Rex Ryan fires back at Herman Edwards.

JetsFanInDenver

I know Rex has his issues but Herm should not ever tell anyone what to do as a HC.  

Rex Ryan fires back at Herm Edwards

October, 8, 2014
Oct 8
11:05
AM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
Rex Ryan knows how to handle criticism -- and he's received plenty in his five-plus seasons as the New York Jets' coach. He usually doesn't fire back at individuals, but he took a shot Tuesday at former Jets coach and current ESPN analyst Herm Edwards.

30072.jpg
Ryan
Edwards was critical of the way Ryan responded to the Geno Smith situation, saying he should've benched the quarterback Sunday for missing a team meeting. That apparently didn't sit well with Ryan.

"If Herm Edwards gets to coach another team again, then he can do exactly what he wants,” Ryan said during his weekly spot on ESPN New York 98.7 FM's "Michael Kay Show." “No offense, but I don’t care to be compared to him anyway.”

Edwards coached the Jets from 2001 to 2005, compiling a 39-41 record and reaching the playoffs three times. He never was faced with a disciplinary situation at quarterback; he was lucky in that he had two prideful professionals at the position, Vinny Testaverde and Chad Pennington.

Ryan is under fire for his treatment of Smith. He's expected to fine the second-year quarterback, if he hasn't already, but Ryan has remained a steadfast supporter of Smith. He said immediately after Sunday's loss in San Diego that Smith will start this week against the Denver Broncos.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Herm 2-8 against Pats

Rex 3-7 against Pats

Average score with Herm 13.3-20.8

Average score with Rex 17-26.7

Not a whole lot to differentiate there

Does that include the playoff win?  And Rex was beating them with Sanchez....ugh...this organization is a nightmare.

Does that include the playoff win?  And Rex was beating them with Sanchez....ugh...this organization is a nightmare.

Nope, forgot that Super Bowl (oops, divisional playoff win) against the Pats.

One in Rex's corner-Although, that playoff win, and the subsequent flat performance against the Steelers steered me completely away from Rex as a coach. How odd.

Yeah I'd definitely give a little more weight towards a road playoff win over the Pats.  That was the last great win in the Rex era.  Made his hiring worthwhile though it didn't really make his final 4 years here all that palatable.

Post-Pats win, he's gone 23-30 and 0-1 in the playoffs.  Yikes.  Didn't think it was that bad but there it is.

Nope, forgot that Super Bowl (oops, divisional playoff win) against the Pats.

One in Rex's corner-Although, that playoff win, and the subsequent flat performance against the Steelers steered me completely away from Rex as a coach. How odd.

I had no issue with Rex after that loss...players were consistently in position to make plays and failed to do so.  Rex had them ready to go to the SB from a schematic standpoint, but players just did't play.  HC can only do so much.

Seriously, LOSING back-to-back AFCCG's is some sort of big deal?

At least Hermy won a division title and got Jets fans a home playoff game.

we had a better chance to win the SB from that position. I'll take conference championship playoff game over a home playoff game.

Rex Ryan probably still thinks his teams good enough to compete which it is not . Herm Edwards does have a right to his own opinion. Rex Ryan has to realize he hasn't done a good job in the past years. I agree with Mr. Edwards because I would have also benched Geno Smith for not going to the meeting. Rex is too much of a players coach and he lacks discipline. For Example Tom Coughlin is a good coach who preaches discipline and has won 2 super bowls in the past years. Rex Ryan has no clue and is stubborn. Thank goodness this is Rexs last journey as Jet coach. They need someone who has a clue atleast.

Rex Ryan probably still thinks his teams good enough to compete which it is not . Herm Edwards does have a right to his own opinion. Rex Ryan has realize he hasn't done a good job in the past years. I agree with Mr. Edwards because I would have also benched Geno Smith for not going to the meeting. Rex is too much of a players coach.

Actually, Herm has no right to an opinion when it comes to the Jets.  The truth is he's completely full of crap, because as bad as Rex is with all of this nonsense, Herm was only ever worse.  It's not even a matter of defending Rex, screw him and how he's handled everything, it's the fact that there's no one in human history who has less room to talk on this subject than Herman Edwards.

we had a better chance to win the SB from that position. I'll take conference championship playoff game over a home playoff game.

Its like the lotto, you got to be in it, to win it.

Buzzards are flying, this is professional sports.  6 years ago, Rex was everyone's favorite Head Coach.  Now, he's the worst Head Coach to ever live.  It's a tough business and Rex didnt do himself any favors with his mouth and guarantees.

The media is taking him down, bit by bit and will regret every moment of it when Idzik hires a boring clone and there's nothing to report, unless of course, he finds a winner...then Jets land wont know what to do with themselves. 

Rex Ryan probably still thinks his teams good enough to compete which it is not . Herm Edwards does have a right to his own opinion. Rex Ryan has to realize he hasn't done a good job in the past years. I agree with Mr. Edwards because I would have also benched Geno Smith for not going to the meeting. Rex is too much of a players coach and he lacks discipline. For Example Tom Coughlin is a good coach who preaches discipline and has won 2 super bowls in the past years. Rex Ryan has no clue and is stubborn. Thank goodness this is Rexs last journey as Jet coach. They need someone who has a clue atleast.

FWIW - Coughlin didnt start winning SB's until he finally started loosening up on the players.  Ironically, its why he was driven out of Jacksonville.  He was such a dictator for so many years, that when he finally decided to give the team a voice and loosen up on them, the players him to **** off.  Big mistake for the Jags.  They've been irrelevant ever since.  There's a balance. Coughlin learned it.  Rex has not.

Actually, Herm has no right to an opinion when it comes to the Jets.  The truth is he's completely full of crap, because as bad as Rex is with all of this nonsense, Herm was only ever worse.  It's not even a matter of defending Rex, screw him and how he's handled everything, it's the fact that there's no one in human history who has less room to talk on this subject than Herman Edwards.

Herm drove a SB ready team into the ground.  Rex propped up a sh*t hole team and made them Super Bowl caliber before he drove them to the ground.

Its like the lotto, you got to be in it, to win it.

Buzzards are flying, this is professional sports.  6 years ago, Rex was everyone's favorite Head Coach.  Now, he's the worst Head Coach to ever live.  It's a tough business and Rex didnt do himself any favors with his mouth and guarantees.

The media is taking him down, bit by bit and will regret every moment of it when Idzik hires a boring clone and there's nothing to report, unless of course, he finds a winner...then Jets land wont know what to do with themselves. 

Pretty sure Rex's undoing came from his own actions first. 

The NY media has been relatively soft on him, and actually been harder on Idzik. That happens when you are a good quote (and not one, such as Idzik).

Joe Walton (deservedly) got much worse than Rex has gotten.

Archived