Future bright at TE -- Cimini

Greenseed4

At the start of the offseason, the New York Jets' tight-end depth chart consisted of two not-so-household names -- Zach Sudfeld and Chris Pantale. With two significant moves, they fortified the position, re-signing Jeff Cumberland (three years, $5.7 million) and drafting Jace Amaro in the second round. 

"We’re deep and talented at the tight end spot," offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said last week. "That’s going to be an impressive position for the New York Jets for years to come." 

[+] Enlargenfl_a_jace-amaro_mb_300x200.jpg
AP Photo/Julie JacobsonJace Amaro has struggled with his route running and making the transition from his college offense.
That's assuming Amaro develops into a stud. He has a long way to go. 

As we noted on the night of the draft, this won't be an easy transition for Amaro, who came from a system at Texas Tech that's dramatically different than the one he's trying to master with the Jets. Amaro described the Tech offense as "simple," -- a no-huddle, spread attack that doesn't have a high volume of plays. Using a math analogy, it was on the level of addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. The Jets are using calculus. 

Which explains why Amaro struggled in last week's minicamp. He got some work with the first team, mostly in the three-receiver package, but he looked lost at times. Simply put, he needs to clean up all aspects of his game. 

Mornhinweg said Amaro, a pass-catching machine in college, needs to make a "host" of adjustments to get comfortable in a pro-style system. The Jets' version of the West Coast offense is predicated on timing and precision, and Amaro's routes were sloppy. If a pass receiver is off by a step or two, it throws the entire play out of sync. Specifically, he has to polish the top of his routes. Because he didn't play much traditional tight end at Tech, he also needs a refresher course on the in-line position, mostly with footwork and releases. 

This has to be a humbling process for Amaro, who boasted on the first day of rookie camp that his goal is to become the next Tony Gonzalez. A tap on the brakes is in order.

With Cumberland as the in-line option, and the rookie learning curve for TE's, I can see Amaro taking a year or two to really benefit this offense. 

Jeff Cumberland is going to see the field a lot this season, and he's going to be a stud.  

With Cumberland as the in-line option, and the rookie learning curve for TE's, I can see Amaro taking a year or two to really benefit this offense. 

Jeff Cumberland is going to see the field a lot this season, and he's going to be a stud.  

IF he can manage to stay healthy, he hasn't been too adept at that little part of the pro game.

Can always count on Cimini.  The moment I saw his name I knew that, despite the title of the article, it would be far more negative than positive.  After one sentence of acknowledging the benefit of re-signing Cumberland and drafting Amaro, it's 5 paragraphs of saying as much negative as possible about Amaro despite the guy not having played a single snap.  Cimini is such a enormous douche.

Can always count on Cimini.  The moment I saw his name I knew that, despite the title of the article, it would be far more negative than positive.  After one sentence of acknowledging the benefit of re-signing Cumberland and drafting Amaro, it's 5 paragraphs of saying as much negative as possible about Amaro despite the guy not having played a single snap.  Cimini is such a enormous douche.

A rookie in June has a lot to learn and needs work on his footwork. 

Shocking

I think the Cumberland deal is going to pay off well. Everything about him has checked out thus far and the combo of his skillset and experience screams of fantasy sleeper.

Fantasy Sleeper:

Remember the name Zach Sudfeld, because you might want to consider selecting him in your fantasy football draft this year.

The New England Patriots’ tight end issues have been thoroughly covered this offseason. Star tight end Rob Gronkowski is recovering from multiple offseason surgeries on his back and forearm and is currently on the active/PUP list. Aaron Hernandez was released by the team after being implicated (and later charged) in the murder of Odin Lloyd.

Though the Pats have Daniel Fells, Michael Hoomanawanui, and Jake Ballard competing at tight end, it looks like Sudfeld is pulling away from the group.

Sudfeld, an undrafted free agent out of Nevada, caught a 22-yard touchdown pass from Ryan Mallett in the second quarter of Friday’s preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He caught the pass in traffic and juggled the ball because there were two defenders around him. He also caught a 2-point conversion from Tom Brady to cap the offense’s dominant opening drive.

As if Sudfeld’s strong game on Friday wasn’t enough, reports have said he has been working mostly with the Patriots’ first-team offense in practice. The Boston Globe’s Ben Volin said it was hard not to write about Sudfeld every day because of what the tight end has been doing.

Sudfeld caught 45 passes for 698 yards and two touchdowns last season at Nevada. He was injured for most of his college career.

With Gronk looking like he might miss the beginning of the season, Sudfeld could be in for a lot of action and red-zone looks. If he continues to impress, he’ll likely stick and continue to see action a la Hernandez even when Gronk returns.

http://larrybrownsports.com/fantasy/zach-sudfeld-tight-end-sleeper/200907

One thing about the Pats is that the seem to start guys and pump them up.  Often they don't work out and they either never get another chance or fall off the face of the planet.  Ras-I Dowling started for them and I remember him being highly touted and poof.  McCourty was the next big thing at corner and they had to move him to safety, etc 

Fantasy Sleeper:

http://larrybrownsports.com/fantasy/zach-sudfeld-tight-end-sleeper/200907

One thing about the Pats is that the seem to start guys and pump them up. Often they don't work out and they either never get another chance or fall off the face of the planet. Ras-I Dowling started for them and I remember him being highly touted and poof. McCourty was the next big thing at corner and they had to move him to safety, etc

I think it was PatriotReign who tried to compare him to Revis once upon a time.

Jets rookie tight end Jace Amaro: 'I know the whole playbook now'

-e79300df7d972bc9.JPG

Twenty days ago, the Jets hit the halfway point of their organized team activities. Jace Amaro, their rookie tight end, had a rough practice, as he dropped three passes. Afterward, he expressed frustration about his struggles to learn the Jets’ offense.

All along, this was going to be a challenge for Amaro, whom the Jets drafted out of Texas Tech in the second round. His college offense was an up-tempo spread system with simple play calls. The Jets’ West Coast offense is a pro-style scheme and far more complex.

Jets coach Rex Ryan maintained that Amaro just had to not think so much. Later in offseason workouts, tight ends coach Steve Hagen said he did not feel like Amaro was behind in learning the offense, and that Amaro just needed to overcome the “language barrier” of understanding the Jets’ terminology.

Moreover, Hagen said, the Jets’ coaches challenged Amaro by lining him up all over the offensive formation during OTAs.

Even when Amaro felt frustrated earlier this month, he said he understood it was just a matter of time (and practice repetitions) before he grasped the offense.

And last week, as the Jets concluded offseason workouts with a three-day minicamp, Amaro said he had indeed begun to fully understand the Jets’ system, with training camp in Cortland, N.Y., set to begin on July 23.

“Since whenever that first time I came out and didn’t have a very good day, I feel like I’ve taken some really big strides since then,” he said. “That was the first week of OTAs, and that was one of the more heavy playbook days. It was just one of those things where I knew I’m not going to be perfect out here and I’m going to make mistakes. That’s what this period of practice is for, is to get ready for training camp and make sure you’re fundamentally sound on all the playbook stuff. Right now, I feel really good about it.

“I just know the whole playbook now, and I know exactly what I need to do on every single play. It’s just a lot more relaxing out there. I can read the defense and I can see who I expect is going to guard me on a certain play. I feel a lot better about it. That’s probably the biggest thing. I know what I can do (physically) and what my game is. That’s all going to come along. The mental part about it and the playbook part about it is the biggest thing.”

Amaro said he learned the playbook through “hours and hours of looking at the plays and memorizing them. It’s just one of those things where it just takes a lot of reps and just a lot of studying.”

During offseason workouts, the Jets housed their rookies at a hotel near the team’s facility. Amaro spent about two hours every night studying his plays alone his room, “and going to bed with all of that stuff in my head,” he said. “It’s working out for me pretty well.”

While studying, Amaro kept the television off. He put on relaxing music, like Coldplay or John Mayer. He opened the playbook in front of him, placed his hand or a piece of paper over the diagram of a play, and called out the play name, as if the Jets were huddling. Then he tested his memory, by saying where he needed to line up and run (or block) on this play.

“It just took a lot of motivation,” he said.

Other times, he would sit with rookie quarterback Tajh Boyd while they ate, either at the Jets’ cafeteria or at the rookies’ hotel. Boyd would call out a play and quiz Amaro on his assignment. Amaro would try to respond as quickly as he could.

“He would just throw different plays out there,” Amaro said.

For Amaro, this was all part of building a foundation for what he believes will be a successful rookie season.

“I plan on getting it done,” he said.

The more I read about Jace Amaro, the less I expect out of him in his rookie year. It just seems like he has to learn the whole position all over again as a pro. We all knew he'd have to learn how to block on this level, but now we find out he needs to learn how to run routes, too. He has to read the coverage?

I just think it's gonna be a slow start, with incompletions thrown his direction that are blamed on Geno, but entirely Amaro's fault.

The more I read about Jace Amaro, the less I expect out of him in his rookie year. It just seems like he has to learn the whole position all over again as a pro. We all knew he'd have to learn how to block on this level, but now we find out he needs to learn how to run routes, too. He has to read the coverage?

I just think it's gonna be a slow start, with incompletions thrown his direction that are blamed on Geno, but entirely Amaro's fault.

I expect him to be similar to, but better, than Nelson was in 2013.  I agree with your analysis, but think Geno may like finding him as an outlet and I expect more designed plays and TE screens which should provide some additional production.

Archived