Time to solidify Offensive Line

SouthernJet

I get that we need CBs (well 100% fro Rex scheme) and weak at QB, WR etc, but everybody is better when the OL is great. EVEN the defense as its on the field less and dont usually have to come out near midfield.

We have some talent that still has life in them, but they are aging, We have some crap that needs booting.

I would prioritize the focus on OL either via draft, FA or both to help this team in many ways.

I get that we need CBs (well 100% fro Rex scheme) and weak at QB, WR etc, but everybody is better when the OL is great. EVEN the defense as its on the field less and dont usually have to come out near midfield.

We have some talent that still has life in them, but they are aging, We have some crap that needs booting.

I would prioritize the focus on OL either via draft, FA or both to help this team in many ways.

I agree we still have some new guys like Dozier,Johnson,Ovale and so far Aboushi has played pretty good but between the draft and free agency it must be addressed..

It's like this franchise never learns.   The offense struggled when they didn't have a replacement for Kareem McKenzie.    Then it was Kendall, then it was Woody.   This team has always done well with a good OL...not sure why they continue repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results. 

We're signing Iupati and possibly drafting Scherf.

LT: Brick

LG: Iupati

C: Mangold

RG: Scherf

RT: Giacomini

Scherf played OT in college but Mayock thinks he'd fit better in at Guard - similar to Zack Martin who changed from Tackle to Guard.

that's a great OL but I hope they'd be able to trade down from 6 to get Scherff. 

Scherf played OT in college but Mayock thinks he'd fit better in at Guard - similar to Zack Martin who changed from Tackle to Guard.

You don't draft a guard at #6. If they go OL -and it wouldn't surprise me- they'll go for a potential franchise LT. Hopefully a guy who can play RT for a year or two before they let Brick walk. Move Breno inside to guard.

You don't draft a guard at #6. If they go OL -and it wouldn't surprise me- they'll go for a potential franchise LT. Hopefully a guy who can play RT for a year or two before they let Brick walk. Move Breno inside to guard.

Yes, wouldn't draft a guard (or a safety) in the 1st, unless the guy is some kind of speed demon pulling machine. Those are very rare. But the jets need to consider that Brick and Mangold are not ageless and need some help to continue to be effective. Colon is either done or needs to be a secondary guy at a way lower price. Crazy longshot idea, but a guy like Marrone as a former OL coach might be a strong consideration for this very reason. 

I could care less about fake rules made up by Internet fanboys.

Worst QB in NFL.

Worst DB's in NFL.

Amongst the worst LB in NFL (without UFA Harris).

One above average WR on the roster (Decker).

Solution:  Focus on our Mid-ranked Offensive Line.

Not how I'd do it.

Fix what's broken first, throw money/effort at the biggest weaknesses, especially QB, and bring this team to competitiveness first.

The O-line is already competitive.  We are not a 4 win tyeam because of our O-line.

We are a 4 win team because we have the worst QB in the NFL, and the worst DB's in the NFL.

When we can say we're average, at least, at QB and DB and WR, then I will happily suggest we focus on the O-line.

Till then, no, no first round Guards.  All a better O-line will do, right now with Geno Smith, is give him an extra second before he throws a bad inaccurate pass, interception or fumble.

Be smart and thrifty if O-line FA are available.  Draft O-line in the Mid-Rounds, sure.

But not the first round.

I could care less about fake rules made up by Internet fanboys.

Lol.

Just took a quick look at drafthistory.com, and the last time a guard was drafted at #6 or higher was 1975. The fanboys running NFL front offices would seem to play by those fake rules, too.

in that scenario hopefully they can move down if they want to draft an OG. 

The one thing I really learned from this past draft is that it doesn't really matter the position you draft, it all comes down to the player.   The Cowboys are ecstatic with their OG, the Rams have some buyers remorse with their OT @ 2.   If you switched draft position I think the cowboys are still happy.  

The Jets took Pryor who stinks.  Based on his play I wouldn't even want Pryor with a 3rd rd pick, I'm not sure that he's even an upgrade from Antonio Allen.  

in that scenario hopefully they can move down if they want to draft an OG. 

The one thing I really learned from this past draft is that it doesn't really matter the position you draft, it all comes down to the player.   The Cowboys are ecstatic with their OG, the Rams have some buyers remorse with their OT @ 2.   If you switched draft position I think the cowboys are still happy.  

The Jets took Pryor who stinks.  Based on his play I wouldn't even want Pryor with a 3rd rd pick, I'm not sure that he's even an upgrade from Antonio Allen.

You can get great guards in free agency at a reasonable cost. That's what makes them a poor value in the first round, especially high. Same can be said for safety. Obviously, you need to hit on the player (Vernon Gholston played a premium position, *ouch*), but you should be trying to find a premium player at a premium position at #6. QB, LT, DL, and maybe WR is what traditionally goes that high. For good reason. Top guys at those positions don't hit free agency very often, and if they do, they're extremely expensive.

Would hate to see a guard at 6. If Winston and Cooper are gone, prefer an elite pass rusher like Fowler

in the 1st round of this coming draft, the 2 players that interest me after Mariota are Shane Ray the Pass rusher from Missouri and Brandon Schreff the LT from Iowa.

At Wr I really like Ty Montgomery / 2nd or 3rd round

At CB I really like Bryce Callahan / 5th or 6th round

Worst QB in NFL.

Worst DB's in NFL.

Amongst the worst LB in NFL (without UFA Harris).

One above average WR on the roster (Decker).

Solution: Focus on our Mid-ranked Offensive Line.

Not how I'd do it.

Fix what's broken first, throw money/effort at the biggest weaknesses, especially QB, and bring this team to competitiveness first.

The O-line is already competitive. We are not a 4 win tyeam because of our O-line.

We are a 4 win team because we have the worst QB in the NFL, and the worst DB's in the NFL.

When we can say we're average, at least, at QB and DB and WR, then I will happily suggest we focus on the O-line.

Till then, no, no first round Guards. All a better O-line will do, right now with Geno Smith, is give him an extra second before he throws a bad inaccurate pass, interception or fumble.

Be smart and thrifty if O-line FA are available. Draft O-line in the Mid-Rounds, sure.

But not the first round.

The top QBs won't be there when we pick, and there are good DBs to be had in free agency. We've the cap space to get them, and the cheap f*ck GM is gone.

So with that said, the smart route is going O-Line with the top pick. With a lesser QB your line needs to be more than middle of the road. They need to be capable of taking over games.

Case in point: the Dallas Cowboys.

However going O-Line with a top 10 pick means you go for the premium position. That's LT. I wouldnt go with a guard.

In 2006 when we drafted BRICK...  I remember the crowd sullen for about 10 seconds.  Then they cheered as even the average fan now gets it. We need OLINE. Brick, Mangold, Faneca, Woody etc...we had a GREAT OLINE in 2009 and 2010.

The top QBs won't be there when we pick, and there are good DBs to be had in free agency. We've the cap space to get them, and the cheap f*ck GM is gone.

So with that said, the smart route is going O-Line with the top pick. With a lesser QB your line needs to be more than middle of the road. They need to be capable of taking over games.

Case in point: the Dallas Cowboys.

However going O-Line with a top 10 pick means you go for the premium position. That's LT. I wouldnt go with a guard.

Brandon Schreff is a LT, and probably the best 1 coming out.  He's nothing like Brick either because he's mean and his strength is in run blocking while being solid as a pass protector. It's why some talking think he'll be better at OG.

The O-line is already competitive.  We are not a 4 win tyeam because of our O-line.

OL competitive? We watched different games and they are aging to boot. IMHO..Lots of 3rd and 1's didnt get made.. lots...one more time, lots.

Great OLs almost always make 9 win teams even w/medicore QBs,,,sanchez as a Jet anyone'?

You can get great guards in free agency at a reasonable cost. That's what makes them a poor value in the first round, especially high. Same can be said for safety. Obviously, you need to hit on the player (Vernon Gholston played a premium position, *ouch*), but you should be trying to find a premium player at a premium position at #6. QB, LT, DL, and maybe WR is what traditionally goes that high. For good reason. Top guys at those positions don't hit free agency very often, and if they do, they're extremely expensive.

I understand the theory, I just think that people over think the whole thing with these silly rules. Keep in mind that this theory is a remnant of the previous CBA salary structure.  The new rookie wage scale makes this much less of an issue. 

There are so many reaches at premium positions b/c of this line of thinking.   I think ANY non-kicking pro-bowl player is a good draft pick regardless of position or draft placement.  It's all about picking players not which position they play.     

Archived