John Idzik: MERGED

detjetsfan69

Of course I have an agenda, same as I had last offseason.

Win a Super Bowl.

That will never, ever, happen under Rex Ryan (despite Bit's claim that Rex is "just as good" as Super Bowl and National Title winning Coach Pete Carroll).

My agenda? Fire Rex Ryan, start the rebuild, hire a real Head Coach (not a D-Co) who will bring something to our anemic and pathetic Offense, while ALSO caring that the Defense is good (enough to win) too.

Same agenda I had last offseason, when I was told Rex would turn it all around in 2014.

rex will be fired. sure enough. you want to start a rebuild in idziks 3rd year? sounds a bit like what got the jets in trouble with rex,no?

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would GM Matt Bitonti have done differently, specifically?

Honestly I would have drafted QB's early and often. Jimmy G over Amaro. 

Manziel or Bridge over Pryor. 

This is not hindsight is 20 20 stuff, I've always been a fan of the Bill Walsh "draft a QB high every year" philosophy. What's the worst that can happen you get a Brees/Rivers situation? 

It's one thing to get Geno at discount prices. As a "gamble" 

It another to avoid direct competition and coronate him the franchise. They did the same with Mark. (and I don't believe either was a Rex decision). 

Only a fool believes Geno Smith is the answer. I am really questioning Idzik's abilities to pick players at this point and it's way worse than Rex's ability to coach a team. 

McDougle, Jalen Saunders aren't even on the team anymore. Calvin Pryor is nothing more than a glorified Eric Berry. This might be the worst draft this organization has had the last 30 years - and that is saying something.

Jace Amaro may be the best of a bad lot. Jets did not need another strong safety - they hve plenty of those. Landry, Antonio Allen and Jarrett along with Pryor are all the same guy. Jets needed CB's or WR's and took the wrong ones. Idzik has done a terrible job in the draft, FA and in keeping Rex for another year. Clean house Woody.

The irony Bit, is just like when you desperately wanted Mangini retained, you'll eventually "forget" you wanted Rex retained, and if the next Head Coach is poor, you'll be making the same arguments again.....keep the (bad) Coach! We have to have him!

Firing Mangini was the right call. Firing Rex will be the right call.

Firing Idzik might be the right call too.....we're not going to find out in 2014.

I don't remember myself so desperate to keep Mangini. I also am not desperate to keep Rex. The point I'm trying to make is that Idzik's two year performance is worse than Rex's 6 year performance. If we are judging the non-players, let's judge them fairly. 

Go on...

I wont go into ancient history, but lets start with the obvious. calvin pryor. I might be in the minority here, but imo, I didn't see 1st round talent there at all. he wasn't the best safety on the board at the time,even if you had your heart set on safety in the first. there were much better players of need on the board. luxury pick that the jets could not afford to make. a strong safety to boot. least of the jets defensive worries. as I have said in the past, and basically was ridiculed for, my pick would have been kelvin Benjamin or Derek carr

I wont go into ancient history, but lets start with the obvious. calvin pryor. I might be in the minority here, but imo, I didn't see 1st round talent there at all. he wasn't the best safety on the board at the time,even if you had your heart set on safety in the first. there were much better players of need on the board. luxury pick that the jets could not afford to make. a strong safety to boot. least of the jets defensive worries. as I have said in the past, and basically was ridiculed for, my pick would have been kelvin Benjamin or Derek carr

Everyone said Pryor was a better pick than Clinton Dix. And what we know now.. Haha has a stupid nickname, and he gets juked out of his shoes. Pryor just doesn't show up. At least Pryor doesn't need to have his uniform cleaned every game. He saves Idzik money. 

This is not hindsight is 20 20 stuff, I've always been a fan of the Bill Walsh "draft a QB high every year" philosophy. What's the worst that can happen you get a Brees/Rivers situation? 

It another to avoid direct competition and coronate him the franchise. They did the same with Mark. (and I don't believe either was a Rex decision). 

Only a fool believes Geno Smith is the answer. I am really questioning Idzik's abilities to pick players at this point and it's way worse than Rex's ability to coach a team.

I'll just say this, doing a search on your posts that include "Geno Smith" was VERY enlightening.

I don't remember myself so desperate to keep Mangini.

Apparently there are a lot of things you've said that you don't remember.

Everyone said Pryor was a better pick than Clinton Dix. And what we know now.. Haha has a stupid nickname, and he gets juked out of his shoes. Pryor just doesn't show up. At least Pryor doesn't need to have his uniform cleaned every game. He saves Idzik money. 

for what its worth, I didn't like dix in the first, either. I thought he was a better safety than pryor. hell, I wouldn't take any safety in the first that wasn't comparable to to reed,troy, or Thomas.

for what its worth, I didn't like dix in the first, either. I thought he was a better safety than pryor. hell, I wouldn't take any safety in the first that wasn't comparable to to reed,troy, or Thomas.

Safety wasn't a need, on this deplorable team filled with holes. I am just grateful we didn't go DL again. 

Odd, yet your Jet draft review does not mention any of that, and you graded the players well.

Odd, yet your Jet draft review does not mention any of that, and you graded the players well.

Well, I thought there would be a fair QB competition and Vick would win it. In the framework of getting competent QB play, adding Pryor and Amaro isn't that bad. 

WHy would they sign this player to be the 4th highest paid player on the team and then not give him a legit chance? 

I'll just say this, doing a search on your posts that include "Geno Smith" was VERY enlightening.

Serious question how to get to the advanced search? I can't find it anywhere. 

I am relatively certain that I was never nice to Geno. That dude is terrible. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I thought there would be a fair QB competition and Vick would win it. In the framework of getting competent QB play, adding Pryor and Amaro isn't that bad. 

WHy would they sign this player to be the 4th highest paid player on the team and then not give him a legit chance? 

The Vick signing was retarded.  Yay he beat a now crappy Pittsburgh Steelers defense.

Just incredible you have Jets fans still defending John Idzik. The rest of the NFL thinks John Idzik is a joke.

Jet fans are incredible.

Btw you dont judge a gm soley on draft picks. ANYBODY could make picks and have a couple of them pan out. A GENERAL MANAGER manages the team.....in general. He builds the team, allots cap money accordingly, assesses players skills AND personalities....and how well they mesh....WITHIN the head coaches particular system. He thinks about cohesion, continuity, consistency. He builds a winning TEAM............and usually shouldn't have left over nuts and bolts. lol

We were 8-8 last year...Woody said he expected improvement. In fact, keeping Rex was predicated on that. Now we're 2-8.

You could even let that fly in a case where he believed in the guy. But, just like with Tannebum, these are NOT football guys. And after that big dog and pony show interviewing for that job. What was he looking at? It seems quite obvious that Woody is intested in who can best manage his dough. Truthfully, between Tanny, idzig and Woody, I wouldnt trust them to manage my fantasy draft.

According to experts, he paid 3 times what the team was worth from the jump, so he's been trying to recify that ever since, which is why he goes for the bargain bin on everything. lol Dont you notice that EVERY one of his hires, GM or head coach, has been a first-timer?? NEVER an experienced guy who commands a price, always a guy looking for a shot.

He is heir to a fortune, meaning his acumen for anything is lacking. And like the rest of them, he is looking for anyway to make a name for himself, to seperate him from the other Johnson's......of course, a football team. Honestly, I am thankful that he brought in his long time friend, probably the one guy he knew who had some sort of football background, Terry Bradway...or we'd truly be lost. Lol

Btw..its Bradway who gets the credit for all the draft picks (good and bad) thru the tannebum,Idzig drafts. He's the one guy with some knowledge and compared to those three he's Vince Lombardi lol

I know this may come as a shock - but look up Idziks background again- he comes from a football family and has had several roles in different areas of football.

" John Idzik, son of a coach, grew up in the sport. As a youngster, he scribbled X's and O's on a kiddie chalkboard, sat alongside his father for countless hours as he studied game tape and annoyed his sisters at the dinner table with intense, father-son football conversations.

As a teen, Idzik followed his father to NFL training camps, including the New York Jets' in the late 1970s. He washed jock straps, ran errands and served as a ball boy, staying close to the game he loved. He played wide receiver at Dartmouth, won a couple of Ivy League titles and earned an unsuccessful tryout with the New England Patriots......

....... During his high-school years, he worked as a summer ball boy with the Philadelphia Eagles and Jets.

"I was hanging around as a ball boy, a PR assistant, doing odd jobs," Idzik once said. "[The NFL] was always a big part of my life."

His father coached the Jets' quarterbacks from 1977 to 1979, in the middle of the celebrated Richard Todd-Matt Robinson controversy......

...... Idzik was an athletic and academic standout at Dartmouth, playing wide receiver and graduating with magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa honors.

After Dartmouth, Idzik coached the receivers at the University of Buffalo for a year before deciding to join the real world. He landed a job at IBM, moving from White Plains, N.Y., to Atlanta to Tampa.

After 6 years he returned to football and landed a job as a pro-personnel assistant with the Tampa Bay Bucs, starting an 11-year climb through the organizational ranks. With his math background, Idzik gravitated toward the business side of the operation and eventually was put in charge of managing the salary cap.

A former Bucs colleague described him as bright and a hard worker, an excellent cap manager. He lost that job after a power struggle with John Gruden.

He then spent three years as the Arizona Cardinals' senior director of football operations before moving to the Seahawks in 2007.

(QUICK FUN FACTS: His 3 yrs with Arizona, they won a total of 15 games. and His first year in Seattle they went 4-12 after being 10-6 the year before. Just for the record.........lol)

Idzik became an integral part of the Seahawks' front office, surviving a house cleaning and climbing the ladder. He was the No. 3 man, behind coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider. In recent years, Idzik dabbled in personnel, attending meetings and taking a couple of scouting trips.

There you have it. Sounds qualified to build an NFL team.

• 1 month later...

I've said this over and over on this board. I understand your frustration and I can not say for sure that Idzik's plans are going to work out. BUT, it takes a few years to see if the players we have drafted are going to pan out, and to see what we do with our cap room this offseason.

IF WE FIRE A GM AFTER 24 MONTHS ON THE JOB BECAUSE HE HASN'T BUILT AN ELITE TEAM YET..... ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THE COMPLETE DUMPSTER FIRE HE INHERITED..... IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO ATTRACT ANOTHER HIGH LEVEL CANDIDATE TO THIS FRANCHISE.

It just simply isn't done. Any qualified candidate would avoid Woody like the plague if he starts firing GM's every 2 years

. Anyone see all of the elite headcoaches lined up to work with Al Davis in the 2000's?????? Exactly... NONE. Because he lost his marbles.

Idzik has to be given at least 3 full offseasons to show what he has. At least 3, and it's hard to even count 2013 considering there was zero cap room and everything was a mess.

I've said this over and over on this board. I understand your frustration and I can not say for sure that Idzik's plans are going to work out. BUT, it takes a few years to see if the players we have drafted are going to pan out, and to see what we do with our cap room this offseason.

IF WE FIRE A GM AFTER 24 MONTHS ON THE JOB BECAUSE HE HASN'T BUILT AN ELITE TEAM YET..... ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THE COMPLETE DUMPSTER FIRE HE INHERITED..... IT WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE TO ATTRACT ANOTHER HIGH LEVEL CANDIDATE TO THIS FRANCHISE.

It just simply isn't done. Any qualified candidate would avoid Woody like the plague if he starts firing GM's every 2 years. Anyone see all of the elite headcoaches lined up to work with Al Davis in the 2000's?????? Exactly... NONE. Because he lost his marbles.

Idzik has to be given at least 3 full offseasons to show what he has. At least 3, and it's hard to even count 2013 considering there was zero cap room and everything was a mess.

Why just 3 offseasons? We should give Idzik another 10 years to learn how to do his job.

Archived