So Where The Hell Is The Rex Ryan Billboard?

SAR I

So, Rex sucking is a consensus now? Good. Good. That's progress. Took awhile, but progress has been made. Congrats.

Seriously. 

Next Lesson: How Coaches Impact A Team More Than Any GM Can.

Hey, remember when people used the "coaches don't impact things that much, players gotta make plays" defense of Rex, but then those same people called out Schotty for not being a good enough offensive coordinator when the heat was on Rex. Same for Sporano?

Good times.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was never the biggest Sanchez fan when he was here, but SAR's making some pretty good points. Look at how teams like the Colts and Falcons went out of their way to provide the young QBs they drafted high with young skill position talent to bond and build a rapport and chemistry with. Then look at the contrast of the Jets allowing the talent Sanchez had as a rookie to leave, and instead of replacing it, focusing exclusively on the defense while ignoring the offense, all for Rex's futile quest to recreate Daddy's '85 Bears.

I'm not saying Sanchez definitely would've been the guy had we given him everything he needed to succeed, but we sure as hell didn't even try.

+1

Here's what we know:

In Rex Ryan's backwards-ass system, Mark Sanchez worked. 2009 and 2010, Mark Sanchez was exactly what this franchise needed, and after his hiccups as a 22 year old rookie he went on a 16-4 tear in which he elevated his game in the postseason, was the best Jet on the field in two AFC Championship Games, and turned a disappointing 7-9 defensive performance into an accomplished 11-5 season with fantastic last-second wins against Houston, Denver, Cleveland, and Detroit. Not to mention, he won the game Testaverde, Pennington, and Favre could never win- the epic victory in Pittsburgh when all looked hopeless.

Mark Sanchez was The Man in August 2011. No one on this forum or any other even breathed a word about trouble at the QB position as we courted Aso and other nice-to-have free agents. Something happened to Mark a few months later and that something wasn't a tough game in Baltimore, it was his head coach loading up his defense and ignoring the needs of a young QB on the rise, the most valuable asset in the NFL. The loss of confidence, the turnovers, the indecision, the butt fumble, it all happens because of one man:

Rex Ryan is The Devil.

SAR I

Rex Ryan has a tattoo of his wife in a Mark Sanchez jersey on his arm.  He totally didnt like Mark or want him on the Jets.  Was totally his decision to draft Geno and move Mark this offseason.  Totes.

Is anyone really accusing Rex of not liking Mark? I think Rex loved the kid, but I also think Rex's failings as a head football coach whose entire persona is about killing the QB, ultimately killed his QB.

Listen, it boils down to this... all our drafts centered around building an elite defense, which we never attained, and it happened at the expense of the offense around Sanchez. He sucked because he was played too early, not handled correctly (green, yellow, red), and not consistently surrounded with talent. Why did that happen? Rex signed off on guys like Holmes, Mason and Plaxico, and instead of drafting much needed play makers and offensive linemen, we drafted depth for the DL and secondary.

It just wasn't in Rex's makeup to help a rookie QB succeed, it may not be in his makeup to help any QB succeed. It doesn't mean Rex maliciously ruined the kid's career, and just because Rex has a tattoo of the kid doesn't mean Rex wouldn't use "my bad QB" as a scapegoat to extend his career.

Is anyone really accusing Rex of not liking Mark? I think Rex loved the kid, but I also think Rex's failings as a head football coach whose entire persona is about killing the QB, ultimately killed his QB.

Listen, it boils down to this... all our drafts centered around building an elite defense, which we never attained, and it happened at the expense of the offense around Sanchez. He sucked because he was played too early, not handled correctly (green, yellow, red), and not consistently surrounded with talent. Why did that happen? Rex signed off on guys like Holmes, Mason and Plaxico, and instead of drafting much needed play makers and offensive linemen, we drafted depth for the DL and secondary.

It just wasn't in Rex's makeup to help a rookie QB succeed, it may not be in his makeup to help any QB succeed. It doesn't mean Rex maliciously ruined the kid's career, and just because Rex has a tattoo of the kid doesn't mean Rex wouldn't use "my bad QB" as a scapegoat to extend his career.

Wasn't Sanchez a regular at Rex's kid's HS football games?  I remember reading that Sanchez was always over at Rex's house for dinner, etc.

As an aside, I'll be interested to see what kind of billboard $10k gets you. Iirc, a full-sized billboard on a major highway cost in the neighborhood of $30k.

Was wondering this same thing.  I hope the founders don't pocket this money.

Wasn't Sanchez a regular at Rex's kid's HS football games?  I remember reading that Sanchez was always over at Rex's house for dinner, etc.

Yeah, something like that.

The problem is really simple, Rex is good at attacking protections with "elaborate blitzes". That's it.

The Jets hired him and gave him sign-off powers on the makeup of the roster. Which led to him saying "Mark Sanchez is our guy" and Tanny trading up for him, but it also led to Rex having no idea how to put people around Sanchez. Starting with the right coordinator and position coaches, and extending to the OL as it was rebuilt after Woody and Faneca left, and the receiving corps... where we saw Cotchery insulted out of town, and turds like Braylon, Holmes, Plaxico and Mason brought in. Honestly, the common denominator for all these guys we brought in as "weapons" that Rex raved about was always a soundbyte of Rex saying "I watched tape (from 2-3 seasons ago) and said, get that guy in here". 

Rex is not a personnel guy. He shouldn't have been elevated to a point in his career where he needed to be adept at evaluating personnel for current and future talent, for chemistry, and for systematic usage. Add to that a complete inability to develop talent beyond the defensive line (which is debatable as well, given that Dunbar is here), and you have a recipe for disaster.

Sar is blaming Rex for Mark. 

This is such a boring conversation.  I dont understand the need for Jets fans to rehash the years of some sh*tty player because he did something once on another team after they left the Jets.  Its so strange. 

Mark walked into a perfect situation for a rookie QB.  Everyone said it at the time, and its still true.  Of Rex Ryan's first 13 picks, 11 were on offense. They had the best OL in the game, the best running game in the league and they acquired 2 WR's and HOF RB.  They tried, they just failed.

Its simple Mark Sanchez sucked because Mark Sanchez sucks.  Rex being an idiot when it comes to offense, didnt help.  

This is such a boring conversation.  I dont understand the need for Jets fans to rehash the years of some sh*tty player because he did something once on another team after they left the Jets.  Its so strange. 

Mark walked into a perfect situation for a rookie QB.  Everyone said it at the time, and its still true.  Of Rex Ryan's first 13 picks, 11 were on offense. They had the best OL in the game, the best running game in the league and they acquired 2 WR's and HOF RB.  They tried, they just failed.

Its simple Mark Sanchez sucked because Mark Sanchez sucks.  Rex being an idiot when it comes to offense, didnt help.  

Fair enough. I personally think Mark represented "average" in his potential, and ended up crashing into "suck" because of the situation he was in, a situation Rex was at the center of.

Bingo. Spot on.

I've seen this in the corporate world all the time, guy gets promoted, in over his head, he knows it, the only thing he can do to prevent the inevitable is double-down on what he knows best so that he'll have a soft landing when the new job is over.

Rex Ryan isn't even trying to be a complete head coach. He's just trying to maintain his reputation as a defensive genius so he can be someone's boisterous defensive coordinator after he's taken Woody's money for a season. Rex belongs on TV, he's John Madden 2.0, we'll be suffering listening to his big mouth over dinner on Fox every Sunday at 6pm.

Until then, he gets to ruin our franchise in a futile attempt to save his own skin.

Rex Ryan is The Devil.

SAR I

You're so close to the truth but you're just not putting Part B after Part A. Here, let me help:

"Mark walked into a perfect situation for a rookie QB. Everyone said it at the time, and its still true. Of Rex Ryan's first 13 picks, 11 were on offense. They had the best OL in the game, the best running game in the league and they acquired 2 WR's and HOF RB." Yes, good. Now just type this:

"And then after they saw how well things went and after seeing Mark blossom into a very good starting QB for the Ground & Pound strategy they signed up for, they completely disregarded the offense, saw the HOF RB's retire, saw the Pro Bowl WR's walk out, and replaced them with absolute garbage while making an unqualified Tony Sparano the offensive coordinator and creating the Tim Tebow sideshow after flirting with 'never going to New York' Peyton Manning which created a maelstrom that no professional athlete could ever recover from."

What you're missing is that Rex Ryan's strategy only called for a quarterback with Mark Sanchez' ability, nothing more. No one called him a blue chip first round can't miss prospect like Andrew Luck. It wasn't about Mark Sanchez improving. It was about the supporting cast that was allowed to dissolve in 2011 so that our defensive coordinator run amok could chase after an unnecessary piece like Nnamdi Asomugha instead of replacing Burress, Tomlinson, Edwards, and Richardson with capable NFL caliber players.

The 2011 and 2012 seasons, for those who forget, was all about our atrocious defense and our failed running game and Mark Sanchez being asked to throw 40 times a game to garbage WR's because we couldn't stop anyone and couldn't move the ball on the ground.

SAR I

You're so close to the truth but you're just not putting Part B after Part A. Here, let me help:

"Mark walked into a perfect situation for a rookie QB. Everyone said it at the time, and its still true. Of Rex Ryan's first 13 picks, 11 were on offense. They had the best OL in the game, the best running game in the league and they acquired 2 WR's and HOF RB." Yes, good. Now just type this:

"And then after they saw how well things went and after seeing Mark blossom into a very good starting QB for the Ground & Pound strategy they signed up for, they completely disregarded the offense, saw the HOF RB's retire, saw the Pro Bowl WR's walk out, and replaced them with absolute garbage while making an unqualified Tony Sparano the offensive coordinator and creating the Tim Tebow sideshow after flirting with 'never going to New York' Peyton Manning which created a maelstrom that no professional athlete could ever recover from."

What you're missing is that Rex Ryan's strategy only called for a quarterback with Mark Sanchez' ability, nothing more. No one called him a blue chip first round can't miss prospect like Andrew Luck. It wasn't about Mark Sanchez improving. It was about the supporting cast that was allowed to dissolve in 2011 so that our defensive coordinator run amok could chase after an unnecessary piece like Nnamdi Asomugha instead of replacing Burress, Tomlinson, Edwards, and Richardson with capable NFL caliber players.

The 2011 and 2012 seasons, for those who forget, was all about our atrocious defense and our failed running game and Mark Sanchez being asked to throw 40 times a game to garbage WR's because we couldn't stop anyone and couldn't move the ball on the ground.

SAR I

Cool.  Rex Ryan made a sh*tty Mark Sanchez, sh*ttier.

I remember this thread when it said Herm Edwards was the Devil...  in a couple years it will say Dan Quinn is the devil etc etc.

Nonsense really...  Rex will have either a DC or HC position in short order and will continue being the good coach that he is.  I've heard former and current NFL players extoll his virtues so forgive me for not buying into this gobbledygook.

Tell me more about how he ruins QB's in one hand, but doesn't coach anything but Defense in the other.

I remember this thread when it said Herm Edwards was the Devil...  in a couple years it will say Dan Quinn is the devil etc etc.

Nonsense really...  Rex will have either a DC or HC position in short order and will continue being the good coach that he is.  I've heard former and current NFL players extoll his virtues so forgive me for not buying into this gobbledygook.

Tell me more about how he ruins QB's in one hand, but doesn't coach anything but Defense in the other.

You just provided the argument that you are contesting, you idiot.

You just provided the argument that you are contesting, you idiot.

I thought I told you to try your mental parlor tricks somewhere else.

Every HC in the league has a side of the ball that they are more comfortable with and it's the job of coordinators, position coaches, etc to maximize the potential of individual players.  In fact if you listen to interviews you'd hear them say they spend the majority of time with their position coaches.

So you telling me Rex only spends his time on defense but is ruining our QB's is just stupid.  sorry.

The only people who doubt Rex's coaching ability are Jets fans or blow hard shock response talk show hosts. 

Every HC in the league has a side of the ball that they are more comfortable with and it's the job of coordinators, position coaches, etc to maximize the potential of individual players.  In fact if you listen to interviews you'd hear them say they spend the majority of time with their position coaches.

So you telling me Rex only spends his time on defense but is ruining our QB's is just stupid.  sorry.

Droppin knowledge!

I'd take that bet - I don't think Rex ever gets another HC gig in the NFL again.

Cool.  Rex Ryan made a sh*tty Mark Sanchez, sh*ttier.

Nope.

With a few rare can't-miss exceptions, every NFL quarterback prospect is average at best and it takes great coaching and a great supporting cast to make them great.

Put Peyton Manning on the '11-'12 Jets we'd have gotten wildcards. Put anyone else, they'd suffer the same misfortune that Mark Sanchez did.

You don't just draft a QB and walk away. You develop him and you surround him patiently with young WR's and TE's that he can grow with. In '11 and '12 the Jets were the only team in the NFL without a pass catching RB as a dump-off outlet, the only NFL team with XFL caliber WR's, the only NFL team without a real offensive coordinator, the only team with Tim Tebow's circus, the only team with a head coach that can't manage timeouts.

SAR I

Nope.

With a few rare can't-miss exceptions, every NFL quarterback prospect is average at best and it takes great coaching and a great supporting cast to make them great.

Put Peyton Manning on the '11-'12 Jets we'd have gotten wildcards. Put anyone else, they'd suffer the same misfortune that Mark Sanchez did.

You don't just draft a QB and walk away. You develop him and you surround him patiently with young WR's and TE's that he can grow with. In '11 and '12 the Jets were the only team in the NFL without a pass catching RB as a dump-off outlet, the only NFL team with XFL caliber WR's, the only NFL team without a real offensive coordinator, the only team with Tim Tebow's circus, the only team with a head coach that can't manage timeouts.

SAR I

Mark Sanchez sucks.

Whether or not he's decent in 2014 doesn't hide that fact that you could argue that no other NFL prospect had the type of two year setup for future success that Mark Sanchez had and was summarily ignored by his head coach, given no young targets to bond with, given no decent free agents to replace what he lost. Add to that Sparano, Tebow, the Snoopy Bowl, it's comical what we did to destroy a kid off to such a promising start.

SAR I

This is bulls--t. The true Mark Sanchez story is he was playing with shoulder problems since 2011. This last offseason was the first time he could actually heal. He basically had to take a year off. 

The Jets did not ruin Mark Sanchez. He got hurt. He played hurt for several seasons. He threw crazy ints and made butt fumbles cause of the whole situation (which probably included some needles to play thru injury).

hat's the fact of the matter. This is not insider stuff, do a google search that's the article all the Philly beat writers wrote this preseason. 

It's like dog's smelling each other's Sh@t and arguing who's smells worse. Look guys all the Q.B's we've has in that last Five years are bottom tier aweful. Let's do better, Draft better, and at least get a serviceable one. I Dream of a middle of the road Q.B, for the Jets.

yoyo_zpsd443ce64.jpg

Explain to me what more we would have wanted out of a college junior NFL quarterback prospect than a 4-2 playoff record, an 11-5 season, and a span where the team he led won 16 of 20 games including 5 miracle comebacks that led to our second best season since 1968?

You want to throw stats at me, fine, but in a Rex Ryan system of ground and pound and a punishing defense, our 16-4 run was the best in team history. He wasn't the next Peyton Manning, but Mark Sanchez was exactly what we needed him to be and we didn't cultivate him or build an offense to continue the success he had with some older free agents.

Again, show me a rookie QB thrown into the fire that showed such promise so early and then was disregarded and unsupported like this. You can't.

SAR I

It's impossible to argue against any of this because you've set up the premises as a given that:

1) Mark Sanchez showed a ton of promise, which, you acknowledge that you have to throw out his stats to arrive at that conclusion.

2) That team record is the gold standard for evaluation of a QB, which may work in baseball, but not so much in football.

3) Mark Sanchez was "exactly what we needed him to be" which was proven untrue by his repeated no-shows in Championship Games and inability to elevate his game when the team no longer had the #1 Defense and #1 Running Game.

I never said it was because Rex spends his time with the defense, I said it was because Rex had major sway over the way the roster was built, and he only prioritized the defense. Big difference, but you know that, which is why you have no choice but to make an idiot's argument to try and save face or whatever... you don't have a face worth saving.

Archived