why Jets should consider Desean Jackson

joebabyny

I think it's possible to improve the talent around Geno AND not sign Jackson.

It was possible for Idzik to improve it last year, but he didn't. We had people plucked from the dolphins practice squad starting for us.

My point is, if you want to truly evaluate whether Geno is a qb worth building a franchise around, you can easily and cheaply pick up to WR with the talent to let you test that out and see what Geno has. Desean Jackson has proven with a young inexperienced qb he can still thrive. Decker has proven with another top shelf wr opposite him he can thrive. We all know Kerley is a perfectly fine #3 with great hands. We DON'T know if Geno is worth a s##t. We can find that out by at worst renting Jackson for a few games. At best, he isn't so bad or he turns the corner in his maturity after being publicly shamed as he has. Even if we go and trade up and draft the best wr in the draft, and end up with another lackluster season of offensive production, we will be in the same boat.

It was possible for Idzik to improve it last year, but he didn't. We had people plucked from the dolphins practice squad starting for us.

My point is, if you want to truly evaluate whether Geno is a qb worth building a franchise around, you can easily and cheaply pick up to WR with the talent to let you test that out and see what Geno has. Desean Jackson has proven with a young inexperienced qb he can still thrive. Decker has proven with another top shelf wr opposite him he can thrive. We all know Kerley is a perfectly fine #3 with great hands. We DON'T know if Geno is worth a s##t. We can find that out by at worst renting Jackson for a few games. At best, he isn't so bad or he turns the corner in his maturity after being publicly shamed as he has. Even if we go and trade up and draft the best wr in the draft, and end up with another lackluster season of offensive production, we will be in the same boat.

joebabyny understands football the NFL New York Jets and what it takes to be a winner!

2) Unless you think Jackson makes us a super bowl contender, which you might, but that would be really dumb, then immediate impact isn't want is most important.

Well, being a SB contender was not the premise of my post explaining why we should sign DS.

Right, but it is still a crap shoot. My premise is you do it more to find out who Geno is than just to pick up a good wr. Desean is a known commodity on the field, and has done it with an inexperienced qb. Obviously you can't say that about anyone in the draft.

It is a crap shoot.  But, that doesn't mean you need to take a guy who was just cut from another team for a number of reasons and take a risk on him.  It's not just the talent around Geno that was his problem.  I remember one throw last year where Nelson ran a perfect out, had separation, and Geno just overthrew what would have been a TD.  Same argument as I've made with Sanchez... He would have had better stats with better WRs, but he was a bad QB  either way, because his WRs did get open, and when they did, he missed them.  It's not like he was a superstar sometimes and then being held back.  Same with Geno very often last year.

Work to improve the position organically, and lets see what happens with Geno.

It is a crap shoot.  But, that doesn't mean you need to take a guy who was just cut from another team for a number of reasons and take a risk on him.  It's not just the talent around Geno that was his problem.  I remember one throw last year where Nelson ran a perfect out, had separation, and Geno just overthrew what would have been a TD.  Same argument as I've made with Sanchez... He would have had better stats with better WRs, but he was a bad QB  either way, because his WRs did get open, and when they did, he missed them.  It's not like he was a superstar sometimes and then being held back.  Same with Geno very often last year.

Work to improve the position organically, and lets see what happens with Geno.

DeSean Jackson is coming off a career year unlike say a Kenny Britt. Risk and reward is the name of the game with many NFL players.

The Jets have to provide Geno Smith with weapons for him and the team to succeed.

Whats your opinion I value an opinion from a RutgersJetfan.

I'm not sure. The draft hasn't happened yet. At the very least we have a billion different directions that the team can go and it's very likely that the team will be significantly better due to the volume of picks that we have in what is one of the deepest drafts in history.

MIssing meetings and bitching to or about the QB can be just as damaging as lack of talent.  Remember 2011?

If the Jets sign Jackson would he instantly be the best player on the team?   

not a bad proposition, especially at a position of need.  

We pick at 18 all the superstar playmaker immediate impact WRs will be long gone.

Im still in awe of how stacked we are at WR.

"We pick at 36 in the second round, all the superstar playmaker immediate impact WRs will be long gone" - JoeWilly during 2008 draft.

After we trade up to 30 for Keller, Jordy Nelson and Desean Jackson were selected.

How good were the Eagles with this monster talent?

seriously?  

they were #2 offense in the NFL in yards per game and #4 offense in pts / game

as a reference - the NYJ were 25th in yards, and 29th in pts/game.  

as an FYI - there are 32 teams in the NFL.  

seriously?

they were #2 offense in the NFL in yards per game and #4 offense in pts / game

as a reference - the NYJ were 25th in yards, and 29th in pts/game.

as an FYI - there are 32 teams in the NFL.

They lost in the 1st round of the playoffs. They got there not because of Jackson but because of their QB who played out of his mind. Jackson was so valuable to their success they cut him.

They lost in the 1st round of the playoffs. They got there not because of Jackson but because of their QB who played out of his mind. Jackson was so valuable to their success they cut him.

maybe because they had the 29th ranked defense in the NFL and gave up over 400 yds in the playoffs?   

you give Rex a top 10 offense and he probably wins the super bowl.    Jackson would be the best player on offense and probably the best player on the team.   As long as he doesn't kill someone while he's a Jet I say sign him for 2 years, don't guarantee any money past year 1.  

The bottom line I feel is you need a good QB - he elevates the players. If your QB is crap or average I don't care how good your receivers are you are not going to exploit their talent. You can argue chicken vs egg but that's what I believe. And you nailed it on the head - their defense wasn't so good - why is that - maybe too much $$ on the offense. There is a point of diminishing returns and maybe the Jets can come up with a competent above average offense and reach for an elite defense.

The bottom line I feel is you need a good QB - he elevates the players. If your QB is crap or average I don't care how good your receivers are you are not going to exploit their talent. You can argue chicken vs egg but that's what I believe. And you nailed it on the head - their defense wasn't so good - why is that - maybe too much $$ on the offense. There is a point of diminishing returns and maybe the Jets can come up with a competent above average offense and reach for an elite defense.

McCoy drafted by Eagles

Jackson same

Cooper same

Maclin same

Foles same

Celek same

Ertz same

Kelce same

Herremans same

All Pro Tackle makes 9.5 million - Too much?

Archived