You notice, all the good teams have done nothing?

eboozer

NE, Denver, Seattle...... Things are quiet. They're making their offers and won't overpay.

Even the 49er's in dropping Rodgers have signed Bethea at a fraction of the cost.

Idzik has the players he wants on the phone, working the deal.

Hope to hear tomorrow about Vontae or Verner or Byrd, Ward, Woodley, Vick or McCown, Sanders or Tate or Jones.

Idzik not panicking & certainly not overpaying( Howard)

In this case, how much $$$ do the "good" teams have to spend? If I remember right, teams that were loaded with cash were the Raiders, Browns, Fins. It's the teams that have $$$ that are making moves. The fact that they're bad is probably the reason why they have so much $$$ to spend.

True, but the observation holds true year after year.

The teams that are consistently good, usually wait out the over-spend frenzy.

Teams like the Patriots or the Steelers aren't usually too active in free agency because they've locked up their own guys already and often one of those is a franchise QB. Hence not so much $$$ to spend.

True, but the observation holds true year after year.

The teams that are consistently good, usually wait out the over-spend frenzy.

Yea, there was an article somewhere that showed Seattle'a history of only participating in the second day of free agency.  Still didn't stop me from scouring the net all afternoon. 

Even though they are far from "good", the Browns made good moves by signing Dansby and Whitner chop-chop.

Signing the cast from the Golden Girls? In 2 yrs. max they'll be wishing they went younger.

Unless you have a guaranteed home run signing at a core need, I don't think it's smart to be first in line with the checkbook out. That is the time when teams overpay in a panic.

Teams don't panic at the end of free agency when there are very few options to pick from?

the problem with this whole situation isn't that Idzik is sitting out the first day of free agency

it's that the fans got their hopes up, with no reason.

this GM hasn't made one financially significant move since being hired.  I guess the Nick Folk signing? 

Idzik is the anti tanny. It's gonna be cheap signings and getting production out of mid round picks 

the problem with this whole situation isn't that Idzik is sitting out the first day of free agency

this GM hasn't made one financially significant move since being hired.  I guess the Nick Folk signing? 

Idzik is the anti tanny. It's gonna be cheap signings and getting production out of mid round picks 

No reason? We've got 40 million reasons to get our hopes up.

And how could Idzik have made a significant move since he got here? The Jets had no cap room last year, it was impossible, even if he wanted to do something.

How do cheap signings benefit us exactly? Apparently we're not interested in extending Wilkerson or Kerley, so how does having an extra $20 million under the cap going to help us? You don't get that cap room back. A very good safety just got signed for $5.5m and we don't even have a single decent safety. It would be better for the Jets to have that extra unused $5.5 under the cap doing nothing with it than actually having an NFL caliber safety? How so?

Yea, there was an article somewhere that showed Seattle'a history of only participating in the second day of free agency.  Still didn't stop me from scouring the net all afternoon. 

Yeah because the Seahawks never signed Matt Flynn, didn't trade for Charlie Whitehurst or Percy Harvin or Rice or Lynch.   

And they just re-signed their biggest FA to be before Free Agency even started.  So yeah they can wait for second tier because they already made a bunch of headline moves.      It's just odd people ignore that fact about them.

Many of those moves didn't exactly work out, but the Seahawks have been a team who takes a ton of chances, a team who seems to know how to build around 3rd-6th round picks.     

Yeah except last season he got very little value out of those mid round picks.     Winters is a work in progress and pretty much sucked most of the season.   Ivory was traded for a 4th round pick, and while he's ok, he's pretty much a backup RB on most other NFL teams and he's useless if you want to pass the ball.    So if you sign cheap players and hope to build with mid to late round picks,  his first season wasn't that impressive.  

I mean his best signings last year were his first round picks.  And Milliner is still an unknown.    Other than that, his draft picks weren't exactly impressive.  Lets hope this year he finds good first round picks and good later round picks.  

Yeah because the Seahawks never signed Matt Flynn, didn't trade for Charlie Whitehurst or Percy Harvin or Rice or Lynch.   

And they just re-signed their biggest FA to be before Free Agency even started.  So yeah they can wait for second tier because they already made a bunch of headline moves.      It's just odd people ignore that fact about them.

Many of those moves didn't exactly work out, but the Seahawks have been a team who takes a ton of chances, a team who seems to know how to build around 3rd-6th round picks.     

Matt Flynn was signed Sunday March 18, 2012.   Five days after free agency opened. 

Charlie Whitehurst was acquired March 17, 2010 almost a month and a half after free agency opened, February 27.  

Sydney Rice was signed in July the year he joined Seattle. (psst, that's almost four month after free agency opened) 

Lynch was traded for in October, 2010;

and as you mentioned, Harvin was traded for before free agency started last year.

I don't see how the article I referenced (about Idzik coming from a FO that tends to wait on making player acquisitions) is in question.  His reluctance to go all spend-crazy at the "stroke of midnight" shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. But we are dealing with a fan-base conditioned by Tannenbaum to wake up FA-morning, and run downstairs to see what's beneath the tree, I sure did.  But, If we are to assume Idzik is going to model the system he came from, we shouldn't be surprised to wait for the initial dust to settle before the signing pen comes out.   

No reason? We've got 40 million reasons to get our hopes up.

And how could Idzik have made a significant move since he got here? The Jets had no cap room last year, it was impossible, even if he wanted to do something.

This line of thinking, that idzik didn't make moves last year cause he had no cap space, invites hope that with lots of cap space, he will make lots of moves. 

This sounds like logic. And it is a tempting line of thought. But it neglects what actually happend last year.

Idzik had a little space.He could have signed 1 good guard. Instead he signed 2 average ones and drafted 3 more mid rounders. He could have signed a real backup QB. Instead he found a guy who hadn't taken a snap since 2010 and was cheap. He could have signed 1 good safety. Instead he signed a bunch of junk. He couldn't have signed all of these good players but he could have signed one. He had room to play a little.

That's not his style. He doesn't solve a problem with a bold expensive move he throws cheap bodies at it. He's a dumpster diver and it doesn't matter if the player is good or bad as long as he is signed at a rate that is below market value somehow. 

heres a prediction Idzik won't ever trade up in the first round Tanny and Bradway style. It just won't happen. 

And with that I can't wait to see the RT competition this fall.  

but let me be clear however this sounds like I am bashing Idzik. I am trying to explain him and predict what he does in the mock draft.

It remains to be seen if this method can work. Basically he's running the Jets like a small market team. Pittsburgh or Green Bay come to mind as draft heavy, non free agency types of organizations. IF you draft smart and sign smart FA it actually could work. Or at least not be as terrible as Tanny's flameouts.

Like most teams they just need to fall ass backward into a franchise QB and they'll be fine. 

Idzik had a little space.He could have signed 1 good guard. Instead he signed 2 average ones and drafted 3 more mid rounders. He could have signed a real backup QB. Instead he found a guy who hadn't taken a snap since 2010 and was cheap. He could have signed 1 good safety. Instead he signed a bunch of junk. He couldn't have signed all of these good players but he could have signed one. He had room to play a little.

This isn't accurate.    Idzik was stuck with Sanchez last year.  That contract was an albatross - did you really expect Idzik to pay Sanchez, draft Geno, AND pay another QB to be 3rd on the depth chart and likely released?  

At OG, Colon was really not the problem.    The mistake was letting Slausen go, but I didn't see any great deals out there that the Jets passed on to play LG.    The same holds true at Safety.    Landry was a disappointment but which player should they have gone out and signed?   

Idzik struck out on last year's 2nd, 3rd, 5th 6th 7th round picks.  YIKES.  I wonder how much of a hand he really had in the Seahawks really forming that team.  

Idzik struck out on last year's 2nd, 3rd, 5th 6th 7th round picks.  YIKES.  I wonder how much of a hand he really had in the Seahawks really forming that team.  

I get you're pretty quick to write the book on players, but judging a draft class after only one year simply doesn't make sense.  You need to usually wait at least three years to see how they get better: and yes, rookies do get better.   

I get you're pretty quick to write the book on players, but judging a draft class after only one year simply doesn't make sense.  You need to usually wait at least three years to see how they get better: and yes, rookies do get better.   

None of those picks he mentioned really showed ANYTHING to make you think they will have any impact on the roster at all. 

None of those picks he mentioned really showed ANYTHING to make you think they will have any impact on the roster at all. 

Winters graded out significantly better towards the last quarter of the season compared to the first 12 games, same goes for Geno.  That in and of itself gives you reason to believe that they can improve even moreso than they already did. 

Archived