EVERYTHING CHRIS JOHNSON: MERGED

LAD_Brooklyn

People here have to appreciate the fact that these single incidents need to be understood in the bigger picture, which is that if your Darelle Revis, Cromartie, Holmes, Decker or Chris Johnson, or some young tight end like Jeff Cumberland, that nobody holds this team hostage anymore and performance is rewarded.

Well, to further your analogy, the last guy that was here had a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome more than anything.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Johnson Seeking 2 years, $10M

Erika Esola ✔ @emesola

Chris Johnson is seeking approximately 2 years, $10 million. Idzik is not budging over $3-4 mil/year it seems. #Jets #JetsTwitter

3:59 AM - 16 Apr 2014

So basically with the information I've gathered, the #Jets and Chris Johnson are about $2-4 million apart. #JetsTwitter

4:03 AM - 16 Apr 2014

This information is coming from a source close within Chris Johnson's camp. John Idzik's number of $3-4M is pretty much what I've been saying is appropriate, although I would personally like to keep it under $3.5M per year. For all of you that have said Idzik is low-balling Johnson, I think this proves that's false. The current market rate for a starting running back is roughly $3M per year. Idzik is offering slightly more than that, and Johnson is seeking a good chunk more.

As Esola originally noted, Johnson is planning on checking out other teams, such as the New York Giants. I sincerely doubt he gets $5M/per from another team, but we'll see. How much per year are you willing to go up to get Johnson?

EDIT: Kristian Dyer has confirmed that Idzik offered a multi-year deal, we're looking at $3-4M per, as Esola said.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/4/16/5619826/chris-johnson-seeking-2-years-10m

Idzik didn't have a problem overpaying injury prone RB Ivory and Goodson. Now when Johnson comes to the mix we're acting cheap? either that or Johnson over estimating his value. But if nothing gets done then we must move on. Got to assume he's worth more then Reggie Bush's $4 mil figure but he can't get over $5.5 as he doesn't really have that much of a demand. But hopefully they told him what he wants to know as far as role on the team, then his agent and Idzik can hammer out a contract.

We paid $1.5 Million to Ivory and he 4.6 ypc, 833 yards and 3 TD's in 15 games. Any team in the league would pay that $1.5 million for such a return. Though Goodson was hurt his salary was less than $670,000. Where's the overpay? 

So basically with the information I've gathered, the #Jets and Chris Johnson are about $2-4 million apart. #JetsTwitter

Chris Johnson is seeking approximately 2 years, $10 million. Idzik is not budging over $3-4 mil/year it seems. #Jets #JetsTwitter

Chris Johnson Seeking 2 years, $10M

By Scott Salmon  @ScottSalmon48 on Apr 16 2014, 5:14a 76

20140114_kkt_sv7_131.0_standard_709.0.jp
Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports

Per Erika Esola:

This information is coming from a source close within Chris Johnson's camp. John Idzik's number of $3-4M is pretty much what I've been saying is appropriate, although I would personally like to keep it under $3.5M per year. For all of you that have said Idzik is low-balling Johnson, I think this proves that's false. The current market rate for a starting running back is roughly $3M per year. Idzik is offering slightly more than that, and Johnson is seeking a good chunk more.

As Esola originally noted, Johnson is planning on checking out other teams, such as theNew York Giants. I sincerely doubt he gets $5M/per from another team, but we'll see. How much per year are you willing to go up to get Johnson?

EDIT: Kristian Dyer has confirmed that Idzik offered a multi-year deal, we're looking at $3-4M per, as Esola said.

I don't think any party is being unreasonable in this process. CJ is looking for some more cash. Idzik is looking for a bargain. Both not that far off.

If CJ can find more money somewhere else then do you really blame him? Wouldn't anyone here do the same if it was them ?

And Idzik is looking for the best of the organization going forward but it's obvious he's very interested in this piece to his puzzle.

The fact he hasn't signed yet or the fact we think Idzik is being Idzik and low balling really has no backing at this point. Both parties are just being smart on their end so far.

i don't blame CJ. it is a tough pill to swallow to take a 50% paycut whether you make millions or $50k a year. yeah i know 3.5M is still a lot of money but can you blame him for fielding other offers? i sure can't. that being said i hope we get him. he has something we desperately need--speed out of the backfield that can catch the ball.

We paid $1.5 Million to Ivory and he 4.6 ypc, 833 yards and 3 TD's in 15 games. Any team in the league would pay that $1.5 million for such a return. Though Goodson was hurt his salary was less than $670,000. Where's the overpay?

We paid a 4th round pick and gave him $10 mil (hence $4 mil in incentives) for a RB that only played 12 games out of 32 in the previous two seasons. Mike Goodson got over the minimum after playing in 18 games over 3 years or 48 games. Also your looking at the figure he restructure to a couple months ago and not what he was originally sign to.

Idzik didn't have a problem overpaying injury prone RB Ivory and Goodson. Now when Johnson comes to the mix we're acting cheap? either that or Johnson over estimating his value. But if nothing gets done then we must move on. Got to assume he's worth more then Reggie Bush's $4 mil figure but he can't get over $5.5 as he doesn't really have that much of a demand. But hopefully they told him what he wants to know as far as role on the team, then his agent and Idzik can hammer out a contract.

Goodson killed the Jets cap last year with his blockbuster 3 year deal worth $6.9 mil

Ivory outdid the Jets n the entire NFL by forging his way to a 3 yr $6mil deal. No RB has ever seen that in the NFL.

I don't think any party is being unreasonable in this process. CJ is looking for some more cash. Idzik is looking for a bargain. Both not that far off.

If CJ can find more money somewhere else then do you really blame him? Wouldn't anyone here do the same if it was them ?

And Idzik is looking for the best of the organization going forward but it's obvious he's very interested in this piece to his puzzle.

The fact he hasn't signed yet or the fact we think Idzik is being Idzik and low balling really has no backing at this point. Both parties are just being smart on their end so far.

I actually agree with you. You know what they say, it wouldn't be a compromise if both sides didn't feel like they were getting ****ed.

We paid a 4th round pick and gave him $10 mil (hence $4 mil in incentives) for a RB that only played 12 games out of 32 in the previous two seasons. Mike Goodson got over the minimum after playing in 18 games over 3 years or 48 games. Also your looking at the figure he restructure to a couple months ago and not what he was originally sign to.

If Ivory makes $10mil in 3 years, it'll mean he achieved all his incentives. Whats the issue then? And Mike Goodson was a low risk, high reward type signing. If he can stay on the field, he's a poor man's CJ1k with much fewer negative plays.

Goodson killed the Jets cap last year with his blockbuster 3 year deal worth $6.9 mil

Ivory outdid the Jets n the entire NFL by forging his way to a 3 yr $6mil deal. No RB has ever seen that in the NFL.

Im sure you didn't read the post above you nor aware Ivory got paid more then Goodson.

If Ivory makes $10mil in 3 years, it'll mean he achieved all his incentives. Whats the issue then? And Mike Goodson was a low risk, high reward type signing. If he can stay on the field, he's a poor man's CJ1k with much fewer negative plays.

What is your point? Since we overpaid for these two I don't see the reason why Chris Johnson contract as you said "would kill the Jets cap". You give up a 4th round pick and give out $10 mil to Ivory along with pay Goodson an average of $2.3 mil per why the hell can't we sign Chris Johnson for $5 mil with $28 mil in cap space. Don't get where some are going with this.

You make it seem like it doesn't count. The man had legal trouble and played in only 2 games. Goes to show that Idzik will restructure when its called for. 

As for Ivory, he played in 15 games for the Jets and his numbers at the minimum was more than worthy of the salary he received. 

I think that if the Jets land CJ, he'll be the team's starting RB. It will still be a committee - of maybe more of platoon between him and Ivory with Powell the odd man out - but CJ will be the lead back in a reduced role from what he had in Tennessee. He can talk about being a 1000 yard back, but the Jets would be more interested in him for his versatility. I'd think the Jets would be looking to balance the carries between Ivory and CJ, or maybe even look to give Ivory more.

So do you pay CJ $5M a year for that? I don't. Sure, he's still relatively young, can give you 40-50 catches a year, and still has very good -if not elite- speed. But conversely, his ego may bristle as a reduced role, his attitude has been questioned, and he has a lot of mileage on his relatively young body.

Signing CJ probably all but takes RB off the board for the Jets this year, but with 9 picks on the last day, they'll probably be in a position to come away with a good third down type back - which is really all they need. Unless Idzik/Mornhinweg are as underwhelmed as I am with Ivory in the starting role. That's a possibility.

You don't think giving him $2.3 per year last season was over paying? I would hope you conclude yes for a guy who only played 18 out of 48 games the past 3 season prior.

I don't think a 3 year $7 million for Goodson is overpay at all. I think for what we expected him to bring to the table was just right. 

I don't think a 3 year $7 million for Goodson is overpay at all. I think for what we expected him to bring to the table was just right. 

If he didn't get arrested for marijuana and hollow point bullets on felony charges, and tear his ACL and MCL it might have been worth it, but he has too much baggage. cut him, save the cap, and don't look back. draft a later round prospect, maybe a Storm Johnson from UCF.

If he didn't get arrested for marijuana and hollow point bullets on felony charges, and tear his ACL and MCL it might have been worth it, but he has too much baggage. cut him, save the cap, and don't look back. draft a later round prospect, maybe a Storm Johnson from UCF.

I agree and thats my point. Its only "overpay" because he had legal issues and tore up his knee playing for "us". Now all of a sudden Idzik overpaid? Gotta love the power of hindsight. lol.

when the deal was made we knew that Idzik was making low risk/high reward moves, just like he did with the trade of Ivory, like the pickup of Colon etc. 

I'd keep Powell over Goodson, cut Goodson, save 750k, and draft a late round RB prospect with a 6th round comp.

When I call Powell the potential odd man out, I mean it in terms of touches, not a roster spot.

You cut Goodson if his knee or legal troubles are going to limit him on the field. The cap savings (which I'm pretty sure is less than $500k after his restructure) are completely inconsequential. If he can be the player the Jets thought they were originally signing, he's worth keeping.

You make it seem like it doesn't count. The man had legal trouble and played in only 2 games. Goes to show that Idzik will restructure when its called for. 

As for Ivory, he played in 15 games for the Jets and his numbers at the minimum was more than worthy of the salary he received.

What do you mean I make it seems as if it doesn't count as that far from my point? I'm referring to the initially contract he gave to Goodson. He gave him $2.3 mil after playing $18 out of 48 games and not accomplishing much during those games. That's overpaying. When it time to give a RB like Johnson a contract why are we trying to give him $3 mil for a guy who played 48 games out of 48 games with an impressive resume along with still having the home run potiential? If you initially had no problem overpaying for Goodson at a time we were cash strapped why are we so iffy overpaying for Chris Johnson at a time we have tons of cap space? Answer that for me as it makes zero sense on Idzik's part.

As for Chris Ivory, yes he play 15 games LAST SEASON, but last season didn't get him the contract he currently playing under. He hardly played playing in 12 games out of 32, yet he cost a 4th round pick and $ome.

What did we expect him to bring to the table after consistent years of being injury prone and unproductive? Also going back to my initial post how can you give up that value to both Ivory and Goodson in a cap straps year but want to be cheap with In offering Johnson $3 mil? How can you justify that?

Tough to compare Decker and Johnson. Decker is ascending player that was an absolute need for the team. Johnson is a player that is on the decline and is likely more of a luxury for the team as we have capable running backs.

I agree with you that this is playing out like Vick. Vick like Johnson is a player that is past his best years. And Vick first rejected our offer, then came crawling back. With a limited amount of teams in the market for a running back I wouldn't be surprised if he comes crawling back like Vick did in a week.

It's similar in that, had Decker ultimately signed elsewhere for $9-10M/yr (as was the pre-FA estimate in late Feb - early March), and we only offered up $7M per with less "guaranteed" than there was in Austin Howard's contract, it would have been looked at differently.  Those same people who said we overpaid for him would have said we didn't know the market and everyone knew he was going to get 40-50% more per season than Idzik's top offer.  

People wanted Decker signed, like they wanted DRC or other signed.  Then you see the price tag in March, and that there are loads of WRs and CBs in a draft 6 weeks later.  Plus Revis is the only one available who has been noticeably above average every year (when he was healthy).  And his price tag, particularly if one was to lock him up for >1 season, is/was ridiculous for a corner.

I liken those things to CJ.  He has a certain value to us.  He may have a different value to someone else.  Above a certain $ for that position being filled, you have to be able to walk away.  We need someone who can catch out of the backfield, with the speed that can turn an otherwise modest gain into a long TD, and who can carry the whole load here or there as needed in case Ivory is too banged up.  That is a different need than someone who wants him to be a 300+ touch RB.

Archived