Decker says 'New Jersey's underrated'; says he doesn't need Peyton Manning to be great

F.Chowds

Eric Decker spent Wednesday at the Jets facility and went out to dinner that night with members of the Jets, including Rex Ryan, before agreeing to terms with Gang Green on a five-year, $36.25 million contract. Surely that all contributed to his signing, but another, perhaps unlikely, factor also might have played a role: the Jets’ home state.

“New Jersey’s underrated...It’s a beautiful place,” Decker said Friday.

He added that he thought New York City was “the biggest, the best city in the country,” but said that he chose the Jets for football reasons.

“Honestly, my priority when I went on the visit was football,” Decker said. “I wanted to do what’s best for me as a football player, and this organization offered that.”

Decker is now on board with the Jets, signed as the first new player brought in to try and fix a lackluster receiver group.

deckerweb15s-2-web.jpg ELSA/GETTY IMAGES Eric Decker, seen here playing at MetLife Stadium against the Giants last September, says New Jersey is a 'beautiful place.'

From now until Week 1, speculation will mount over how the Jets new free agent wide receive will perform without Peyton Manning fluttering on-target passes to him all season. Instead, it will be Geno Smith, or someone else, quarterbacking the Jets with certainly less precision than Decker is used to.

“Did he help? Of course he helped,” Decker said of Manning Friday. “He’s a future of Hall of Famer but I think I’m also a good football player and I think my skill set and my assets will help the team win football games.”

Decker spent some time in the area local recently when the Broncos played the Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium, albeit an unpleasant result. Decker himself had a poor game, making just one catch for six yards in the blowout loss to the Seahawks.

“From a personal standpoint, I wish I would have played a better football game,” Decker said. “I wish I would have been more productive.”

Decker said he never received an official offer from the Broncos to return.

@SethWalderNYDN

Some of the adjustments he makes are just sick. That catch on the Patriots @ 1:27, it's like the game was in slow motion.

He's a solid WR2 good signing.

He's sturdy.  Makes me feel comfortable about his long-term health, and makes me question if Marquis Lee is really going to be a fit for our long-term agenda, despite his skillset. 

He's sturdy. Makes me feel comfortable about his long-term health, and makes me question if Marquis Lee is really going to be a fit for our long-term agenda, despite his skillset.

I think it was a good signing. Him plus the WRs here and a new stud would be a solid core.

If Geno improves.

Highlights from last season, music NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8hjS0wKq8

definitely love this video, it'd be interesting to see how he does from going from these duck passes to geno's high velocity passes. I still think he'll do great as long as they're on target

Some of the adjustments he makes are just sick. That catch on the Patriots @ 1:27, it's like the game was in slow motion.

Yeah, definitely plays like that which lend themselves towards a more optimistic viewpoint.  Manning was obviously great for him, and we can't expect he'll put up similar numbers with Geno, or any other Jets QB, but the QB doesn't take anything away from some of those fantastic plays you see him making once the ball is there.  Hopefully the dip in production isn't too severe with the QB change, but regardless he seems likely to be capable of making plays that nobody else that the Jets currently have at the position could.

He has 36.25 million reasons to be polite and charming.

yes but only 15 million of those are guaranteed

btw he's right, Jersey is underrated. There are parts that are amazing. And parts that are terrible. Not telling this board anything it doesn't know. the fact that he played the Super Bowl here 6 weeks ago is meaningful (and i believe the Giants was a home game as well). 

yes but only 15 million of those are guaranteed

btw he's right, Jersey is underrated. There are parts that are amazing. And parts that are terrible. Not telling this board anything it doesn't know. the fact that he played the Super Bowl here 6 weeks ago is meaningful (and i believe the Giants was a home game as well). 

most notably, 25 mile radius around T0mShanes current address

Archived