Where's all this Dan Quinn talk coming from?

IPBanBadPosters

So I was watching a couple of the SNY sports talk shows (Daily News Live, Loudmouths) tonight and both made mention of Quinn being Idzik's guy if/when Rex is fired. What I want to know is, when did this happen? Did I miss something? I was always under the impression that if anyone from Seattle's staff was Idzik's guy, it was their OC Bevell.

All I know is if we're in a position to draft a franchise QB like Mariota, I sure as hell don't want him being developed by yet ANOTHER defensive coach.

Probably just speculation, but I can see the connection.

1. The Jets have hired defensive coaches for the past two decades (which makes all the sense to hire an offensive guy).

2. He's Jersey raised (Morristown).

3. He was our DL coach from 2007-2008. 

Honestly I don't really want either. I think Hue Jackson would be our best hire. 

I'm not saying that Quinn can't coach defense, or even that he'd be a bad head coach. But with all the offensive woes this team has endured during the Rex Ryan era, not least of which is the inability to develop a QB, why on Earth you'd go with yet another guy from the defensive side of the ball just defies all logic to me.

I just hope this is baseless speculation on the part of the NY tabloid writers. While I'm all in for either Jim Harbaugh or David Shaw, I could at least accept the idea of an offensive guy like Bevell attempting to groom our next QB. Going from Rex to another DC would just disgust me.

How a unit performs isnt necessarily an indication of how well of a HC someone is going to be imo...Pete Carroll's a better HC than he was coordinator. Where either Harbaugh's ever even a coordinator? Bevell looks to be a great offensive mind but is he qualified to be a HC? 

Rex is a coordinator. 

Managing the team(both defense and offense!), instilling discipline, rules, organization, motivation etc..all are requirements. 

So I was watching a couple of the SNY sports talk shows (Daily News Live, Loudmouths) tonight and both made mention of Quinn being Idzik's guy if/when Rex is fired. What I want to know is, when did this happen? Did I miss something? I was always under the impression that if anyone from Seattle's staff was Idzik's guy, it was their OC Bevell.

All I know is if we're in a position to draft a franchise QB like Mariota, I sure as hell don't want him being developed by yet ANOTHER defensive coach.

Gary Myers mentioned him last year. Mentioned him again recently.

How a unit performs isnt necessarily an indication of how well of a HC someone is going to be imo...Pete Carroll's a better HC than he was coordinator. Where either Harbaugh's ever even a coordinator? Bevell looks to be a great offensive mind but is he qualified to be a HC?

Rex is a coordinator.

Managing the team(both defense and offense!), instilling discipline, rules, organization, motivation etc..all are requirements.

Sorry. Have to disagree. Pete Carroll was an excellent D Coord. He was an avg HC until going to USC & then Seattle.

Is Bruce Coslett the last Offensive guy we've hired as HC?  What was Kotite known for (other than being a terrible coach)?

Kotite was the OC for the Jets and for Buddy Ryan's Eagles. Maybe that's why we've been so hesitant to hire another offensive coach since then...

It's a nice read, and I don't doubt that he'd be a more complete HC than Wrecks, but it doesn't change the fact that the last thing I want to hire after 6 years of putrid offensive football is another DC.

Besides, was there any real difference in Seattle's defense between when Gus Bradley was running it and with Quinn running it now?

Kotite was the OC for the Jets and for Buddy Ryan's Eagles. Maybe that's why we've been so hesitant to hire another offensive coach since then...

It's a nice read, and I don't doubt that he'd be a more complete HC than Wrecks, but it doesn't change the fact that the last thing I want to hire after 6 years of putrid offensive football is another DC.

Besides, was there any real difference in Seattle's defense between when Gus Bradley was running it and with Quinn running it now?

I think in fairness Seattle did do a little better - but more important is that they didn't drop off and did win a super bowl largely on the defenses back. Quinn also did a very good job at Florida.

Just wanted to point out that the Jets defense lacks turnovers because they play a man-to-man trail technic. If Rex was a better coach and more flexible in his style they would get more turnovers. Most of you may know this just wanted to point it out.

Sorry. Have to disagree. Pete Carroll was an excellent D Coord. He was an avg HC until going to USC & then Seattle.

agree. and you could argue Pete Carroll's biggest asset these days is that Russell Wilson is the smartest player on the field 99% of the time.

I'm not saying that Quinn can't coach defense, or even that he'd be a bad head coach. But with all the offensive woes this team has endured during the Rex Ryan era, not least of which is the inability to develop a QB, why on Earth you'd go with yet another guy from the defensive side of the ball just defies all logic to me.

I just hope this is baseless speculation on the part of the NY tabloid writers. While I'm all in for either Jim Harbaugh or David Shaw, I could at least accept the idea of an offensive guy like Bevell attempting to groom our next QB. Going from Rex to another DC would just disgust me.

I don't think all defensive minded head coaches neglect the offense like Rex does.  Besides, the HC really does not do much to develop the QB.  They hire other people for that. Point is, the direction of the team has to be determined by the GM.  To do that, he needs to hire his own coach.  What I b;lame Idzik for is taking the job when conditions were attached.k  I mean. they hired MM before they hired a GM!

Tom Landry was a defensive assistant.  Lombardi was an offensive line coach.  Yet they became renowned for their genius on the opposite side of the ball.  HC coach is a motivator, a coordinator (of responsibilities) and an administrator.  He also has to know how to do a sideline during a game.  Good challenges, smart timeout calls, 11 men at a time in the game.  stuff like that.....

Tom Landry was a defensive assistant.  Lombardi was an offensive line coach.  Yet they became renowned for their genius on the opposite side of the ball.  HC coach is a motivator, a coordinator (of responsibilities) and an administrator.  He also has to know how to do a sideline during a game.  Good challenges, smart timeout calls, 11 men at a time in the game.  stuff like that.....

yes that's because professionals gain experience and learn new things; rex doesn't even want to learn. every year same cycle with Rex:

Pre-season: Boyitellya, I am lost when the offense is on the field. we brought in [iNSERT NAME OF NEXT FUTURE SCAPEGOAT HERE] to run the offense and whoo boy i'm just gonna stay out of the way and let the master work

Week 8: We got whipped alright. I'm going to get a little more involved, [sCAPEGOAT] is doing a fine job but it's up to me as HC to provide the strategic identity for the team. so i might say "run it here, throw it there" but i'm not gonna call plays. no sir-ee i sure am not qualified to do that!

Week 12: I realize i just need to back off a bit and trust my guys to do their jobs, and that includes guys on the sidelines, the coaches. I have to accept what i know and what i don't know and gee whiz bang buck rogers ole rexy boy don't know spit about no offense!

One week after final game: today, we terminated the contract of [sCAPEGOAT], we just felt that with all of the challenges on offense, we needed to go a different direction. [iNEFFECTIVE STARTING QB] is our starter next year. 

I think Quinn would be a good hire. He has a solid track record. Plus he has a little extra motivation since he was not retained by Rex who hired, then fired his best friend to coach the DL.

He would be better than Rex.  Rex is under .500 for his last 50 games.... unacceptable.   Maybe Idzik should go also.... saved some money... I'm OK with that---  but 12 picks in the draft.... and mostly whiffs;  almost any slob could do better than that.

...Rex  should go. I blame all of this on Woody who married himself to Rex and let Rex destroy this organization. Woody needs to hire a football guy to run the team a guy who has the knowledge and savvy to hire a real GM and coach. Geno missing the team meetings on top of everything else should have been benched for the game. Where is the discipline? Rex has lack of discipline in all areas and is running a zoo not a football team I have stated it for years he is not a HC and he won with Mangini's guys. Idzik has done a horrific job here and was clearly not cut out to be a GM...a cap guy yeah but not a GM. There are too many young players in the league he passed up that are doing really well and could have helped this team. Drafting and signing 1 impact player (Richardson) with all the cap room and 19 draft picks is 100% inexcusable. I couldn't help but to wonder watching Beckman JR and Rogers-Cromartie help the Giants beat the Falcons this weekend guys on our radar Igzik let slip away. The Giants have new receivers, D-lineman, RB's, TE's and a new O-LIne and they are head and shoulders better than the Jets. Their draft choices and select FA signings have turned them around.

Rex is a coordinator. 

If you believe that Rex is gone after this year(I do) and that Idzik will continue to follow the plan he saw work in Seattle, then there is one guy out there who would fit the bill for all the requirements you rightly listed above. A guy who wasn't great in the NFL, went back to college and had way more success than Carroll had in college. Nick Saban. 

6 years of Rex has melted some brains.

Rex's biggest short-coming is that he was raised by a QB-hating lunatic. This is what makes him a detriment to the offense. His focus in working with the DL is what makes him horrible at talent evaluation beyond that position group.

This doesn't necessarily mean that Rex's inadequacies project to any coaching candidate with a defense-oriented background. It is perfectly feasible that we hire a special teams coach or defensive coach who just happens to be a great head coach, great evaluator of talent and a guy with the vision to hire assistants that carry out his chosen schemes successfully. 

6 years of Rex has melted some brains.

Rex's biggest short-coming is that he was raised by a QB-hating lunatic. This is what makes him a detriment to the offense. His focus in working with the DL is what makes him horrible at talent evaluation beyond that position group.

This doesn't necessarily mean that Rex's inadequacies project to any coaching candidate with a defense-oriented background. It is perfectly feasible that we hire a special teams coach or defensive coach who just happens to be a great head coach, great evaluator of talent and a guy with the vision to hire assistants that carry out his chosen schemes successfully. 

One thing I never understood--why can't a great defensive coach at least have some clue as to what types of offense are difficult to gameplan for and try to build that? And further, why isn't Rex able to turn that defensive genius brain of his on to say "Hey Brian/Tony/Marty, the Bills run X type of defense, the best way to attack it is to do Y, Z."

agree. and you could argue Pete Carroll's biggest asset these days is that Russell Wilson is the smartest player on the field 99% of the time.

i wonder how russell wilson would be doing if he was drafted by the jets. serious question. doubt he even would've been given a start.

Archived