Would you give complete control of the New York Jets to Nick Saban?

CobraVerde

Would you give Nick Saban Complete Control of the New York Jets?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give Nick Saban Complete Control of the New York Jets?

• Yes. Give him whatever he wants.
    • No. Nick Saban is not an answer.
    • No. Get Les Miles, Gus Malzahn or Jimbo Fisher instead (or other).
    • No. We need a seasoned NFL coach.
    • No. We need a retired NFL coach.
    • We need to keep Rex Ryan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised how many on here would say no to Saban.  I don't think there's any chance of him coming here but, if it were possible, I'd be all over it.  The guy is a tremendous coach.  Even Belichick didn't have success in his first coaching stint (Cleveland).  Pete Carroll had 2 rough stops (Jets, New England) but now he's a marquee coach.  Jimmy Johnson made the leap to superstar NFL coach so it can absolutely be done.  I would absolutely give Saban 100% control.  Again, though, I don't see it happening. 

I'm surprised how many on here would say no to Saban. I don't think there's any chance of him coming here but, if it were possible, I'd be all over it. The guy is a tremendous coach. Even Belichick didn't have success in his first coaching stint (Cleveland). Pete Carroll had 2 rough stops (Jets, New England) but now he's a marquee coach. Jimmy Johnson made the leap to superstar NFL coach so it can absolutely be done. I would absolutely give Saban 100% control. Again, though, I don't see it happening.

Saban and Belichick are like hear friends. No way Saban will be the HC of the NYJ

Saban and Belichick are like hear friends. No way Saban will be the HC of the NYJ

Saban left the NFL because he couldn't tolerate the politics. He and Belichick and friends, but it doesn't define him his career.

I am surprised by how many nos there are. The QB coach thing is maybe a fair point - Alabama throws anyone back there and asks that they don't ruin anything - but otherwise...

Harbaugh is who were going after I think.

I doubt it.  IF he decided to leave the west coast for NY he'd pick the Giants over the Jets.  I think Mike Holmgren as GM is a much more realistic possibility.   Even Bill Parcells as GM or VP of football ops might happen if Woody throws enough money at him.

I'm surprised how many on here would say no to Saban.  I don't think there's any chance of him coming here but, if it were possible, I'd be all over it.  The guy is a tremendous coach.  Even Belichick didn't have success in his first coaching stint (Cleveland).  Pete Carroll had 2 rough stops (Jets, New England) but now he's a marquee coach.  Jimmy Johnson made the leap to superstar NFL coach so it can absolutely be done.  I would absolutely give Saban 100% control.  Again, though, I don't see it happening. 

Saban loves coaching in college, has had an insane amount of success and his track record includes ditching the Dolphins in the middle of the night.  You think if Saban came here and went say 7-9 one season there's a snowball's chance in hell he wouldn't quit as our coach and take one of the 10,000 job offers he'd get in college?

Doubt it. He's making 7 mill a year at Bama. And Jim Mandrich says he'll punch out Saban if he ever steps into Miami again. Of course that might be a good reason to hire him!

And whoever mentioned Harbaugh is actually using his brain. Which would be a first on this board.

Doubt it. He's making 7 mill a year at Bama. And Jim Mandrich says he'll punch out Saban if he ever steps into Miami again. Of course that might be a good reason to hire him!

And whoever mentioned Harbaugh is actually using his brain. Which would be a first on this board.

Jim Mandich died in 2011

They tried that scenario down in Miami and look how that one ended up....he was like a dictator down here even going so far as to fire Father Nick who was the Dolphins priest/chaplain since the late 60's... No thanks

Pete Carroll should never have been hired by the Seahawks then.

Pete Carroll should never have been hired by the Seahawks then.

That was a little different. Carroll went to college and learned an incredible knack for building up quarterbacks. Saban is still Saban, there hasn't been a huge evolution in his style of play since LSU. Rosters are so oversaturated with 3 star prospects, so Saban recruits heavy on defense because you can exploit physical mismatches at the college level when you can sell a product like Bama to the 4-5 star guys.

No absolutely not. Sabans success is based on his ability to recruit top notch high school players. Either way he won't leave the sweet gig he has at Alabama for the freakin Jets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is why you give him complete control of personnel as well. That's why he failed in Miami cause they didnt let him be the GM. And EVERY coach dreams about winning the Super Bowl. And if he keeps losing at Alabama that sweet gig is gonna start to be a bitter pill. 

Which is why you give him complete control of personnel as well. That's why he failed in Miami cause they didnt let him be the GM. And EVERY coach dreams about winning the Super Bowl. And if he keeps losing at Alabama that sweet gig is gonna start to be a bitter pill.

He's not losing at Alabama. They are still #1. They will most likely be playing for another national championship. They guy is going nowhere. He is God down there. The Jets won't even pay him close to what he is making now as Alabama coach nor will he even deserve to make that much as Jets head coach.

I like your premise of thinking but it's just unrealistic at this point in time.

He's not losing at Alabama. They are still #1. They will most likely be playing for another national championship. They guy is going nowhere. He is God down there. The Jets won't even pay him close to what he is making now as Alabama coach nor will he even deserve to make that much as Jets head coach.

I like your premise of thinking but it's just unrealistic at this point in time.

Maybe. You never know. Sometimes these guys have something to prove to themselves. Other times a scandal hits and going pro is the only option if you want to keep coaching.

I do think there is zero chance he'd ever go to the Jets though. That I do agree with. If Saban is ever coming back he is taking the surest thing he can get with an organization that is capable and an owner who knows his place; and that sure as hell isn't us.

Nope.  

He's done great at Alabama but I think pretty much any half way decent coach could do great there when you can pretty much pick 5 star recruits at every single position and just outmatch your opponents with talent.  It's almost ridiculous how well they recruit, very similar to Kentucky in college basketball.   

The guy I would want (as coach, not as GM) would be Helfrich from Oregon.   

Nope.  

He's done great at Alabama but I think pretty much any half way decent coach could do great there when you can pretty much pick 5 star recruits at every single position and just outmatch your opponents with talent.  It's almost ridiculous how well they recruit, very similar to Kentucky in college basketball.   

The guy I would want (as coach, not as GM) would be Helfrich from Oregon.   

Ya Mike Shula Mike Dubose and Dennis Franchione did wonders there

Nick is a quitter.  When things aren't perfect he will pack up and go elsewhere.  Not the answer.

so you call someone who takes advantage of better employment opportunities a quitter? I bet you think Lebron was a "quitter" too for going to Miami to win back to back titles.

Ya Mike Shula Mike Dubose and Dennis Franchione did wonders there

I don't think they enjoyed quite the recruiting success that Saban has enjoyed though, he pretty much hand picks recruits to make a loaded team.  And I can't blame the prospects either, if you are a defensive player, OL, RB, where else would you rather go than a team that seems to produce first round picks each year in the draft?   Going with the Kentucky theory,  just because Kentucky can recruit whoever they want and beat down teams with their second unit, doesn't mean Callipari is a better coach than a bunch of other guys out there, who try to compete with basically one arm tied behind their backs.    

Saban's system is pretty simple, he gets one of the best lines in the country on both sides of the ball. so he's going to win the trenches more times than not.   In the NFL, he won't have this ability, because more likely the teams are going to be more even in talent or even deficient (considering he'd be a new coach, and loaded teams usually don't have to make coaching changes), thus taking away his biggest strength in college football.   

No to Saban.. Major douche with thin skin. I do not trust the guyPlus, his buddy belichick filled him in on the disaster that is the NY jets.

Harbaugh is a douche and thin skinned too, but his NFL success and QB experience both coaching and playing definitely outweigh anything Saban brings to the table.

Kuuuuuubiak '15!!!!!

I don't think they enjoyed quite the recruiting success that Saban has enjoyed though, he pretty much hand picks recruits to make a loaded team.  And I can't blame the prospects either, if you are a defensive player, OL, RB, where else would you rather go than a team that seems to produce first round picks each year in the draft?   Going with the Kentucky theory,  just because Kentucky can recruit whoever they want and beat down teams with their second unit, doesn't mean Callipari is a better coach than a bunch of other guys out there, who try to compete with basically one arm tied behind their backs.    

Saban's system is pretty simple, he gets one of the best lines in the country on both sides of the ball. so he's going to win the trenches more times than not.   In the NFL, he won't have this ability, because more likely the teams are going to be more even in talent or even deficient (considering he'd be a new coach, and loaded teams usually don't have to make coaching changes), thus taking away his biggest strength in college football.   

You said any decent coach can win at Alabama...not true at all, same can be said for Florida...

Along with being a great recruiter you still have to be a good coach, saban is both.

Saban is not for the NFL, hard to teach Multi-millionaires anything.  In college he is the BOSS.

You said any decent coach can win at Alabama...not true at all, same can be said for Florida...

Along with being a great recruiter you still have to be a good coach, saban is both.

Saban is not for the NFL, hard to teach Multi-millionaires anything.  In college he is the BOSS.

I agree, it needs to be both recruiting and coaching.   

Saban is an amazing recruiter though.  I think with Florida and to an extent Texas got screwed because they didn't have a QB to lead them anywhere.  I think he's a good coach, but he's not amazing when it comes to Xs and Os because he doesn't have to be.  

I think that's why I really love Helfrich from Oregon (or Chip Kelly too before him) because they never really had top 5 recruiting classes, mostly in the teens and yet they still produced really well.  

I agree, it needs to be both recruiting and coaching.   

Saban is an amazing recruiter though.  I think with Florida and to an extent Texas got screwed because they didn't have a QB to lead them anywhere.  I think he's a good coach, but he's not amazing when it comes to Xs and Os because he doesn't have to be.  

I think that's why I really love Helfrich from Oregon (or Chip Kelly too before him) because they never really had top 5 recruiting classes, mostly in the teens and yet they still produced really well.  

well some of the stars on recruits are overrated,  the coaching eye is important.

Archived