Important Question about improving the roster

For all the Sunshine Sam's out there preaching patience..... The Jets STILL have NUMEROUS holes still to fill. And, with the majority of the good free agents now signed, where are these other quality players going to come from? The CFL? Are the 49ers and Seahawks planning major cuts? I dont get it.

We need a #1 CB, a #1 TE, Another TOP flight WR, 2 guards, A safety, depth at LB. Thats a big list. Kudos to Woody and John IDZDICK! Same old Jets:(

For all the Sunshine Sam's out there preaching patience..... The Jets STILL have NUMEROUS holes still to fill. And, with the majority of the good free agents now signed, where are these other quality players going to come from? The CFL? Are the 49ers and Seahawks planning major cuts? I dont get it.

We need a #1 CB, a #1 TE, Another TOP flight WR, 2 guards, A safety, depth at LB. Thats a big list. Kudos to Woody and John IDZDICK! Same old Jets:(

Other than #1 CB, #1 TE, #2 WR, LG, RG, FS, SS, OLB, QB #2, etc., Idzik has done a superb job this offseason. In 20 years, we should have a complete team.

Other than #1 CB, #1 TE, #2 WR, LG, RG, FS, SS, OLB, QB #2, etc., Idzik has done a superb job this offseason. In 20 years, we should have a complete team.

Outside of the fact that you're flat out exaggerating the amount of "needs" vs "wants" are you trying to say that all of these supposed "needs" should've been solved in one FA period?

was the seahawks influx of talent and subsequent superbowl victory the result if rampant spending and huge contracts to major free agent acquisitions? couple deft trades(lynch and harvin)harvin got a big contract, who else? the seahawks didnt happen over night. maybe we need pete carrol back?

Honestly our needs to compete are. Offense, & a CB. Not to mention we have a young D that mite improve, and a young QB that mite (I believe will) improve. So our major needs are Guard and skills position. But WR, RB, & TE needs depth. Not to mention a young guard who could plan out.

So our most glaring need is simply a GUARD AND a CORNER.

Probably bringing back Willie and Cro, who are liked & respected in the locker room. So after that. If they're healthy we're a better team entering the draft simply by adding Decker, and Breno (who's a better run blocker then Austin Howard, but as well more penalized.

was the seahawks influx of talent and subsequent superbowl victory the result if rampant spending and huge contracts to major free agent acquisitions? couple deft trades(lynch and harvin)harvin got a big contract, who else? the seahawks didnt happen over night. maybe we need pete carrol back?

The Seahawks made like 900 moves over a few seasons.  Something like 250+ moves the first year Schneider/Carroll were there.    They have used trades, free agents, the draft, undrafted players and more to build that team.        But yeah, lets keep saying it's all about the draft because that'll make it true or something.

Post it in one of the other 6000 threads

DMC... out of your 5 day self imposed ban, you made it 2 1/2. I commend you. Better than I could and should do.

Dear Mr. Idzik- This is how you draft contracts w/ FAs

Posted by SayNoToDMC on 15 March 2014 - 03:55 PM in New York Jets Message Board

I quit, free agency has made this place intolerable. I'll be back for the mock draft

http://t.co/wpNsdUo4ii

Eric Allen Sr. Reporter/Director, Internet ProgrammingEmail @eallenjets On the Inside

As of Monday, overthecap.com reported that the Jets have close to $28 million in cap space. What are the current team needs?

Cornerback

2013 Starters: Dee Milliner & Antonio Cromartie on the Outside, Kyle Wilson at Nickel

Last Sunday, the Jets released Antonio Cromartie instead of absorbing close to a $15 million cap hit. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie reportedly visited the Green & White over the weekend, but ESPN Insider Adam Schefter just reported moments ago that DRC has joined New York’s NFC representative. If the Green & White lined up tomorrow, their projected lineup might be Milliner and Walls with Wilson in the slot.

Who is Available: Antonio Cromartie visited the Cardinals, but there have not been any reports of a deal. If his hip has healed, would the Jets consider a reunion with the DB who turns 30 on April 15th? In addition to Cro, other names floating about include Carlos Rogers, Champ Bailey, Dimitri Patterson, and Jabari Greer (coming off a knee injury).

Right Guard

2013 Starter: Willie Colon

Colon, who reportedly tore biceps in the season finale against the Dolphins, started all 16 contests for the Jets in 2013. After signing on March 16th, he was part of a line that helped propel the Green & White to finish sixth in rushing. Colon and Vladimir Ducasse are unrestricted free agents while Will Campbell, a sixth-round project out of Michigan, enters an important offseason.

Who is Available: This isn’t considered a deep group. Veteran Travelle Wharton might be the best of the lot and former Bucs G Davin Joseph is hoping to rebound from a torn patella tendon. You wonder if the Jets will re-visit with Colon in the not too distant future.

Safety

2013 Starters: Dawan Landry & Ed Reed

Landry, who served as Rex Ryan/Dennis Thurman’s secondary QB, is under contract while Reed is a UFA. Despite appearing in only seven contests last season, Reed tied for the team-lead with seven interceptions and he served as a mentor for the Jets young safeties. The Jets are high on Antonio Allen, a former seventh-round pick out of South Carolina who made eight starts last season and finished with 69 tackles

Who is Available: This list dried up rather quickly. Chris Clemons remains unsigned. The Jets, who also like Josh Bush behind Landry, may elect to wait to the draft to address this spot. Reed would seem to be a logical fit due to his familiarity with the defense.

Wide Receiver

2013 Starters: Santonio Holmes & Stephen Hill on the Outside, Jeremey Kerley in the Slot

After releasing Tone, the Jets secured arguably the top wideout on the free agent market in Eric Decker. Jeremy Kerley might be one of the most underappreciated players in the game today. David Nelson was a solid in-season addition and Stephen Hill has to rebound from a disappointing injury-plagued season.

The Jets could sit tight and wait for the draft, or they may elect to dip back into the free agency market. Marty Mornhinweg says you must throw the ball to score in the NFL and Jets were 7-1 when scoring 20 in 2013.

Who is Available: NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported today that the Jets are interested in former Seahawks WR Sidney Rice. James Jones (UPDATE: Jones reportedly agreed to terms with the Raiders late Monday), Miles Austin, Kenny Britt, Lance Moore and Jason Avant are a few of the other names on the secondary market. Former Jet Jerricho Cotchery is also looking for work.

Tight End

2013 Starter: Jeff Cumberland

The Jets kept Cumby in-house, but Kellen Winslow is an unrestricted free agent. Zach Sudfeld, who was claimed off of waivers from the Patriots, caught five passes as a rookie.

Who is Available: Jermichael Finley, coming off spinal fusion surgery, visited the Seahawks. Former Jets TE Dustin Keller also suffered a devastating knee injury last year, but he is a solid receiving option when healthy. Ed Dickson might provide a nice complement to Cumberland because he is a proven blocker.

Explosive RB/Return Man

2013: Mike Goodson

Goodson had a year to forget with a suspension for violating the NFL’s PED policy and then a knee injury that ended his abbreviated campaign after two games. The Irvington, NJ native is still under contract and a healthy Goodson was the fastest man on the Jets roster last season. He was a threat to go the distance every time he handled the rock.

Who is Available: LeGarrette Blount and Maurice Jones-Drew are unsigned as of St. Patrick’s Day.

Outside of the fact that you're flat out exaggerating the amount of "needs" vs "wants" are you trying to say that all of these supposed "needs" should've been solved in one FA period?

We have a LG, we have a SS (need a FS, Allen was all right until Rex went gaga over a shot Ed Reed)) and we have  OLBs (I don't love Pace but Rex does--and Coples came on last year).  Colon will probably be the RG.  Milliner will probably be the #1 CB.  Yes he sucked games 1 through 12.  But he was good from 13-16.  That is called progress for a guy in his rookie season.  We even have a #2 QB (Sanchez, God forbid) if we cannot sign or trade for one in the months before the season starts. Can we get a FS, a CB, a TE and a #2 WR in a 12 pick draft and during the rest of FA?  I don't see why not.  The team is not teetering on the edge of disaster in a rebuilding season.  It is also not one the runway ready to launch themselves into the playoffs. Folks, get it out of your head that this is anything but a rebuild.  We were not REALLY 8-8 last year.  That was an illusion.

DMC... out of your 5 day self imposed ban, you made it 2 1/2. I commend you. Better than I could and should do.

I quit, free agency has made this place intolerable. I'll be back for the mock draft

free agency junkie---he has gone back to the halfway house.

Gotta trust your first instinct. I guess I had too much to drink at the parade. You caught me, now reward yourself by playing in traffic

When did the Draft become separate from the off-season? Did this happen without my knowledge?

For all the chicken littles, yes it actually doesn't exist and neither do our 12 draft picks. Even if it did, we'll have 12 busts and most likely cut them all before training camp. All is lost. We are shooting for #1 pick for 2015 with a new HC. Idzik has no idea how to overspend. Thats just Idzikulous!

The Seahawks made like 900 moves over a few seasons.  Something like 250+ moves the first year Schneider/Carroll were there.    They have used trades, free agents, the draft, undrafted players and more to build that team.        But yeah, lets keep saying it's all about the draft because that'll make it true or something.

Idzik traded away the best CB in the league and drafted the DROY with the pick. He also traded a 4th for Chris Ivory last draft. It hasn't even been one full year of this guy and we're putting him over the fire. It's getting crazy here. 

we lost 3 starters, picked up 2

are you really that verklempt over 1 DB ?

Ward, Schwartz, Decker and Pettigrew (or Chandler, etc.) as a start, would have been a fair expectation that would have kept us well below the salary cap while improving the team noticeably.

The Seahawks made like 900 moves over a few seasons. Something like 250+ moves the first year Schneider/Carroll were there. They have used trades, free agents, the draft, undrafted players and more to build that team. But yeah, lets keep saying it's all about the draft because that'll make it true or something.

oh yeah youre right! they signed on matt flynn, terrell owens and sydney rice! all of whom were so integral to their hoisting of the lombardi trophy.

Archived