Non-bottom tier FAs the Jets should look at despite them costing money.

SenorGato

Rodger Saffold - A top pass protector at his best, he kicked inside to G and was very good for the Rams there. As late as late November PFF had him as their best run blocker in his first season at G. He'll be 26 next season.

Vontae Davis - Up and down corner with the physical tools and plenty of experience in man coverage. Another 26 year old FA. 

Dexter McCluter - 25 year old WR/RB/returner who's shown playmaking ability for the Chiefs. Had a big season as a punt returner in 2013. Punt returner is a position of need for the Jets, but I assume you usually want a guy on a rookie deal doing the job? 

Jacoby Ford - An older (at 27 in 2014) version of McCluster that has caught less passes and been more injured.

Jerome Simpson* - Only to have a man who is clearly a descendant of Nefertiti and Akhenaten, therefore an alien, on the roster. 

http://dynastyfootballwarehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Jerome-Simpson-2-e1348771281282.jpg

*Actually a bottom tier FA

Brandon LaFell - Not much after the catch, but seems like a good intermediate possession WR and a better (see: more expensive) version of David Nelson. If he likes Smarties he just might la fall into Idzik's price range. 

Danario Alexander - Probably the best WR listed so far, breaking out a little in his 5th year. His flaw of choice is that he's got at least a glass knee.

Maclin/Nicks - Either one is fine by me. 

Graham - Duh

Hardy - Duh

Orakpo - Duh

Byrd - Duh

Louis Delmas - One of those rare safeties who can actually play the pass, but he is also made of some type of glass.

Jon Asamoah - Right age at 25/26 and got high praise from PFF going into 2013. Apparently lost his starter's job this past season.

Jason Worilds - I buy that last year was a breakout for the former VT star, but prefer Orakpo or Hardy.

Brandon Pettigrew - IMO one of the highest upside offensive players available in FA, but upside is an easy thing to overvalue in FA. Has all the measurables to be a very good TE but has been mostly mediocre so far. 

Walter Thurmond - A name that seems to be catching on now that his team won the SB, but might actually be good. Another 26 year old.

Any more? 

i would take jimmy graham if he came cheaply. just kidding, i love this thread. so easy to say "I like X if we can get him for a bag of fish sticks." impact players usually cost money unless you take a flier on a guy with a serious injury/personality issues and get lucky. those are rarities.

I think the first 3 names are really good and probably represent positions that will be addressed in the first 3 rounds of the upcoming draft.  Getting one of those three would lessen the need to potentially reach in the draft.

I think Saffold is a nice little sleeper FA for LG. The versatility to play everything but C probably helps as well, and he's very young for an OLman.

Any thoughts? Is he likely to resign with St. Louis? 

Rodger Saffold - A top pass protector at his best, he kicked inside to G and was very good for the Rams there. As late as late November PFF had him as their best run blocker in his first season at G. He'll be 26 next season.

Vontae Davis - Up and down corner with the physical tools and plenty of experience in man coverage. Another 26 year old FA. 

Dexter McCluter - 25 year old WR/RB/returner who's shown playmaking ability for the Chiefs. Had a big season as a punt returner in 2013. Punt returner is a position of need for the Jets, but I assume you usually want a guy on a rookie deal doing the job? 

Jacoby Ford - An older (at 27 in 2014) version of McCluster that has caught less passes and been more injured.

Jerome Simpson* - Only to have a man who is clearly a descendant of Nefertiti and Akhenaten, therefore an alien, on the roster. 

http://dynastyfootballwarehouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Jerome-Simpson-2-e1348771281282.jpg

*Actually a bottom tier FA

Brandon LaFell - Not much after the catch, but seems like a good intermediate possession WR and a better (see: more expensive) version of David Nelson. If he likes Smarties he just might la fall into Idzik's price range. 

Danario Alexander - Probably the best WR listed so far, breaking out a little in his 5th year. His flaw of choice is that he's got at least a glass knee.

Maclin/Nicks - Either one is fine by me. 

Graham - Duh

Hardy - Duh

Orakpo - Duh

Byrd - Duh

Louis Delmas - One of those rare safeties who can actually play the pass, but he is also made of some type of glass.

Jon Asamoah - Right age at 25/26 and got high praise from PFF going into 2013. Apparently lost his starter's job this past season.

Jason Worilds - I buy that last year was a breakout for the former VT star, but prefer Orakpo or Hardy.

Brandon Pettigrew - IMO one of the highest upside offensive players available in FA, but upside is an easy thing to overvalue in FA. Has all the measurables to be a very good TE but has been mostly mediocre so far. 

Walter Thurmond - A name that seems to be catching on now that his team won the SB, but might actually be good. Another 26 year old.

Any more? 

Good list.

That said, HOW DARE YOU suggest Woody Johnson spend his bazillions of dollars on a football team... true fans hate Woody for not putting a good product on the field, but are obsessively conservative where it concerns him paying for players that would helps us win. Obviously you = not a true fan and stuff.

I know everybody is deciding between Decker, Maclin and Golden Tate, with Nicks as a consolation prize, I would be happy with Danario Alexander and Simpson going into the draft.  Spend more money elsewhere - Oline, secondary and go into the draft without gaping holes (but still soft @ WR).  I also like Vontae Davis, but I'm not sure they will want to spend for him.  

No Suggs, Rex reunion.

Pro Bowl linebacker Terrell Suggs reached an agreement on a multiyear contract extension Sunday night that will lower his salary cap number and potentially allow him to retire as a Baltimore Raven, a team source confirmed.

Suggs, 31, was entering the final year of his six-year, $62.5 million contract and carried a $12.4 million salary-cap number in 2014, the third-highest on the Ravens. He was due to make $7.8 million in salary this year.

There was a chance that the Ravens would have cut Suggs if the sides couldn't reach an extension. A week after the season ended, general manager Ozzie Newsome was noncommittal on Suggs' return.

[+] EnlargeTerrell Suggs
Patrick Smith/Getty ImagesTerrell Suggs reached an agreement on a multiyear contract extension Sunday that will lower his salary cap number and potentially allow him to retire as a Raven, a team source confirmed.

The Ravens announced a news conference with Suggs and Newsome for 12 p.m. ET Monday.

A first-round pick in 2003, Suggs is the Ravens' franchise leader in sacks and has been named to the Pro Bowl six times. He was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2011.

But Suggs hasn't been the same the past two seasons because of injuries and inconsistent play. He missed half of the 2012 season after tearing his Achilles tendon in the offseason and struggled in the second half of 2013, recording 20 tackles and one sack in the final eight games.

I know everybody is deciding between Decker, Maclin and Golden Tate, with Nicks as a consolation prize, I would be happy with Danario Alexander and Simpson going into the draft.  Spend more money elsewhere - Oline, secondary and go into the draft without gaping holes (but still soft @ WR).  I also like Vontae Davis, but I'm not sure they will want to spend for him.  

Free agent Danario Alexander underwent a second surgery on his torn right ACL in January.
Alexander tore the ACL on August 6 and had surgery on August 15. Per the Union-Tribune San Diego, Alexander's latest procedure was a "revision ACL surgery" performed as a "followup," and may make him "unavailable" for the start of 2014 training camp. Sources say "DX" still hopes to play next season, though he's considered "unlikely" to be re-signed by the Chargers. Alexander has now undergone two right knee surgeries and a whopping five operations on his left knee stemming from recurring college injuries. His career is in obvious doubt. Feb 7 - 1:06 AM

Free agent Danario Alexander underwent a second surgery on his torn right ACL in January.
Alexander tore the ACL on August 6 and had surgery on August 15. Per the Union-Tribune San Diego, Alexander's latest procedure was a "revision ACL surgery" performed as a "followup," and may make him "unavailable" for the start of 2014 training camp. Sources say "DX" still hopes to play next season, though he's considered "unlikely" to be re-signed by the Chargers. Alexander has now undergone two right knee surgeries and a whopping five operations on his left knee stemming from recurring college injuries. His career is in obvious doubt. Feb 7 - 1:06 AM

I have a feeling they will have him in.  They seemed to do that with several guys this year - Austin Collie and Cribbs are two I remember.  Keep tabs on them while they heal up and be ready to pounce if the need is there.  If the guy isn't ready for camp they will have to look elsewhere, but just one semi-legit FA is probably enough.  Two would be preferable.  Simpson has been a 40/700 guy with some crappy QBs in Minny and a rookie Andy Dalton.

Good list.

That said, HOW DARE YOU suggest Woody Johnson spend his bazillions of dollars on a football team... true fans hate Woody for not putting a good product on the field, but are obsessively conservative where it concerns him paying for players that would helps us win. Obviously you = not a true fan and stuff.

What are you talking about? The smart thing is signing mediocre football players for mediocre money. Just get lots of them. They will, 100 percent of the time, be greater than the sum of their parts. Because of smartness and all.

What are you talking about? The smart thing is signing mediocre football players for mediocre money. Just get lots of them. They will, 100 percent of the time, be greater than the sum of their parts. Because of smartness and all.

Intangibles PLUS Rex, coaching, and chips on shoulders.

I have a feeling they will have him in.  They seemed to do that with several guys this year - Austin Collie and Cribbs are two I remember.  Keep tabs on them while they heal up and be ready to pounce if the need is there.  If the guy isn't ready for camp they will have to look elsewhere, but just one semi-legit FA is probably enough.  Two would be preferable.  Simpson has been a 40/700 guy with some crappy QBs in Minny and a rookie Andy Dalton.

He'll feel right at home here.

Archived