Will Coples be our Calais Campbell?

DaBallhawk

IMO most of Coples big plays , come off a missed blocking assignment. Most of the time when a LT gets a hand on him, he is like a lamb.

I don't see that to be the case at all....He beats or overpowers the OL often.  He's a good player and people making him out to be lazy or bad just aren't paying attention.

He was dominant when he played DT when Mo was out.  Shame on Rex for not figuring out a way to use him better.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you can get teams to give a 4th for Coples, The team would have him for one year and 1.5 mill and if he warrants it a 5th year option for about 7 mill.  Maybe Tampa will give a 5th (which is almost a forth) As Bowers and Claiborne are Both FA and neither has worked out.

Was that the same game where Geno had a perfect passer rating?  I watch every game as you know and was actually on the field during the particular game you mentioned. Coples comes on when he wants to come on. When he wants to he can be dominant. He also disappears for long periods. That was the knock on him coming out of college and very little has changed no matter what position he's playing.

I agree he's been out of position and hope just like you that a return (which hasn't been mentioned by the new staff yet) to the line will bring more consistent play, but to justify trading an above average D lineman in Wilk with the backup plan being Coples is a little too risky in my book.

I dont want to trade Wilkerson. If he's willing to stay for the right amount of money then I prefer that he stays. Im not trying to push him out of a moving car if you will. But lets be serious, you're on the forums just like me. You see people talking about "just throw him 85 million dollars". Its ridiculous man. He's not even 85% of JJ Watt so you dont pay him 85% of his money. I said earlier that if he can sign for 45-50 million on a 5 year deal max then pull the trigger, but if he thinks that he's worth 65-85 million dollars then you damn right you have Wilk kick rocks and put in Coples. 

The knock on him coming out of college is irrelevant at this point. Everyone's a critic. If these critics were all correct then JJ Watt would have been #1 in the draft and Wilson would have been a 1st round pick. The only thing relevant here is that Coples has been playing out of position for 2 of the 3 years that he's been a pro. You can't critique a guy saying he's "not good at what he's obviously good at" by using the very thing (OLB position) that he's not good at. 

The fact that Geno had a perfect passer rating shows that there's talent. The fact that Sanchez did as much in regards to career highlights in 5 games with Philly that he had accumulated in 5 years in new york isn't an indictment on Mark Sanchez but the coaching staff. Geno could very well be a system QB, nothing wrong with that. I remember when Kurt Warner was looking like the worst QB anyone has ever seen with the Giants only after looking like one of the best QB's anyone has ever seen with the Rams. He goes and signs with Arizona and he's back to looking like the man. Imagine if Kurt Warner started his career with the Giants and that offensive scheme. Now imagine Geno Smith starting his career in an offense that he understands with proven coaches that gets the most out of their players. 

Like I said, people can discredit Geno's QBR in week 17 as well as Coples performance and chalk it up to it being "week 17" or "when they feel like it". When no one develops for years then thats a coaching problem. When Vick and Pryor can both say publicly that they didnt practice and wasnt ready thats a coaching problem. I guess that dont count. 

It's interesting having this debate with you because I agree with MOST of what you're saying and tend to lean toward your line of thinking in my own assessments of these same situations. The problem I have is with the concrete nature and irreversible aspects of what you're saying.

What you are doing, while remaining in the realm of the possible, is utilizing potentials as a basis for making a decision which can not be undone. I'm a big believer in " a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" mentality.

I like Coples as much as the next guy, but to say that because he was out of position that signifies a solid foundation for believing he will be worthy of trading and replacing Mo when placed back on the line is all imaginary and without evidence outside of a few flashes. Coples' potential is obvious, but his inconsistent play coming out of college is not something to discount entirely. He has been inconsistent and that was the knock. Out of position, yes. I'll even add that he was injured as well and that could further be considered. But all of these reasons for inconsistency do not create a reality where it's a definite that he will suddenly be consistent when the scenario changes. Possible ? Sure. But in no way does it create a firm basis for trading a young and energetic player like Mo.

Also a game is a game is a game I agree, but week 17 between two teams who are out of the playoff picture can not be valued in the same manner in which a game with real implications can.It's simply not the same.  It's similar to the way QB's and WR's can pad their stats while Defenses are in prevent while up by 3 scores. It's stats and it did happen in a game but it's not the same as when the game meant something. The guy who gets his sacks when the other team is down 3 scores and they have to pass kinda thing.

Sanchez ruined the Eagles chances at a playoff run. That's that. He looked good at times as he did with the Jets too, but he blew it in similar fashion as he did with us. Terrible and he will more than likely be a FA shortly.

I am hopeful that the new coaches will be more in line with placing players in the right positions to siucceed as well and also crave a real "coaching up" situation with the Jets. it's been too long and I agree with everything you are saying in that regard.

I dont want to trade Wilkerson. If he's willing to stay for the right amount of money then I prefer that he stays. Im not trying to push him out of a moving car if you will. But lets be serious, you're on the forums just like me. You see people talking about "just throw him 85 million dollars". Its ridiculous man. He's not even 85% of JJ Watt so you dont pay him 85% of his money. I said earlier that if he can sign for 45-50 million on a 5 year deal max then pull the trigger, but if he thinks that he's worth 65-85 million dollars then you damn right you have Wilk kick rocks and put in Coples. 

Wilk will get 11 mill, easy as a FA. Look at Atkins from Cinci he got 11 mill out of a 118 mill cap, Wilkenson will get the same from a 142 mill cap. You have to look at it from a position of percentage of cap. Atkins got 9%, WilK will get 7%, or are you arguing that Cinci spends too much money :wild: , or that Wilk is not 80% the player that Atkins is? 

It's interesting having this debate with you because I agree with MOST of what you're saying and tend to lean toward your line of thinking in my own assessments of these same situations. The problem I have is with the concrete nature and irreversible aspects of what you're saying.

What you are doing, while remaining in the realm of the possible, is utilizing potentials as a basis for making a decision which can not be undone. I'm a big believer in " a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" mentality.

I like Coples as much as the next guy, but to say that because he was out of position that signifies a solid foundation for believing he will be worthy of trading and replacing Mo when placed back on the line is all imaginary and without evidence outside of a few flashes. Coples' potential is obvious, but his inconsistent play coming out of college is not something to discount entirely. He has been inconsistent and that was the knock. Out of position, yes. I'll even add that he was injured as well and that could further be considered. But all of these reasons for inconsistency do not create a reality where it's a definite that he will suddenly be consistent when the scenario changes. Possible ? Sure. But in no way does it create a firm basis for trading a young and energetic player like Mo.

Also a game is a game is a game I agree, but week 17 between two teams who are out of the playoff picture can not be valued in the same manner in which a game with real implications can.It's simply not the same.  It's similar to the way QB's and WR's can pad their stats while Defenses are in prevent while up by 3 scores. It's stats and it did happen in a game but it's not the same as when the game meant something. The guy who gets his sacks when the other team is down 3 scores and they have to pass kinda thing.

Sanchez ruined the Eagles chances at a playoff run. That's that. He looked good at times as he did with the Jets too, but he blew it in similar fashion as he did with us. Terrible and he will more than likely be a FA shortly.

I am hopeful that the new coaches will be more in line with placing players in the right positions to siucceed as well and also crave a real "coaching up" situation with the Jets. it's been too long and I agree with everything you are saying in that regard.

Nice post

I wouldn't trade Mo for Foles - Foles isn't the answer - you're not winning a Super Bowl with him (especially if you're giving up your best defensive player)

you may have to pay Mo $10-$12

IMHO, you do not pay 12 mil for a lineman unless he is a 15-20 sack guy

How do you know Foles isn't the answer? Whats wrong with Foles? Question, we won 4 games with Mo Wilkerson this year with Geno as our QB, do you think that we would have won less games with Foles at QB and Coples at DE? Seriously, think about that. 

I wouldnt go anywhere over 10 million a year, and I wouldnt do a 6 year deal I would do 5. Give him a 5 year 45-50 million dollar deal max.  

Give him the 6th yr.... The back end of contracts 5,6,7 years are all smoke and mirrors given so the player can save face with his peers.

It's an accounting ploy.

Give Mo a 7 yr. $90mil contract with a nice SB up front( $8 mil) and yearly avg. of $9,$10 &$11 mil the first 3 years and bonuses tied to games played/ workout bonuses etc. Have the Cap Charge &Dead money the last 2/3 years be minimal. Everybody wins and we keep a great Jet player

Was that the same game where Geno had a perfect passer rating?  I watch every game as you know and was actually on the field during the particular game you mentioned. Coples comes on when he wants to come on. When he wants to he can be dominant. He also disappears for long periods. That was the knock on him coming out of college and very little has changed no matter what position he's playing.

I agree he's been out of position and hope just like you that a return (which hasn't been mentioned by the new staff yet) to the line will bring more consistent play, but to justify trading an above average D lineman in Wilk with the backup plan being Coples is a little too risky in my book.

It all comes down to the numbers, in terms of what it will take to resign him, but I have to agree with you.  I like Coples and think he can really flourish under Bowles but that remains to be seen.  I am not trading Wilk unless I am truly "Bowled" over.  Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

Also a game is a game is a game I agree, but week 17 between two teams who are out of the playoff picture can not be valued in the same manner in which a game with real implications can. It's simply not the same.  It's similar to the way QB's and WR's can pad their stats while Defenses are in prevent while up by 3 scores. It's stats and it did happen in a game but it's not the same as when the game meant something. The guy who gets his sacks when the other team is down 3 scores and they have to pass kinda thing.

Im going to say something here and its relevant to what you said above that I highlighted. If this statement above is true, then most of what Wilkerson has done for his career cannot be valued the same. The last time the Jets had a season win total of 10 or more was 1 year in the past 6. The last time the Jets made the playoffs was 4 years ago. 

I'll even be considerate, The last 3 years Wilkerson was the unquestioned best player on the team. In the past 3 years the Jets were 18-30 with no playoff appearances and Wilk was 2nd team all pro in 2013 and 14. the prior 3 years when Revis was the unquestioned best player on the team the Jets were 28-20 with two playoff appearances and 4 playoff wins. Revis was AFC DPOTY in 2009, a 3 time 1st team all pro, 3 time pro bowler, interception return yards leader 2011 and ranked #8 in the top 100 players in 2011. 

My point being, how can you value Wilkerson to the point where we can give him a huge contract based on his performance in non playoff years yet people catch a fit when Revis wanted more money? Here's a fact, we havent been to the playoffs since Mevi$ got hurt then was traded off this team. We also haven't had a top 5 defense since he's been off the team. 

My point here is, if we cannot value Coples (or Geno's) performance in a so-called meaningless game then how can we completely value Wilkerson's role in 3 meaningless years with him being the "best player"? Given the jets record the past 3 years, a damn good portion of those games were meaningless, am I right? 

As for Sanchez, he surely didnt ruin their playoff run. When your starting QB is out for a huge part of the season and your backup has you in playoff contention until week 17, thats not messing up their chances. Sanchez played in 9 games and went 5-4, threw for almost 3000 yards and completed 64% of his throws. His completion rate went up 10 points than his highest he's ever had as a Jet, the same goes for his QBR and standard rating. Mark Sanchez is who he is, but he's shown that with the right scheme and coach that he can win you football games. Would Rex and Marty gotten that type of performance out of Mark? Hell no. 

And I do appreciate that you value my point of view even when we're at different ends of the debate. The feeling is mutual. 

Wilk will get 11 mill, easy as a FA. Look at Atkins from Cinci he got 11 mill out of a 118 mill cap, Wilkenson will get the same from a 142 mill cap. You have to look at it from a position of percentage of cap. Atkins got 9%, WilK will get 7%, or are you arguing that Cinci spends too much money :wild: , or that Wilk is not 80% the player that Atkins is? 

Im not arguing that Cincy spends too much, I'm arguing that Cincy is a continuous playoff team with talent on every level of their defense. Also, Atkins was a 4th round pick, and when he got his payday he was arguably the best DT in NFL. No one is arguing that Wilkerson (after getting 1st round money already) is arguably the best DE in football. It shouldn't even be argued that he's in the top 3. Wilkerson is a beast for the Jets, and I'd keep him for 9 to 10 million, but when Wilkerson was hurt I seen Richardson go straight beast mode, and when I seen Richardson get hurt week 17 I seen Coples step up and make a statement. 

The point is Cincy didnt have an alternative to Geno Atkins with high potential and I believe that also contributed to a degree, though minor. The Jets do have options here. 

Coples has been played out of position since he joined jets. As we know, rex is good defensive coach, but this is a major flaw with him...he did it with Pryor an obvious strong safety, and Allen at cb. Sounds like bowles already is better than Ryan at using players correctly. Also, as far as defense goes, pts allowed is final measure... Again last couple yrs... Clearly bowles has Ryan beat.

I swear some people dont know anything about Coples.

His natural position is DEFENSIVE TACKLE, not defensive end. And definitely not OLB.

Yes, that's been stated ad nauseum , bottom line he's a better player with his hand in the dirt , be it DT or DE.

Coples has been played out of position since he joined jets. As we know, rex is good defensive coach, but this is a major flaw with him...he did it with Pryor an obvious strong safety, and Allen at cb. Sounds like bowles already is better than Ryan at using players correctly. Also, as far as defense goes, pts allowed is final measure... Again last couple yrs... Clearly bowles has Ryan beat.

This entire statement above sums it up.  

Its not like I dont want Wilkerson, I do, but even I had to re-evaluate my position on Coples and understand that the guy that I was frustrated with was playing out of position for 70% of his career...and every time he had a chance to play his natural position production began to occur. That's not some coincidence. 

The other pet peeve are the posters who recommend college players without even watching them play, they see the Kipers of the world  thumbnails... Guess what Kiper is not even a scout. 

Kiper is about as accurate as a trained chimp throwing darts. But everyone drafted is on his draftboard, easy to do when your board is 200 deep and changes throughout the course of the draft. 

RE Wilkerson - NT Harrison - LE Richardson

with Coples at "OLB", but used differently (pretty much have a 4 man front, have Wilk move inside a couple yards and instead of standing up let Coples play out of the 3 point stance which he does best). Snacks gets re-signed & Ellis walks.

This is largely what Rex has done with Coples. Wilkerson, Harrison, and Richardson are all DTs on a four man line. Coples would be the only DE in that configuration. It'll be interesting to see what Bowles and his staff come up with to maximize the talents of these four talented players. Rex gets a lot of criticism for playing Coples out of position, but it's hard to play all four of these guys all at their more natural positions.

I know most fans want an offensive first rounder this year, but that #6 overall has pass rusher written all over it. If that happens, it'll alter the landscape on the DL, and come into play in who gets traded and who gets paid. Wilkerson is under contract at a discounted $7M this year. It would be a nice gesture to extend him now and reward him with some new money, but the Jets are under no obligation to do so. They can franchise him next year, and work out a deal from there. Or trade him. With a whole new regime in place this year, that's what I'd do. I'd wait and see.

He will want 12 mill min and a hefty signing bonus. His best year is ten sacks very solid pass rush but not high end and very strong against the run, trade him, we have to many holes. Addition through subtraction

In a 3-4 its almost assinine to look at sack totals, the job of a 3-4 lineman is to eat blocks to allow our slow as molasses Lbers to get to the QB by the next play. I truly hope Bowles/Macdaddy recognize our slow as sh*t LB corps and bring in some much needed speed for that unit. Goodbye Pace, Babin, Harris.

I swear some people dont know anything about Coples.

His natural position is DEFENSIVE TACKLE, not defensive end. And definitely not OLB.

Im not sure how true this is. I think that Coples is good anywhere on the line for as long as he's on the line with hand in the dirt. He's a freak like that. He's great all over the place. He's like the Scottie Pippen of defensive lineman, Just keep him away from any linebacker position. 

This is largely what Rex has done with Coples. Wilkerson, Harrison, and Richardson are all DTs on a four man line. Coples would be the only DE in that configuration. It'll be interesting to see what Bowles and his staff come up with to maximize the talents of these four talented players. Rex gets a lot of criticism for playing Coples out of position, but it's hard to play all four of these guys all at their more natural positions.

I know most fans want an offensive first rounder this year, but that #6 overall has pass rusher written all over it. If that happens, it'll alter the landscape on the DL, and come into play in who gets traded and who gets paid. Wilkerson is under contract at a discounted $7M this year. It would be a nice gesture to extend him now and reward him with some new money, but the Jets are under no obligation to do so. They can franchise him next year, and work out a deal from there. Or trade him. With a whole new regime in place this year, that's what I'd do. I'd wait and see.

Excellent point , it would be nice to lock up Wilk , but only at a price that's beneficial to the Jets . If he asks for the moon, let him play out his current contract and franchise him next year.

Bowles will figure this all out quickly... Aside from cb , we have a lot of talent on defense.. Pretty sure we will play more 4-3, than he did last year.. If they add a top cb.... Would think top 10 defense guarenteed and top 5 possible... Time to find a qb

Bowles will figure this all out quickly... Aside from cb , we have a lot of talent on defense.. Pretty sure we will play more 4-3, than he did last year.. If they add a top cb.... Would think top 10 defense guarenteed and top 5 possible... Time to find a qb

Plus if Rodgers is becoming our DC , he's well versed in the 4-3 . The key to our defensive alignment this season is what Lber's we pick up either through FA or the draft.

So let me get this straight.. Some people on here want to trade one of the best defensive ends in the league for draft picks to draft an unknown commodity? If J.J. Watt is not in this league, then we can be talking as Mo is the best DE in this league.

This makes zero ******* sense.

You said this much more sexier than I did, but this has been my overall point. Its not like Wilkerson is untradable. He's a great player for us but like you said, it may be a situation where no every Dlineman will be able to play on the line and Coples seemed to be the odd man out given his measurables. They tried to make him into something he wasnt given that they had too much in one part of the defense and was trying to make up for a deficiency in another spot. This is why I feel that Wilkerson can be traded, we have ALOT of talent on that line and we need to spread some of the wealth because all we're doing is handicapping the talent that we have, like Coples, because either there was no opportunity to have him play the line or Rex thought he could do with Coples at OLB that he thought he could do with Gholston as just a player in general....which was "make it work". Rex has never shown that ability. 

I think Bowles can put these guys in position to succeed even if we keep Wilkerson. For one that should provide for great rotation so that our Dlinemen are almost never tired because of the depth. 

I heard something crazy though, Bowles blitzed Larry Foote on 35% of his defensive plays. Foote is an inside linebacker. If we happen not to go pass rusher with #6 we need to get ILB Denzel Perryman in the 2nd round for sure. I'd LOVE to see that guy blitzing and causing all types of havoc. 

Interesting snippet from a Dunbar Q&A that just came out after he joined the Bills staff. Comments on Coples, Mo, Snacks & Sheldon...

TJP: Talk to the Jets fans about the big two, Sheldon and Muhammad. What makes them work so well together? Are they the “Williams Wall” 2.0?

DUNBAR: Well, you gotta say this, it’s Sheldon, it’s Muhammad and it’s Quinton Coples. I really do think Todd Bowles; he runs the 4-3, he’s gonna be happy with those guys there. You know, Sheldon and Muhammad are great players. My man Quinton Coples, I think he’s a great player. So, they have a lot of talent up front, and, you know, Rex and the guys upstairs did a great job of getting me great talent. I just tried to coach them to the best of my ability. I think those guys are gonna be fine. They’re gonna be great.

TJP: You think Quinton is ready to take the next step?

DUNBAR: Yeah, I mean he took it for us. I mean, I think he’s had 15 sacks in the three years, or 16 or 18 sacks in the three years he’s been there. But, you know, he’s hurt. He broke his ankle and he came back from that. But I think Quinton Coples is a great football player. You know, if the Jets want to get rid of him, I’ll take him wherever I am.

I didn't realize Bowles ran more of a 4-3 defense.

Excellent point , it would be nice to lock up Wilk , but only at a price that's beneficial to the Jets . If he asks for the moon, let him play out his current contract and franchise him next year.

But you need to look at the downside of the tag also, If he has a good year in 2015 and has 7.5 in his pocket what are the chances he plays all 16 games in 2016 and does not sit out 2/3rds of the season, when the jets may be contending.  How much cap room will you have in 2016, that is unknown. You know have enough cap room to front load the deal and keep cap hits lower in the future when you need to sign Snacks, Richardson, Davis and what ever player you sign on short prove it deals.  The jets have 50 mill of cap room and most likely you are not going to be able to attract 50 mill of talent when there are 5 other teams with similar space and 6 if manning does retire. You are paying him 11 mill a year now for the next two years (7.5 in 2015 and 14.5 tag in 2016)

But you need to look at the downside of the tag also, If he has a good year in 2015 and has 7.5 in his pocket what are the chances he plays all 16 games in 2016 and does not sit out 2/3rds of the season, when the jets may be contending.  How much cap room will you have in 2016, that is unknown. You know have enough cap room to front load the deal and keep cap hits lower in the future when you need to sign Snacks, Richardson, Davis and what ever player you sign on short prove it deals.  The jets have 50 mill of cap room and most likely you are not going to be able to attract 50 mill of talent when there are 5 other teams with similar space and 6 if manning does retire. You are paying him 11 mill a year now for the next two years (7.5 in 2015 and 14.5 tag in 2016)

. He may be a great Dlineman but the team has so many holes to fill especially QB.  The Jets need cap space on hand in case they stumble upon a franchise QB. 

If Mo continues to produce , there's no saying you don't reup him during this season or before FA next year, with the tag as a safety net. 

Again though  just like in the Revis case , no non-QB (given current cap levels) is worthy of 15-16 mil/year which is possibly where Wilk is heading .

I'm sick of watching my team trade it's best players over and over again, only to watch them succeed on another team while we sit there scratching our heads wondering why do the Jets ALWAYS do that?

Agree Jimmy, going all the way back to Riggins, we have seen our best players waltz out the door. Where did this trading Mo talk come from? Mo is a proven stud, a draft pick is a crapshoot as we as Jets fans should know better than most.

Interesting snippet from a Dunbar Q&A that just came out after he joined the Bills staff. Comments on Coples, Mo, Snacks & Sheldon...

I didn't realize Bowles ran more of a 4-3 defense.

If dunbar loves Copless so much get a 2nd rd pick from Jills

Archived