Idzik Refuses to Comment on Smith as QB Next Season

flgreen

John Idzik refuses to comment on Geno Smith as QB next season

Geno Smith is the Jets starting quarterback for the rest of this season, but the future is far from written in stone for the rookie.

General manager John Idzik refused to commit to Smith as the starting quarterback beyond this year, despite the Jets’ 5-4 record and his several strong points, including three second-half comeback wins this season.

Smith, the team’s second-round pick, inherited the starting position when incumbent starter Mark Sanchez went down with a season-ending shoulder injury in the third game of preseason.

Idzik would not outline how, when or even if Smith would be named the once and future starter.

“No I don’t think there’s a definitive timeline on it,” Idzik said. “You just have to watch it play out. I’ll say this: The quarterback competition is not like any other position. Competition will help us get better. We lived that this summer and I feel like it helped Geno, [and] helped Matt [simms]. felt like it helped Mark too, unfortunately he’s not here to live that out this season. “

As for Sanchez, Idzik said his shoulder surgery was a success and that the fifth-year quarterback has rehabbed well. But he wouldn’t commit to a future in green and white for Sanchez either.

“I’m not looking that far in advance. The way we handled Mark and his rehab, we’re staying the course that way. Mark so far has done a nice job with his rehab,” Idzik said. “We just want to get him back and get him 100 percent off his surgery. That’s what we’re focused on right now.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/newyork/sports/2013/11/04/john-idzik-refuses-to-comment-on-geno-smith-as-qb-next-season/#sthash.B8WdnN8O.dpuf

Idzik gets it.   It's all about finding a young franchise QB in todays NFL and moving on quickly once you realize you don't have 1.   Seattle churned QB's and picks until they found Wilson and now they have a 4-5 year window to win Super Bowls.  

I completely agree. Another thing that Idzik gets is that he doesn't have to answer any question he doesn't want to. The media literally has nothing on him and he doesn't feel the need to say or not say anything he doesn't feel like.  He just holds the company line and gives up nothing.

Such a refreshing change to have this guy who it almost looks like might have a friggin plan.

good on Idzik, don't make a rash judgement and anoint Geno the starter, he hasn't earned it yet. We fortunately have a team that doesn't need permanent captains or a single player leader who would normally be the QB, and we certainly don't need a "leadership council"(we see how well that has worked out for Miami). The only time there is pressure to anoint a QB the starter is when there is a leadership vacuum on your team or when you know that that QB is your franchise guy, we simply don't know with Geno yet & there is certainly not a leadership vacuuum. We shouldn't repeat the mistakes made with Sanchez, where he was named the starter, didn't have much competition, given a captaincy in 2010, but I doubt the team ever really saw him as a leader, leadership needs to be backed up by good play on the field for people to have confidence in you.

I completely agree. Another thing that Idzik gets is that he doesn't have to answer any question he doesn't want to. The media literally has nothing on him and he doesn't feel the need to say or not say anything he doesn't feel like. He just holds the company line and gives up nothing.

Such a refreshing change to have this guy who it almost looks like might have a friggin plan.

+1

Idzik understands the power relationship between team and media. On the one hand, you don't spoon-feed them and run to the phone every time there's a negative headline, but on the other hand, you don't pick fights with every reporter in town because you'll lose. Smile, shake hands, say nothing.

“No I don’t think there’s a definitive timeline on it,” Idzik said. “You just have to watch it play out. I’ll say this: The quarterback competition is not like any other position. Competition will help us get better. We lived that this summer and I feel like it helped Geno, [and] helped Matt [simms]. felt like it helped Mark too, unfortunately he’s not here to live that out this season.

He says he's not looking that far ahead, but you read between the lines here and it looks like he's definitely planning on bringing in competition for the starting QB job next year. The level of that competition will tell you what he and the organization think of Geno.

He says he's not looking that far ahead, but you read between the lines here and it looks like he's definitely planning on bringing in competition for the starting QB job next year. The level of that competition will tell you what he and the organization think of Geno.

Good point.  1st/2nd round QB = uh-oh for Geno.  3rd/4th rounder = Geno's job is pretty safe (but perhaps Matt Simms should be worried).

Same thing he is doing with ryan-Show me what you get. There are no more free passes with the NYJ.

Accountability.

Exactly and that is a good thing.

Luckily Rex stepped up and earned the extension they are finalizing right now.  Good news.

And in a few years when Rex's stock is back at a higher level where it belongs, I hope he remembers that Idzik was patient with him.  I would like to see Rex decide to keep Idzik around beyond this contract.  Hopefully when Rex and Woody decide that they do the right thing in a few years.  :)

Lol how have some of you not figured out Idziks way of going about things? This says nothing about what he thinks of Geno or if he is going to bring someone else in. He is not thinking past the next game. That's been his and the jets mentality since he got here. Its the same as Rex not naming Geno a starter for the season. Its game by game. Each player has to earn their spot in the next game from the coach to the players. Asking him these questions is dumb.

Lol how have some of you not figured out Idziks way of going about things? This says nothing about what he thinks of Geno or if he is going to bring someone else in. He is not thinking past the next game. That's been his and the jets mentality since he got here. Its the same as Rex not naming Geno a starter for the season. Its game by game. Each player has to earn their spot in the next game from the coach to the players. Asking him these questions is dumb.

If he's not thinking past the next game, he's a terrible executive. The coach should be living week to week, but the GM should already be formulating his plans for every position on the roster in 2014. And figuring out how that works with the players he might want to resign in 2015, 2016, etc. His job is long range thinking.

The fact that he's not saying anything is another story.

So far I really like what Idzik is doing.   He really seems to want to put the best roster together that he can without regard to who picked the players or what their contracts look like.    He wasted no time moving on from Peterman (his FA), created competition at just about every position including QB and RB, and found random street FA's to hold the fort at TE and WR.    

I think the best unheralded move to date was signing Colon.   Dude has been a stud on the OL and has even cut down on the penalties.   It will be interesting to see what type of contract Colon gets offered after the season.   

+1

Idzik understands the power relationship between team and media. On the one hand, you don't spoon-feed them and run to the phone every time there's a negative headline, but on the other hand, you don't pick fights with every reporter in town because you'll lose. Smile, shake hands, say nothing.

Exactly. Then you force the likes of Mehta to write BS articles about nothing.  Espn has nothing to dig out and therefore no one is talking about you except that you beat the Saints going into the Bye week off of a mean defensive game plan.  Nothin wrong with that. No sireebob! Nothing wrong with that at all. 

Meanwhile.... in Miami   :D

If he's not thinking past the next game, he's a terrible executive. The coach should be living week to week, but the GM should already be formulating his plans for every position on the roster in 2014. And figuring out how that works with the players he might want to resign in 2015, 2016, etc. His job is long range thinking.

The fact that he's not saying anything is another story.

You know what I mean man. He's not talking to the media about beyond the next game and I am fine with it.

I think the best unheralded move to date was signing Colon.   Dude has been a stud on the OL and has even cut down on the penalties.   It will be interesting to see what type of contract Colon gets offered after the season.   

i like Colon but he's the most penalized player on the most penalized team in the league. And he always gets hurt, that other shoe is gonna drop. 

i like Colon but he's the most penalized player on the most penalized team in the league. And he always gets hurt, that other shoe is gonna drop. 

Yeah yeah, we know, and Idzik is horrible for not bringing back a retired player, Colon won't be able to play RG, Winters won't be able to play LG, and Vlad is a future monster at guard, that is unless Idzik counts on him being that, then Vlad actually sucks and Idzik is an idiot for counting on him, unless Vlad plays well, then that makes you a genius while Idzik still sucks because he didn't draft Vlad himself.

Yeah, seems like you've been really on the mark so far with your evaluation of the guard position to date, and how it was apparently going to doom the Jets.

Yeah yeah, we know, and Idzik is horrible for not bringing back a retired player, Colon won't be able to play RG, Winters won't be able to play LG, and Vlad is a future monster at guard, that is unless Idzik counts on him being that, then Vlad actually sucks and Idzik is an idiot for counting on him, unless Vlad plays well, then that makes you a genius while Idzik still sucks because he didn't draft Vlad himself.

Yeah, seems like you've been really on the mark so far with your evaluation of the guard position to date, and how it was apparently going to doom the Jets.

one poster said he liked Colon cause he cut down on penalties, i pointed out he's not really cutting down on penalties. That's pretty much all that was said, all that other crap you put in there,

one poster said he liked Colon cause he cut down on penalties, i pointed out he's not really cutting down on penalties. That's pretty much all that was said, all that other crap you put in there,

Actually, you did not point that out at all, considering the point made was that the penalties have been cut down as the season has gone on, so therefore looking at a season total tells you literally nothing in that regard.  The fact that in his first 4 games Colon had 5 penalties for 40 yards compared to 3 for 17 in the last 5 games would actually prove his point to be correct.

As far as anything beyond that, you were the one who attempted to sneak in your little anti-Idzik guards-of-doom agenda that you've been wrong about for 6 months and counting, so don't blame that on me.

The "guard position"?  I haven't seen him be on the mark with anything regarding the Jets.    :winking0001:

Actually, you did not point that out at all, considering the point made was that the penalties have been cut down as the season has gone on, so therefore looking at a season total tells you literally nothing in that regard.  The fact that in his first 4 games Colon had 5 penalties for 40 yards compared to 3 for 17 in the last 5 games would actually prove his point to be correct.

As far as anything beyond that, you were the one who attempted to sneak in your little anti-Idzik guards-of-doom agenda that you've been wrong about for 6 months and counting, so don't blame that on me.

you interpreted it as penalties cut down as the season has gone on, i interpreted it as penalties cut down compared to previous seasons. Bottom line he's still getting penalites and by the way Winters isn't really playing well at all. If you look at the Jets OL the weak spot #1 is LG. Whether it's Vlad or Winters they have a guard problem. and also if we are going back 6 months and counting you left out Stephen Peterman in this discussion, who they expected to start. it was a terrible signing and guess what I was right about that.  Vlad was better than Peterman, how bad is Peterman, who by the way isn't even in football anymore. 

you interpreted it as penalties cut down as the season has gone on, i interpreted it as penalties cut down compared to previous seasons. Bottom line he's still getting penalites and by the way Winters isn't really playing well at all. If you look at the Jets OL the weak spot #1 is LG. Whether it's Vlad or Winters they have a guard problem. and also if we are going back 6 months and counting you left out Stephen Peterman in this discussion, who they expected to start. it was a terrible signing and guess what I was right about that.  Vlad was better than Peterman, how bad is Peterman, who by the way isn't even in football anymore. 

Interpret it however you like, but his penalties have in fact gone down as the season has progressed, whether you want to admit it or not.  I'm not really even sure what the argument that "he's still getting penalties" is even supposed to mean.  Am I missing the part where Moore, who is also out of the football mind you, was never penalized?  No one disputed that it was something that needed to be cleaned up, the point is that it appears to be happening, and the fact that it isn't at the point of absolutely none doesn't in any way change that.

As for Winters, he may be a work in progress, but he has still proven to be better than Vlad, who was better than Peterman.  Yeah, Peterman sucked and the Jets moved on, so what?  The idea that the Jets were pinning all of their hopes on him was all a complete fabrication by you to begin with, in order to help you push your agenda.  The guy was a vet minimum signing for crying out loud, and was immediately put into competition with a player who was already on the team, and Idzik then turned around and drafted two more OGs on top of that.  That does little to support your position, especially considering Idzik gladly cut Peterman once he was beat out for the job.  So what does this all prove other than your original interpretation of the situation being incorrect?

Colon's a whole lot o' mean - he destroyed Kenny Vaccaro on block - I thought the rook was going to be torn in half

Interpret it however you like, but his penalties have in fact gone down as the season has progressed, whether you want to admit it or not.  I'm not really even sure what the argument that "he's still getting penalties" is even supposed to mean.  Am I missing the part where Moore, who is also out of the football mind you, was never penalized?  No one disputed that it was something that needed to be cleaned up, the point is that it appears to be happening, and the fact that it isn't at the point of absolutely none doesn't in any way change that.

As for Winters, he may be a work in progress, but he has still proven to be better than Vlad, who was better than Peterman.  Yeah, Peterman sucked and the Jets moved on, so what?  The idea that the Jets were pinning all of their hopes on him was all a complete fabrication by you to begin with, in order to help you push your agenda.  The guy was a vet minimum signing for crying out loud, and was immediately put into competition with a player who was already on the team, and Idzik then turned around and drafted two more OGs on top of that.  That does little to support your position, especially considering Idzik gladly cut Peterman once he was beat out for the job.  So what does this all prove other than your original interpretation of the situation being incorrect?

first off I never said the Jets OL stunk or that the guards would doom the team. I said they used to be a top 5 line now they are top 15/top10 type of unit, because of the loss of cohesion and talent, year over year. I never said the Jets OL was even below average. If we are talking about who said what and when. I am a defender of the Jets OL. On this board and others I am constantly telling people it's the only good part of the offense.  

As for Colon this is a player who hasnt made it through the last 3 NFL seasons if he makes it through 16 games you can come back and tell me how wrong i was. I feel like he's gonna go down, it's only a matter of time. At which point Vlad and Winters will be starting. 

first off I never said the Jets OL stunk or that the guards would doom the team. I said they used to be a top 5 line now they are top 15/top10 type of unit, because of the loss of cohesion and talent, year over year. I never said the Jets OL was even below average. If we are talking about who said what and when. I am a defender of the Jets OL. On this board and others I am constantly telling people it's the only good part of the offense.  

As for Colon this is a player who hasnt made it through the last 3 NFL seasons if he makes it through 16 games you can come back and tell me how wrong i was. I feel like he's gonna go down, it's only a matter of time. At which point Vlad and Winters will be starting. 

You were pretty emphatic about your criticism of Idzik for not signing a retired player and that everyone else was playing out of position and/or not any good.  Perhaps you have since changed your tune on the guards and that's fine, but just as Vlad starting for 3 games didn't suddenly justify 4 years worth of him sucking to most people, don't expect opinions to suddenly change if an NFL player happens to get hurt.

In the end, Colon very well might get hurt but it was still better to roll the dice with him than simply counting on having the same team minus Colon from day one.  The Jets wouldn't have been able to get a better, or even comparable, option at the same price.  We also heard all last year how Landry was going to get hurt any day now, and we saw what happened there.

This guy Colon plays so hard and so violent that I can live with his penalties.  He just mauled NO last week.  If he gets hurt, I blame you :blowup:

Archived