EVERYTHING CHRIS JOHNSON: MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

walterfootball.com/freeagents2014recap.php

Jets sign RB Chris Johnson (2 years, $8 million): D Grade

I hope Rex Ryan enjoyed his time coaching the Jets because his fate has been sealed. He will be fired at the end of this season in the wake of the Chris Johnson signing. On the bright side, the Jets are likely to have a top-two selection next spring, as seen here in my 2015 NFL Mock Draft.

This is a terrible signing on so many levels. First of all, Johnson is not a good player. He frequently dances around behind the line of scrimmage and has too many negative runs. He doesn't have his elite speed anymore - he turns 29 in September - so there is no more upside with all of his downside. Johnson is also terrible on third downs because he's atrocious in pass protection. Second, Johnson is an awful person to have in the locker room because he throws his teammates and coaching staff under the bus whenever he struggles. Instead of taking the blame himselves (Emmitt Mock is coming soon!) - most of which he deserves - he spreads it around, creating a horrible vibe.

Third, Johnson, like the quarterback the Jets just signed, is a coach killer. Not only is he bad to have around teammates, as mentioned, but he happens to be an extremely overrated commodity. He's still a big name, so the media will hype up the Jets entering this season. Offseason hype plus regular-season disappointment is a recipe for coaches being fired, so Ryan will be the latest victim of CJ2YPC and the new quarterback.

This Idzik is more diabolical than we thought. No wonder Shane loves him.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope Rex Ryan enjoyed his time coaching the Jets because his fate has been sealed. He will be fired at the end of this season in the wake of the Chris Johnson signing. On the bright side, the Jets are likely to have a top-two selection next spring, as seen here in my 2015 NFL Mock Draft.

This is a terrible signing on so many levels. First of all, Johnson is not a good player. He frequently dances around behind the line of scrimmage and has too many negative runs. He doesn't have his elite speed anymore - he turns 29 in September - so there is no more upside with all of his downside. Johnson is also terrible on third downs because he's atrocious in pass protection. Second, Johnson is an awful person to have in the locker room because he throws his teammates and coaching staff under the bus whenever he struggles. Instead of taking the blame himselves (Emmitt Mock is coming soon!) - most of which he deserves - he spreads it around, creating a horrible vibe.

Third, Johnson, like the quarterback the Jets just signed, is a coach killer. Not only is he bad to have around teammates, as mentioned, but he happens to be an extremely overrated commodity. He's still a big name, so the media will hype up the Jets entering this season. Offseason hype plus regular-season disappointment is a recipe for coaches being fired, so Ryan will be the latest victim of CJ2YPC and the new quarterback.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Walter just a glorified amateur?

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2014RB.php

Chris Johnson, RB, Titans. Age: 28. (2 half stars)

One of the most overrated players in the NFL, Chris Johnson hasn't been good for years. He's a poor runner because he's way too indecisive, resulting in lots of negative runs. This was acceptable when he used to break 50-yard runs quite frequently, but those days - along with his elite speed - are long gone. Johnson turns 29 in September, so he's going to just get it worse, and to top it off, he stinks in pass protection, so he can't really be used on third downs. He would probably be an overrated commodity if the demand for running backs wasn't so low.

From the point of view of a Titans fan who has watched every carry CJ has had as a pro:

Walter is not that far off. CJ does dance around a lot trying to make the huge run. 20% of his carries go for 0 or negative yards. He is a me guy who will blame anyone he can for his poor performance. He is weak in pass protection and a below average receiver for an RB.

Sure he will hit on the odd big run but you will also see a lot of 3-and-outs with CJ. All leading to a terrible time of possession.

If Chris Johnson isn't going to be be what we project him to be upon signing then he's not going to see $10 mil from the Jets similar to how Goodson wasn't going to see $7 mil from the Jets. Similar to what you said let's not act like Johnson's contract is fully guaranteed as well for 2 seasons if he were to sign for that figure. That contract is essentially a 1 year $5 mil contract with a team option. Also 28 isn't that old for a player of CJ's playing style.

Why offer him $10M flat out when he could be had for less?

Goodson got $1.9M guaranteed and $1M of that was his signing bonus.  Cut him after year 1 and there would have been almost nothing residual (less than $1M).  They didn't pay him $2.3M/year as you asserted earlier.  He got a $1M signing bonus and a $700K salary.  That $1M gets spread over 3 years if he stayed all 3 years, which would have only happened had he worked out as hoped.  Otherwise it was $1.7M in year 1, $1M even in year 2, and then cut him prior to year 3 with a barely-acknowledgeable $333K dead cap hit.  In other words, it was 2 years $2.7M (avg of $1.3M for the first 2 years).  Far cry from being almost the same as Chris Johnson's amount.

This is why I brought up Decker earlier.  He was supposed to cost $9-10M per and we got him for barely $7M.  You don't pay someone more just because you have the space to do it. 

You wanted to pay him $5M/year for 2 years and it seems you would have guaranteed the full $5M of the first year.  So you would have overpaid.

Some seem just so eager to use the full cap, including space that could be pushed onto next year, whether it means overpaying or not.  And the reason is because we're ___ dollars under the cap so we should spend as much as possible when we're still winning nothing absent Geno becoming a far better QB.  But then in the future, when Geno or his replacement puts us in a position to do something, we'll have far less flexibility in terms of available space and/or we'll be locked into a player we'd like to sever ties with.  

A look how he grade our other signings

Willie Colon, G, Jets (re-sign) - A-

Breno Giacomini, OT, Seahawks - B

Calvin Pace, DE/OLB, Jets (re-sign) - B

Jeff Cumberland, TE, Jets (re-sign) - B

Eric Decker, WR, Broncos - C

QBDK, QB, Eagles - D

haha - hard to take the dude serious

cimini_rich_55_normal.jpg
Chris Johnson tells @jwyattsports: "I have a fresh start. Now I am going to go out there with a chip on my shoulder." #nyj
32m
Beat Writer / Columnist

cimini_rich_55_normal.jpg
More Chris Johnson: "I know a lot of people are doubting me. I want to prove everybody wrong who has doubts in me." (via @jwyattsports).
31m
Beat Writer / Columnist

Love it.  Rex will play this out hard.  He loves using this type of stuff as motivation.

We are doomed. Our only RB is not going to be effective per a guy who still lives in his Mom's basement.

A look how he grade our other signings

Willie Colon, G, Jets (re-sign) - A-

Breno Giacomini, OT, Seahawks - B

Calvin Pace, DE/OLB, Jets (re-sign) - B

Jeff Cumberland, TE, Jets (re-sign) - B

Eric Decker, WR, Broncos - C

QBDK, QB, Eagles - D

Their three best signings were D, D, C

Niice

dont tell me you had any faith he'd actually sign johnson after he let him leave without a deal

Not really relevant. Just as signing him doesn't make Idzik a genius, not signing him wouldn't have made him all the things quoted.

zach Martin at 18 and I find slats wherever he is to see his face.

Haha! Not happening. There will be a WR or CB available at #18 who the Jets rate higher. Idzik understands guards are a terrible value in the first round. :)

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2014RB.php

Chris Johnson, RB, Titans. Age: 28. (2 half stars)

One of the most overrated players in the NFL, Chris Johnson hasn't been good for years. He's a poor runner because he's way too indecisive, resulting in lots of negative runs. This was acceptable when he used to break 50-yard runs quite frequently, but those days - along with his elite speed - are long gone. Johnson turns 29 in September, so he's going to just get it worse, and to top it off, he stinks in pass protection, so he can't really be used on third downs. He would probably be an overrated commodity if the demand for running backs wasn't so low.

It's not like the Jets are under some obligation to rely on Chris Johnson. He's going to have to take some coaching. Specifically, he's going to have to take what's there rather than wait for what's not there and take a loss or no gain - or he'll be pulled for Ivory in a hurry.

Meanwhile, Mornhinweg has to do his job and create plays for CJ that take advantage of his talent. Get the ball in his hands in space quickly. I expect Johnson to be an asset, particularly in the passing game. Neither Geno nor Vick is a high percentage passer. Having a guy in the backfield who can turn a dump off into a positive play will be a huge plus. That's how I expect CJ to be used, primarily. Even if he's on the field more than Ivory, I won't be surprised if Ivory has more carries.

Haha! Not happening. There will be a WR or CB available at #18 who the Jets rate higher. Idzik understands guards are a terrible value in the first round. :)

Yea, I have a tough time seeing a guard being the highest rated player on the Jets' board when our pick rolls around.  This place would have been a nightmare if we actually did take a guard in the top 10 last year and then realized that the best one in the entire draft was selected two rounds later.

It's not like the Jets are under some obligation to rely on Chris Johnson. He's going to have to take some coaching. Specifically, he's going to have to take what's there rather than wait for what's not there and take a loss or no gain - or he'll be pulled for Ivory in a hurry.

Idzik strikes me as the type that keeps it very real in negotiations. This is what you're worth to us, this is what we have in mind for you, no other bullsh*t. Johnson probably has a reasonable expectation for what's in store for him, especially since we have had a similar case with Ladainian, so there's something empirical to base it off of. And if he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and actually does have one more great year because of it, all the better.

Yea, I have a tough time seeing a guard being the highest rated player on the Jets' board when our pick rolls around.  This place would have been a nightmare if we actually did take a guard in the top 10 last year and then realized that the best one in the entire draft was selected two rounds later.

As opposed to the Disney park it was taking a corner? 

Change Jackson to Beckham & jace amaro with Cumberland. What you think now?

QB Vick/Geno

RB Johnson, Ivory

WR Beckham Jr, Kerley

WR Decker, Hill, Nelson

TE Amaro, Cumberland

No need to change Cumberland as the goal there would be to have Amaro as the starter replacing the question mark. I would also rather Lee followed up by Evans instead oj ODB.

are you suggesting that idzik hasnt possibly made any mistakes this offseason? we will see what happens this year.....but i think he's made some mistakes. hopefully i'm wrong

No, that is not what I'm suggesting.  I'm countering another one of your ridiculous assertions.

New York Jets: Chris Johnson Creates Crowded Backfield

Apr 17 2014 10:35 PM | Views: 153 | Johnny Shea in New York Jets

The New York Jets greatly improved the potency of their offense by acquiring former 2,000-yard rusher Chris Johnson earlier this week. Mandatory Credit: Don McPeak-USA TODAY Sports

The Jets' formerly defunct cast of offensive "playmakers" are no longer the laughing stock of the NFL. General manager John Idzik inked veteran running back Chris Johnson to a two-year contract worth up to $9 million earlier this week. Adam Schefter (h/t Twitter) was the first to report the signing. The deal is a good one for New York, considering the team's desperate need for a running back that knows how to find the end zone.

The Jets' newly formulated plan for success on offense is very reminiscent of the "ground and pound" mantra that head coach Rex Ryan employed en route to consecutive AFC title game appearances in 2009-10. The biggest difference in the "two-dreaded monster" of Johnson and Chris Ivory in comparison to running back tandems of past seasons is that New York now flaunts speed in their backfield.

While Johnson does not possess the CJ2K of 2009 brand of speed, he's out to prove doubters wrong. He's also still very capable of shaking should-be tacklers for big gains. Johnson recorded just five runs of 20-plus yards last season, averaging 3.9 yards per carry on 279 attempts. To compare, he registered 22 carries of at least 20 yards in 2009.

The Jets won't be asking Johnson to run the ball 17-plus times per game, though. Ivory is plenty capable of handling a durable work load, which he proved last season while averaging 4.6 yards per carry on 182 attempts. They should pair nicely, especially given the running ability of quarterbacks Geno Smith and Michael Vick, who should help open up running lanes for both backs.

The biggest problem plaguing the Jets' backfield is overcrowding. After acquiring Johnson, the Jets' offense now features five running backs, three of which figure to be a part of the team's offense in 2014. Although Bilal Powell figures to receive a reduction in carries next season, his roster spot likely won't be in jeopardy, barring injury.

Powell split carries with Ivory in 2013, averaging 4.0 yards per carry on 176 attempts. He also caught 36 passes for 272 yards, averaging 7.6 yards per catch out of the backfield. He offers depth in the backfield and also showcases pass-catching prowess. While it remains unlikely for former Green Bay Packers' lead back Alex Green to make the 53-man roster out of camp, the Jets face a difficult decision in regard to Mike Goodson, who missed most of the 2013 season due to suspension and injury.

Goodson was one of the first contracts Idzik negotiated upon becoming the Jets' GM. It was a bad move, to say the least. Goodson's off the field issues derailed his season before it ever started, leading to a four-game suspension. He was noticeably out of football shape when he rejoined the team, registering 80 yards from scrimmage on nine touches before tearing the ACL and MCL in his left knee. Now, it seems imminent that New York will grant him an outright release at some juncture this offseason.

Manish Mehta of New York Daily News (h/t Twitter) speculates the Jets will release Goodson before the 2014 season starts, despite signing him to a three-year deal last offseason. There simply isn't space for Goodson on the Jets' roster. New York's now crowded, although also improved, backfield will be the backbone of their offense in 2014, which is suddenly capable of scoring points. 

Rex Ryan's pitch to Chris Johnson

April, 17, 2014

APR 17

7:30

PM ET

By Jane McManus | ESPNNewYork.com

If you need any more evidence of the draw coach Rex Ryan has over NFL free agents, look no farther than Chris Johnson's initial conference call on Thursday afternoon. He was asked why he chose the New York Jets, and he noted the Jets had a chance to win it all.

"They know how to win over there, " Johnson said. "The type of team that they had last year, they got a great defense. Any time you have a great defense you give yourself a great chance at winning. Looking at the team, me going there to get more playmakers on offense, we know as an organization if we're able to put up points, then that will give us a good chance at winning. So I felt I would be able to fit that mold and come there and help offense."

Not only have Ryan's Jets not delivered in the last three years, costing numerous coaches and a general manager their jobs, but a running back actually mentioned the defense as a reason to come to New York.

The Jets are 22-26 since 2011, but listen to the facts that Johnson has at the ready after spending a few days at the Jets training facility in Florham Park.

"They haven't been to the playoffs in three years," Johnson said, "but last year they were one game out from the playoffs and the year before those three years they were a playoff team that was close to the Super Bowl and all those types of things."

It's the closest fans may get to hearing Ryan's actual sales pitch to a free agent.

Later Thursday, 98.7 ESPN New York's Michael Kay asked Johnson about Ryan and you could almost hear him smile through the radio.

"I can see me and him being real, real cool," Johnson said.

Can you imagine a player saying something like that after meeting, say, Patriots coach Bill Belichick? Ryan seems to have an effortless way of relating to players, and it may be part of the reason Johnson was drawn to New York over another team.

If Johnson has another 2,000-yard season, Ryan and his skills of persuasion will look pretty valuable. But that's one of the big ifs for the Jets as the team prepares to begin its offseason training program on Monday.

are you suggesting that idzik hasnt possibly made any mistakes this offseason? we will see what happens this year.....but i think he's made some mistakes. hopefully i'm wrong

Of course he's made mistakes.  Every GM, on every team makes mistakes.    I haven't exactly  been a major Idzik  cheerleader the last month or so.   Really wanted Howard back, and REALLY wanted Revis back for one year at 12 million..  Was furious when he went to the Pats.

But looking back at what Idzik has done, he's made the team better without mortgaging the future.  The Jets will still have a lot of FA cash available next year, and 2 years to spend it in the 4 year CBA cycle.   Right now, before the draft, if they can get any kind of QB play, the Jets  will compete for a playoff spot.

If he can turn 2-3 "players" out of the 12 draft picks the Jets have, and add some depth, the Jets will be much improved.  

Don't know what else we could realistically expect.  I'm good right now.  Excited to see what the draft turns 

Archived