Jags Open to Trading 3rd Overall Pick

jgb

Since NO ONE is a guaranteed star, I'm almost never for trading up and almost always for trading down. Trade down and acquire more draft picks, don't trade up.

The more draft picks you have, the higher the chance of landing impact players.

You're forgetting the odds are higher of getting a star the higher the pick.

Not advocating to trade up but just saying

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, just to be clear, the Texans are willing to deal the #1, the Rams are willing to trade out of the #2 spot, and the Jaguars will trade the #3 overall?

and for some reason fans still take anything teams say at face value. The whole things a poker match. Who wouldn't be willing to listen, duh.

*speaking general terms not at u.

We traded up for Revis and that worked out.  And at the same time, we once also traded up for Dewayne Robertson.  And then again for Mark Sanchez.  So it's just as hit or miss as staying put or trading down. 

The Parcells/Belichick approach of always trading down isn't necessarily the right call in ALL situations.  Those 2 just realized that their weakness was talent evaluation (of 21-22 year olds, at least), so they gave themselves as many darts as possible to throw at the dartboard and hoped they were correct on enough picks to build a good roster. 

No it's not, because when you are wrong trading up, it has cost you multiple picks

Sounds like a buyer's market for teams looking to move up.  Could get interesting.  There's never been a draft quite like this with so much potential volatility at the top.  Especially since it's not like the old days where teams were unwilling to move up due to the amount of money you had to spend on a top 5 pick.  That's isn't much of a factor anymore.

On top of that, the depth this year is so great that these top-teams realize they can get a quality player in the 2nd and 3rd round with their compensation, in addition to (probably) next year's 1st round pick, in a draft which should yield more high caliber QB options. 

http://www.gbnreport.com/picksbyteam.html

I'll try to post this page, but I doubt the numbers will line up...they never do. 

It's a spreadsheet of picks by the team, which gives you a good idea of who has multiple picks in the middle rounds, and may consider moving up (or down)

[spoiler alert: only 1 team has two picks in the second round (SF), and three teams have two picks, each, in the third round (CLE, MIN, SF)]

2014 DRAFT PICKS BY TEAM TEAM 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Total # 
picks ARIZONA  20 52 84 x x x   6 ATLANTA   6 37 68 x x x x 7 BALTIMORE 16/17 47/48 78/79     x   4 BUFFALO 9 41 73 x x x x 7 CAROLINA 28 60 92 x x x x 7 CHICAGO 14 51 82 x x x, x   7 CINCINNATI  24 55 88 x x x x 7 CLEVELAND  4, 26 35 71, 83 x, x x x x 10 DALLAS  16/17 47/48 78/79 x x   x, x, x 8 DENVER  31 63 95 x x x x 7 DETROIT  10 45 76 x   x x 6 GREEN BAY  21 53 85 x x x x 7 HOUSTON   1 33 65 x x x x 7 INDIANAPOLIS     59 90   x x x, x 6 JACKSONVILLE  3 39 70 x, x x, x, x x   9 KANSAS CITY  23   87 x x x, x   6 MIAMI    19 50 81 x x x x 7 MINNESOTA  8 40 72, 96 x x x x 8 NEW ENGLAND 29 62 93 x   x, x x 7 NEW ORLEANS 27 58 91 x x x   6 NY GIANTS 12 43 74 x x x   6 NY JETS  18 49 80 x, x* x x x 8 OAKLAND  5 36 67 x   x x, x 7 PHILADELPHIA 22 54 86 x x, x   x 7 PITTSBURGH 15 46   x x x x 6 ST. LOUIS 2, 13 44 75 x x x x 8 SAN DIEGO 25 57 89 x x x x 7 SAN FRANCISCO 30 56, 61 77, 94 x x x x, x, x, x 12 SEATTLE 31 63   x x, x x x 7 TAMPA BAY 7 38 *69   x   x 5 TENNESSEE 11 42   x x x x 6 WASHINGTON    34 66 x x x x 6

On edit: Shocker.  Clicking the link above is a better way to observe this info.  

to serve what purpose?  the list I posted is nothing but warm doggie doo -

we may or may not get to the playoffs next year but the Jets are in no way, shape or form a championship contender next season.   So why bring in a sad sack vet?  If Geno ain't the answer, go to the draft and bring in another qb -  groom that one and the next one or next, etc, etc until one of them clicks.

By all means, keep drafting QB's, but throwing an ill equipped rookie in as your starter isn't going to work either.  Especially one who has not earned the job other than by default -- how's that worked out the past 5 years?  With a solid defense, draft picks and plenty of cap space, this team does not need a whole lot of improvement at QB to at least contend for a playoff spot.  Put someone in who, while unspectacular, at least does not set the team back like our last two starting QB's.

No it's not, because when you are wrong trading up, it has cost you multiple picks

True, but trading down ALL the time doesn't give you a chance to get special talents.  If you don't have a franchise QB, it's hard to justify moving down all the time.  I don't think there's one right way to do the draft.  A mix of trading up for guys (if you can) when you like someone on the board and moving down when you don't (if you can) are both smart decisions. 

True, but trading down ALL the time doesn't give you a chance to get special talents.  If you don't have a franchise QB, it's hard to justify moving down all the time.  I don't think there's one right way to do the draft.  A mix of trading up for guys (if you can) when you like someone on the board and moving down when you don't (if you can) are both smart decisions. 

I think trading up is a strategy that a solid team employs, trading down (in not great drafts) is a strategy that crappy teams employ, and the majority of teams should just sit tight. Personal opinion.

1. None of this year's QBs are locks to be drafted top-10. Manziel is about to be put through a meat grinder in interviews and in his pro days, Bridgewater is supposedly going to interview like a meek librarian, and Bortles is the kind of guy that Draft Twitter jerks off over, only to find out that actual GMs think he's a fourth rounder (Ryan Nassib). Moving up to 3 could be a waste of resources.

1. None of this year's QBs are locks to be drafted top-10. Manziel is about to be put through a meat grinder in interviews and in his pro days, Bridgewater is supposedly going to interview like a meek librarian, and Bortles is the kind of guy that Draft Twitter jerks off over, only to find out that actual GMs think he's a fourth rounder (Ryan Nassib). Moving up to 3 could be a waste of resources.

How you think Clowney interviews?

I'll agree that you only trade up for a QB but like you're saying that would be if one drops to like 10 or 11. The alJets aren't leapfrogging from 18 to top 5.

I still think it comes down to scouting and player development. You can have more draft picks, but if you cannot scout and you cannot develop, you will probably have no talent either way. This is why scouting is so critical, certain players are worth trading up for, and some are not, you have to be able to identify them. Nobody is always right, but you need to be right enough.

Maybe I'm just naive, but I believe that A LOT of potentially great players get drafted very low or not at all. Almost any player can succeed if put in the right situation at the right time. I'd rather trade down, have more chances to get a pick right, and have less of a financial investment.

Maybe I'm just naive, but I believe that A LOT of potentially great players get drafted very low or not at all. Almost any player can succeed if put in the right situation at the right time. I'd rather trade down, have more chances to get a pick right, and have less of a financial investment.

First round draft picks aren't really financial burdens anymore. 

the counter to this is that you have franchises in desperate need for QBs in Houston, Jax, Cleveland, Oakland, and Minnesota.  

I could be mistaken, but I remember reading an article at some point that broke down NFL starters by round, and there was a pretty clear correlation that the higher you are drafted the better your chances of being a better player. There is a reason why teams value draft picks the way they do.

Garrard wasn't a veteran QB -- he was already a veteran invalid.

Kind of like Vick at this point.  And guys like Cassel or Flynn or whomever else is out there might not be veteran invalids who should just retire, but they really aren't guys who you can say are better than Geno or Sanchez.  And Geno and Sanchez stink.       People just love to sign anybody elses scrubs because maybe they didn't see those guys play or they hope some magic will happen.   

Geno is already on the roster.  Who knows what they are doing with Sanchez.  If the guy restructures his contract and is far cheaper, is there any benefit in cutting him and signing Vick or Cassel or guys like that?  I don't think so.  Vick had some moments as an Eagle, but he was also a guy who turned the ball over all the time. It was a running joke in Philly.    Plus he never stays healthy.   Maybe it won't be Garrard and the retirement joke, but it'll be one of those, hey Vick makes 4 million a year and only played in 5 games.

By all means, keep drafting QB's, but throwing an ill equipped rookie in as your starter isn't going to work either.  Especially one who has not earned the job other than by default -- how's that worked out the past 5 years?  With a solid defense, draft picks and plenty of cap space, this team does not need a whole lot of improvement at QB to at least contend for a playoff spot.  Put someone in who, while unspectacular, at least does not set the team back like our last two starting QB's.

pick a qb, any qb that's available...what good is it going to do...we have to get a qb for this team and none is available through FA....it's Geno and whoever we draft...

I'll agree that you only trade up for a QB but like you're saying that would be if one drops to like 10 or 11. The alJets aren't leapfrogging from 18 to top 5.

IMO, if you trade to the Rams #13 pick, you could probably nab one of the forecast Top Three QBs. I think there's a good chance that Derek Carr will get picked by the Jags when the time comes. Gus Bradley supposedly fell deeply in love with his arm and demeanor at the Senior Bowl.

Exactly.  The last few years, we've gone into the season without a competent backup.

This is the one thing we need to fix this year without question.  A backup that is healthy enough to actually step in to play if needed.  This geriatric mentor backup QB strategy is teh suck. 

the counter to this is that you have franchises in desperate need for QBs in Houston, Jax, Cleveland, Oakland, and Minnesota.

Houston, IMO, takes Clowney at one and choose between Mettenberger and/or McCarron later on.

Cleveland just hired Kyle Shanahan at OC, and his first statement was how much he loved Manziel.

Oakland, if they're smart (hahaha) waits a year and chooses between Jameis Winston and Mariota.

who is the guaranteed franchise qb we are getting?

The ONLY 2 that I would trade up for would be Manziel or Bridgewater. Both of these guys to me have Franchise QB stuff written all over them.

I would not move to get Bortles, Carr, Mettenberger, McCarron, Garrapolo etc. If the Jets don't make a move for the top 2, then simply draft whichever they have the highest number on the 3rd or 4th round, and pray for a Montana/Brady/Wilson miracle.

not saying your opinion is invalid but i'm really sick of hearing the "we can't judge the qb until he has talent around him" thing. not trying to shoot the messanger but after 5 years i've lost my patience.

How about a modification to "you shouldn't close the book on a QB who came from the spread offense, never took a snap under center, has only played one season, and had no talent around him, and who's play was significantly better when his only reliable target wasn't out with a concussion?" I think that's all the people who think Geno should start are really saying. That, and "don't sell the farm for another QB with a ton of ????s who will also then have no weapons."

who is the guaranteed franchise qb we are getting?

Exactly. If Geno doesn't improve, hopefully at least we've improved the team around him and we suck for 1 more year. As we're seeing with the Redskins, if we make the big trade up, if Manziel isn't a superstar, we likely suck for the next 4 years.

Exactly. If Geno doesn't improve, hopefully at least we've improved the team around him and we suck for 1 more year. As we're seeing with the Redskins, if we make the big trade up, if Manziel isn't a superstar, we likely suck for the next 4 years.

Uh, Redskins made the playoffs in RGIII's first year, and then his injuries caught up with him the 2nd year. To imply that the Redskins will now suck "the next 4 years", because of a Franchise QB who already has proven himself, that when healthy is a great QB is quite perplexing. His ROOKIE QBR was like 105, unheard of numbers for a rookie, especially in Florham park.

We should be so "unfortunate" to ever have a QB with the talent of RGIII.

Archived