" Unlikely victory over Bengals should convince Idzik to make deadline deal " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Commentary
If the Jets can win it, they're in it Unlikely victory over Bengals should convince Idzik to make deadline deal
Gang Green Report
Rich Cimini looks ahead to the Jets' Week 8 matchup against the Bengals.
Seven games deep into a year best defined as a pleasant surprise, John Idzik still has reasons to do absolutely nothing with his roster before Tuesday's trade deadline, and none more convincing than this one:

His New York Jets have not proven to him that they are for real. In fact, even after their conquest of the Bradys and Belichicks, the Jets haven't proven to anyone that they are for real, if the definition of for real includes any team with a credible chance of making the playoffs and winning games once it gets there.

In other words, a team capable of getting hot enough to reach a Super Bowl that happens to be scheduled for the Jets' backyard.

Rex Ryan has yet to win two consecutive games this year, and the general manager who inherited him, Idzik, saw what he saw when the Jets were blown out by the Titans, when they failed to score a touchdown against the then-winless Steelers, and when they lucked out against the Buccaneers and (to a lesser extent) the Patriots. The GM saw a team strong enough to hurdle the painfully low bar many set for them in the preseason, and yet flawed enough to finish the season at or around .500, not good enough to qualify for the tournament.

And not good enough to justify the trading of a draft pick over the next three days to give the Jets the playmaker they desperately need if they want to be considered, you know, for real. But the Jets can change all that Sunday in Cincinnati, where they play a 5-2 Bengals team that has won three in a row. If they score this road upset a week after beating Tom Brady, and a week before facing Drew Brees in what would suddenly be advertised as a very big game, the Jets wouldn't only move their critics (this one included) to reevaluate who they are; they might move their GM to try to make that trade.

To offer that draft choice for Josh Gordon of the Browns, or Hakeem Nicks of the Giants, or Tony Gonzalez of the Falcons, or some other difference maker on Geno Smith's side of the ball.

"I think [idzik] should consider that if his team is 5-3 at the halfway point," said a league source close to the Jets. "Winning is so precious in professional sports, and if the price isn't prohibitive, it's worth taking a hard look at."

If the Jets want Idzik to give strong consideration to a trade that would aid their current cause, they should know that athletes send messages to their bosses in different ways. By publicly declaring his desire to enter free agency in July, Carmelo Anthony applied pressure to the Knicks' new GM, Steve Mills, just in case Mills planned on taking Melo's stated preference to stay put to the bank. Anthony was telling the front office to improve the cast around him and give him a fighting chance to win a title, or else.

By beating the Bengals and establishing their first winning streak of the year, the Jets would be making a statement to Idzik with their helmets and pads, not their mouths. They would be giving the GM a reason to believe they could actually make something of a New York football season that was supposed to be dead and buried once the Giants started coming undone.

"It would be huge," Ryan said of an unlikely victory over the Bengals. The Jets coach called Cincinnati one of the league's better teams.

"We have to be at our very best, there's no question," Ryan said, "to have a chance to beat these guys."

Antonio Cromartie has to shut down A.J. Green, and Muhammad Wilkerson and friends have to get to Andy Dalton more than Geno Atkins and friends get to Geno Smith. Of greater consequence, Smith has to be the rookie who was poised enough to outplay Brady, and not the rookie who has thrown three more interceptions than touchdowns in his first seven starts.

"I like Geno a lot," the source close to the Jets said, "but it's going to come down to how he handles the ups and downs of the season, and the challenge of not getting too high or too low, especially in New York.

"But if he doesn't turn the ball over, the Jets will be hard to beat because of that defense. Like Kansas City, the Jets are physical and have a good, strong front seven in a league where nobody plays defense. They have two running backs who can really play, and the best kicker in the NFL, and that formula will keep you in games. It's hard for me to imagine Cincinnati not being a one-score game in the fourth quarter."

And what if the Jets end up on the right side of that one-score game? What if Smith beats Dalton the way he beat Brady and Matt Ryan, and makes everyone forget, again, that Ryan got Mark Sanchez knocked out for the season on a senseless choice in August?

the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered.

Idzik will have until 4 p.m. Tuesday to answer those questions. He's got a defense, and an offensive line, and an intriguing young quarterback, all assets that make the 4-3 Jets a mildly interesting act, and something of a juggernaut when measured against the 1-6 Giants.

Only in a fastbreaking league, the Jets' lack of firepower at receiver reduces them to the equivalent of a halfcourt team. They're just not going to rip through the AFC side of the bracket if Jeremy Kerley is their most dangerous outside threat.

Chances are, Idzik will decide a relatively high draft pick for a better short-term receiver is too steep a price to pay for a rebuilding team he hopes and suspects is two years away from legitimate title contention.

But if the Jets believe they are capable of something magical right now, capable of giving New Yorkers a show before they get to the Knicks and the Nets, they have one last chance here to change Idzik's mind.

They can beat the Bengals, and put their own GM on the clock.

> http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9880777/if-new-york-jets-win-sunday-john-idzik-consider-deal?ex_cid=espnapi_public

The premise is fair, but he lost me when he conjured up the idea of trading for retired/completely-out-of-football-next-year Tony Gonzalez. I mean, really? The Gordon trade is the most promising and makes sense, but someone would really have to vet his background.

I agree.  Even Nicks is a bit of a stretch imo since he has serious injury issues and hasn't been very reliable this year.  A win vs Cincy would be huge, but it would be a bit premature to start trading away draft picks to go all in for this season imo.  While their schedule gets easier, the team could get blown out by the Saints and go into a funk.  Even if not, they could still lose games to the Saints, Ravens, Panthers, and Dolphins, and it's not entirely unbelievable that they could lose to the Browns and/or the Raiders.  If the trading deadline was following the Ravens' game, and the Jets beat both the Saints and the Ravens, then I'd definitely say make a trade.  Since it's not, I hope Idzik will show restraint.  It doesn't hurt to consider all opportunities to improve the team and speak to other teams, but I think he should think long and hard before he gives up any of next year's draft picks.

I agree.  Even Nicks is a bit of a stretch imo since he has serious injury issues and hasn't been very reliable this year.  A win vs Cincy would be huge, but it would be a bit premature to start trading away draft picks to go all in for this season imo.  While their schedule gets easier, the team could get blown out by the Saints and go into a funk.  Even if not, they could still lose games to the Saints, Ravens, Panthers, and Dolphins, and it's not entirely unbelievable that they could lose to the Browns and/or the Raiders.  If the trading deadline was following the Ravens' game, and the Jets beat both the Saints and the Ravens, then I'd definitely say make a trade.  Since it's not, I hope Idzik will show restraint.  It doesn't hurt to consider all opportunities to improve the team and speak to other teams, but I think he should think long and hard before he gives up any of next year's draft picks.

A trade for Josh Gordon wouldn't be going all in for this season. He's still got a couple years left on his rookie deal. If someone is capable of doing a background check on him, and they determine that he's not a major risk to smoke his way to a year off in the too near future, he'd be a good pick up.

But really, Cimini is just setting himself up for Monday's article, "No Need for Idzik to Make a Deal Before Deadline."

A trade for Josh Gordon wouldn't be going all in for this season. He's still got a couple years left on his rookie deal. If someone is capable of doing a background check on him, and they determine that he's not a major risk to smoke his way to a year off in the too near future, he'd be a good pick up.

But really, Cimini is just setting himself up for Monday's article, "No Need for Idzik to Make a Deal Before Deadline."

I disagree.  Since several other teams are inquiring about him, the price would likely be steep for Gordon (a high pick in 2014, likely a mid-round pick in 2014 and possibly another high pick in 2015 and/or a starting player).  Giving up that many picks would be akin to going "all in" imo.  If they could get him for a single 3rd round pick or even a 3rd and a 6th, ok, but that's not gonna happen.  The fact that he has a couple of years left on his rookie season really isn't relevant imo.  It would make it a better deal and potentially less costly than giving up that much for an older, more expensive player, but with the risk of his being forced to sit for a season, it's just not worth it.

I disagree.  Since several other teams are inquiring about him, the price would likely be steep for Gordon (a high pick in 2014, likely a mid-round pick in 2014 and possibly another high pick in 2015 and/or a starting player).  Giving up that many picks would be akin to going "all in" imo.  If they could get him for a single 3rd round pick or even a 3rd and a 6th, ok, but that's not gonna happen.  The fact that he has a couple of years left on his rookie season really isn't relevant imo.  It would make it a better deal and potentially less costly than giving up that much for an older, more expensive player, but with the risk of his being forced to sit for a season, it's just not worth it.

The Jets have to be seriously looking at WR in the first round next year hoping that player will be as good as Gordon. I would probably balk at what you think the price might be, but I don't think the price will be remotely close to that. He's talented, but has that whole potential year off thing hanging over his head.

I disagree. Since several other teams are inquiring about him, the price would likely be steep for Gordon (a high pick in 2014, likely a mid-round pick in 2014 and possibly another high pick in 2015 and/or a starting player). Giving up that many picks would be akin to going "all in" imo. If they could get him for a single 3rd round pick or even a 3rd and a 6th, ok, but that's not gonna happen. The fact that he has a couple of years left on his rookie season really isn't relevant imo. It would make it a better deal and potentially less costly than giving up that much for an older, more expensive player, but with the risk of his being forced to sit for a season, it's just not worth it.

You wouldn't get that kind of package if you were trading Calvin Johnson. The alleged asking price for Gordon is a 2nd rounder, with a late rounder thrown in. The Browns are waiting around for San Francisco to get desperate enough to make it a 1.

This is just Serby's article with better copyediting. Cimini's building the Jets up to ensure that Monday's tear-down will be that much more venomous.

it's kinda predictable. everyone is loading so much on this game and it's a really tough one for them to win. If they did win it, Cimini is right we can talk about them being a playoff team. coming off the Pats game, on the road, this is gonna be a tall order. The Jets don't really have an A.J. Green. 

You wouldn't get that kind of package if you were trading Calvin Johnson. The alleged asking price for Gordon is a 2nd rounder, with a late rounder thrown in. The Browns are waiting around for San Francisco to get desperate enough to make it a 1.

how about a 3rd and wilson??

The Jets have to be seriously looking at WR in the first round next year hoping that player will be as good as Gordon. I would probably balk at what you think the price might be, but I don't think the price will be remotely close to that. He's talented, but has that whole potential year off thing hanging over his head.

I agree that it's a tough choice.  Will the WR that they pick wind up being anywhere near as good as Gordon?  Even if so, how long will it take?  That's where we'll know how good Idzik is, both in terms of what he does or doesn't do regarding Gordon, and regarding his scouting and personnel people.  

FWIW, I saw 2 WRs today that look NFL ready.  Mike Evans of A&M and the Matthews kid of Vanderbilt.  Both are tall, run great routes, have great hands, and RAC ability.  I think the 2014 draft has the potential to be one of the best drafts ever for WRs if all the eligible players make themselves eligible for the draft.  Unless the Jets wind up with a .500 record or better, I think they have an excellent chance of getting a great WR prospect in the draft.

Perhaps not, but I believe Megatron would garner two 2nd round picks or a 1st and 3rd.  Why wouldn't he?  He's only probably the best WR in the game at the moment and AFAIK has no off the field or character issues or injury history.  The only thing against him is his age (28), and if his health stays good, he could possibly play 5-6 more years.  What you're reporting is very different from what others have posted here (multiple picks and/or a starter).  I might take the risk for a 2nd and probably would for a 3rd, but not a 1st.

it's kinda predictable. everyone is loading so much on this game and it's a really tough one for them to win. If they did win it, Cimini is right we can talk about them being a playoff team. coming off the Pats game, on the road, this is gonna be a tall order. The Jets don't ______ have an A.J. Green. 

fixed ^^

i am pretty much against trading away anything but a 5th rounder or lower unless the prize is a young talented receiver without injury concerns, and who has a couple of years left on a reaosnable contract. this team is not exactly only one receiver away from a legitimate superbowl berth. any trade has to look towards the future as well as the rest of this year. i want the jets to be a team to contend with for the next 10 years. sh*ttenbaum constantly mortgaged the future on hail mary trades. hoping idzik doesn't do the same thing.

not sure how i'd feel about josh gordon trade. a 1st or 2nd round pick is a definite No imo. the guy is one joint away from a year long suspension. not a risk the jets need to take right now

Perhaps not, but I believe Megatron would garner two 2nd round picks or a 1st and 3rd. Why wouldn't he? He's only probably the best WR in the game at the moment and AFAIK has no off the field or character issues or injury history. The only thing against him is his age (28), and if his health stays good, he could possibly play 5-6 more years. What you're reporting is very different from what others have posted here (multiple picks and/or a starter). I might take the risk for a 2nd and probably would for a 3rd, but not a 1st.

Megaton is the best in the game today and u think all they would get is 2. 2nd rounders or a 1 and 3 ? Have u watched this guy ! The jets got a 1 and 3 for a hurt revis ? If he was on the block the deal would be huge !

Megaton is the best in the game today and u think all they would get is 2. 2nd rounders or a 1 and 3 ? Have u watched this guy ! The jets got a 1 and 3 for a hurt revis ? If he was on the block the deal would be huge !

I agree he is the best in the game.  He's also 28 years old which would take away from his value somewhat.  It's hard to say what teams might give up for him.  Someone already said that what I said was too much, that no team would pay it.  Now, you're saying it's not enough.  LOL  Whatever.  Doesn't really matter, because there's no way they'd trade him.

Disregarding all the negatives from the loss, I was happy to see Sudfeld get some snaps on offense and have a couple catches. Granted it was only two receptions for ten yards or so, but at least he made the most of his time on the field. The kid has a lot of potential and this is the perfect year to flush out these types of players and see who can contribute going forward. Would like to see him get more involved as the weeks progress.

no need to trade draft picks. This team is not ready for prime time no matter what they do next week. Let's just evaluate the team from now to week 17 and then take stock of what we need so we can address through the draft. Unless we lose every game from now to week 17, we are not getting a sniff of Teddy bridgewater. The Jags will probably draft him 1st. And please no Manziel...that guy is just 100% trouble. 

no need to trade draft picks. This team is not ready for prime time no matter what they do next week. Let's just evaluate the team from now to week 17 and then take stock of what we need so we can address through the draft. Unless we lose every game from now to week 17, we are not getting a sniff of Teddy bridgewater. The Jags will probably draft him 1st. And please no Manziel...that guy is just 100% trouble. 

I agree that trading draft picks now would be a silly, knee-jerk reaction and a panic move.  Idzik and the Jets need to stay the course.  Use FA to set up the draft.

This game shows why such articles are stupid. Idzik is not going to make a decision until end of the season

Idzik im sure is monitoring and possibly inquiring about who's available to improve this team. We have a boat load of draft picks and a lot of needs. If he can get a young proven promising player for the right price I think he does so. No GM in football plays to lose or builds a team on projection of the draft. Free agency has changed the NFL and Idzik knows it.

Idzik im sure is monitoring and possibly inquiring about who's available to improve this team. We have a boat load of draft picks and a lot of needs. If he can get a young proven promising player for the right price I think he does so. No GM in football plays to lose or builds a team on projection of the draft. Free agency has changed the NFL and Idzik knows it.

agreed !..he'll stick to his plan. cool ~ ~

:winking0001:

Shoudl make a trade, Pats are weak as they proved again today. WE'll lose this game and next, but then schedule gets easy.

" . . . but then schedule gets easy. "

..true but, are we gonna win THOSE  games ? ?   :confused0082:

I agree he is the best in the game.  He's also 28 years old which would take away from his value somewhat.  It's hard to say what teams might give up for him.  Someone already said that what I said was too much, that no team would pay it.  Now, you're saying it's not enough.  LOL  Whatever.  Doesn't really matter, because there's no way they'd trade him.

He's going to go down as the GOAT at WR when all is said and done.  The Lions look like Rutgers and Matthew Stafford looks like a total bust when Megatron isn't in the lineup.  Everyone knows he's getting it thrown his way but it doesn't matter; he catches it over 3 guys.  His value is the highest of any non-QB not only in the NFL today, but probably in NFL history.

If we're trading draft picks to get a guy who will help us for a lot of years (I.E. why Josh Gordon was/is appealing) then there's nothing wrong with trading draft picks AT THE RIGHT PRICE. 

However, you are 100 % correct that Idzik can't really look to make a "win-now" move with the roster at hand.  Giving up a pair of 2nd rounders for, say, Larry Fitzgerald, who is now over 30, would probably be a bad move.

Archived