Austin Howard.

BurnleyJet

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BS.  Howard isn't worth that kind of coin, no way no how.  He'd be a backup on half the teams in this league.  His run-blocking is less than mediocre.  He's a hold-the-fort guy with upside.  Like a guy named Hunter who was fair-to-middlin'.  If we offered that kind of cash...first real chink in the armour for Idzik.  

think this is bad? wait for them to hand the job to Oday Aboushi. 

So what would GM Bitonti offer the great Austin Howard? Do tell.  Say Austin Howard tells you that he wants $7M/year with close to $20M guaranteed.  You offer it or you pass up on it?

As it is I think we offered a little too much.  A little too much I could stomach, as it's one less position that needs to be filled, you know what you're getting, and really only 2 years are guaranteed.  But I wouldn't be doing cartwheels if we inked him for that deal.  I'd be just ok with it, as Howard is just ok as a right tackle.

if idziks plan was to resign howard, why didn't he approach howard towards the end of last year? why waite 2 weeks before free agency? if what we heard is true, it screams of idziks inexperience. I hope this does not turn out bad

Who says he didn't?

And the league is filled with teams still trying to re-sign their players right before free agency hits.  New England is still in negotiations with Edelman, who caught over 100 passes last season and was the only reliable and healthy pass catcher on the team. Perhaps they're a bunch of novices over in Bahston as well.

Players want to test the FA waters if they think the market will get them more money. This is not news. Frankly our final bid (if true) is a bit high for someone like Howard, even if someone else offers him even more.

Who says he didn't?

And the league is filled with teams still trying to re-sign their players right before free agency hits.  New England is still in negotiations with Edelman, who caught over 100 passes last season and was the only reliable and healthy pass catcher on the team. Perhaps they're a bunch of novices over in Bahston as well.

Players want to test the FA waters if they think the market will get them more money. This is not news. Frankly our final bid (if true) is a bit high for someone like Howard, even if someone else offers him even more.

The Patriots let guys walk all the time for various reasons.  I wouldn't say letting Welker go last year was that great of a move on their part.   But the pats kind of play cheap.   Maybe that's how Idzik will go forward.  If they win, who cares, but you'd have to get used to the Jets rarely making a splash in free agency.

The Patriots let guys walk all the time for various reasons.  I wouldn't say letting Welker go last year was that great of a move on their part.   But the pats kind of play cheap.   Maybe that's how Idzik will go forward.  If they win, who cares, but you'd have to get used to the Jets rarely making a splash in free agency.

All we allegedly know is the Jets made a top offer of $5.5M, which is a bit high for Howard, and he turned it down.  There is no evidence that the Jets ignored Howard until 2 weeks ago, and if this is the type of offer Howard found unacceptable then it doesn't matter when the process began.

I only cited New England as one example.  There are dozens of teams that re-sign players just before free agency starts.  Often it's the player trying to put the squeeze on the team.  The comment alluded to Idzik making this last offer right before the beginning of FA as some type of novice move, when in fact it is quite common for players to get re-signed the day before - if not hours before - free agency beginning.  Strategically, it's not always such a great idea to jump all over a player so much earlier when the season's already over.  It makes you (as a GM) look desperate and the price can go up.  Likewise, I'm sure Idzik - like most GMs - wanted to wait until the combine to see if there were guys he thought he might want to draft for very little money instead of forking over millions for Howard. The savings wouldn't just go in a cash box under the counter. It would be used on other players.  There are plenty of reasons to wait before signing a not-awesome player to near-awesome money.

As far as him not being signed (yet)? It takes 2 to tango.  There has to be an offer and an acceptance; an offer alone will not suffice.

Who says he didn't?

I believe I used the term "if what we heard is true" not that it didn't happen. I don't recall anything saying that he approached howard sooner and typically you hear these things. idzik had 1 starter that he wanted to re-sign this offseason. regardless of what other teams are doing(pats with edleman and any other team for that matter), if I were the gm and I knew I wanted howard re-signed, I would have approached him much sooner. players attitudes can change the closer they get to payday. now, with the 10% cap raise, even teams that were considered cap tight are now players. a deal that looked attractive to howard now looks lackluster considering the extra money that will be thrown around. as far as the offer to howard, seems like a fair amount, but in theory, a 10% increase in cap should mean a 10% increase in players salary. so a 5.5m offer before the raise could be looked at at 6m after the raise

All we allegedly know is the Jets made a top offer of $5.5M, which is a bit high for Howard, and he turned it down.  There is no evidence that the Jets ignored Howard until 2 weeks ago, and if this is the type of offer Howard found unacceptable then it doesn't matter when the process began.

I only cited New England as one example.  There are dozens of teams that re-sign players just before free agency starts.  Often it's the player trying to put the squeeze on the team.  The comment alluded to Idzik making this last offer right before the beginning of FA as some type of novice move, when in fact it is quite common for players to get re-signed the day before - if not hours before - free agency beginning.  Strategically, it's not always such a great idea to jump all over a player so much earlier when the season's already over.  It makes you (as a GM) look desperate and the price can go up.  Likewise, I'm sure Idzik - like most GMs - wanted to wait until the combine to see if there were guys he thought he might want to draft for very little money instead of forking over millions for Howard. The savings wouldn't just go in a cash box under the counter. It would be used on other players.  There are plenty of reasons to wait before signing a not-awesome player to near-awesome money.

As far as him not being signed (yet)? It takes 2 to tango.  There has to be an offer and an acceptance; an offer alone will not suffice.

we don't know if howard turned down the offer. he could have told the jets that he plans to think about it. as far as a gm looking desperate approaching a player early, that just doesn't make any sense. it just states the gm likes what he sees in the player and wants him to be here longer. nothing more

So what would GM Bitonti offer the great Austin Howard? Do tell.  Say Austin Howard tells you that he wants $7M/year with close to $20M guaranteed.  You offer it or you pass up on it?

As it is I think we offered a little too much.  A little too much I could stomach, as it's one less position that needs to be filled, you know what you're getting, and really only 2 years are guaranteed.  But I wouldn't be doing cartwheels if we inked him for that deal.  I'd be just ok with it, as Howard is just ok as a right tackle.

All this talk about too much. 7 mil a year is 5% of the total cap. 5.5 is 4% of the total cap. We are talking about 1% of the cap more or lesss. 

The Jets have something ridiculous like 50 million in cap space. The cap is reportedly going up by 10 mil chunks every year. The idea of too much vs fair is not relevant. the Jets have the money to spend. 

There's tape of him shutting down Mario Williams 2x a year. The Jets don't want to pay market price for this player, a 27 year old with great size and 2 starting seasons.

what's the alternative? Some over the hill stop gap like Clabo? Oday? burn a first rounder on Zach Martin? There is an opportunity cost there and the cost of the Jets addressing their other needs is worth more than 1.5 Mil a year. It's worth more than 1% of the cap to not have to worry about RT. 

All this talk about too much. 7 mil a year is 5% of the total cap. 5.5 is 4% of the total cap. We are talking about 1% of the cap more or lesss. 

The Jets have something ridiculous like 50 million in cap space. The cap is reportedly going up by 10 mil chunks every year. The idea of too much vs fair is not relevant. the Jets have the money to spend. 

There's tape of him shutting down Mario Williams 2x a year. The Jets don't want to pay market price for this player, a 27 year old with great size and 2 starting seasons.

what's the alternative? Some over the hill stop gap like Clabo? Oday? burn a first rounder on Zach Martin? There is an opportunity cost there and the cost of the Jets addressing their other needs is worth more than 1.5 Mil a year. It's worth more than 1% of the cap to not have to worry about RT. 

I don't know what stud RT's get and don't particularly care but this post seems logical to me.

I say we just go 10 a year before free agency starts and make it happen. That's only like 7.5% of the cap

Just because you have cap room you do not wildly overpay for a player- that is sure fire way to get right back to cap hell. If he is asking a ridiculous amount over his value let him walk.

i guess the problem here is defining Howard's value. The Jets have a definition and the free market has another. 

i guess the problem here is defining Howard's value. The Jets have a definition and the free market has another. 

you don't know that. the offer the jets gave howard could be right in line with other offers. this is howards first payday and he could be playing this very cautiously. until we see a right tackle signed this year after free agency starts, we wont know what the market is

So you have chosen to completely dodge my question.

What contract would you offer Austin Howard?

image-36.jpg

I believe I used the term "if what we heard is true" not that it didn't happen. I don't recall anything saying that he approached howard sooner and typically you hear these things. idzik had 1 starter that he wanted to re-sign this offseason. regardless of what other teams are doing(pats with edleman and any other team for that matter), if I were the gm and I knew I wanted howard re-signed, I would have approached him much sooner. players attitudes can change the closer they get to payday. now, with the 10% cap raise, even teams that were considered cap tight are now players. a deal that looked attractive to howard now looks lackluster considering the extra money that will be thrown around. as far as the offer to howard, seems like a fair amount, but in theory, a 10% increase in cap should mean a 10% increase in players salary. so a 5.5m offer before the raise could be looked at at 6m after the raise

Cart and horse.

AFTER the cap was raised the Jets offered $5.5M. Before that I think the offer would have been less. You're assuming it would be identical and arguing under that premise.

It really doesn't matter. Austin Howard is not worth the $5.5M that's supposedly been offered. He isn't that level player. He may be worth overpaying a tad just because of continuity or whatever, but I'm not going to cry over losing Austin Howard.

He is fine, nothing more. Like Slauson.

Cart and horse.

AFTER the cap was raised the Jets offered $5.5M. Before that I think the offer would have been less. You're assuming it would be identical and arguing under that premise.

It really doesn't matter. Austin Howard is not worth the $5.5M that's supposedly been offered. He isn't that level player. He may be worth overpaying a tad just because of continuity or whatever, but I'm not going to cry over losing Austin Howard.

He is fine, nothing more. Like Slauson.

whew well when you explain it that way I am sure glad we didnt spend poor Mr Johnsons money Frugally .  I mean cant we keep few 10 million just in case we want to go on vacation this year.  The lowly people will still watch the games they have nothing better to do.

whew well when you explain it that way I am sure glad we didnt spend poor Mr Johnsons money Frugally .  I mean cant we keep few 10 million just in case we want to go on vacation this year.  The lowly people will still watch the games they have nothing better to do.

Like this has anything at all to do with saving money for Woody Johnson.

oh yeah - who came up with cap numbers and who gets richer every year win or lose

and why do we care if the overspend 3 million when they are 40 million under anyway

Then don't. Live your life angry because someone undeserving has way more than you ever will. I'm sure it will serve you well and get you far.

We once before were in a great cap situation like this. Then it was gone and the team collapsed. No one gives a rat's ass about Woody Johnson's checking balance.

The fastest way to turn a great situation into a crappy one is by following your prescribed rationale.

Archived