Contrarian View: Media gushing over Rex in Buffalo, why...?

ebonix

Most media outlets are gushing praise on Buffalo for hiring REX.  Boomer Esiason thinks he will have a big impact there.

... I am taking the contrarian view..... I think he will be a 6-10 coach and those fans will be highly disappointed in him.  He has no QB again, no 1st

round pick.... and he is laughing all the way to the bank; for pulling a P.T. Barnum carnival job on them.  Discuss.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most media outlets are gushing praise on Buffalo for hiring REX.  Boomer Esiason thinks he will have a big impact there.

... I am taking the contrarian view..... I think he will be a 6-10 coach and those fans will be highly disappointed in him.  He has no QB again, no 1st

round pick.... and he is laughing all the way to the bank; for pulling a P.T. Barnum carnival job on them.  Discuss.

I agree. I believe in Rex as a coach, but he seriously needs to get a QB. What I will say is that when he was with us he had nothing outside of a running game. The Bills running game isn't as solid as the Jets but he has a sh*t load of WR's and a better offensive line. If he is able to pick up a serviceable QB in FA he will have a chance to do better than 6-10. That defense overall is better than ours too. Don't forget that he has Kiko Alonzo coming back this year from his injury. 

I dont think this decision was as good as him taking the Atlanta Job, but the Bills are a better football team talent wise than the Jets for sure. 

LOL.  He is under better scenario than when he took over the Jets.  The Bills front seven are loaded plus he has stephon gilmore on the outside is very comparable to Revis when Rex took over in 2009. The Jets in 09 had to compete upfront with the like of Pouha, Devito, Douglas. On offense at the very least EJ is not a TO machine as was the case with Sanchez.  Gregg Roman made something out of Colin Kaepernick and Alex Smith and it is fair to say he will do the same with EJ. 

Rex has a lot of friends in the media, he is very open and willing to talk and that makes their job easy. The local media is something else as you can't say too many positive things about a coach when you have discussed his faults over 6 years. Rex is a likeable guy and most guys want a guy they like to succeed.

Rex really is a good defensive coach.  Their defense will get even better.  But their offense, not so much. But they still may be better than us.

As a Jets fan, I was SO happy when they traded this year's first round pick.  Now, they have no QB and not much of a chance of drafting one either.  They will have a top five defense and a bottom five offense.  Sound familiar?

Rex really is a good defensive coach. Their defense will get even better. But their offense, not so much. But they still may be better than us.

As a Jets fan, I was SO happy when they traded this year's first round pick. Now, they have no QB and not much of a chance of drafting one either. They will have a top five defense and a bottom five offense. Sound familiar?

They had an elite defense last year and now in swoops Rex to change them into a 3-4 and try to fit square pegs in round holes. Their defense will be worse next season.

LOL.  He is under better scenario than when he took over the Jets.  The Bills front seven are loaded plus he has stephon gilmore on the outside very comparable to Revis when Rex took over in 2009. The Jets in 09 had to compete upfront with the like of Pouha, Devito, Douglas. On offense at the very least EJ is not a TO machine as was the case with Sanchez.  Gregg Roman made something out of Colin Kaepernick and Alex Smith and it is fair to say he will do the same with EJ. 

What! Gilmore after 3 seasons in no way can be compared to Revis after 1 never mind two years.. Revis was already a probowl player and one of the top CB in the game. Rex utilized him much better than Mangini. Plus Gilmore is a better zone man off corner than his is press man on which Rex employs

They had an elite defense last year and now in swoops Rex to change them into a 3-4 and try to fit square pegs in round holes. Their defense will be worse next season.

Yes it will as they transition to a 3-4, way to go out on a limb. They are not going to challenge for a SB next year whether they switched to a 3-4 or not.

Yes it will as they transition to a 3-4, way to go out on a limb. They are not going to challenge for a SB next year whether they switched to a 3-4 or not.

The post I quoted said "their defense will get even better".

What is it with Pats' fans and reading comprehension?

It's tough to project the season right now, considering the current one isn't over yet. There is a full offseason ahead. There could be trades, and theres still the draft,  free agency all to go. I doubt our roster will look the same come time for training camp, so we'll see. That goes for the Jets too. Who knows whats gonna happen between now and when camp begins. 

Well, the season before, we ran a hybrid 3-4 under Pettine, which was basically Rex's D and were still extremely good. I have ZERO worries about the defense. There is so much talent there, Rex is good enough with defense to make it work. That's the last thing I'm worried about, the defense will be fine. We didn't run a true 4-3 anyway. 

Well, the season before, we ran a hybrid 3-4 under Pettine, which was basically Rex's D and were still extremely good. I have ZERO worries about the defense. There is so much talent there, Rex is good enough with defense to make it work. That's the last thing I'm worried about, the defense will be fine. We didn't run a true 4-3 anyway.

I wouldn't be sweating the D either if my starting QB was the only one worse than Geno.

I wouldn't be sweating the D either if my starting QB was the only one worse than Geno.

Again, the season isn't even over yet. I don't think anyone can say right now for sure Manuel is our starter. Even so, he hasn't even started a seasons worth of games in his career yet. 

Don't mind rexihaters, the Jets in 09 had zero pass rush I mean nada.  We had to compete with Pouha, Devito Douglas, Green.  All the pressure was generated by Rex's exotic blitz that turned our defense into number one in the league. A year prior, under Mangini (defensive "guru"), the Jets defense were horrible ranked at the bottom. 

This is typical of Wrecks.

He does not have the football IQ to understand that good HC's in the NFL develop schemes around the personnel they have, and not the other way around.

Wrecks is so overrated as a defensive guru, it's not even funny.

That Bills defense was very good last year, it will be much worse this year under Wrecks.

The post I quoted said "their defense will get even better".

What is it with Pats' fans and reading comprehension?

I have no problem with comprehension.  The poster said the bills defense will get better under Rex and it will eventually.  Not next year during the transition, but going forward I think so, I think Rex will exert influence in the draft and I think they will get him the players he needs to run his system.

Boomer?.......Big impact?......dude, the Bills are screwed because they have NO QB.....and Rex is absolutely clueless.......mark in down...Bills finish 5-11 in 2015. Looking forward to hearing is post game pressers......what a joke.

Boomer?.......Big impact?......dude, the Bills are screwed because they have NO QB.....and Rex is absolutely clueless.......mark in down...Bills finish 5-11 in 2015. Looking forward to hearing is post game pressers......what a joke.

Gotta love a Jets fan claiming another team does not have a QB.

This is typical of Wrecks.

He does not have the football IQ to understand that good HC's in the NFL develop schemes around the personnel they have, and not the other way around.

Wrecks is so overrated as a defensive guru, it's not even funny.

That Bills defense was very good last year, it will be much worse this year under Wrecks.

And what did BB do with Carroll's defense? You go with the system you have, players leave every year.  The year before when they ran a 3-4.

I have no problem with comprehension. The poster said the bills defense will get better under Rex and it will eventually. Not next year during the transition, but going forward I think so, I think Rex will exert influence in the draft and I think they will get him the players he needs to run his system.

You think they'll get him Hall of Fame corners?

I have no problem with comprehension. The poster said the bills defense will get better under Rex and it will eventually. Not next year during the transition, but going forward I think so, I think Rex will exert influence in the draft and I think they will get him the players he needs to run his system.

What influence in the draft? It's been well documented by rex through Mehta that Rex had zero control or influence over who is on his roster.

Don't mind rexihaters, the Jets in 09 had zero pass rush I mean nada.  We had to compete with Pouha, Devito Douglas, Green.  All the pressure was generated by Rex's exotic blitz that turned our defense into number one in the league. A year prior, under Mangini (defensive "guru"), the Jets defense were horrible ranked at the bottom. 

And for his 6 year tenure it remained that we had no pass rush to speak of.  Rex's exotic blitzes were all we had, and if he didn't feel like drawing them up for a given week, the opposing QB could set up a nice picnic lunch between the tackles while the CBs were expected to carry the load.  That's a risk the Bills will face when they're playing anyone not named Brady (and now probably Smith).

Bills fans will soon learn that the Gipper is dead and you can only rah rah team up so many times in a season to get them to play better than they can on emotion.  They'll learn that that trick plays that make a team look dominant in the first half get stale about 5 minutes into the third quarter, and that a great personality can't hide a lack of fundamentals for very long.

Until then, it's a honeymoon, and that's why they're gushing over him.

Fact check: NYJ 2008 defense was ranked 18 in pts and 16 in yds.  That's mediocre, ranked right in the middle, not horrible or ranked anywhere near the bottom.  (In addition, our best DEF PTS ranking in the past 4 years is 19th - that is 4 years of failing to achieve the standard set by that "guru" Mangini.)

Archived