One Scout's Take On New York Jets GM Mike Maccagnan

32EBoozer

Boy, I was happy I read this... I feel a Lot better about this hire the more I hear about the guy!

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/1/15/7551067/one-scouts-take-on-mike-maccagnan

The more I read about New York Jets GM Mike Maccagnan, the more I like the hire. I was already on board with his hiring before the announcement was made, but now I like it even more. I was sent this article by Greg Gabriel, which details his experience working with Mike when they were both scouts, and it really does make interesting reading.

Here is a snippet of the article, but I encourage you all to head over and read it in full:

I first met Mike on a school call in the late 1990's when I was with the New York Giants, and he was with Washington. You learn a lot about a scout when you are on the road with them. You see their work habits, how diligent they are, how professional they are. Trust me, scouts "scout" other scouts. They know who is good and who "goes through the motions". Mike Maccagnan is as hard a worker as there is when he is on the road. He always was one of the first scouts in the building and the last to leave. When the "pro liaison" came in to talk about the prospects, Mike would ask important pertinent questions, not the typical scouting questions.

When you make school calls, there are typically two or three meeting rooms the school makes available for scouts to watch game tape. Generally, many of the scouts gather in one room where they watch tape but many also have a high degree of conversation. Maccagnan was not one of those guys. He would go into a room either by himself or with a few veteran scouts, where he knew he could make the best use of his time. When practice began, Mike, again, would be by himself watching practice, where he could have full concentration on the task at hand. That is one thing I always respected about him when I was with him at various schools. I saw first-hand how important it was to him to not waste his time and get the evaluation right.

When you combine all this with the rumour that he is set to clear house in the scouting department, I'm not sure he could have made a better first impression with the fanbase

Boy, I was happy I read this... I feel a Lot better about this hire the more I hear about the guy!

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/1/15/7551067/one-scouts-take-on-mike-maccagnan

The more I read about New York Jets GM Mike Maccagnan, the more I like the hire. I was already on board with his hiring before the announcement was made, but now I like it even more. I was sent this article by Greg Gabriel, which details his experience working with Mike when they were both scouts, and it really does make interesting reading.

Here is a snippet of the article, but I encourage you all to head over and read it in full:

I first met Mike on a school call in the late 1990's when I was with the New York Giants, and he was with Washington. You learn a lot about a scout when you are on the road with them. You see their work habits, how diligent they are, how professional they are. Trust me, scouts "scout" other scouts. They know who is good and who "goes through the motions". Mike Maccagnan is as hard a worker as there is when he is on the road. He always was one of the first scouts in the building and the last to leave. When the "pro liaison" came in to talk about the prospects, Mike would ask important pertinent questions, not the typical scouting questions.

When you make school calls, there are typically two or three meeting rooms the school makes available for scouts to watch game tape. Generally, many of the scouts gather in one room where they watch tape but many also have a high degree of conversation. Maccagnan was not one of those guys. He would go into a room either by himself or with a few veteran scouts, where he knew he could make the best use of his time. When practice began, Mike, again, would be by himself watching practice, where he could have full concentration on the task at hand. That is one thing I always respected about him when I was with him at various schools. I saw first-hand how important it was to him to not waste his time and get the evaluation right.

When you combine all this with the rumour that he is set to clear house in the scouting department, I'm not sure he could have made a better first impression with the fanbase

The jets scouting dept needs an overhaul. Other teams build through the draft but it's hard to do when 80% of your picks do not perform to expectations

I had no interest in this guy, I felt there were at least 5 or 6 other guys we could have landed that were much more qualified. BUT, I said before he was hired that whomever we brought in I would support. What concerns me is there is nothing that I can point to regarding him being a good talent evaluator. The last 5 to 6 drafts in Houston yielded very little. He scored on Watt, Cushing is an injury case, and I like that WR from 2013. But he doesn't have the late round gems you look for in an elite scouting guy.

I had no interest in this guy, I felt there were at least 5 or 6 other guys we could have landed that were much more qualified. BUT, I said before he was hired that whomever we brought in I would support. What concerns me is there is nothing that I can point to regarding him being a good talent evaluator. The last 5 to 6 drafts in Houston yielded very little. He scored on Watt, Cushing is an injury case, and I like that WR from 2013. But he doesn't have the late round gems you look for in an elite scouting guy.

Are you sure there were 5 or 6 other guys INTERESTED in the job??  I recall several who declined interviews.  Just because there were other names out there doesn't mean we had a legit shot at them. Also it wasn't like he was making the picks himself. I would assume it was the GM and Coach who had the final say on who to draft... 

Are you sure there were 5 or 6 other guys INTERESTED in the job??  I recall several who declined interviews.  Just because there were other names out there doesn't mean we had a legit shot at them. Also it wasn't like he was making the picks himself. I would assume it was the GM and Coach who had the final say on who to draft...

I would like to know who declined to interview specifically with the Jets.

It sucks that the Jets get a personnel guy to be GM the year after they have 12 picks. If Mac has as good an eye as they say he does its a shame he has only 6 picks to work with this year.

Right?! At some point our luck has to change!

Maybe this is the Sea Change we've been waiting for.

The jets scouting dept needs an overhaul. Other teams build through the draft but it's hard to do when 80% of your picks do not perform to expectations

Overhaul? They need to be  kicked in the ass each step they take towards the door, all their belongings should be thrown into the parking lot.

I would like to know who declined to interview specifically with the Jets.

Kansas City Chiefs director of player personnel Chris Ballard and New Orleans Saints director of player personnel Ryan Pace declined invitations to interview for the job, it was confirmed. The NFL Network first reported them.

Previously, Baltimore Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta and Minnesota Vikings assistant GM George Paton said no to the Jets.

Taken from ESPN.com

I know Pace went to Chicago - so that's 1 that said No to the Jets and went elsewhere, no idea if the other guys turned down other teams or just the Jets.

You gotta admit, even with 40 mil in cap space and a number 6 pick, people are weary of getting pulled into the Woody Johnson circus.

Kansas City Chiefs director of player personnel Chris Ballard and New Orleans Saints director of player personnel Ryan Pace declined invitations to interview for the job, it was confirmed. The NFL Network first reported them.

Previously, Baltimore Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta and Minnesota Vikings assistant GM George Paton said no to the Jets.

Taken from ESPN.com

I know Pace went to Chicago - so that's 1 that said No to the Jets and went elsewhere, no idea if the other guys turned down other teams or just the Jets.

You gotta admit, even with 40 mil in cap space and a number 6 pick, people are weary of getting pulled into the Woody Johnson circus.

Ballard and pace specifically wanted Chicago and took an interview with only the Bears and no other team. Pace surprised everyone who thought Ballard Was a shoe in for the job and pace got it, ballard ended up with nothing. Paton and de costa turned down every team that requested an interview and stayed where they were.

It sucks that the Jets get a personnel guy to be GM the year after they have 12 picks. If Mac has as good an eye as they say he does its a shame he has only 6 picks to work with this year.

He's a hard worker but that doesn't necessarily means he's successful or has a good eye. His recent drafts haven't yielded much, although not sure who to put that blame on (GM, HC, Mac).

Secondly, we're only out a 6th rounder from a full quota of picks. Hardly anything of a concern.

Mike T was all about drafting quality over quantity, but that formula can only work if you make the right picks. It did for a few drafts n then it started to fade away, resulting in talent deficiency. Having 12 picks mean nothing if you're Idzik. That was such a terrible job. Jets didn't even have roster spot for 12 guys. Should've used the damn brain n traded up. Then again, he knew very little about "talent evaluation". I can go on n on.

Ballard and pace specifically wanted Chicago and took an interview with only the Bears and no other team. Pace surprised everyone who thought Ballard Was a shoe in for the job and pace got it, ballard ended up with nothing. Paton and de costa turned down every team that requested an interview and stayed where they were.

Your facts are screwing up the narrative. Please cease and desist.

He's a hard worker but that doesn't necessarily means he's successful or has a good eye. His recent drafts haven't yielded much, although not sure who to put that blame on (GM, HC, Mac).

Secondly, we're only out a 6th rounder from a full quota of picks. Hardly anything of a concern.

Mike T was all about drafting quality over quantity, but that formula can only work if you make the right picks. It did for a few drafts n then it started to fade away, resulting in talent deficiency. Having 12 picks mean nothing if you're Idzik. That was such a terrible job. Jets didn't even have roster spot for 12 guys. Should've used the damn brain n traded up. Then again, he knew very little about "talent evaluation". I can go on n on.

That 6th changes to a 4th rounder if we keep Harvin. To me that's a tough egg to swallow. Curious to see what Maccagnan's, Bowles and Gailey's assessment of Harvin is.

They may want to keep the 4th rd. pick and bring in a Maclin for the same price.

I know I would.

Your facts are screwing up the narrative. Please cease and desist.

No, I think he pretty much nailed it on the head.

Taken from ESPN.com

don't you think sometimes when people decline positions is because they don't have the balls to run the show on their own (they are afraid of failure) and need other people to do it and look good hiding in the closet.  Give support to Mike Maccagnan for standing on his own and accepting the job.  That's a man who wants to lead and set his legacy as the one who change the JETS culture and took them to the promise land.  We don't know if he will be that guy but damn you have to respect him and give him that chance.  The guys that are afraid to take the JETS jobs are weak links and you don't need that kind of leadership.  PERIOD. lets go Mike and Todd

nothing against you MathewPLP

don't you think sometimes when people decline positions is because they don't have the balls to run the show on their own (they are afraid of failure) and need other people to do it and look good heading in the closet.  Give support to Mike Maccagnan for standing on his own and accepting the job.  That's a man who wants to lead and set his legacy as the one who change the JETS culture and took them to the promise land.  We don't know if he will be that guy but damn you have to respect him and give him that chance.  The guys that are afraid to take the JETS jobs are weak links and you don't need that kind of leadership.  PERIOD. lets go Mike and Todd

nothing against you MathewPLP

While I agree with you that it takes balls to sit on the Jets Throne... a 3,000% bump in pay certainly would help my balls grow exponentially in size.

Heck, I'd sign a contract today to be a GM... I'll probably suck and be fired... but at least I'd have that 3 yr. guaranteed contract to fall back on when I get canned 3 weeks into my job.

Taken from ESPN.com

These quotes are jokes without context. 

Decosta is NEVER leaving Balt & declined and has declined every interview request from every team over the last 2-3 years. 

Patton seems to be the air apparent in Minny & declined interviews with other teams as well. 

Pace & Ballard each only interviewed with the Bears. Shows that they really wanted that Bears position. So I guess you only have 2 names really, that declined the Jets. A far cry from the several mentioned earlier in this thread. 

That 6th changes to a 4th rounder if we keep Harvin. To me that's a tough egg to swallow. Curious to see what Maccagnan's, Bowles and Gailey's assessment of Harvin is.

They may want to keep the 4th rd. pick and bring in a Maclin for the same price.

I know I would.

Yeah I think Harvin can be a huge headache, and at 10+ mil a yr, Id rather bring in a guy who is more consistent and we don't lose an earlier pick. I like Maclin too.

Then how do we know our scouting department isn't any good?

We don't. That's the point. If our new GM is sh*tcanning them, that's probably a decent indicator. The only thing we know for sure is Idzik sucked at his job and he and whomever was heavily involved in the drafting of players was subpar. We just have to wait and see with anyone that's new and unproven.

Then how do we know our scouting department isn't any good?

26-38 past 4 seasons18-30 the past 3 and 4-12 this year are slight indicators

So is the 2014 draft

So is our QB situation

So is our secondary situation

I can go on if you'd like.

Exactly. McC cant be blamed for who picks who. He was a scout not the end of all GM.

26-38 past 4 seasons18-30 the past 3 and 4-12 this year are slight indicators

So is the 2014 draft

So is our QB situation

So is our secondary situation

I can go on if you'd like.

I don't disagree with a word you're saying...but I was responding to someone's position that you can't judge our new GM by the performance of Houston's draft.  

They haven't had a whole lot of success or won very much....

yes Mac might become a very good GM (I'm happy with him) and he might be a good scout and the Texans GM made the call - but I think it's reasonable to look at Houston's draft and make some judgements about him.

Archived