Now is the chance...

JustInFudge

To go all in for Urban Meyer. He is the best coach in all of Football. An ego maniac with nothing left to prove but that he can do it an the NFL level.

Go all in. Open the check book. Make it happen.

Just saw a note that said he's got over 60 four or five star recruits on that OSU roster right now. He's not going anywhere.

He's someone that interests me, but I see no reason for him to leave.  The BigTen is a joke next year as well, would be shocked if the Buckeyes aren't back in the championship game.  He has great recruiting, and besides the seniors, no one of note on his team has decided to leave the team this year.  That team is stocked for the next couple of years, so he can wait, have a dynasty there, and then wait for the right job to open up.   If he's interested in moving, I'd love to see him here.  Or Helfrich for all that matter.  

FWIW - guys like Urban get bored. He's proven he's the best college has to offer, he's just the type to prove he can do it at the next level.

He and BB are close friends, a reporter asked BB about Meyer switching leagues and he said that Meyer was very happy in college and was not interested in the pros. He is home, coaching  in the college he got where he got his masters.

With Harbaugh heading to Michigan to rebuild the OSU-Michigan rivalry, and all the money pouring in from the College Football playoff, it makes more sense to be a god in a slightly smaller pool than just another guy in the pros.

Ohio state is not a step down from the pros. In the northeast we are a pro-centric fan base. Why the hell would Harbough, Saban, Petrino, Shaw etx stay where they are or go back?

To go all in for Urban Meyer. He is the best coach in all of Football. An ego maniac with nothing left to prove but that he can do it an the NFL level.

Go all in. Open the check book. Make it happen.

I don't see him making the change, but I would be all for it.

Ohio state is not a step down from the pros. In the northeast we are a pro-centric fan base. Why the hell would Harbough, Saban, Petrino, Shaw etx stay where they are or go back?

It's definitely a step down but not a huge one.  Your argument goes both ways,  If the NFL wasn't a step up, guys like Saban, Petrino, Spurrier, etc would never have tried to take the step up in the first place, and Pete Carroll would still be at USC.  Sunday is a man's game, and coaches who dominate at college tend to at least want to see if they can lead professionals rather than 18-22 year old kids.

It's definitely a step down but not a huge one.  Your argument goes both ways,  If the NFL wasn't a step up, guys like Saban, Petrino, Spurrier, etc would never have tried to take the step up in the first place, and Pete Carroll would still be at USC.  Sunday is a man's game, and coaches who dominate at college tend to at least want to see if they can lead professionals rather than 18-22 year old kids.

All of them were given huge money to do so, the top 20 colleges now pay NFL money, when you combine it with the housing, speaking engagements from the boosters, and pensions (which nfl coaches don't have)  Even thier radio and tv shows are shot on the colleges dime.

He and BB are close friends, a reporter asked BB about Meyer switching leagues and he said that Meyer was very happy in college and was not interested in the pros. He is home, coaching in the college he got where he got his masters.

Yeah, I've heard him talk about his passion for the college game over the pros but he also has a monster ego. I could see him wanting the challenge.

Though, he did leave the SEC because he couldn't handle the grind of the schedule, so maybe not.

All of them were given huge money to do so, the top 20 colleges now pay NFL money, when you combine it with the housing, speaking engagements from the boosters, and pensions (which nfl coaches don't have)  Even thier radio and tv shows are shot on the colleges dime.

Again, I'm not saying it's a significant step down.  The money gap is closing.  But it's not ALL about money to college coaches. 

We all hear about the Peter Principle for bad employees.  A corollary to that is when the Peter Principle doesn't apply to someone, or the person hasn't reached his level of incompetence.  They either get so good at what they do they become bored and move on to something else - such as people like Leonardo Da Vinci and Thomas Jefferson dipping their hands into a little bit of everything, or Michael Jordan when he tried baseball -  OR they try to take the next step up the ladder. 

In this case, NFL coaching is a much more challenging operation than college football.  Whereas coaches get to pick their players in college (and many times their reputation proceeds them to the point where they barely have to do much work to get a 5-star kid to commit), NFL HC's have to deal with front offices making the majority of the decisions.  Some elite college coaches want to give that challenge a shot to see if they can succeed LIKE a Pete Carroll has.  Others stay put.  But money is no longer the biggest consideration in that decision.

Archived