Worse Jets Head Coach; Herman Edwards Or Rex Ryan?

SoFlaJets

They're both equally terrible for different reasons.

Herman Edwards had superior talent, had an above-average quarterback, had a Top 5 offensive line, had a Hall Of Fame running back, and had the Patriots early-on in their dynasty when they were most vulnerable and couldn't do anything with it.

Rex Ryan had lesser talent but was so one-dimensional on the defensive side of the ball he forgot all about the offense and committed the mortal sin of having a do-over in the AFC Championship Game and having his team completely unprepared for it, the worst loss in team history.

Coaches like Kotite and Coslet never had a chance; the likes of Edwards and Ryan had a great shot and blew it.

SAR I

From an X's and O's standpoint, Herm was way worse. He got by for a while because he inherited a roster that Parcells built.

Rex initially did more with less, but the lack of attention to the offense has been his undoing.

Everyone forgets that Tanny-Rex completely tore down the offense to open 2011. They got rid of Alan Fanaca, Thomas Jones, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery and DE Sean Ellis. Things have gone downhill from there with little or no light at the end of the tunnel. Now they have yet another cap-o-logist as GM with little or no talent at personnel and an owner asleep at the wheel completely out of touch with his fan base. Pathetic.

Herman Edwards had superior talent, had an above-average quarterback, had a Top 5 offensive line, had a Hall Of Fame running back, and had the Patriots early-on in their dynasty when they were most vulnerable and couldn't do anything with it.

Rex Ryan had lesser talent but was so one-dimensional on the defensive side of the ball he forgot all about the offense and committed the mortal sin of having a do-over in the AFC Championship Game and having his team completely unprepared for it, the worst loss in team history.

Coaches like Kotite and Coslet never had a chance; the likes of Edwards and Ryan had a great shot and blew it.

SAR I

well said. 

Herm was much worse.

I never hated Herm Edwards. Rex is another story. I think it is Rex's talk the talk, rather than walk the walk is the biggest difference. At least Herman carried himself like a professional. Rex is totally unprofessional and looks for laughs at his press conferences when HE is the biggest joke of all.

I never hated Herm Edwards. Rex is another story. I think it is Rex's talk the talk, rather than walk the walk is the biggest difference. At least Herman carried himself like a professional. Rex is totally unprofessional and looks for laughs at his press conferences when HE is the biggest joke of all.

I readily adnmit-I very much disliked Edwards. As unprofessional as Ryan is, the guy is still a very good DC, a job Edwards never did. Come around to the idea that Edwwards, while a lousy HC, wasn't a bad guy, simply out of his league. While Ryan was refreshingly not the blow-dryed auto answer coach guy from central casting was refreshing at first, seems based on "Crossers" he started thinking his image was more important than the nuts and bolts of his job.Sadly both as defense guys failed to grasp the importance of the QB and the passing attack at exactly the point in time when the NFL became primarily a passing league.

And worse-the guy between them is probably a very good Xs and Os guy. But the unending douchebag act of Mangini only works if you win. Basically this franchise got royally effed by Brett Favre tearing his bicep in 2008. Seems almost trivial, and it's the difference between Mangini probably winning a title, Favre being an NFL Messier in NY, and both writing their tickets here forever, and this ongoing sheetshow.

Everyone forgets that Tanny-Rex completely tore down the offense to open 2011. They got rid of Alan Fanaca, Thomas Jones, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery and DE Sean Ellis. Things have gone downhill from there with little or no light at the end of the tunnel. Now they have yet another cap-o-logist as GM with little or no talent at personnel and an owner asleep at the wheel completely out of touch with his fan base. Pathetic.

You're mixing things up a bit.  Faneca and Jones were let go after the '09 season.  Braylon, Ellis, and Cotch were let go before the 2011 season.

I think the hope was that by 2011, with two years as a starter under his belt, Sanchez would have been able to carry the team - the way good QBs like Brady have been doing for the Pats - while they dealt with a few seasons under tight cap constraints. It backfired, and Tanny lost his job for it.

Rex is a worse HEAD coach.  He might be a good defensive coordinator (which is yet to be proven both him and his brother get beaten like drums in big games) but a head coach has to be in charge of both sides of the ball.  There might even be less team discipline than there was under club Herm and even less accountability.

SAR I

SAR I you need to change your signature banner to read DESCENDING...

In the purest sense of the HC, Herm is a head coach, Rex is not. Herm actually was responsible for the whole team, Rex is not.

Herm was a horrible HC, but he was a HC.

Rex is a horrible HC, but is a good enough defensive guy to add some value to the team.

They both suck, and I don't want either as the HC for the Jets.

I readily adnmit-I very much disliked Edwards. As unprofessional as Ryan is, the guy is still a very good DC, a job Edwards never did. Come around to the idea that Edwwards, while a lousy HC, wasn't a bad guy, simply out of his league. While Ryan was refreshingly not the blow-dryed auto answer coach guy from central casting was refreshing at first, seems based on "Crossers" he started thinking his image was more important than the nuts and bolts of his job.Sadly both as defense guys failed to grasp the importance of the QB and the passing attack at exactly the point in time when the NFL became primarily a passing league.

And worse-the guy between them is probably a very good Xs and Os guy. But the unending douchebag act of Mangini only works if you win. Basically this franchise got royally effed by Brett Favre tearing his bicep in 2008. Seems almost trivial, and it's the difference between Mangini probably winning a title, Favre being an NFL Messier in NY, and both writing their tickets here forever, and this ongoing sheetshow.

yup if favre doesn't tear that muscle he plays for 1-2 more years in NY

I agree with Grunder and Spartan, at least Herm knew a little bit about the offensive side of the ball and special teams Rex, he knows one thing and one thing only and REFUSES to even act like he cares to learn anything about anything EXCEPT being a defensive coordinator. WTHBS, the Ryan defensive philosophy hasn't been working now for the past 5 years now, neither him or his fat brother have been able to stop anything important 

Archived