Should the New York Jets Pursue Marc Trestman?

Villain The Foe

Should the New York Jets Pursue Marc Trestman?

By Scott Salmon  @ScottSalmon48 on Jan 19 2015, 8:51p 288 

usa-today-8296610.0.jpg
Bruce Kluckhohn-USA TODAY Sports

Marc Trestman, the former head coach of the Chicago Bears, was favored for the offensive coordinator position for the Oakland Raiders. However, news tonight has Bill Musgrave going there to take the position. That leaves Trestman still available. With reports that Chan Gailey is no longer a lock to be the next offensive coordinator for the New York Jets, should the team pursue Trestman?

I would emphatically say yes. Trestman is a brilliant offensive mind, and is noted particularly for his work with quarterbacks. Under Trestman, Jay Cutler, Josh McCown, and Jimmy Clausen all had their best career performances. While Trestman obviously could not handle the locker room as a head coach, perhaps that comes down to him not being ready to be a head coach at the NFL level.

Other than Cutler, McCown, and Clausen, Trestman's history with quarterbacks goes back to 1983. As the quarterbacks coach of the University of Miami, Bernie Kosar became a star. To quote from wikipedia here:

Trestman joined the Detroit Lions as quarterbacks coach in 1997. That year Lions quarterback Scott Mitchell passed for 3,484 yards, fourth most in team history.

In 1998 he was with the Arizona Cardinals as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. That year quarterback Jake Plummer threw for 3,737 yards, and the Cardinals made the playoffs for the first time since 1982 and won their first post season game in 51 years.

He next went to the Oakland Raiders in 2001 as the quarterbacks coach. In 2002 he was promoted to offensive coordinator and the Raiders led the NFL in total offense with 389.8 yards per game and passing yards with 279.7 per game. Under Trestman's guidance, Raiders QB Rich Gannon won the 2002 NFL MVP award as the Raiders reached Super Bowl XXXVII, losing to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Trestman is a proven offensive mind that has a long history of developing quarterbacks. So much so that he's known as the QB Whisperer. Right now, is there anything this team needs more?

What do you think? Should the team pursue Trestman?

I'm going to blame the "hire Trestman" theme on out of town stupid.

Trestman is poop.

Look back at his history of OC and head coach.

His offense always got worse in year two and he was fired.

The lone exception where he got a third year (Zona), the offense got even worse.

He cannot adjust and once his schtick is on film, he's exploited.

The only job I'd be willing to give this weirdo is QB coach.

Trestman is poop.

The lone exception where he got a third year (Zona), the offense got even worse.

I never knew Tressman until Chicago. DIdnt know he was such a bad coach. 

Under Trestman, Jay Cutler, Josh McCown, and Jimmy Clausen all had their best career performances.

Well, I'll agree on McCown. Not that we have the 2013 Bears receiving corps (Forte included). But this praise for the success of the other two is pretty generous.

Cutler was not demonstrably better than he was back in 2008 with Denver (if at all), or even with Chicago just prior to Trestman's hiring. By year 2 of getting QB-whispered, it could not be more obvious that Cutler didn't give a crap and had totally tuned him out. 

Clausen started one football game in week 16 and threw a bunch of dumpoff passes. It was the same gameplan, with almost identical results, to Geno Smith's game against Denver: "Do not throw the ball more than 8 yards from the LOS unless the receiver is totally and completely uncovered. Because I think you stink and cannot be trusted."

I'm fine with bringing him in as QBC (if he doesn't creep out Bowles in the interview). Helping with mechanics and helping to break down film if they're not looking at or for all the right things (or aren't studying enough). It's enough responsibility for him, and one he may again excel in if he's able to focus on that one job all season long. But as OC who kinda sorta doubles up as a QBC? No.

Trestman is poop.

he has a history of getting canned 2-3 years after most hires,,I hear he is arrogant/abrasive... Plus, like Gaily he left football for 3 years, BUT at height of his career.

Trestman is poop.

Bingo!

Trestman as OC. Good 1st yr but then his O gets worse

http://graphics.chicagotribune.com/trestman/

I'm seriously wondering what Bowles is waiting for. Is there a mystery candidate we don't know about? I don't see Gase wanting to come to Ny. We have no qb and our receivers are average at best. From what ive read Chan is not a sure thing. I'm starting to get nervous. Are there any good O.c. In the college ranks they could be looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm seriously wondering what Bowles is waiting for. Is there a mystery candidate we don't know about? I don't see Gase wanting to come to Ny. We have no qb and our receivers are average at best. From what ive read Chan is not a sure thing. I'm starting to get nervous. Are there any good O.c. In the college ranks they could be looking at?

my guess from reading a few things is Gaileys wife doesnt want him un-retiring and moving up North away from Kids and Grandkids,,women,, sheeesh ;)

Waiting for the SB to be over? 

who on Sea/NE staff could be a OC?

ex raiders OC/HC Cable from Sea??

ex Clev/KC OC and ex-Jet Daboll from Pats?

I hope not all those names do nothing to make me optimistic the offense would get better.

But I'm just a fan so I could be wrong.

Archived