With Season Officially Over, Jets Look to Get to Work

JetNation

muhammad-wilkerson-2.jpg

While the sports world sits and debates the Seattle Seahawks and the worst play call in Super Bowl history, the New York Jets are preparing to meet on Tuesday to discuss the upcoming off-season.

Jets owner Woody Johnson, general manager Mike Maccagnan and head coach Todd Bowles  will sit down to discuss what direction the team will take as the off-season kicks off.

One issue that’s expected to be at or near the top of their to-do list will be deciding what course of action to take with star defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson as he has only one year remaining on  his rookie contract.  With what is likely to be an excess of $40 million in cap space, this is a deal the Jets should be able to get wrapped up quickly if retaining Wilkerson truly something they’re genuinely interested in doing.

Addressing the quarterback and cornerback situations are also paramount as the Jets can’t start another season with a blitz-happy head coach and no top talent at the CB position, while once again being among the worst teams in the NFL in terms of protecting the football.  No cornerbacks and sub-par quarterback play were the two biggest reasons for this season’s horrendous 4-12 record.

Free agency kicks off on March 10th at 4pm, but for the Jets and several other teams, the real work starts tomorrow.

BP, on 02 Feb 2015 - 7:19 PM, said:

I am so happy that Woody is involved in the meeting.

Woody is not going to be involved in the meeting, as the owner he wants to hear his new organization's plan, just like any other boss would.

Woody is not going to be involved in the meeting, as the owner he wants to hear his new organization's plan, just like any other boss would.

Nothing wrong with that. If Bowles and mac are explaining/updating their game plan that's fine. I just think the less football operations meetings he's involved in the better.

Offseason dates you need to know

By Rich Cimini | February 3, 2015 9:00:15 AM PST

With the 2014 season is in the books, let's look ahead. Key upcoming dates through the draft:

Feb. 2 -- The waiver system began for 2015.

Feb. 10 -- Clubs may begin to sign players whose 2014 CFL contracts have expired. Players under contract to a CFL club for the 2015 season or who have an option for the 2015 season are not eligible to be signed.

Feb. 16 -- First day for clubs to designate franchise or transition players.

Feb. 17-23 -- NFL scouting combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis.

March 2 -- Deadline for clubs to designate franchise or transition players.

March 7-10 -- Clubs are permitted to contact and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become unrestricted free agents. However, a contract can't be executed with a new club until 4 p.m. March 10.

March 10 -- Clubs must exercise options for 2015 on all players who have option clauses in their 2014 contracts. Clubs must submit qualifying offers to their restricted free agents with expiring contracts and to whom they desire to retain a right of first refusal/compensation. Clubs submit a minimum salary tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2014 contracts and who have fewer than three accrued seasons of free-agency credit. All clubs must be under the 2015 salary cap prior to 4 p.m. The 2015 league year and free agency period begin at 4 p.m. The trading period also begins.

March 22-25 -- Annual league meeting in Phoenix.

April 6 -- Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2014 regular season may begin offseason workout programs.

April 20 -- Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

April 24 -- Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets.

April 29 -- Deadline for prior club to exercise right of first refusal to restricted free agents.

April 30-May 2 -- NFL draft in Chicago.

That's going to be weird, for sure.

It's going to be weird for us, because we're normally the local  and vocal majority at the draft.  I guess Bears fans will take our place in that regard.  But for every other team, it'll be basically no different. 

Not many re really good CFL prospects this year that are Free agents.  A few players worth a look see.

Duron Carter - WR

Ben Heenan - OG

Kendial Lawrence - KR/3rd down RB

Brandon Banks - K/R  (yeah that Brandon Banks formerly from Washington)

Matt O'Donnell - Oline

This is going to be one hell of an exciting off-season.... new regime, huge amount of cap room, and a top draft pick. Let's go!

I agree. Can't wait to see what moves the new coach makes with this roster. I would say at least these eight players will be cut. Kyle Wilson, Darrin Walls, Willie Colon, Zack Sudfeld, Calvin Pace, Jason Babin, Chris Johnson, Michael Vick and a few more probably.

Davis is a legit star LB on a more successful team in my opinion. You can build around him, Mo and Richardson on D. It would be absolutely wonderful if one could say the Safety position was locked down with Allen and Pryor but I can't make myself believe that yet... 

Ohhhh yeah the Jets don't have a QB and this draft is suspect of one and there's no big deal FA at QB...so it doesn't really freaking matter anyway...shoot me

So much is going to happen over the next few months it's going to be very exciting. 

Because of the huge cap space and the fact that they will almost certainly just about all of it - there should be some major changes to the roster and likely a couple of splashy moves.

new QB

two new CB

New guard or two

Likely new MLB

This team is going to look very different next year.

So much is going to happen over the next few months it's going to be very exciting. 

Because of the huge cap space and the fact that they will almost certainly just about all of it - there should be some major changes to the roster and likely a couple of splashy moves.

new QB

two new CB

New guard or two

Likely new MLB

The OL situation has infuriated me me over the last 3-4 years. They've squandered the chance to have an NFL elite unit. Now Brick and Mangold are starting to breakdown with age. 

That's the most exciting part about this.  Now that we have grownups in charge in New York, we might actually have a roster that looks like it was assembled by someone who actually knows something about professional football.  It's sad that we have to get excited about reaching a level that is pretty much the ground floor from which most teams begin their work, but that's just how bad the previous regime was and Woody's decision to leave them in charge for six years has crippled this franchise.

That's the most exciting part about this.  Now that we have grownups in charge in New York, we might actually have a roster that looks like it was assembled by someone who actually knows something about professional football.  It's sad that we have to get excited about reaching a level that is pretty much the ground floor from which most teams begin their work, but that's just how bad the previous regime was and Woody's decision to leave them in charge for six years has crippled this franchise.

Let's hope so...and hope our fan base will have a little patience with this new regime.  They can't fix everything in a year and are going to miss on some of their decisions this off season.  Not everything is going to pan out. 

Right now it's the anticipation of knowing so much is going to change and having no real idea what that's going to look like.  If you have to guess the starting 22 next year - probably 7 or 8 aren't on the roster.  That's more than 1/3!

Let's hope so...and hope our fan base will have a little patience with this new regime.  They can't fix everything in a year and are going to miss on some of their decisions this off season.  Not everything is going to pan out. 

I think, or would certainly hope, that the fan base will give them a chance to do their work.  I was still willing to give Idzik the benefit of the doubt when he missed on guys like Goodson and the whole David Garrard thing, which made no sense, as nobody is ever 100% right when it comes to personnel.  But, when he decided to go into the season with roughly $20 million in unspent cap money and he hadn't bothered addressing the glaring hole that was the CB position, then that changed things.

I can't see Maccagnan doing something like that.  I can't see him actively neglecting to fix a hole on the roster, especially not one as glaring as CB was last year.  He might not be able to fix it, because getting guys to sign with the Jets might be difficult after the stain the Ryan/Idzik era has left on the franchise, but I can't see him outright ignoring it like Idzik did.

I think, or would certainly hope, that the fan base will give them a chance to do their work.  I was still willing to give Idzik the benefit of the doubt when he missed on guys like Goodson and the whole David Garrard thing, which made no sense, as nobody is ever 100% right when it comes to personnel.  But, when he decided to go into the season with roughly $20 million in unspent cap money and he hadn't bothered addressing the glaring hole that was the CB position, then that changed things.

I can't see Maccagnan doing something like that.  I can't see him actively neglecting to fix a hole on the roster, especially not one as glaring as CB was last year.  He might not be able to fix it, because getting guys to sign with the Jets might be difficult after the stain the Ryan/Idzik era has left on the franchise, but I can't see him outright ignoring it like Idzik did.

I don't think the Ryan/Idzik thing will keep guys from coming but I do think the lack of QB will.  Money will always come first but assuming money is close most players want to win.  That is why, IMHO, we need to go out and trade/sign a QB early.

We will end up overpaying a bit though (which is fine as long as it's just a bit)

I don't think the Ryan/Idzik thing will keep guys from coming but I do think the lack of QB will.  Money will always come first but assuming money is close most players want to win.  That is why, IMHO, we need to go out and trade/sign a QB early.

We will end up overpaying a bit though (which is fine as long as it's just a bit)

I hate to say this but what QB do you think we are going to get that is so much better than Geno was the last 5 games of the season?   We are probably not get Foles, I am not giving up a pick for Fitzpatrick and the rest of the FA class is nothing special.  I am not saying don't sign a FA qb (for reasonable money) but if you think any of those guys would be the reason someone decides to sign I would have to disagree.   Hoyer, Locker, et. and company don't excite me and I doubt they excite any one else. 

Looking at all the top DE's in the league I'm curious to what you guys think Wilkerson is worth? Is he top 10?

I think he's worth Calaise Campbell money ($14.75m in 2015). Also, don't get me wrong, Wilkerson's great, but I don't think he's up there with Mario Williams or JJ Watt and shouldn't be making the money they are. Mo had 56 total tackled in 2014, tied for 12th, and 6 sacks, tied for 33rd. Of course, I'm sure that's not how Mo's agent sees it.

FYI:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/defensive-end/

Well put, totally agree. I do not, however, think it's a good idea to spend until we're facing cap problems.

I hate to say this but what QB do you think we are going to get that is so much better than Geno was the last 5 games of the season?   We are probably not get Foles, I am not giving up a pick for Fitzpatrick and the rest of the FA class is nothing special.  I am not saying don't sign a FA qb (for reasonable money) but if you think any of those guys would be the reason someone decides to sign I would have to disagree.   Hoyer, Locker, et. and company don't excite me and I doubt they excite any one else. 

Geno Smith has the worst starting QB in the NFL for 2 years.  Any one of the people you mentioned above would be an upgrade and show some level of stability at the position.  I'm not saying people are going to take pay cuts to come play with Jake Locker but I am saying they'll be some semblance of hope that the team can win.  The sooner Geno is no longer the #1 QB on the roster the better. 

I like Locker, Bradford is a possibility...there are long shots like trading for RGIII (I know it's highly unlikely but if it's possible I would be on board for the right price)  

Archived