Jets expected to pursue Darrelle Revis per Schefter

Matt39

Please. For what we spend on Revis we can fill a number of holes. Get Cro on a good deal ok, get another CB who can man press, ok, then we need to figure out the pass rush LB sitch, the #1WR sitch, and the QB Sitch. We have a lot to cover and putting all your eggs in the Revis basket makes no sense. I trust Mac and Bowles to make the sane decisions and not fall for the Revis Island stuff. That Revis Island era is over, get effective players in FA that fit the scheme, draft well and let Bowles coach them up. Seattle, despite losing the SB, has the right formula. Draft well, coach up and find effective FAs that fit your scheme. 

Basically, No to Revis and lets build a new era. 

LL

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schefter has been one of the very few reporters you can trust when it comes to football

news.  But with the Marrone fiasco and now this I wonder if he's becoming a "tool" for

agents.  It's obvious Marrone's agent used Schefter to try and get him the Jet job and now

Revis people are trying to create a bidding war so they can get one more big $$$ contract.

I expect Maccagnan & Bowles to have a definite plan in place for addressing the secondary,

should they check in on Revis if he hits the market?  Yes, but as I stated in my offseason thread

I would "diversify" our cap among multiple players not just one.  Revis presence is not putting

us into the playoffs next year

Revis would be negligent to pick Jets over Pats/Belly or his old pal Rex/Bills (who Rex will convince pay more than we will, TRUST ME)

WHEN has it eve been about home/fans/'where I started' etc etc w/Revis and his house-mate Geiger.

Uncle Sean Gilbert will have Revis go where the $$ is best. In Jets case w/new coach the $$ better to more than just a 100K more also..

I think if the JETS are behind this leak it is  really a smart move. They know Pats are on the dock for paying Revis 20 million and the interest the JETS are showing will force Pats hand to keep him. So with them paying Brady and Revis their flexibility to sign new players would be highly reduced.

I just dont see this happening.. I also think Woody has been informed by Mike that this team is not a team capable of a SB run in 2015 and his FA moves will take that into consideration.

Difference is, I was kidding via use of exaggeration, I would never ban someone for falling for typical media-click-bait.

I'll just call it what it is, naive foolishness (there, is that soft enough so no one will take offense?) and an odd obsession amongst Jets Fans, like slighted girfiends who obsess over their lost man and stalk him on social media.....

The facts re: Revis are rather strait-forward here:

1. Revis is not a Free Agent, and no Jets Official is going to go on record, right after the owner gets dinged for possible tampering, and say "yep, we're going to persue Revis, hell yeah!"

2. Revis is not a Free Agent. He is under contract to the Pats, and the Pats hold an exclusive right to re-up him for next year. He's not available (yet) and likely won't be.

3. Revis is neither old nor hurt, he's operating near his peak (top 10 NFL CB) with many years of play left barring a new injury. The Pats don't cut guys like that.

4. Revis hates us, if that isn't obvious by now, I just don't know what to tell you. He is never coming back here barring a grotesque over-the-top offer, and maybe not even then.

5. The Jets are not in any position as a franchise to offer a single CB the price Revis would command. Doing so would be the worst decision since passing on the 1 yard line and letting Lynch rot in the backfield with 20 seconds left.

6. This is typical Click-Bait, a manufactured story with no source (i.e. pure fiction) designed to foster site hits and reads and sell ads. No verification is ever required, just a topic that will incite folks to click it. Sports Media is full of this type of shoddy "reporting".

Now, if you wish to take offense at being described as "mentally retarded" fine, I apologize for use of a term some choose to find offensive.

But I'll be damned if I'll be called a "Troll" or anything else for putting out more actual football content in one post that the obsessive drama queens in this thread who simply wanted carte blanche to go "ooohhhhh Revis, isn't he Dreamy! I love him, we can;t wait to get him back in our loving arms."

My content is on-topic, mostly factual (some opinion, obviously), but based in the facts. And yes, passionate and a little aggressive, no doubt.

You'll simply have to forgive me if I get tired of endless Revis Threads at this point. He's gone, we've already tampered with him once (inadvertently), he's not coming back, he doesn't want to come back (despite what he wants you to think, i.e. PR), he's not available, he just won a Super Bowl with our most hated rival, we can't afford him, and we can't afford his salary given our other needs.

So please, I beg your forgiveness, but yet another Revis thread annoyed me at this point. But you're absolutely right, you can post all the reporting you like. A little critical thinking along with it would be nice, but that's up to you.

Words can't explain how true this is.

Why do we want this guy back? I say no. Time to find a new Revis.

Cuz he's good. You dont turn your head toward any good player that could help your franchise, but someone here said it best. The money you would spend on Revis you could fill more holes instead of just filling one hole. 

(no sexually intent)

Sorry PC Police, they'll be no apologies, and if you, as a non-moderator, can threaten me and ban me for your offense over use of the english language, so be it.  

I have a family member with severe disability, and no, I don't feel a twinge at the use of the term as a colloquialism for rampant ignorance and stupidity.  Probably because I am aware enough to differentiate meaning and intent, something the gurning PC police seem to have so much trouble with.

Whats next, calling an idea "crazy" is an offensive insult to all people suffering depression and mental illness and worthy of a ban?

Give me a break.  Or ban me, whatever you like.  SAR and the Pats Trolls get free reign to troll all over the place, and I get banned for calling endless Revis Obsession/Sperge for the stupidity it is.  

Brilliant.

You know, I kinda have to agree with you....

I don't want Revis, he just costs too much. Was Revis the difference in that Super Bowl? Hell no!

We need to find competent CBs & finally find a young pass rushing LB!

The Seahawks lost because they let Brady complete like 15/17 passes in the 4th quarter. You don't beat Brady unless you play tight & get an inside push of the pocket.

If you think back to both Jet games, the Jets defense defended Brady better than the Seahawks for the most part & that was with scrub corners, a slow safety & a rookie safety.

Hawks pass rush was WEAK the whole 2nd half. Once Avril went out they had zero pressure up the middle when Pats could double Bennett.

When the jets played tight coverage & made Brady pump or hold the ball that 1 extra second, our Dline got to him or forced him off his spot. Seattle failed miserably, as Brady moved up in the pocket numerous times with no pressure in his face.

Revis will start at 14 million. Pass.

Difference is, I was kidding via use of exaggeration, I would never ban someone for falling for typical media-click-bait.

I'll just call it what it is, naive foolishness (there, is that soft enough so no one will take offense?) and an odd obsession amongst Jets Fans, like slighted girfiends who obsess over their lost man and stalk him on social media.....

The facts re: Revis are rather strait-forward here:

1. Revis is not a Free Agent, and no Jets Official is going to go on record, right after the owner gets dinged for possible tampering, and say "yep, we're going to persue Revis, hell yeah!"

2. Revis is not a Free Agent. He is under contract to the Pats, and the Pats hold an exclusive right to re-up him for next year. He's not available (yet) and likely won't be.

3. Revis is neither old nor hurt, he's operating near his peak (top 10 NFL CB) with many years of play left barring a new injury. The Pats don't cut guys like that.

4. Revis hates us, if that isn't obvious by now, I just don't know what to tell you. He is never coming back here barring a grotesque over-the-top offer, and maybe not even then.

5. The Jets are not in any position as a franchise to offer a single CB the price Revis would command. Doing so would be the worst decision since passing on the 1 yard line and letting Lynch rot in the backfield with 20 seconds left.

6. This is typical Click-Bait, a manufactured story with no source (i.e. pure fiction) designed to foster site hits and reads and sell ads. No verification is ever required, just a topic that will incite folks to click it. Sports Media is full of this type of shoddy "reporting".

Now, if you wish to take offense at being described as "mentally retarded" fine, I apologize for use of a term some choose to find offensive.

But I'll be damned if I'll be called a "Troll" or anything else for putting out more actual football content in one post that the obsessive drama queens in this thread who simply wanted carte blanche to go "ooohhhhh Revis, isn't he Dreamy! I love him, we can;t wait to get him back in our loving arms."

My content is on-topic, mostly factual (some opinion, obviously), but based in the facts. And yes, passionate and a little aggressive, no doubt.

You'll simply have to forgive me if I get tired of endless Revis Threads at this point. He's gone, we've already tampered with him once (inadvertently), he's not coming back, he doesn't want to come back (despite what he wants you to think, i.e. PR), he's not available, he just won a Super Bowl with our most hated rival, we can't afford him, and we can't afford his salary given our other needs.

So please, I beg your forgiveness, but yet another Revis thread annoyed me at this point. But you're absolutely right, you can post all the reporting you like. A little critical thinking along with it would be nice, but that's up to you.

SERIOUS CONTENTS HERE

Playing for the Cheaters... he can stay there. I don't want him back under any circumstances. I understood when Shaun Ellis signed there. Revis helping the Cheaters add another asterisk is too much for me to stomach.

Still quite the kick in the nuts seeing the best player we've drafted in the last 25 years or so winning a Super Bowl in his prime with the Patriots. If someone told you that scenario 3 years ago you would have puked. Personally I get the sense Woody's pretty embarrassed.

Still quite the kick in the nuts seeing the best player we've drafted in the last 25 years or so winning a Super Bowl in his prime with the Patriots. If someone told you that scenario 3 years ago you would have puked. Personally I get the sense Woody's pretty embarrassed.

If this happened pre salary cap era then I'd agree 100% . In the cap era , everyone knows you have to lose some of your higher paid assets. Look at the Cowboys this offseason they will lose either Dez or Murray unless either takes a substantial discount to remain with the team. Its part of the business, the smart teams like the Pats know when to walk away when the price tag is too high. 

If this happened pre salary cap era then I'd agree 100% . In the cap era , everyone knows you have to lose some of your higher paid assets. Look at the Cowboys this offseason they will lose either Dez or Murray unless either takes a substantial discount to remain with the team. Its part of the business, the smart teams like the Pats know when to walk away when the price tag is too high. 

If we had other assets to keep I'd agree. The Jets roster has been pitiful and pretty void of young talent. Revis would still be the best player on this roster.

If we had other assets to keep I'd agree. The Jets roster has been pitiful and pretty void of young talent. Revis would still be the best player on this roster.

And to sign him , you'd sacrifice 2-3 other holes that could be plugged with his money. If we were one player away from a complete team , you might have an argument but the money Revis would want is counter productive to turning this team around. 

And to sign him , you'd sacrifice 2-3 other holes that could be plugged with his money. If we were one player away from a complete team , you might have an argument but the money Revis would want is counter productive to turning this team around. 

Revis is on the fringe of players that you keep regardless of price imo. His skillset is pretty damn unique still.

What's next?  A Pennington thread? 

The guy is one of the best at his position, of course you kick the tires if he is available.  He's surely too expensive for a team that is not one player away, but I don't see why we should avoid him.  The GM should put a value on players for this team and if you can get top guys cheaper you jump.  You have to reassess as the market changes which is how guys like Dimitri Patterson end up getting $3M deals.  He is just another player, not your date who screwed the team mascot at the prom.

What's next?  A Pennington thread? 

The guy is one of the best at his position, of course you kick the tires if he is available.  He's surely too expensive for a team that is not one player away, but I don't see why we should avoid him.  The GM should put a value on players for this team and if you can get top guys cheaper you jump.  You have to reassess as the market changes which is how guys like Dimitri Patterson end up getting $3M deals.  He is just another player, not your date who screwed the team mascot at the prom.

Just like Russell Carter. the legendary Dominator! :)

Agreed. Revis should remain a mercenary for contending teams that are a player or two away from a SB run.

Archived