Charley Casserly…Rex’s Savior?

JetNation

I guzzle cum because it's a mod requirement, and JiF only does it because Crusher tastes so good, but I'd only be happy about Rex staying on because it would make you so unhappy.

I also hope Jameis Winston is a perennial All-Pro.

Well said. And if it all came together and was a thing of beauty, our friend Mr.IP would not be allowed to enjoy it one bit!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Schneider_%28American_football_executive%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Idzik,_Jr.

And you guys are so big on the headhunting firm  just take a look at the difference in these two guys' resumes and how is it that we end up with a man with NOTHING worthwhile that he has done with any football team to warrant getting a job as the General Manager in the biggest media market IN THE WORLD.

Keep doing what you have been doing and you'll keep on getting what you get. Woody is an idiot to hire that man as a GM. No balls, no brains, only money is all he knows, no wonder he picked another bean counter for his GM

"With Seattle, Idzik was in charge of overseeing player negotiations, the team's compliance with the NFL salary cap, player personnel transactions, all football operations budgets, staff and team contracts"

Welcome to the discussion from 2 years ago.

NY Jets owner Woody Johnson takes first step to clean house by calling on Charley Casserly Now any doubt has just about been erased with Johnson set to retain Charley Casserly (who built a Super Bowl champion in Washington but, of course, he had Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs as his coach), as a consultant if, or more likely when, he fires Rex Ryan and John Idzik on Black Monday.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Monday, December 22, 2014, 11:14 PM
  • owners-meetings.jpgSETH WENIG/APWoody Johnson signals he is ready to move on from his current GM and coach by bringing in Charley Casserly as an advisor.

Woody Johnson stopped himself just short two weeks ago from saying what seemed to be on his mind: Rex Ryan and John Idzik will pay for this disastrous and humiliating Jets season with their jobs.

Even though he didn’t come right out with it, Johnson dropped enough hints in a long conversation with the Daily News at the league meetings in Dallas that it didn’t take much to read between the lines.

Now any doubt has just about been erased with Johnson set to retain Charley Casserly (who built a Super Bowl champion in Washington but, of course, he had Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs as his coach), as a consultant if, or more likely when, he fires Ryan and Idzik on Black Monday.

Reaching out to Casserly is a promising first step for Johnson. He also contacted Bill Polian and Ernie Accorsi in what would have the Dream Team of Jets advisors, but Polian’s job at ESPN precluded him from working for the Jets even in a temporary job and Accorsi wanted to limit his role to being a member of the NFL’s advisory committee rather than add any specific responsibilities with the Jets.

How can Johnson possibly keep Idzik now that he’s retained a respected veteran NFL front office executive all set to help him find his replacement in less than one week?

How could he turn back now and keep Idzik and look him in the eye again? Johnson doesn’t need the last game of the season in Miami or the six days until Black Monday to finalize his decision on Ryan, who has been here six years but has missed the playoffs the last four, or Idzik, who has been over his head for the two years he’s been the GM.

“Every job has its pitfalls, but the Jets GM job is a good job,” one former NFL team executive said Monday. “The biggest challenge is there’s been no long-term sustained success. There’s an angry fan base and a very angry minority of fans who have a pretty loud voice and then a media that obviously reacts to that. That’s today’s society.

myers23s-1-web.jpgRICK STEWART/GETTY IMAGESCasserly built a champion in Washington and Johnson hopes he can help the Jets make the right moves too.

The megaphone is magnified because it’s the world’s media capital and the largest city in the country and a pro football city.”

This is the second year for the career advisory committee formed by Roger Goodell to identify future GMs and coaches. Casserly is one of five former GMs on the committee along with Accorsi, Polian, Ron Wolf and Carl Peterson. The coaches on the committee are Tony Dungy, John Madden and Dennis Green.

Polian briefly worked as a consultant for Johnson two years ago, but stepped down when two candidates he picked to interview to replace Mike Tannenbaum were not interested in the job.

At the same time Polian was trying to find candidates, Johnson also had an executive search firm presenting him with possibilities. That led to Idzik. It’s not clear if Johnson will use a search firm again, but after the Idzik experience, why would he?

One thing is certain: Johnson has lost his patience.

“It’s safe to say you got to do things differently that you did to get you to this point,” he told me two weeks ago.

nydailynews_cplogo.png?t=1419105900
Sports Talk: Jets lose to New England Patriots
NY Daily News

17968366.jpg?t=1419105900

Johnson has owned the Jets for 15 years. He should have enough contacts and enough resources at his disposal within the NFL that he doesn’t need to employ a headhunter. Casserly, who is considered the hardest worker on the advisory committee, will certainly be able to give Johnson plenty of GM options. Then he could advise the new GM on coaching candidates.

“First of all, Charley has a lot of experience,” one league source said. “Second of all, he serves on the league personnel committee and he is very, very cognizant of who the good people are out there. It’s a committee of people that know and understand the business and have been successful in the business.

“It’s a much better resource than a search firm.”

Casserly is 66 and would be an excellent candidate himself to be the GM. He is from River Edge, N.J. Presumably, if he was interested in the job, he would not be acting as a consultant. Casserly is a protégé of Bobby Beathard from the days when he was his assistant in Washington. He is also close to Bill Parcells. They are good references.

Casserly doesn’t have a front office tree like Parcells, Bill Belichick and Bill Walsh have coaching trees, but he is plugged into NFL front offices.

“Woody is talking to the right people,” one source said. “I think it is a good sign. For the right guy, this could be a helluva job. It could be a real good franchise. It’s New York.”

myers23s-3-web.jpgHOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWSJohn Idzik and Rex Ryan's days with the Jets are likely numbered.

Some highly thought-of front office executives considered ready to be GMs are Chris Ballard (Chiefs), Marc Ross (Giants), Lake Dawson (Titans) and George Paton (Vikings).

Jerry Angelo, who interviewed when Idzik was hired in 2012 and when Terry Bradway was hired in 2001, should be considered again. He could run the football operation and construct a strong infrastructure. Angelo was the Bears GM from 2001-2011 and built a team that went to the Super Bowl.

Johnson has a franchise valued by Forbes at $1.8 billion. He paid $635 million in 2000. So, it’s almost tripled in value. But at some point, it would be nice to win.

“It’s hard to lose. This is the hardest year I’ve had in terms of losses,” Johnson told me. “You live and die with it. It’s been extremely painful.”

He made a mistake with Idzik. He went as far as he can with Ryan. It’s time for change and Johnson has taken the first step in the countdown to Black Monday.

Smart takes abound.

The part that I highlighted is what I have been screaming about for a few years now. How can it BE that he doesn't know -personally know 25 guys who he can call up from his cell phone contacts, any one of whom could be a GM candidate? I can man every bar in this county with the best musicians to fill the stages every night of the week-because it's the business that I'm in. The trouble with Woody is he's a pharma exec and not a football man per se.

yea well in the Jets case they sure did a heck of a job didn't they?

That wasn't the point. And I don't see many here defending Woody. The reported hire of Casserly & and a 2nd consultant (per Mehta) is the best news regarding the Jets in a long time.

That wasn't the point. And I don't see many here defending Woody. The reported hire of Casserly & and a 2nd consultant (per Mehta) is the best news regarding the Jets in a long time.

what do you mean it wasn't the point, it absolutely is JUST the point. The guy has no football instincts CMart-if he did, then how could he hire a guy with no experience in doing that job?

All you brought was Idziks resume, which everybody knew 2 years ago.

What is new about that?

what is "new" is the comparison that YOU guys all made saying "yea well the World Champion Seahawks used the same head hunting firm and they won a SB with it" You brought the Seahawks into the discussion. Not me. And it IS still relevant and all about the part of Gary Myers' article that I highlighted. I'm no Johnny-come-lately with this complaint either.

Johnson has owned the Jets for 15 years. He should have enough contacts and enough resources at his disposal within the NFL that he doesn’t need to employ a headhunter.

The part that I highlighted is what I have been screaming about for a few years now. How can it BE that he doesn't know -personally know 25 guys who he can call up from his cell phone contacts, any one of whom could be a GM candidate? I can man every bar in this county with the best musicians to fill the stages every night of the week-because it's the business that I'm in. The trouble with Woody is he's a pharma exec and not a football man per se.

He's not even a pharma exec. He went to the University of Arizona (what scion of an American royal family can't get into an ivy?), then he started some sh*tty cable TV service in Florida. He's a career loser who lives on a trust fund.

He's not even a pharma exec. He went to the University of Arizona (what scion of an American royal family can't get into an ivy?), then he started some sh*tty cable TV service in Florida. He's a career loser who lives on a trust fund.

He "worked" in fundraising and such. He was literally handed the Jets.

what is "new" is the comparison that YOU guys all made saying "yea well the World Champion Seahawks used the same head hunting firm and they won a SB with it" You brought the Seahawks into the discussion. Not me. And it IS still relevant and all about the part of Gary Myers' article that I highlighted. I'm no Johnny-come-lately with this complaint either.

Johnson has owned the Jets for 15 years. He should have enough contacts and enough resources at his disposal within the NFL that he doesn’t need to employ a headhunter.

I said nothing about the Seahawks.

You seem to criticize Woody for not having knowledge, and then criticizing when he hires someone with supposed knowledge.

And you know I have been accused of hating on Johnson because of politics, I can disagree with people on a lot of subjects and still like and / or even in some cases still love them. My complaint is the incompetence as an owner of an NFL team in the world's biggest market.

My bass player was Rush Limbaugh's personal chef for years (right up until the whole drug thing happened) and even though I hated what he was saying on the radio, I always made sure to tell people about how one day he came out to meet Tim as he drove up to work and told him that he hated his car and then proceeded to take him to a Honda dealership and buy him a brand new CRV.

As for Woody, a friend of mine from Wellington Howard (who was a friend to the daughter who died) got into a car wreck and almost lost his arm and Johnson let him go to his hospital, and never made him pay a cent and today Howie's arm is just fine. So it ain't about that stuff guys.  

I said nothing about the Seahawks.

You seem to criticize Woody for not having knowledge, and then criticizing when he hires someone with supposed knowledge.

You're right Scott it was 3 other guys who brought the Seahawks into it-sorry. I truly question that knowledge though to recommend John Idzik for that job when he clearly wasn't even close to being qualified compared to the Hawks guy. It's no wonder they won the SB with a guy with a history of KNOWING who to draft and who to sign. Then again, who really knows bro, maybe Woody Johnson actually WANTED another cap guy, figuring he did OK with the last guy with the same resume...who knows. Don't mind me, I just want what we ALL really want. To be sitting home in February watching the Jets play and win a super bowl   

my clients paid me to screen and close, not to call a a list of names

What I really am, is so ******* exhausted with watching half of this fanbase clamor for change and improvement and then the first thing out of their ******* mouths is "keep Rex".

If it makes you feel any better, "keep Rex" is usually the second thing I say. Typically preceded by "fire Idzik".

The point is look at the difference in these two GM resumes and guess which one we take and which one's team is the World Champs...any wonder?  Woody doesn't know WTF he's doing

http://en.wikipedia....ball_executive)

http://en.wikipedia..../John_Idzik,_Jr.

woody didn't have an option to hire schnieder.  I still don't see your point

but anyway

the firm's job is to identify the potential candidate pool, and "jostle" the ones who are performing well and are happy into at least talking to your client, while qualifying the candidates on income, relocation, contractual issues, personal issues, etc.  Then the clients job is to not **** up the phone interview.  then the firms job is to screen the smaller pool of interested candidates further and produce a group to interview face to face, usually 3.

then you have your typical wine and dine interview process as usual

then the client tells the firm who they want #1, #2, #3

the firms job is to close #1 of course but that doesn't always happen

so woody being in the NFL 15 years has nothing to do with what the firm offers the client

a 14 year old girl could google all the potential candidates in an afternoon

smart clients understand their weaknesses, and if it's selling the sizzle on their organization and getting the fish in the boat, they use a firm

Archived