't be completely trusted just yet) in Geno. Those are the biggest differences between this year, and the last two, IMHO. Rex is the same coach. There's been no BS catharsis. He just finally filled (and/or had filled) the two biggest holes in the organization since he's been here. When he gets a couple more pieces next year - watch out!

Oh, I'll watch! :lol:

Oh, I'll watch! :lol:

FWIW, it does appear that Rex had a big hand in the Mornhinweg signing. The guy signed on right about the same time as Idzik and I don't think it is too likely that Idzik was interviewing candidates before he got the job.  Rex deserves plenty of blame for Sparano, but at least he moved on quickly and seems to have made a good choice. 

It's symptomatic of the lack of institutional control that led to scumbags and washouts like Santonio Holmes and Mark Sanchez assuming positions of power in the organization. There was a leadership vacuum on the team the past two seasons that isn't there now, and that's thanks to Idzik.

Idzik definitely deserves credit for the draft picks.  But this team still isn't exceptionally talented. The coaches are making it work.

FWIW, it does appear that Rex had a big hand in the Mornhinweg signing. The guy signed on right about the same time as Idzik and I don't think it is too likely that Idzik was interviewing candidates before he got the job. Rex deserves plenty of blame for Sparano, but at least he moved on quickly and seems to have made a good choice.

Yeah, I don't think Rex is the worst coach ever, but I think he's over his head when it comes to literally anything other than scheming a defense. If Mornhinweg was Rex's call, kudos to him, but we'll never really know one way or the other. It's just as likely that Idzik had input into the hire while his agents were finalizing his Jets deal, but who knows?

Can we get some perspective here regarding this season? This team was two absolute fluke penalties against Tampa and NE from being 2-5 right now instead of 4-3. If this team is 2-5 right now everyone is talking about Rex being fired and tanking the rest of the season for a high draft pick. Instead we are ready to anoint the GM and HC into Canton and lock them both up for 10+ years.

Geez... you do a good job peeing in everyones wheaties...  guess I dont have to do it anymore and can just be a kool-aid drinking fan from now on...

The Jets had a former FBI guy working their security. Not sure if they still do, but it doesn't take too much nosing around to find out what kind of character a guy is. Whether he hangs with the wrong crowd, etc. I'm not killing the guy for it, but it was an oversight regarding his most expensive FA.

If I'm not mistaken, he retired a year or two ago and is no longer with the team.

FWIW, it does appear that Rex had a big hand in the Mornhinweg signing. The guy signed on right about the same time as Idzik and I don't think it is too likely that Idzik was interviewing candidates before he got the job.  Rex deserves plenty of blame for Sparano, but at least he moved on quickly and seems to have made a good choice. 

DIdnt they make the announcements on the same day?  Idzik had nothing to do with Marty.  

4-3 is our record?  Then they all get B minuses then.

Hits and misses by our GM

Rex still doesnt know how to coach a game as well as he talks one.

Geno has a long way to go as a QB in the NFL.

Agree. Let's not forget how two of the games were won either along with how decimated the Falcons were.

We're no longer a circus however minus the occassional Rex curious coaching decisions. The OC is a breath of fresh air.

The Jets had a former FBI guy working their security. Not sure if they still do, but it doesn't take too much nosing around to find out what kind of character a guy is. Whether he hangs with the wrong crowd, etc. I'm not killing the guy for it, but it was an oversight regarding his most expensive FA.

Not that it completely exonerates his decision making, but I thought the fella Goodson got pulled over with was the fiance of his cousin...or something like that. 

A night out drinking with (soon to be) family isn't exactly poor character. Questionable relatives exist in every family, and I for one hope we don't pass over potential roster upgrades because of a drunk uncle, or pot smoking brother-in-law.    

On what planet is Geno a lead OROY candidate?

Eddie Lacy

Keenan Allen

Giovani Bernard

Jordan Reed

All big contenders. Plus Terrance Williams and the lineman.

By virtue of being a qb alone, Geno is in the conversation. If the Jets finish above .500, he's the favorite.

On what planet is Jordan Reed a lead candidate? The planet where 26 catches through seven games is good production. The planet 1953.

when you go dumpster diving for talent with a couple of plug nickels, you gets misses.  I will wait until the end of next year to grade Idzik.  REx has done okay.  I guess maybe Idzik wanted him, or at least likes him, but I still think the choice should have been clearly his.  Geno stands in and throws.  Has a big arm.  He does not rattle.  Makes dumb mistakes.  Kind of like Vinny, who we were very happy with, except Geno has legs and escapabilty.  Geno will also face an easier schedule in the second half.  So I expect the ratings for Rex and Geno to improve by season's end.  Still, with Idzik, I say wait til next year in December.

Wait, so people are ripping Idzik because he gave us a roster lacking in talent?  With what resources was he supposed to effectively flip the roster in 1 offseason after the mess Tannenbaum left behind? 

I give Idzik the strongest grade because he had the balls to make the Revis deal, and turned that into Sheldon Richardson PLUS a 3rd or 4th rounder next offseason.  That's magical.

On what planet is Geno a lead OROY candidate?

Eddie Lacy

Keenan Allen

Giovani Bernard

Jordan Reed

All big contenders. Plus Terrance Williams and the lineman.

All contenders, but Geno belongs right in that group.  Being what looks to be the best QB in the draft class has a lot of pull in a league where QB's are the driving force.  AND he's already won an Offensive Player of the Week award.  That helps.

Garrard coming back or not, he completely misread that situation and left the team dangerously thin at QB to start the season.

Another misread: Goodson. Who does the background checks for the new boss? Because signing a guy who then promptly gets himself suspended from the league isn't a great move. He looked great on the field, though, right before he ended his year with an injury. Idzik gave him $1.3M this year, and they got 80 yards of offense out of him.

So DG told Idzik "hey - I'm going to give it a go but my knee is potentially schwansed"? He's got to depend on team Doc's for that info.

And there was little in Goodson's history to suggest he was going to script a scene from Hangover 5 and end up in charm school.

There's also zero indication that Goodson won't be back strong next season to contribute.

Looking at where the team is considering what he started with and the money constraints involved he's done an A - B job.

Not that it completely exonerates his decision making, but I thought the fella Goodson got pulled over with was the fiance of his cousin...or something like that. 

A night out drinking with (soon to be) family isn't exactly poor character. Questionable relatives exist in every family, and I for one hope we don't pass over potential roster upgrades because of a drunk uncle, or pot smoking brother-in-law.

So after a night out drinking with a questionable relative, do you often find yourself in rehab for a month?

Wait, so people are ripping Idzik because he gave us a roster lacking in talent?  With what resources was he supposed to effectively flip the roster in 1 offseason after the mess Tannenbaum left behind? 

That's why I said his grade would be an incomplete. He's doing the chopping this year. The rebuild begins in earnest next year, with his own front office in place. That's when we really start to get an idea about him.

I give Idzik the strongest grade because he had the balls to make the Revis deal, and turned that into Sheldon Richardson PLUS a 3rd or 4th rounder next offseason.  That's magical.

Balls to do what? I give him a lot of credit getting this year's #1 out of Tampa when everyone knew the Jets were unloading Revis - but he didn't make the decision to move Revis, that came from Woody. I'm sure, "how would you handle Revis?" was an interview question.

o_O

It looks better if you use a zero for the second eye... o_0

Anyway, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Jets as an organization were done with Revis well before Idzik was hired. Idzik did a great job with the execution of that trade, and I suspect he completely agreed with the move, but that wasn't his idea. That came from the top down.

mo wilk, demario davis, damon big snacks Harrison, antonio allen, bilal powell, darren walls, nick folk, jeff cumberland etc. what's Tanny's grade? 

his grade is a freakin ZERO

He took a AFC SB contender and let the Offensive line go to sh*t in Rex's year 3 and did a really poor job with the skill positions. Really Poor. When you have a contending team a few good moves away and turn it into a circus and not only fail to improve areas of need but destroy strong points you get a ZERO. Your post gets a zero too. :P

So after a night out drinking with a questionable relative, do you often find yourself in rehab for a month?

That's why I said his grade would be an incomplete. He's doing the chopping this year. The rebuild begins in earnest next year, with his own front office in place. That's when we really start to get an idea about him.

Balls to do what? I give him a lot of credit getting this year's #1 out of Tampa when everyone knew the Jets were unloading Revis - but he didn't make the decision to move Revis, that came from Woody. I'm sure, "how would you handle Revis?" was an interview question.

Incomplete is a chickenisht call bud.  You know what he was dealt this year.  You are smart enough to realize he had no cap room and had to purge the books for next year. He signed low cost, high(ish) ceiling guys with only giving up 1 4th round draft pick.  and he signed that guy to 3 years at a reasonable rate contract.  I guess he like him.  Anywho, he has cleared the books and may have some young talent on this team. as others have stated we have 5 of this years draft class that have already started a game?  Yes, next year we will get a better idea of what this guy Idzik is about in terms of building a team through FA and draft but for what he had to do for this year?  he gets a good grade.

Good for Rex too.  in a year that we didnt have the leverage to fill all the holes on this team he has gotten much more out of them than anyone outside of Floram park and max's serverroom ever thought. 

Wish we signed Cribbs earlier, watching ST was actually exciting last week.  Cribbs be legit!

Incomplete is a chickenisht call bud. 

I'm deeply concerned that you feel that way.

His best work was in the draft, a draft largely put together by Tannenbaum's staff. I don't think we can really start to judge him until next year, with his own staff in place, and see what he does when he has money to spend. But that shouldn't stop you from grading him however and whenever you see fit. Lol.

his grade is a freakin ZERO

He took a AFC SB contender and let the Offensive line go to sh*t in Rex's year 3 and did a really poor job with the skill positions. Really Poor. When you have a contending team a few good moves away and turn it into a circus and not only fail to improve areas of need but destroy strong points you get a ZERO. Your post gets a zero too. :P

You have no grade point average.

Idzik: C-. He's had his hits (Richardson, Colon) but a few more misses (Milliner thusfar, Goodson, Garrard, Ivory is just OK). Nevertheless, content with him for now.. can't wait to see what he has in store next year.

Rex: A-. Not perfect but he's doing much more with this team than anyone expected.

Geno: C+. Just a little better than I thought. More turnovers than I expected, but he moves the chains well and he's already shown us that he has a better arm AND better legs than Sanchez. Geno in year 1 is about the same, maybe even better than Sanchez would have been in year 5, so... gotta like that.

Archived