Jets expected to pursue Darrelle Revis per Schefter

Matt39

They restructured Brady. They will have money. The cap seems to only limit teams with morons for GM's. 

Year Total Liabilities Salary Cap (Projected) Cap Room 2015 $150,980,797 $146,442,054 ($4,538,743)

from: http://overthecap.com/calculator/new-england-patriots

They're currently over the cap, but anything is possible if they put their mind into it.

Revis will ask for a long term deal that makes him the highest paid CB with LOTS of guaranteed money. He;s done that before, he'll do it again but since Brady has 2-3 yrs possibly left in him, would make sense for them to throw the kitchen sink at Revis for it gives them the best chance to win ( they just proved that)

as for the Jets, i agree with BurnleyJet, : Stop with the Revis thing, let's move on, it's a rebuild not a reunionsnapback.png

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course the Pats* will have money.  There have been years where I didn't look like there was any way possible that they could get the people that they ended up getting while staying under the cap, yet they managed to.  

And, to be honest, I hope they end up keeping Revis.  There are few things, aside from the playoffs and Super Bowl of course, that I would enjoy more than beating the Pats* with Revis on the roster.  

History has taught us Revis will take the best financial package. All things being equal, I wonder if playing for Rex would attract him most.

Why would it? Belichick is the one who got him a ring. Revis looked like he was having a blast on the sidelines with future 1st ballot Hall of Famers like Brady and Belichick, chill in' with Wilfork, boasting about the secondary with McCourty and Browner.

I see no reason why Revis would be in a hurry to go back to Rex Ryan and live in a crappy city like Buffalo

Revis is 100% Patriot now.

Patriots-secondary-parade.jpg

Year Total Liabilities Salary Cap (Projected) Cap Room 2015 $150,980,797 $146,442,054 ($4,538,743)

from: http://overthecap.com/calculator/new-england-patriots

They're currently over the cap, but anything is possible if they put their mind into it.

Revis will ask for a long term deal that makes him the highest paid CB with LOTS of guaranteed money. He;s done that before, he'll do it again but since Brady has 2-3 yrs possibly left in him, would make sense for them to throw the kitchen sink at Revis for it gives them the best chance to win ( they just proved that)

as for the Jets, i agree with BurnleyJet, : Stop with the Revis thing, let's move on, it's a rebuild not a reunionsnapback.png

First why do you think Revis gets more money than Sherman, Haden, or Peterson?

You understand that they are only over the cap due to Revis having a salary of 20 mill next year

Of course the Pats* will have money.  There have been years where I didn't look like there was any way possible that they could get the people that they ended up getting while staying under the cap, yet they managed to.  

And, to be honest, I hope they end up keeping Revis.  There are few things, aside from the playoffs and Super Bowl of course, that I would enjoy more than beating the Pats* with Revis on the roster.  

I hope NE keeps Revis too.

Its hard to find Corners of his caliber.

Revis is a great player but what's done is done. I would rather let them frantically sign Revis to a long term deal and wind up shorting their safety. A secondary of Cro/Maxwell/Milliner/Pryor/McCourty would be great.

Kraft > Woodrow

Brady > Gene ???

Belichick > Bowls

McCourty wants to stay in NE.

I do not care much one way or the other, but I don't see why winning the super bowl makes him more likely to stay in NE.  Isn't prevailing wisdom usually that you go and get your ring and then the pressure is off and you go where you want?  I don't think it makes a lick of difference that that they won.

Again, why on Earth do you think Revis would have ANY interest in signing with the Jets? NOT THAT HE'S EVEN A FREE AGENT, but why? "The fans?" LOL

Revis had a relationship with Rex Ryan. That was the only possible reason he might have had to go back to a team that doesn't win anything. Incase you forgot, you fired Rex, and Rex signed with the Bills. It's all moot anyway, because he's going to remain a Patriot, but if he was going to go somewhere else based on former loyalties, it would now be Buffalo, not the Jets.

Again, why on Earth do you think Revis would have ANY interest in signing with the Jets? NOT THAT HE'S EVEN A FREE AGENT, but why? "The fans?" LOL

Revis had a relationship with Rex Ryan. That was the only possible reason he might have had to go back to a team that doesn't win anything. Incase you forgot, you fired Rex, and Rex signed with the Bills. It's all moot anyway, because he's going to remain a Patriot, but if he was going to go somewhere else based on former loyalties, it would now be Buffalo, not the Jets.

Dear Pats fan who can't read,

Where the **** did I mention the Jets?  All I said was that people are acting like winning the super bowl will make him a lock to stay with the Pats.  I don't think winning the super bowl has anything to do with where he goes.  Now that he can check getting the ring off his HOF list, I don't see what difference it makes.  My comment was related to returning or not returning to the Pats.  He may well return to the Pats, but they will certainly pay big for the pleasure.

Me.

I do not care much one way or the other, but I don't see why winning the super bowl makes him more likely to stay in NE.  Isn't prevailing wisdom usually that you go and get your ring and then the pressure is off and you go where you want?  I don't think it makes a lick of difference that that they won.

Players will go where it is the best deal for them.  How much does winning play into it being the best deal is varies with the player. Personally, I would probably play for 7mill in NE than 8mill somewhere else. I know that I can play in that system which limits or delays the possibility of getting cut so it cancels out some of the difference. But I can certainly see a guy going home for the same money and in some cases taking even less.   However in this case the winning and going to a losing team may be offset by the losing team playing where he grew up.

I don't know he still has a lot of friends on the team, although a quite a few may be moving on this off season. Then add the fact that the jets have more money and we know that Revis does like the money

I think he goes back to the jets if he does not sign in NE, I think his preference would be to win and get paid rather than "go home" and get paid, but if he is not going to play for a SB contender the jets will suit him just find. Bowles I am sure would know how to use him.

Kraft > Woodrow

Brady > Gene ???

Belichick > Bowls

McCourty wants to stay in NE.

That by any means doesn't mean he will stay. if they short him, he will get his worth else where. Tension grows fast when you have an organization bent on signing a teammate long term but doesn't have much of an answer for you. Js...

Players will go where it is the best deal for them.  How much does winning play into it being the best deal is varies with the player. Personally, I would probably play for 7mill in NE than 8mill somewhere else. I know that I can play in that system which limits or delays the possibility of getting cut so it cancels out some of the difference. But I can certainly see a guy going home for the same money and in some cases taking even less.   However in this case the winning and going to a losing team may be offset by the losing team playing where he grew up.

I think he grew up in Steeler country.  I doubt they will pay that kind of money.                  

Other than your own opinion, what facts do you have to make that statement?

Eye test. Played bad against Steve Smith and the Ravens. Geno played him well, in fact he played well against the Pats defense period.

Plus, the guy is 30. He needs to shift from using physical prowess to mental abilities. He got rubbed off by the ref against the Seahawks. That can't happen.

As for signing him, I think it will come down to McCourty or Revis. I don't think the Pats can keep both. I think Browner is also a FA, if I'm not mistaken.

Eye test. Played bad against Steve Smith and the Ravens. Geno played him well, in fact he played well against the Pats defense period.

Plus, the guy is 30. He needs to shift from using physical prowess to mental abilities. He got rubbed off by the ref against the Seahawks. That can't happen.

As for signing him, I think it will come down to McCourty or Revis. I don't think the Pats can keep both. I think Browner is also a FA, if I'm not mistaken.

The Jets should sign all 3 Revis,Browner and McCourty 

The Jets should sign all 3 Revis,Browner and McCourty 

Browner signed a multi year deal. Revis and McCourty will go a long way to fixing what was one of the worse secondaries in the league.  Sign Cro and all you have to do is fix the olb spots

We could probaly sign Maxwell & Cromartie for the price of Revis & still have change I'm hearing the Pats are set to give him a deal starting close to 20 mil per,that's insane.

Yeah I agree. Mevis is a great player but for the price of one of him you can get 2 solid starting CB's easily.

Browner signed a multi year deal. Revis and McCourty will go a long way to fixing what was one of the worse secondaries in the league. Sign Cro and all you have to do is fix the olb spots

I like Cro and wanted him back last yr when everyone was saying he was cooked but I would prefer to go younger with a combo of Culliver and Maxwell.

Or we could sign all 3 and move Cro to FS. He cannot be worse than Eric Smith or Calvin Pryor.

I like Cro and wanted him back last yr when everyone was saying he was cooked but I would prefer to go younger with a combo of Culliver and Maxwell.

Or we could sign all 3 and move Cro to FS. He cannot be worse than Eric Smith or Calvin Pryor.

Pryor and Cro would be a great tandem Landry is a slug

No LaRon.. dammit we are looking forward not backwards. He is getting old as dirt and we don't need to tie money up in someone like that. We need to make moves at Olb,WR and CB more than anything FA.

We need real help at safety. Dawan is gone. Pryor is not very good. 

No LaRon.. dammit we are looking forward not backwards. He is getting old as dirt and we don't need to tie money up in someone like that. We need to make moves at Olb,WR and CB more than anything FA.

Tie up what money? Landry won't cost much more than the league minimum for a veteran.

Archived