Lupica: The De-Rexing of Rex Ryan

AFJF

Not sure where you got this from, but I work with a guy who was drafted by and played for Parcells while in Dallas.

We've had these conversations and If you're werent on Parcells good side, he would pick on you, embarrass you daily in front of the entire team and treat you like absolute dog sh*t. He would not treat you with any respect at all He said most of the time if he wasnt ridiculing you for the entire team to see, you were just outright ignored. If you were a Parcells guy, he'd have your back and you could get away with murder. So, take it fwiw, but that was from someone who was drafted and played for Parcells and he claims, at least during his time in Dallas, many players hated him because he was such an a$$hole.

Safe to assume that this was one of the players that Parcells hated, which explains why he ended up in a Jacksonville temp agency talking to you, which I imagine is where people go about a week prior to ending up trolling rest areas on US1 offering blowjobs to long-haul truckers for $5 a pop.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Safe to assume that this was one of the players that Parcells hated, which explains why he ended up in a Jacksonville temp agency talking to you, which I imagine is where people go about a week prior to ending up trolling rest areas on US1 offering blowjobs to long-haul truckers for $5 a pop.

Yeah, you "imagine" that.

Not sure where you got this from, but I work with a guy who was drafted by and played for Parcells while in Dallas. 

We've had these conversations and If you're werent on Parcells good side, he would pick on you, embarrass you daily in front of the entire team and treat you like absolute dog sh*t.  He would not treat you with any respect at all  He said most of the time if he wasnt ridiculing you for the entire team to see, you were just outright ignored.  If you were a Parcells guy, he'd have your back and you could get away with murder.  So, take it fwiw, but that was from someone who was drafted and played for Parcells and he claims, at least during his time in Dallas, many players hated him because he was such an a$$hole.

You will always have outliers that could not conform, live up to expectations that then feel ostracized. Players that probably harmed the concept of team, or worked to the detriment of that.

How many former players come out publicly to say how much that Parcells meant to them as a player and a man? Many.

We've had these conversations and If you're werent on Parcells good side, he would pick on you, embarrass you daily in front of the entire team and treat you like absolute dog sh*t.  He would not treat you with any respect at all  He said most of the time if he wasnt ridiculing you for the entire team to see, you were just outright ignored.  If you were a Parcells guy, he'd have your back and you could get away with murder.  So, take it fwiw, but that was from someone who was drafted and played for Parcells and he claims, at least during his time in Dallas, many players hated him because he was such an a$$hole.

Parcells treated Curtis Martin like a dog when he first came up. Called him "Boy Wonder" with sarcasm, made him work harder and not just off the his reputation.

The ideas was not to have CM like him, but to get out of him the player he could be. Not everyone can handle that, nor likes it. "Pressure busts pipes" Parcells was fond of saying. He wanted to see what players would crack. That is when he knew he could go to war with you.

It WAS NOT about being "liked" It was preparing players for big spots.

I would suggest your friend never made it any further in football???? There may be a reason for that. But he will tell it like "Parcells is an a$$hole". Some still never get it later in life.

Nope, Parcells loved him because he was from FSU, where Parcells coached in the 70's.  Very successful guy.  Made big great money for 4 years in the NFL and makes a very good living here. 

You will always have outliers that could not conform, live up to expectations that then feel ostracized. Players that probably harmed the concept of team, or worked to the detriment of that.

How many former players come out publicly to say how much that Parcells meant to them as a player and a man? Many.

Parcells treated Curtis Martin like a dog when he first came up. Called him "Boy Wonder" with sarcasm, made him work harder and not just off the his reputation.

The ideas was not to have CM like him, but to get out of him the player he could be. Not everyone can handle that, nor likes it. "Pressure busts pipes" Parcells was fond of saying. He wanted to see what players would crack. That is when he knew he could go to war with you.

It WAS NOT about being "liked" It was preparing players for big spots.

I would suggest your friend never made it any further in football???? There may be a reason for that. But he will tell it like "Parcells is an a$$hole". Some still never get it later in life.

He played 4 years in the league, 3 under Parcells, 1 under Holmgren.  He said Parcells loved him so they were cool and got along well.  It was others who hated him and there were many in the lockerroom who did.  

I was just responding to you saying that "saying that players hated him is plain wrong".  Dont care either way.  Just sharing some inside perspective on someone who played for him.  

FWIW, he said Holmgren barely even talked to the team and never even tried to develop a relationship with his players.  The most hands off, soft spoken coach he ever played for.  Very different styles from 2 coaches who took 2 different teams to a Super Bowl.

It is not about "liking" or "hating" a coach. It is about respect.

Rex should learn this too.

It's hard to respect someone you hate. Can't imagine it's easy to give it your all for someone you hate either. Granted, their are circumstances and you'd think playing for a Parcells would be just that. Like I said, not really arguing just passing on a conversation I had.

The #1 people quit or don't try or don't like their job is because of the relationship with the person they report to.

I agree with your overall premise, though. It's about respect. Thing is, I think Rex gets a lot of it. Fans that don't like him want to act like he doesn't and that's just not true. Just because he's a "players coach" doesn't mean he's not respected.

YlE2U.gif

The problem in a nutshell is perfectly described by this 6-game stretch:

We have Geno Smith.

They have Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler, Matt Stafford, Phillip Rivers, Peyton Manning & Tom Brady.

While we have no shortage of problems (D-backfield primary amongst them), the simple fact is we'll always go 0-6 (or at best 2-4)when we throw Geno Smith-like QB's against REAL franhcise QB's.

At the most vital position on the field in modern NFL Football, we simply cannot compete, and consistently are amongst the worst in the league.

Everything else is details at that point. No QB, No Success.

It's that simple.

Not too shabby. Yeah. 

The notion that players hated Parcells is absolutely wrong. He stood up for his players to SR management, and made sure they were treated with respect. He DID make them accountable. He DID have expectations for them. He also treated them like men.

To say players hated Parcells is just, plain wrong. Unless you weren't doing your job.

Players hated parcels until they became "his guys" and then every time he left a city a conga line followed.

JiF knows a guy! DRINK!

Archived