Manziel to the Cowboys?

Klecko73isGod

A co-worker of mine said he just heard a rumor on the radio at lunch that the Cowboys were internally discussing the possibility of trading Romo plus a pick or two to Houston for the number one overall pick so they could take Johnny Manziel.

Has anyone else heard this?

Is there any way we can make sure this happens? The internet would have a massive orgasm.

A co-worker of mine said he just heard a rumor on the radio at lunch that the Cowboys were internally discussing the possibility of trading Romo plus a pick or two to Houston for the number one overall pick so they could take Johnny Manziel.

Is there any way we can make sure this happens? The internet would have a massive orgasm.

You made milk come out of my nose!! Which is weird, since I'm drinking water ...

They'll screw up by taking him.

the Texans are a 2-14 team with playoff caliber players at every position but QB

i don't really care which QB they take. BUt if they don't get a QB they aren't getting any better. Clowney doesn't measurably improve that team. Any of the top QBs would. 

the Texans are a 2-14 team with playoff caliber players at every position but QB

i don't really care which QB they take. BUt if they don't get a QB they aren't getting any better. Clowney doesn't measurably improve that team. Any of the top QBs would. 

Drafting a 2nd or lower round talent with a top 10 pick doesn't make you a contender, it sets your franchise back another handful of years. Spin it any way you like, but drafting any player, especially a QB, much higher than his value dictates, out of necessity is a recipe for failure.  I've seen Bortles maybe once or twice outside of the Bowl game, so it's possible he's the guy, but I've been on record saying that I wouldn't be thrilled drafting any of these guys in the first round, let alone the top 5.

Although I think CLOWNEY is the best prospect in this draft, I agree with you 100%. They clearly have to take a QB. It is very similar to our team actually, where they have a lot of good parts, but if you don't have a legitimate QB, you really aren't a very good team.

If I am a betting man (which obviously I am) here are my %'s on which player they take:

70% Johnny Manziel

15% Teddy Bridgewater

10% J. Clowney

5% B. Bortles

Drafting a 2nd or lower round talent with a top 10 pick doesn't make you a contender, it sets your franchise back another handful of years. Spin it any way you like, but drafting any player, especially a QB, much higher than his value dictates, out of necessity is a recipe for failure.  I've seen Bortles maybe once or twice outside of the Bowl game, so it's possible he's the guy, but I've been on record saying that I wouldn't be thrilled drafting any of these guys in the first round, let alone the top 5.

ok but drafting a bum at DE at 1 overall could also set your franchise back too. 

let's keep in mind that Clowney mailed it in for a whole year. A WHOLE YEAR. this guy isn't Lawrence Taylor part II. 

It's like that scene in Rudy when the coach says "If you had half the heart of Ruttiger, you'd be an all-american. As it is, you just went from the 3rd team to the scout team"

clowney has no heart. 

ok but drafting a bum at DE at 1 overall could also set your franchise back too. 

let's keep in mind that Clowney mailed it in for a whole year. A WHOLE YEAR. this guy isn't Lawrence Taylor part II. 

It's like that scene in Rudy when the coach says "If you had half the heart of Ruttiger, you'd be an all-american. As it is, you just went from the 3rd team to the scout team"

clowney has no heart. 

Whatever man, it's obvious we disagree on not only the QBs, but also Clowney, and that's fine.  I'm just surprised that for someone who has followed the draft for so long you don't remember all the dominant DE/DT prospects getting the lazy label when they were put under the microscope.  You say that Williams wasn't worth the #1 overall pick, which I disagree with, but his knocks of being lazy and no motor turned out to be unfounded, just like I believe Clowney's will. Take away that risk, do you then not feel he's worth it?  

Ultimately, I feel Bortles will be the pick, so this is fairly moot, but I still believe they should just go straight chalk and pick the best player on the board and that is Clowney.

You say that Williams wasn't worth the #1 overall pick, which I disagree with, but his knocks of being lazy and no motor turned out to be unfounded, just like I believe Clowney's will. Take away that risk, do you then not feel he's worth it? 

i have spoken to sources who say his work ethic at SC was abysmal. Specific examples of him just missing practice for no apparent reason. And that's not what I heard about Mario, who did put up 35 reps. The amount of reps is how much time the guy spends working out.

My point is not to bash Clowney just saying that any of these guys could bust. In the end I think Clowney is a bigger johnny Abe. He'll get you sacks, in bunches, when you don't need em. Like when your team is up by 30 points. But in the playoffs he's a ghost. It took Abe 10+ years before his motor ran all the time. 

as for the Texans, as I said previous, they are 2-14 team with great players across the board, taking another DE doesn't do much for that team. It's not a lack of pass rush why they lost 14 games last year. 

i have spoken to sources who say his work ethic at SC was abysmal. Specific examples of him just missing practice for no apparent reason. And that's not what I heard about Mario, who did put up 35 reps. The amount of reps is how much time the guy spends working out.

My point is not to bash Clowney just saying that any of these guys could bust. In the end I think Clowney is a bigger johnny Abe. He'll get you sacks, in bunches, when you don't need em. Like when your team is up by 30 points. But in the playoffs he's a ghost. It took Abe 10+ years before his motor ran all the time. 

as for the Texans, as I said previous, they are 2-14 team with great players across the board, taking another DE doesn't do much for that team. It's not a lack of pass rush why they lost 14 games last year. 

Ehh, I don't buy that not benching enough reps equals not putting in work in the weight room. Back when I was in undergrad and granted it was just for track, I would see the football guys in the facility all the time. Some of these guys were the most powerful and strong athletes that I've ever seen and they could not only toss weight around, but people as well. However, they didn't train specifically for bench-press stamina, instead they relied on more explosive power and positional-related drills.  Sure, he probably could have put more work in, but I'm not dropping the best overall player in the draft because his flat-bench stamina is low. That's absurd.  

I don't doubt that you heard he was lazy and missed meetings, it definitely could have happened.  It seems as though he saw his friend blow out his knee and end his career on one play the previous year, got some bad advice from his agents about protecting himself and just played it carefully throughout the year. I don't think it's right or at all what you want to see, but he's a 20 year old kid, getting advice from the agent he trusts, I'm not dropping him because of that.  I think his motor is fine and his talent is other-worldly, to me, he's the best player in the draft without a doubt.

A friend of mine told me a few years ago that the Jets were going to win the Super Bowl we all know how that went.

This is a rumor and pure speculation from an unknown source I don't buy any of it.

I don't doubt that you heard he was lazy and missed meetings, it definitely could have happened.  It seems as though he saw his friend blow out his knee and end his career on one play the previous year, got some bad advice from his agents about protecting himself and just played it carefully throughout the year. I don't think it's right or at all what you want to see, but he's a 20 year old kid, getting advice from the agent he trusts, I'm not dropping him because of that.  I think his motor is fine and his talent is other-worldly, to me, he's the best player in the draft without a doubt.

he could be the best player in the draft. Certainly has that type of ability. 

let me give you some Non clowney football reasons for HOU to pass on the DE

1) edge rush is overrated. It's all about inside rush these days. The ball is gone in 2 seconds. Jets fans forget that, having watched 5+ years of QB's holding onto the ball like they are burping a baby. But edge rush in today's NFL aint worth what it used to be. 

2) People say JJ watt would teach this guy to be an animal I think it could go another way with Watt just disgusted with his effort. The first time he doesn't go 100% he's gonna be killed cause he's the number one pick. JJ Watt could hate playing with Clowney. 

3) pass rush isn't the problem with this team. 

now here's some Clowney related bashes :) just for good measure

1) That gif of Clowney smoking the UM RB. It was only a handful of plays he wasn't going against Taylor Lewan. Lewan shut him down all game. That was his 12 sack year not his 3 sack year. There will be alot of guys like Taylor Lewan in the league. 

2) it wasn't missing meetings it's missing practice. The whole team is on the field and Clowney just being like yeeah... no. It's a fall practice in college you should want to be there. 

3) The problem with turning it off is it's hard to turn it back on. Especially as a defender, where success is pretty much who can go the most berserk. 

4) if Clowney was as awesome as his 40 time than Houston would have no problem trading down. They could have their cake and eat it too. There's no Clowney trade market. And it's because of his effort. 

A friend of mine told me a few years ago that the Jets were going to win the Super Bowl we all know how that went.

This is a rumor and pure speculation from an unknown source I don't buy any of it.

I don't know. If it didn't involve Jerry Jones, then I might think it fantasy land, but with Jerry, anything is possible.

Look, I love ROMO, dude is fearless, can make all the throws, is a competitor, but for some reason on that team, he always finds ways to get beat, year in and year out, and maybe JJ is just tired of seeing that. Especially on some of those Dallas teams that were absolutely loaded. SO, Jerry sees this dynamic superstar from the HOME state, and see's a marketing COUP, for his team, and decides he will take a shot. Houston gets Romo and some picks, and Jerry gets this kid that will electrify Jerryworld and that new stadium. May not be as far fetched as you think.

I don't think it's a rumor, I think a columnist in Dallas suggested it.

It'd be f*cking stupid anyway. Romo, for all his faults, is a mature pocket passer who stands up pretty well to injuries. Manziel is an immature, tiny QB who is going to get clobbered and injured a la RG III if he doesn't learn to stay in the pocket and hit the open receiver.

I'd keep Romo. I really don't think Manziel is going to be here in 5 years.

I don't think it's a rumor, I think a columnist in Dallas suggested it.

It'd be f*cking stupid anyway. Romo, for all his faults, is a mature pocket passer who stands up pretty well to injuries. Manziel is an immature, tiny QB who is going to get clobbered and injured a la RG III if he doesn't learn to stay in the pocket and hit the open receiver.

I'd keep Romo. I really don't think Manziel is going to be here in 5 years.

I agree completely about Romo, BUT what has he won? Basically NOTHING, on teams that year in and year out we hear are loaded with talent?

Would I be shocked if it happened? Maybe, But when Jay Cutler was sent packing, then you start to think that anyone can go.

I agree completely about Romo, BUT what has he won? Basically NOTHING, on teams that year in and year out we hear are loaded with talent?

Would I be shocked if it happened? Maybe, But when Jay Cutler was sent packing, then you start to think that anyone can go.

I'm sorry, does the Chick-fil-A Bowl mean Manziel is a proven winner? Either way, it'd still be stupid. The biggest problem with the Dallas Cowboys isn't Tony Romo. He probably doesn't crack the "Top 5 Biggest Problems with the Dallas Cowboys" list.

And like I said, this isn't a "rumor." It was suggested as an idea by a Dallas columnist. as of now, Cowboys aren't looking to trade Romo.

I'm sorry, does the Chick-fil-A Bowl mean Manziel is a proven winner? Either way, it'd still be stupid. The biggest problem with the Dallas Cowboys isn't Tony Romo. He probably doesn't crack the "Top 5 Biggest Problems with the Dallas Cowboys" list.

And like I said, this isn't a "rumor." It was suggested as an idea by a Dallas columnist. as of now, Cowboys aren't looking to trade Romo.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I can come up with reasons why it actually could be a minute possibility. One of the "knocks" against Manziel was that he would scramble around and then heave it up to a big dude named Mike Evans, who some people said, "made" Manziel with his great catches. As good as Evans is, he is no where near a DEZ BRYANT who is a freakish athlete and a far better receiver than Evans ever hopes to be, Imagine how open that dude would be with Manziel gaining extra seconds with his elusiveness. Also, really, Romo, also loved to scramble and buy time, so the same type of QB replaces him, making it an almost seamless replacement.

Also, Dallas is CAP STRAPPED, so how about swapping Romo's huge contract for a Rookie capped salary. It would free up tons of cap space the Cowboys desperately need.

No, this could get legs.

Ok crazy rumor squashed

Todd Archer | ESPN.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys will be less than $1 million over the salary cap after restructuring the contract of quarterback Tony Romo on Tuesday.

According to a source, the Cowboys will rework Romo's contract to create $10 million in salary cap space. The Cowboys will convert $12.5 million of Romo's $13.5 million base salary into a signing bonus, dropping his salary-cap figure from $21.773 million to $11.773 million.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Evan Vucci.

Romo signed a six-year contract extension last year worth $108 million that included $55 million in guaranteed money. The Cowboys designed the contract to be restructured in the second year of the deal to create the room.

Romo is rehabbing from back surgery performed last December, but the Cowboys anticipate he will be able to take part in the full offseason program that begins April 21.

In addition, the Cowboys will finalize the restructured contracts of linebackerSean Lee and Orlando Scandrick on Tuesday, which created $6.8 million in room, according to sources. The Cowboys signed Scandrick to a two-year extension late last season that guaranteed him $9 million. Lee signed a six-year extension worth as much as $51 million last summer.

The three restructured deals create $16.8 million of room, leaving the Cowboys less than $1 million from being under their $134.55 million cap. The Cowboys carried over $1.55 million in cap space from 2013.

The Cowboys do not plan to restructure the contracts of more players unless they need to find space to add players in free agency. At the NFL scouting combine, executive vice president Stephen Jones said the Cowboys will be "efficient" spenders in free agency.

The Cowboys have yet to decide the futures of DeMarcus Ware and Miles Austin.

Ware is set to count $16.003 million against the cap but the Cowboys would save $7.4 million by releasing him. It is possible they work out a new deal with Ware, which would also save money against the cap.

Austin is set to count $8.249 million against the cap, but the Cowboys can save $5.5 million by designating him a post-June 1 cut when the new league year starts next week.

The Cowboys attempted to get center Phil Costa to take a pay cut but he has refused. Despite reports, the Cowboys have not yet decided to release Costa, but that move would save them $1.5 million.

Ok crazy rumor squashed

Todd Archer | ESPN.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys will be less than $1 million over the salary cap after restructuring the contract of quarterback Tony Romo on Tuesday.

According to a source, the Cowboys will rework Romo's contract to create $10 million in salary cap space. The Cowboys will convert $12.5 million of Romo's $13.5 million base salary into a signing bonus, dropping his salary-cap figure from $21.773 million to $11.773 million.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Evan Vucci.

Romo signed a six-year contract extension last year worth $108 million that included $55 million in guaranteed money. The Cowboys designed the contract to be restructured in the second year of the deal to create the room.

Romo is rehabbing from back surgery performed last December, but the Cowboys anticipate he will be able to take part in the full offseason program that begins April 21.

In addition, the Cowboys will finalize the restructured contracts of linebackerSean Lee and Orlando Scandrick on Tuesday, which created $6.8 million in room, according to sources. The Cowboys signed Scandrick to a two-year extension late last season that guaranteed him $9 million. Lee signed a six-year extension worth as much as $51 million last summer.

The three restructured deals create $16.8 million of room, leaving the Cowboys less than $1 million from being under their $134.55 million cap. The Cowboys carried over $1.55 million in cap space from 2013.

The Cowboys do not plan to restructure the contracts of more players unless they need to find space to add players in free agency. At the NFL scouting combine, executive vice president Stephen Jones said the Cowboys will be "efficient" spenders in free agency.

The Cowboys have yet to decide the futures of DeMarcus Ware and Miles Austin.

Ware is set to count $16.003 million against the cap but the Cowboys would save $7.4 million by releasing him. It is possible they work out a new deal with Ware, which would also save money against the cap.

Austin is set to count $8.249 million against the cap, but the Cowboys can save $5.5 million by designating him a post-June 1 cut when the new league year starts next week.

The Cowboys attempted to get center Phil Costa to take a pay cut but he has refused. Despite reports, the Cowboys have not yet decided to release Costa, but that move would save them $1.5 million.

Good, I want our team to be the crazy ones that trade up to get Manziel. We are still in it.

Oh sure.  When a Dallas columnist suggest something it isn't even a rumor, but when the NY media suggests something it's pure fact, baby!

Reading the original OP here, I did think, and have for some time thought, that Dallas very well might rejiggle their Qb's this year, given the age of Romo and his recent history of injuries.  But I thought the plan would be to bring in a rookie Qb to be ready to take over from Romo at some point, which might make Orton expendable.  So I was surprised to see the notion floated that it in fact would be Romo who would be expendable.

Turns out they seem to be keeping him after all.

Well, it still makes sense for them to look ahead to their post-Romo days, so perhaps they still might try and get a rookie Qb on the roster.

Which could make Orton available.

Archived