Sooooo, the Panthers are pretty fired up over the Holmes comments

T0mShane

Insulted by Jets’ Santonio Holmes, Panthers vow to let play do talking

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/12/13/4542959/insulted-by-jets-santonio-holmes.html#.UqxhB2S9Kc0

By the time Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera held his Friday team meeting, every defensive back had heard what New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes had said about them.

Defensive end Charles Johnson had shown cornerback Captain Munnerlyn on Thursday afternoon. Later that day, free safety Mike Mitchell sent a link to Holmes’ comments, in which he called the Panthers’ secondary the “weakest link” on defense, to the entire defensive backfield.

So in the team meeting, Rivera told his players that the secondary shouldn’t be the only unit that was insulted – the team should be insulted.

“The whole team should take it personal,” Mitchell said. “I like that coach tries to do things like that. Always making it team, team, team. I think that’s very good how he does that for us.”

Said Munnerlyn: “Coach Rivera said something to the defense about it and like Coach Rivera says, it’s a team game. If he feels that way, everybody on the field on Sunday, we’re out there together and we’re going to play for each other.”

Holmes told New York media on Thursday what many observers have said since the preseason, but it still hit home for the Panthers, coming off a 31-13 loss to the Saints in which Drew Brees passed for 313 yards and four touchdowns.

“Not to call these guys out, but their secondary is probably the weakest link on their defense,” Holmes said.

Holmes has been hampered by injuries this season and has caught 16 passes for 381 yards on one of the worst passing offenses in the NFL. The Jets’ passing offense ranks 30th in the league with an average of 181 yards per game and will be without receiver Stephen Hill (knee) for the rest of the season after the team placed him on injured reserve Friday.

The Panthers’ secondary has 12 of the team’s 16 interceptions and owns the fifth-best pass defense in the league.

“He’s a great receiver. He’s an elite receiver,” Munnerlyn said. “It’s funny to me because we just go out there and play football and let our numbers speak for themselves. We’re ranked fifth in the league for a reason.

“Everybody’s going to talk about the front seven and how well they do and how they put pressure on the quarterback. Hey, that’s part of the game. You’ve got to have a great defensive line to have good (defensive backs) or great DBs to help you out. Some of the plays they make are because of us, and some of the plays that we make are because of them.

“If he feels that way, there’s a game that’s going to be played at 4:05 on Sunday and we’ll see what’s going to happen then.”

Rivera was more abbreviated in his response.

“People are going to say what they want to say. That’s fine,” Rivera said. “But that’s why you play them on Sunday to find out. Something I learned in all my years of playing, it’s all about showing up on Sunday and we’ll see how it goes. That’s why you play.”

This wasn’t the first time a Jets player had called out the Panthers this season. The Panthers gave up 4 1/2 sacks to Buffalo defensive end Mario Williams in the Week 2 loss, and the Bills played the Jets the following week.

Linebacker Antwan Barnes, who’s out for the season now and on New York’s injured reserve list, said there was no chance Williams would have the same success against the Jets.

“It’s the Panthers we’re talking about,” Barnes told Newsday in September.

Mitchell said he doesn’t care about the opinions of outsiders. But he sent the quote to his teammates to make sure they all saw it.

“Any time you get bulletin board material, it’s easy,” he said. “You grab it, snag it, they have it, our guys saw it and everyone’s aware of it now.”

Mitchell has a history of being outspoken. He said earlier this year NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was targeting him for fines, and last month he called Brees a “soft player.”

But he was quiet on Friday, saying he was saving his talk for the game.

“Absolutely,” he said. “And loudly.”

We're going to get absolutely smoked....one win over the damn Raiders and we've done nothing but congratulate ourselves all week from Rex to Geno to Sheldon to Holmes b.s.....this is why we can't win back to backs nowadays, Rexs nonsense worked with veteran leadership but young guys no matter how good they are ( Sheldon ) can't handle it

Said the Carolina Panthers, "The Jets secondary is also their weakness. Oh, and receiver. Then there's the offensive line. Of course, the quarterback. In fact, they've got that guy Wilkerson, and the kid Richardson. Maybe Ivory? Their slot receiver is ok... But yeah, we're not that worried."

Said the Carolina Panthers, "The Jets secondary is also their weakness. Oh, and receiver. Then there's the offensive line. Of course, the quarterback. In fact, they've got that guy Wilkerson, and the kid Richardson. Maybe Ivory? Their slot receiver is ok... But yeah, we're not that worried."

Nor should they be ...

Holmes is very talented.  But he is never healthy and is a train wreck in the locker room.

He is going to be addition by subtraction when they cut him after the season.

he dropped a signature Santonio Holmes catch last week. It didn't matter... cause they won... but if Holmes doesn't catch that back corner catch he's not Holmes anymore. And that's the reason why anyone tolerated him in the first place. 

he dropped a signature Santonio Holmes catch last week. It didn't matter... cause they won... but if Holmes doesn't catch that back corner catch he's not Holmes anymore. And that's the reason why anyone tolerated him in the first place. 

I never watched the replay of that.  At first it looked like it was knocked away.  But I heard people say it was a catch he should have made.  A tough catch but that is why he makes the big bucks.

He won't be able to say that next year though, when he is looking for a veteran minimum contract.

Holmes actually playing in an NFL game will be novel. In addition to his lack of giving a sh1t about the offense the absolute mishandling of this clown will be a big reason Wrecks will never be anything more than a DC after this. 

theyre playing he 6-7 Jets ...AT HOME.....do they really need a comment by Holmes to pump them up??? doubt it..

No, but any extra material is never good.    The Jets are nobody to the Panthers in all honesty. Not a rival, not in their division, it's just another game that comes before the Saints game.    If they didn't play so badly last week against the Saints, you would even say this could have been a trap game.    Adding any fuel to a game like this is just a bad move.    It turns one of those "need to win because we need to win"  into "Holmes and the Jets think we aren't good."   

I mean we are all Jets fans here.   The Jets and Rex have been using crap like this for years now.   They live and die by other teams and coaches comments and being considered the underdog.    

It might not mean anything, but it could mean instead of a 0-3 game in the second quarter, it's 0-17 because they jumped all over the Jets.   And the Jets have problems coming back from 0-3 games.

No, but any extra material is never good.    The Jets are nobody to the Panthers in all honesty. Not a rival, not in their division, it's just another game that comes before the Saints game.    If they didn't play so badly last week against the Saints, you would even say this could have been a trap game.    Adding any fuel to a game like this is just a bad move.    It turns one of those "need to win because we need to win"  into "Holmes and the Jets think we aren't good."   

I mean we are all Jets fans here.   The Jets and Rex have been using crap like this for years now.   They live and die by other teams and coaches comments and being considered the underdog.    

It might not mean anything, but it could mean instead of a 0-3 game in the second quarter, it's 0-17 because they jumped all over the Jets.   And the Jets have problems coming back from 0-3 games.

They're fighting for their chances to make the post-season, if they need to use some pretty benign comments from Santonio Holmes as extra motivation to make the playoffs, then they don't belong there. 

They're fighting for their chances to make the post-season, if they need to use some pretty benign comments from Santonio Holmes as extra motivation to make the playoffs, then they don't belong there. 

This happens in every sport in ever league around the world.  Some stupid comment does get people fired up.  Anybody that's ever played an ounce of any sport has had this rush and feelings.   Does it matter in the bigger picture? Probably not.  But sometimes it does.     

I mean look at the Jets vs the Patriots in the playoffs and the Jets vs the Steelers.     Look at Ivory against the Saints this year.    That's all you need to know about being fired up.  Sometimes the little things like being fired up just a little more for a game do matter.   It's not about should they, it's people are human.  They get pissed.   They get upset.  They get fired up.  Some get too much adrenaline and screw up.  Others get fired up and wind up having HOF like games.  It's just human nature.   

Taking a step back, it's about people.   Holmes made comments about particular players.  These guys aren't drones or robots.  So at the team level, who cares. But as a person, when somebody calls you out, and maybe it's true, you kind of take it personal.  Should you?  Many times you shouldn't, but you do.    And believe me, if Holmes goes out for a pass and gets laid out by said players,  the rest of the team is going to be jumping for joy.   That's what we as humans do.   

And come on, the Jets have been living the "we are disrespected mantra" for years under rex.    So will it matter?  Probably not.  But anytime Holmes misses a ball or gets knocked to the ground,  everybody on that Panthers team is going to be smiling.

This happens in every sport in ever league around the world.  Some stupid comment does get people fired up.  Anybody that's ever played an ounce of any sport has had this rush and feelings.   Does it matter in the bigger picture? Probably not.  But sometimes it does.     

I mean look at the Jets vs the Patriots in the playoffs and the Jets vs the Steelers.     Look at Ivory against the Saints this year.    That's all you need to know about being fired up.  Sometimes the little things like being fired up just a little more for a game do matter.   It's not about should they, it's people are human.  They get pissed.   They get upset.  They get fired up.  Some get too much adrenaline and screw up.  Others get fired up and wind up having HOF like games.  It's just human nature.   

The Jets beat the patriots because of a superior defensive game-plan and excellent execution. Ivory beat the saints because they are one of the, if not the worst defenses against the run in the entire league and the offensive line was opening up holes you could drive a Buick through. I've seen Tom Brady and Bellichick make snarky, douche-bag comments for over a decade now and only once have I see it thrown back in their face and that was the 2007 Super Bowl when Tom Brady was mocking Plaxico for his comments. Other than that, all the opposing teams who were fired up and wanted to beat them fell short, becuase they just weren't good enough. Talent wins, not getting pissed off at some remotely offensive comments an opposing WR makes.

Anectodally, sure, I'm sure plenty of players say they were fired up and it willed them to victory. I still think it's too rah-rah college for me: these guys are professionals playing for the chance to make the playoffs, if they need an excuse to perform at this junction then that's pathetic. Being fire up isn't going to make Captain Munerlyn play like prime Ed Reed, it's just not. Maybe they get fired up for the first few plays, but then it's business as usual.

How about on the other hand, how anger and emotion can cause you to forget or deviate from the game-plane or scheme and cause a mistake?  

I was really excited about this game.... I thought we actually had a chance. Now Holmes has to go and talk smack. All of the sudden, the Carolina Panthers are going to try to beat us. Damn it. If only Holmes never said anything, then we could be playing a team that would just roll over for us. As we all know, no one ever wants to win a game unless their opponent gets them mad!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said before, the Jets should have gotten rid of Holmes after his tantrum in 2011. He thinks he's a star because he HC one nice catch against a depleted Bills secondary early in the season. Other than that, he's contributed absolutely nothing since the 2010 season.

"I don't think motivation is important at all"

--fat white people behind desks

No one is saying motivation isn't important, at least from what I've read. What I see mentioned more, which is what I believe, is that these are professional athletes, who not only just got their asses handed to them on national television, but are fighting for their chances to make the playoffs. If some non-incendiary comment is the only thing that can get them amped for this game, then either their coaches are terrible motivators or they don't care about the game outside of the paycheck.

Archived