Should Rex Be The HC Next Year?

Maxman

Do you think that Rex Ryan should be the head coach of the Jets next season?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that Rex Ryan should be the head coach of the Jets next season?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the voting as it is progressing, we basically see a 50/50 split ( a bit for no, but probably not statistically significant), so I'm sure both Idzik and Woody have a feel for the pulse of the fanbase (if that even matters), and at this point, it appears that no matter what they do, roughly about half the fanbase will be upset.

However, which are the loudest or most boistrous? I would say that the group that always wants the coach fired is normally the loudest.

Comments?

Looking at the voting as it is progressing, we basically see a 50/50 split ( a bit for no, but probably not statistically significant), so I'm sure both Idzik and Woody have a feel for the pulse of the fanbase (if that even matters), and at this point, it appears that no matter what they do, roughly about half the fanbase will be upset.

However, which are the loudest or most boistrous? I would say that the group that always wants the coach fired is normally the loudest.

Comments?

Fans are ******* morons.  And if they let fans dictate their decisions, then they are ******* morons too.

Fans are lazy and ignorant, pointing to the Head Coach is easy. 

Can somebody please let me know what talent Rex "sent away"?  He may not have developed much or acquired much (if you are blaming him for the roster) but the sum total of competent players he has cut might be Danny Woodhead. 

Braylon Edwards and a bunch of other dudes out the league.

Voted no. The defense takes their right criticism now, but they'd probably be doing well enough if we could score points. And like I said in a post the other day, Rex has been toying around with his offensive philosophy since he got here, and it's about time we had someone running the ship who cared about scoring points. Defense wins championships.......when they're holding down a lead.

yeah, defenses don't win championships when your offense turns the ball over 30+ times a season.   And to make matters worse you don't have a QB or RB who can score you 30+ TDs a season.

I vote No.  But to clarify my "No" vote, I'd be OK with Idzik bringing him back IF he thinks he's the best candidate for the job. 

I still like Rex, but we've been laying it on him to oversee an improved offense (it isn't) while maintaining an elite pass defense (nope).  The inexplicable decline of Antonio Cromartie and the inability to get anything out of Dee Milliner are huge disappointments.  Rex used to be able to hang his hat on making elite QB's look pedestrian, but other than the Saints game, it's been quite the opposite; mediocre QB's have had some great days against us this year.

We can succeed on defense with this D-Line without Rex Ryan.  Question is, can the offense improve greatly without him?  The answer has to be yes.  If Idzik wants to bring in his own guy, no reason to complain if he does this offseason.

I vote No.  But to clarify my "No" vote, I'd be OK with Idzik bringing him back IF he thinks he's the best candidate for the job. 

I still like Rex, but we've been laying it on him to oversee an improved offense (it isn't) while maintaining an elite pass defense (nope).  The inexplicable decline of Antonio Cromartie and the inability to get anything out of Dee Milliner are huge disappointments.  Rex used to be able to hang his hat on making elite QB's look pedestrian, but other than the Saints game, it's been quite the opposite; mediocre QB's have had some great days against us this year.

We can succeed on defense with this D-Line without Rex Ryan.  Question is, can the offense improve greatly without him?  The answer has to be yes.  If Idzik wants to bring in his own guy, no reason to complain if he does this offseason.

So his GM traded the best corner in the league, and the guy they put their faith in to take the reigns declines at unbelievable rate and the GM's first ever pick is a CB who sucks badly, and the same GM let his best safety walk and its Rex's fault the pass defense declined?

Gotcha.

Fans are ******* morons.  And if they let fans dictate their decisions, then they are ******* morons too.

Not arguing all those points, but fans still buy tickets, buy jerseys, buy beer (big time) buy hot dogs and when a team is winning and has buzz, has excitement, they buy MORE.

Also, I plead guilty to lazy and ignorant becuase I have a huge BULLSEYE on the back of our head coach. Sorry.

So if Rex skillset is supposed to be  good defense schemes and that total defense is not up to par- blame Idzik?  Everything my department would do wrong is my supervisor's fault.

I'd say his history shows he's very good at what he does.

Its not a great big surprise that the D took a step back with 7 new starters, 3 of them in the secondary, 1 rookie, 1 first year starter and Cro the only returning starter for the Jets secondary has had his worst season. 

You can scheme all you want but you need the players to execute.

People questioning Rex's ability to coach defense are ridiculous.

Its not a great big surprise that the D took a step back with 7 new starters, 3 of them in the secondary, 1 rookie, 1 first year starter and Cro the only returning starter for the Jets secondary has had his worst season. 

Last 2 weeks for Rex propping up. Everyone get in while you can

The Ravens defense has changed a lot of players. They still seem to be doing OK.

Yeah, fans are lazy and ignorant, pointing to the GM is easy.

Man I need to get a job like Rex has. Have some lucky success early on, and then nothing else ever is my fault forever. Blame everyone but Rex. That is the "un-lazy", "smart" thing to do.

LOL

Last 2 weeks for Rex propping up. Everyone get in while you can

Pretty sure my opinion has zero impact on the Head Coaching decision for the NY Jets.

So I dont know who I'm propping him up for.  Certainly not you Dbags. 

I'm just speaking the truth.

So his GM traded the best corner in the league, and the guy they put their faith in to take the reigns declines at unbelievable rate and the GM's first ever pick is a CB who sucks badly, and the same GM let his best safety walk and its Rex's fault the pass defense declined?

Gotcha.

Antonio Cromartie played like a top 10 CB for 3 consecutive years, much of that with Revis either playing very unlike 2009 Revis OR without him entirely.  Unless there is an injury we're not aware of, there is no explanation for his complete dropoff in play. 

The best thing Rex provided for us was Pass Defense.  Despite having a really strong young D-Line, the Pass D dropped dramatically.  Makes no sense.

The Ravens defense has changed a lot of players. They still seem to be doing OK.

Cool. 7 new starters?  2 rookies?  A complete revamp of their secondary?

Pretty sure the last time I checked they still have 2 HOF'ers playing for them too.

Yeah, fans are lazy and ignorant, pointing to the GM is easy.

Man I need to get a job like Rex has. Have some lucky success early on, and then nothing else ever is my fault forever. Blame everyone but Rex. That is the "un-lazy", "smart" thing to do.

LOL

I'm not his boss cutie pie. 

Antonio Cromartie played like a top 10 CB for 3 consecutive years, much of that with Revis either playing very unlike 2009 Revis OR without him entirely.  Unless there is an injury we're not aware of, there is no explanation for his complete dropoff in play. 

The best thing Rex provided for us was Pass Defense.  Despite having a really strong young D-Line, the Pass D dropped dramatically.  Makes no sense.

Must be Rex.  You know, the same coach that coached him to a top 3 season for a corner last year.

lmfao

One of those rookies is a DROY candidate.  And the only real loss in the secondary was Landry, since we didn't have Revis for much of 2012 anyways.  Cro was back and we drafted the best CB on the board. 

We shouldn't need talent everywhere for the Pass D to be strong.  I'm fine with Rex focusing on D, but if he's going to do that, we needed the D to play better this year than it did.

Pretty sure the last time I checked they still have 2 HOF'ers playing for them too.

I'm not his boss cutie pie. 

Do you know why Dec 30th, 2013 is Rex's worse nightmare?

Do a study of all coaches FIRED by the NY JETS and see the "success" they have had going forward in the NFL?

Other than Carroll, if you get fired by the JETS, you end up in a graveyard nest to such stalwarts as:

Kotite

Coslet

Micheals

Walton

Winner

Holtz

Edwards

Mangini

It aint pretty being fired by the NY JETS.

Teams want to pass against the Jets because they know they'll struggle to run. We have 8 interceptions through 14 games. I don't know how that's possible.

Is that a worse stat than having ZERO, nada, Zilch receivers with 400 yards through 14 freaking games? I find that stat almost mind boggling.

There can be plenty of excuses made for Rex.  But he oversees the product on the field.  Regardless of personnel, we've been uncompetitive in too many games for me to say there's ZERO other coaches out there that would do better.  We've had some nice successes at times, but -121 net points puts us only ahead of Jacksonville (-178), Washington (-129) and Houston (-122).  Not good company to be in.

part of it is age, part of it is his chronic hip injury, which he apparently has had forever. Cro was always a player built on speed and agility. Once those gifts left him, he's not a good player anymore. A guy like Revis who is built on instincts and reactions, can play for another 10 years. If not at CB at S. Cro can't hardly tackle under the best of circumstances, he can't play safety. 

on a more general note I was talking with several co-workers today. one was a Chargers fan from SD who had no expectations. another was an Eagles fan from Philly who expected his team to lose somehow. the NY mindset was represented by me. And it really is a mindset. we expect SB winners every year. We expect to win. I don't know which mindset is correct but the NY mindset is probably the least realistic and the least rational (especially in a parity salary cap type situation).

This is another reason why no great coach would want to go to coach in this town. the expectations are a nightmare. 

on a more general note I was talking with several co-workers today. one was a Chargers fan from SD who had no expectations. another was an Eagles fan from Philly who expected his team to lose somehow. the NY mindset was represented by me. And it really is a mindset. we expect SB winners every year. We expect to win. I don't know which mindset is correct but the NY mindset is probably the least realistic and the least rational (especially in a parity salary cap type situation).

This is another reason why no great coach would want to go to coach in this town. the expectations are a nightmare. 

5 years is greater than the average tenure league wide.

Chargers fans in San Diego have a lot better things to do than care about football.  And of course Eagles fans expect to lose.  They're a loser franchise like us.

Just because there are high expectations doesn't give a coach a pass.  The Giants have done just fine with those expectations in NYC.  They win a Super Bowl every decade on lock.  We don't win because our owner sucks.  Pretty simple.

No great coach? Parcells, a HOF coached the Giants for about 17 years, and the Jets for 3 years? Apparently he also has the Stones that no other "great coaches" have. Right?

Archived