Now I'm startin' to get pissed!!

eboozer

I've been trying to keep calm during the last 60 hrs. supporting Idzik in his laid back approach, waiting for some value, after the initial
hysteria of FA. As I saw Ward, Byrd, Davis, Verner, Woodley, Ware, Garrett Graham, Eugene Monroe, Jared Veldheer, Branden Albert, Rodger Saffold, Asamoah, Schwartz, Beadles etc. sign elsewhere, I thought to myself.... we have a plan to compete for a playoff spot this year.

We sign Decker and Breno, and I think, here we go..... pick up Pettigrew, James Jones or Sanders, DRC, Clemons or Wright at Safety, and an RB like Sproles and we're good to go

Then I saw Sproles traded for a 5th, Pettigrew re-signed for $4 mil/yr, Browner heading to NE, Munnerlyn signing in Minn. and I begin to wonder, is Idzik being "Joe Cool" and letting the market come to him OR is he in over his head as a GM?? Is he paralyzed, afraid to make a big mistake or overpay and leave us with only $30 million for next year?

He's been a number cruncher in Seattle for the past 5 years, does this make him qualified to be a GM who aggressively goes out and makes this team better, positioning himself in FA so that we have flexibility in the Draft? We have Very Big holes at RG, TE, S, CB, QB,  and smaller holes at RB.

Proverbs 17:28

Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.

Just because Idzik is holding his tongue and not over-spending does not mean he is a good evaluator of talent. Sometimes the lack of understanding causes us to freeze.... I hope this is not the case. I hope I am wrong.

I'm beginning to wonder if this will be a lost season.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the VERY least he could have signed revis @1yr...If you're not going to spend all the money this year, why the hell would you just let it sit an doing nothing? Give it to Revis on a 1 year contract and that money would be made available to him again next season.

He's doing this shi* on purpose...Nobody can be this clueless.

At the VERY least he could have signed revis @1yr...If you're not going to spend all the money this year, why the hell would you just let it sit an doing nothing? Give it to Revis on a 1 year contract and that money would be made available to him again next season.

Maybe because we're not a Revis away from a title?  There's a reason we signed Decker to a 5-year deal.  We're thinking big-picture right now, not "Let's find a way to spend all this money, right now!"

Yes, yes, he's doing this on purpose.  He's out to get you.  They're all out to get you.

What would that accomplish, other than satiate your desire to burn through cap space the team will eventually need?

We have 2 CBs.  New England had none.  If you really think if NE had 2 CBs on the team that they'd still fork over $12M for 1 season of Revis like a kid who isn't mature enough to save his allowance money, there's little point in the discussion.

The truth is he has been a GM for exactly one year so I'm sure there are going to be learning curves and bumps along the way. Mistakes will be made and   I'm sure there will be times when he makes the wrong decision. 

The other side of it is that we could be the Jets of the last 20 years and buy all the big names if we wanted to, but what has that done for us in the long run? Very little.

We are all uncomfortable with how he is working it this season, but I would rather he does't pull the trigger on a big deal, like we always do, if he is unsure than getting us bound to an underachieving old man who holds the cap hostage for years. 

I'm on board with him and his growth. 

So far he's gotten us the DROY which is more than we've done in a long time in Rd one. 

Yes, yes, he's doing this on purpose.  He's out to get you.  They're all out to get you.

What would that accomplish, other than satiate your desire to burn through cap space the team will eventually need?

We have 2 CBs.  New England had none.  If you really think if NE had 2 CBs on the team that they'd still fork over $12M for 1 season of Revis like a kid who isn't mature enough to save his allowance money, there's little point in the discussion.

yup, we are trying to build a team that will be a perennial playoff contender and not fall into a 2014 trap of throwing big bucks at a avergae 2014 team to hurt the' future perennial'  good team

He without a doubt should've overruled Woody Johnson or went over his head and signed Revis.

Maybe because we're not a Revis away from a title?  There's a reason we signed Decker to a 5-year deal.  We're thinking big-picture right now, not "Let's find a way to spend all this money, right now!"

Record was 8-8 last year, not 4-12. Are you saying with the cap we have and the draft we couldn't squeeze another 2-3 wins out over last year? Yeah, last year when we fielded that horrendous offense.

Record was 8-8 last year, not 4-12. Are you saying with the cap we have and the draft we couldn't squeeze another 2-3 wins out over last year? Yeah, last year when we fielded that horrendous offense.

We were pretty lucky to get to 8-8.  We were outscored by 97 points overall.  Only 6 teams were worse in that category.  I attribute our record more to a pretty good coaching job than the talent we had. 

As has been said before, the difference between 4-12 and 8-8 is not vast.  The difference between 8-8 and 11-5, however, IS.  We were a long way from being a contender.  48 hours ago, I'd say we had a roster capable of 6 or 7 wins, and that's probably being generous.  Hence the "big-picture" perspective.  Idzik didn't clear cap space to go on a spending spree.  He cleared the bad contracts so we could start with a blank slate and start pointing the franchise in the right direction.

We were pretty lucky to get to 8-8.  We were outscored by 97 points overall.  Only 6 teams were worse in that category.  I attribute our record more to a pretty good coaching job than the talent we had. 

As has been said before, the difference between 4-12 and 8-8 is not vast.  The difference between 8-8 and 11-5, however, IS.  We were a long way from being a contender.  48 hours ago, I'd say we had a roster capable of 6 or 7 wins, and that's probably being generous.  Hence the "big-picture" perspective.  Idzik didn't clear cap space to go on a spending spree.  He cleared the bad contracts so we could start with a blank slate and start pointing the franchise in the right direction.

Sounds like Sandy Alderson part II...Hows that been working out since 2010

I remember when Tanny was here, everyone said we needed to be more like the Steelers and Giants: teams that draft well and are thrifty when it comes to free agency.

Idzik comes in and does exactly that, and those same people are complaining that he isn't spending like crazy in free agency.

The truth is he has been a GM for exactly one year so I'm sure there are going to be learning curves and bumps along the way. Mistakes will be made and   I'm sure there will be times when he makes the wrong decision. 

The other side of it is that we could be the Jets of the last 20 years and buy all the big names if we wanted to, but what has that done for us in the long run? Very little.

We are all uncomfortable with how he is working it this season, but I would rather he does't pull the trigger on a big deal, like we always do, if he is unsure than getting us bound to an underachieving old man who holds the cap hostage for years. 

I'm on board with him and his growth. 

So far he's gotten us the DROY which is more than we've done in a long time in Rd one.

I believe that was with the old scouting dept. He's made changes since then.... I don't know if Sheldon would have been his pick if the "New" guys were on staff?

Sounds like Sandy Alderson part II...Hows that been working out since 2010

First of all, this isn't the MLB.  The NFL has a salary cap.  Second of all, can you name me an NFL team in league history that was a big-spender in free agency and won a Super Bowl the following year?

Finally, as far as the Mets are concerned, at least they're putting their focus on getting great homegrown pitching.  The only 2 times the Mets won the World Series, that was the common denominator.

I've been trying to keep calm during the last 60 hrs. supporting Idzik in his laid back approach, waiting for some value, after the initial

hysteria of FA. As I saw Ward, Byrd, Davis, Verner, Woodley, Ware, Garrett Graham, Eugene Monroe, Jared Veldheer, Branden Albert, Rodger Saffold, Asamoah, Schwartz, Beadles etc. sign elsewhere, I thought to myself.... we have a plan to compete for a playoff spot this year.

We sign Decker and Breno, and I think, here we go..... pick up Pettigrew, James Jones or Sanders, DRC, Clemons or Wright at Safety, and an RB like Sproles and we're good to go

Then I saw Sproles traded for a 5th, Pettigrew re-signed for $4 mil/yr, Browner heading to NE, Munnerlyn signing in Minn. and I begin to wonder, is Idzik being "Joe Cool" and letting the market come to him OR is he in over his head as a GM?? Is he paralyzed, afraid to make a big mistake or overpay and leave us with only $30 million for next year?

He's been a number cruncher in Seattle for the past 5 years, does this make him qualified to be a GM who aggressively goes out and makes this team better, positioning himself in FA so that we have flexibility in the Draft? We have Very Big holes at RG, TE, S, CB, QB,  and smaller holes at RB.

Proverbs 17:28

Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; When he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.

Just because Idzik is holding his tongue and not over-spending does not mean he is a good evaluator of talent. Sometimes the lack of understanding causes us to freeze.... I hope this is not the case. I hope I am wrong.

I'm beginning to wonder if this will be a lost season.

uh what moves were all that ingenious last year?

trading revis?....uh no anybody coming into the job was going to have to deal with that... was his way of dealing with it supergeniouslike?

drafting richardson....scouting dp had him pegged to top of board

whatelse - a lot of the rest of the moves were pure blunders

I remember when Tanny was here, everyone said we needed to be more like the Steelers and Giants: teams that draft well and are thrifty when it comes to free agency.

Idzik comes in and does exactly that, and those same people are complaining that he isn't spending like crazy in free agency.

Correct, except it isn't the people who were here on JN for the Tannenbaum years.  It's all these newcomers who are the one's complaining.  The old guard, for the most part, likes the fact that Idzik has been making very good decisions at every turn.

First of all, this isn't the MLB.  The NFL has a salary cap.  Second of all, can you name me an NFL team in league history that was a big-spender in free agency and won a Super Bowl the following year?

Finally, as far as the Mets are concerned, at least they're putting their focus on getting great homegrown pitching.  The only 2 times the Mets won the World Series, that was the common denominator.

No sh**, but he sounds awfully similar to what Alderson has said...and..just hows that working out huh? :)

Seattle has highest payroll and they won SB. :)

I'm lost. I don't get where all this idzik surport is coming from. What has he done? All I know is we have a bunch of holes and just watched all the top guys go to other teams. All I see left is the scraps. Unless our new rookies and gonna play lights out done see how we are competing for a playoff spot with this roster

Yes this man nailed it.

I'm lost. I don't get where all this idzik surport is coming from. What has he done? All I know is we have a bunch of holes and just watched all the top guys go to other teams. All I see left is the scraps. Unless our new rookies and gonna play lights out done see how we are competing for a playoff spot with this roster

LOL..They're blind fools supporting Idzik, fact is they're starting to wonder wtf he is doing, but they won't admit that.

uh what moves were all that ingenious last year?

trading revis?....uh no anybody coming into the job was going to have to deal with that... was his way of dealing with it supergeniouslike?

drafting richardson....scouting dp had him pegged to top of board

whatelse - a lot of the rest of the moves were pure blunders

1.  Just because "any GM" would have had to deal with that doesn't mean "any GM" would have gotten the deal done.  He got a 1st and 4th rounder out of it, did NOT have to pay Revis $16M, and the Bucs cut Revis 1 year later.  I'd call that "trade-raping."

2.  A GM who listens to his scouts!  This is a novel concept for a Jets GM!  2 years ago, Terry Bradway was SCREAMING for the Jets to take Russell Wilson.  Tannenbaum took Stephen Hill instead.  Guess who got Wilson?  Idzik's Seahawks.  Richardson was arguably the best player in the 2013 draft.  You have absolutely NOTHING to rip him for there.

3.  Idzik was hammered for Dee Milliner.  Not so much after he did the best job any CB had done on Josh Gordon all season long.  Was the Chris Ivory pickup a poor one?  Dude average 4.5 YPC behind an average (or worse) run-blocking line.  Geno was the consensus # 1 rated QB in the draft, and he got him in the 2nd round.  Even if he ends up a bust, it's very difficult to argue that was a poor selection.  If he ends up turning this around, the pick was genius. 

Was Decker a poor signing?  It was rumored he'd be looking to get $10M a year.  Yet he came to the Jets, a run-first team with a questionable QB situation, for just a hair over $7M per.  He was the consensus best receiver available on the market.  A guy who made plays even when Kyle Orton was QB, and even caught 20 passes from TIM TEBOW. 

It's really, really hard to knock the moves Idzik has been making.   

Archived