NY Jets Place Stephen Hill On Injured Reserve

JetNation

Stephen Hill’s season is officially over as the Jets announced that they have placed the second year wide receiver on injured reserve. Stephen Hill has been battling with a knee injury all season long and was sidelined last Sunday versus the Oakland Raiders due to some knee swelling.

Much was expected from the wide receiver that was selected 43rd overall in 2012 by the Jets.  Hill hasn’t produced numbers the team hoped for this year with 23 receptions for 340 yards and a touchdown during the first eight games but a huge drop off in his last four active games with one reception for two yards. Head coach Rex Ryan expressed during his press conference that the reduced production was a result of Hill’s ailing knee and shutting him down for the season was best at this time. Meanwhile the Jets have elevated Saalim Hakim from the practice squad to the active roster.

Saalim Hakim is the younger brother of former NFL Rams receiver Az-Zahir Hakim. The 23 year old receiver went undrafted in 2012 and spent some time with the New Orleans Saints, Dallas Cowboys and St.Louis Rams. Hakim is listed as 6’2″, 195 lbs and was signed to the Jets practice squad on October 10th. Despite his time in the league, Hakim has never played a game in the NFL. He will get his opportunity to make some plays on Sunday when the Jets play the Carolina Panthers at the Bank of America stadium in Charlotte N.C.

Find out what the rest of Jets Nation is saying about Stephen Hill and other roster moves in our

I more than expect him to put up a 1000 yard season if he's ever capable of putting together a fully healthy season, but even as his staunchest defender on here, I'm becoming a bit leery over those knees. I still stand by that while he's obviously not on the level of Alshon, he can be a productive player for us should he remain un-injured.

Whose idea was it to start him from Day One?

I'm handing that designation to Tannenbaum, since he thought it prudent to fill out the roster with Chaz Schillens, Patrick Turner, Dexter Jackson, Jordan White, Royce Pollard, Eron Riley, Wes Kemp and Raymond Webber as the only other options besides Holmes, Kerley and one of the rawest rookies you'll ever see in Stephen Hill.  I honestly still have faith in the kid: he's got all the skills in the world and seems to have a genuine work ethic, which is something you rarely see in that position. 

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if any of those guys, obviously outside of Hill, Holmes and Kerley, are on an active 53 man roster? I mean sweet baby jesus Tanny, how is that what you bring to camp.

I'm handing that designation to Tannenbaum, since he thought it prudent to fill out the roster with Chaz Schillens, Patrick Turner, Dexter Jackson, Jordan White, Royce Pollard, Eron Riley, Wes Kemp and Raymond Webber as the only other options besides Holmes, Kerley and one of the rawest rookies you'll ever see in Stephen Hill. I honestly still have faith in the kid: he's got all the skills in the world and seems to have a genuine work ethic, which is something you rarely see in that position.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if any of those guys, obviously outside of Hill, Holmes and Kerley, are on an active 53 man roster? I mean sweet baby jesus Tanny, how is that what you bring to camp.

That's where I'd point the finger, too. Looking at the old articles, it sounds like the War Room was Rex v. Everyone on Hill, which made it weird when Rex handed him the starting job on the spot. Really makes you wonder about how deep-rooted the organizational disfunction runs over there, and if it really left with Tanny.

That's where I'd point the finger, too. Looking at the old articles, it sounds like the War Room was Rex v. Everyone on Hill, which made it weird when Rex handed him the starting job on the spot. Really makes you wonder about how deep-rooted the organizational disfunction runs over there, and if it really left with Tanny.

The most egregious case of GM overrulling coach is Geno over Rex's binky.. Consuela was only put in late against the Giants to lead a TD drive and lock down the starters job, it backfired, but the motivation was to force Idiotzik's hand

I understand counting on your $45 million man to step up  and be the man and the quickly-developing Kerley to be your slot guy, but counting on that much production from such a raw rookie, while having zero discernible depth is a pretty egregious offense. 

I understand counting on your $45 million man to step up and be the man and the quickly-developing Kerley to be your slot guy, but counting on that much production from such a raw rookie, while having zero discernible depth is a pretty egregious offense.

And repeated in exact detail with Geno.

Archived