We Need to Spend Big $ For a New Head Coach

Jet27

As much as I'd like to agree with u there, Brady has been one of the best QBs in the NFL, if not the best since Spygate (as well). Yeah, no SB wins, but neither does Manning since 2006-07 season. That doesn't mean Manning isn't elite. 

Of course he is. If anyone with natural ability was given the opportunity that Brady was - the amazing ability to know what defense he was facing on 50-60% of all live snaps the first six years of his career, you're gonna get pretty good. 

He's been good since they forcibly removed the training wheels. :hand: I guess that counts for something. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course he is. If anyone with natural ability was given the opportunity that Brady was - the amazing ability to know what defense he was facing on 50-60% of all live snaps the first six years of his career, you're gonna get pretty good. 

He's been good since they forcibly removed the training wheels. :hand: I guess that counts for something. 

Spygate came out in the first wk of the 2007 season. Brady threw for 50 TDs that year. You'd imagine if Brady was playing at an elite level only due to the spying, his play would have dropped off at least somewhat. Instead, he had his best year as a pro that year and should have had a 4th ring if it wasn't for David Tyree's miraculous catch (his last of his short career). 

Maybe spying helped Brady in the first few years. The only difference that made in his career was that he didn't play like a rookie QB or didn't have growing pains (mostly due to his own talent though).

Spygate came out in the first wk of the 2007 season. Brady threw for 50 TDs that year. You'd imagine if Brady was playing at an elite level only due to the spying, his play would have dropped off at least somewhat. Instead, he had his best year as a pro that year and should have had a 4th ring if it wasn't for David Tyree's miraculous catch (his last of his short career). 

Maybe spying helped Brady in the first few years. The only difference that made in his career was that he didn't play like a rookie QB or didn't have growing pains (mostly due to his own talent though).

He also suddenly had arguably the most physically gifted receiver of all time in 2007. Think that might have something to do with it? Brady wasn't actually playing at that elite level prior to getting caught. He also didn't have Randy Moss. 

The big difference is prior to getting caught the Patriots had an uncanny knack of making the perfect halftime adjustments almost every week. Late in games, with the game on the line, Charlie Weis seemed to have a preternatural ability to call the right play and Brady amazingly always made the right decision. So much so that it almost seemed like a set up. 

I would love to see a statistical breakdown of Brady's performance by quarter from 2001 to 2006. I would be willing to bet that his passer rating was consistently 15-20 points higher in the fourth quarter which is statistically impossible without cheating. 

somewhat off topic -

I don't understand why Jeff Fisher gets so much coaching love. Everyone seems to just assume he is this great coach when his record is nowhere near his reputation.

He's still living off of those Steve McNair/Eddie George years in Tennessee.

He also suddenly had arguably the most physically gifted receiver of all time in 2007. Think that might have something to do with it? Brady wasn't actually playing at that elite level prior to getting caught. He also didn't have Randy Moss. 

The big difference is prior to getting caught the Patriots had an uncanny knack of making the perfect halftime adjustments almost every week. Late in games, with the game on the line, Charlie Weis seemed to have a preternatural ability to call the right play and Brady amazingly always made the right decision. So much so that it almost seemed like a set up. 

I would love to see a statistical breakdown of Brady's performance by quarter from 2001 to 2006. I would be willing to bet that his passer rating was consistently 15-20 points higher in the fourth quarter which is statistically impossible without cheating. 

Randy Moss had 1500+ yards and 11 TDs the TWO years before being traded to the Patriots. He had 1493 yards and 23 TDs with Brady. Im not going to disagree with about Randy being "the most physically gifted receiver of all time", but his play had declined for three years before being united with Brady. It was a perfect match. Manning had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and neither one of them should take any credit away from the other. 

And you're correct about Brady having the perfect plays in clutch times. 

Randy Moss had 1500+ yards and 11 TDs the TWO years before being traded to the Patriots. He had 1493 yards and 23 TDs with Brady. Im not going to disagree with about Randy being "the most physically gifted receiver of all time", but his play had declined for three years before being united with Brady. It was a perfect match. Manning had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne and neither one of them should take any credit away from the other. 

And you're correct about Brady having the perfect plays in clutch times. 

Randy Moss had arguably the best year of his career - 111 catches, 1632 yards, 17 TDs with Duante friggin' Culpepper throwing him the football. And I don't know about his play really declining seeing as he was playing for the most inept franchise in football those two years. His 60-catch, 1005-yard, 8-TD performance for a 4-12 Raider team with Kerry Collins throwing to him was pretty friggin' impressive. 

What about Cutcliffe from Duke? Knows QB's...Duke is somehow not terrible at football anymore. They score points....I dont know much about him, but it seems like he's well respected.

I dont see him leaving the college ranks.  He's been there his whole career and from what I've heard, isnt a big fan of the NFL game.  I think he really enjoys working with kids and the entire recruiting process.

I'm hoping the Gators can steal him.  Last time we took a Head Coach from Duke very good things happened. 

Randy Moss had arguably the best year of his career - 111 catches, 1632 yards, 17 TDs with Duante friggin' Culpepper throwing him the football. And I don't know about his play really declining seeing as he was playing for the most inept franchise in football those two years. His 60-catch, 1005-yard, 8-TD performance for a 4-12 Raider team with Kerry Collins throwing to him was pretty friggin' impressive. 

So as long as Randy had pro bowl QBs throwing him the ball, he was fine. Again, not debating Moss and his talent. Simply saying without Brady or Culpepper (pre injury), Randy wasn't as great. 

This is deviating from my original point that Brady has been one of the best QBs since Spygate and I doubt I change my mind on that. 

what's wrong with Gus Malzahn? 

Not a huge fan of that offense as it relates to the NFL.  He runs the ball over twice as much as they pass.  And his pass plays are all created off deception.  Not sure he knows how to coach a pocket passer, he never has before and I dont see how he's going to adjust that offense to the NFL. His teams dont play defense, he cant stop anyone, every game is a shootout nail bitter. 

I think last year was one of the luckiest runs I've ever seen.  It was an incredible turnaround, but he literally won the 2 biggest games of the year on the craziest plays I've ever seen.  Hail Mary tip TD vs. Georgia and the FG return vs. Bama.  sh*t was insane.  And then, they won the other night on some crazy bull sh*t with a dude literally walking in for the score, breaks his leg and fumbles an inch from the endzone. 

Very curious to see how they finish the year.  vs. A&M, @ Georgia, vs Samford @ Bama. 

Right now, I dont see it.  He's got gimmicky offense that would never translate to the NFL and his teams dont play defense, like at all.  

Not a huge fan of that offense as it relates to the NFL.  He runs the ball over twice as much as they pass.  And his pass plays are all created off deception.  Not sure he knows how to coach a pocket passer, he never has before and I dont see how he's going to adjust that offense to the NFL. His teams dont play defense, he cant stop anyone, every game is a shootout nail bitter. 

I think last year was one of the luckiest runs I've ever seen.  It was an incredible turnaround, but he literally won the 2 biggest games of the year on the craziest plays I've ever seen.  Hail Mary tip TD vs. Georgia and the FG return vs. Bama.  sh*t was insane.  And then, they won the other night on some crazy bull sh*t with a dude literally walking in for the score, breaks his leg and fumbles an inch from the endzone. 

Very curious to see how they finish the year.  vs. A&M, @ Georgia, vs Samford @ Bama. 

Right now, I dont see it.  He's got gimmicky offense that would never translate to the NFL and his teams dont play defense, like at all.  

I feel like you could've written this about Chip Kelly a couple years back, and he looks pretty damn good to me so far.

I feel like you could've written this about Chip Kelly a couple years back, and he looks pretty damn good to me so far.

Interestingly little fact about the genius coach that is Chip Kelly.  Did you know, he's only beaten 2 teams in the NFL with a winning record? One victory was vs a Rodgers-less Packers team last year and this year they beat the Colts when they started out 0-2.  Found that ironic, considering all the accolades he gets

That said, they threw the ball a sh*t ton more at Oregon under Kelly than Auburn does under Malzhan.  Marhsall had 14 passing TD's all of last year. Mariota had 32 during Kelly's final season.

Hire Gary Kubiak and draft Gurley.

Goddamn, How many times do I have to tell you people!!!!!

I really couldn't care less. All I want is a HC with NFL HC experience (can i get some help w names here??-schiano, gruden, who else?) and I want a major shakeup in the personnel dept.

How bout some HCs on the hot seat? Trestman?

I really couldn't care less. All I want is a HC with NFL HC experience (can i get some help w names here??-schiano, gruden, who else?) and I want a major shakeup in the personnel dept.

Rivera?

Rumor is Cowher is waiting for the Giants job.

1 NFC so he wouldn't have to directly compete with Pitt.

2 Stable ownership like the Rooney family.

3 Storied franchise like the Steelers.

That makes a lot of sense although I can't see him worry about not competing with Pitt. 

Seriously? I'd much rather have Vernon Gholston be our HC than Schiano, and I'd much rather puke than to see Ghoston in the Jets building. 

Seriously? I'd much rather have Vernon Gholston be our HC than Schiano, and I'd much rather puke than to see Ghoston in the Jets building.

Yeah..I hear ya...I just read an article on him so he was on my mind as HC experience. Probably wouldn't be a great hire, but something about him I like.

I'm all in on hiring Kubiak and drafting Gurley

Spend big.....on who?

If this is a stealth "we must get Gruden or Cowher" thread......just stop.  They're not coming back, as at this point so far removed from their days working, we don't want them back.

There is no "spend big" Coach out there and available as far as I know. 

What we need is a real Head Coach candidate, not a glorified D-Co Rah Rah guy.  A Brain, a class act, a disciplinarian who can run a tight well-organized, responsibility-focused ship.

I have no idea who that is myself, but it's not a "big spending" name H.C.

Ah you mean like the guy who was here before Rex ?

Interestingly little fact about the genius coach that is Chip Kelly.  Did you know, he's only beaten 2 teams in the NFL with a winning record? One victory was vs a Rodgers-less Packers team last year and this year they beat the Colts when they started out 0-2.  Found that ironic, considering all the accolades he gets

That said, they threw the ball a sh*t ton more at Oregon under Kelly than Auburn does under Malzhan.  Marhsall had 14 passing TD's all of last year. Mariota had 32 during Kelly's final season.

That's a very misleading stat .... Most division games are tough games no matter who happens to be good at the current time and every NFL game is a tough game ...If he's beating the teams he's supposed to be beating then once again this stat is meaningless.

No, he sucked. 

He certainly was not a good X's and O;s guy but he knew how to build a team with good character, create depth on both lines and keep the team in line. Sometimes the HC has to actually manage the team not let them turn into the mess we currently witness on the field. How would Mangini have faired with Rex as the DC and Kubiak or Turner as the OC ? Or anyone other than sh*ttyheimer for that matter  

He certainly was not a good X's and O;s guy but he knew how to build a team with good character, create depth on both lines and keep the team in line. Sometimes the HC has to actually manage the team not let them turn into the mess we currently witness on the field. How would Mangini have faired with Rex as the DC and Kubiak or Turner as the OC ? Or anyone other than sh*ttyheimer for that matter  

Mangini was horrid. One of the very worst coaches in Jets' history, which -obviously- is saying something. The team quit on him two years in a row. He went 4-12 with that awesome collection of talent that apparently only he was capable of amassing, and only started to win with that band of winners once he went all in with Brett Favre. Of course, Favre came down with a mystery injury, and the team closed out 1-4, in true Mangini fashion, as a result. Guy was crap. 

Rex won with that 5-16 roster for the ages with Mark Sanchez at QB. 

Mangini was terrible, and those assistants were his hires - unlike Rex who's really the guy who got saddled with Schottenheimer. 

We should give big bucks to Bill Parcells and let him work in a Director of Football Ops position. You wouldn't really be paying him to assert control over the organization, you'd be paying him to remove Woody Johnson as the face of the organization.

www.crowdfunder.com

We can dream.

But seriously...Woody can't find anyone else besides Parcells? Woody's a dope...he hires dopes and we get a dopey franchise. It's really come to fruition the past few years under Rex running the football op. But let's all be clear...the problem with the New York Jets is Woody Johnson. There's nothing that would indicate he has any leadership or management skills whatsoever...and obviously none that relate to football.

why would Woody buy out Rex's last year for 3 mil and then pay someone 6, 7, 8 or more per year to get a "real" HC. It's way easier to pocket that money. LIke he did with this year's payroll.  Let's be honest he doesn't have any connections to find a real HC any way. He couldn't spend that money if he wanted to. Which he doesn't. 

Archived