Why shouldn't we be optimistic?

Jetster

1- Idziks main goal was to preserve funds for 2015 free agency group which might be the best since the inception of free agency. Just look at any free agency list & tell me the last time there were that many young free agents that are available? He did his job for Woody, walked away with a nice pocket full of money.

2- Lame duck coaching staff coasted after the rough start knowing that they were playing out the string. No discipline, guys weren't held responsible.

3- Finally Terry Bradway got fired! Does anyone really believe that John Idzik picked all of those draft picks himself? Guy should have been jettisoned years ago when he signed a kicker in the 2nd round...A KICKER!

4- Woody finally consulted with "football people" for the direction of this franchise. Last year he consulted with a head hunting firm...what?

5- We hired a younger GM with a football scouting background! He comes highly recommended by football people. This guy worked his way up from busting his azz.

6- We hired a well respected Coach. A guy known to be tough but fair. A guy that played football as an UDFA. The days of starting because of where you were drafted are over. Bowles had a top 10 defense the last 2 years & learned a lot from Bruce Ariens.

A guy that was just inducted into the football HOF (Bill Polian) when asked who has the best offseason regarding hiring a GM & Coaching staff answered "the NY Jets!" Without hesitation.

7- We have what is considered maybe the best Dline in football. You can't win in this league without putting pressure on the QB.

8- We have high draft picks in every round, our 2nd round pick will #37.

9- We might have over 50 million to spend.

* I look at teams like the Dolphins who supposedly have their franchise QB & have to pay him close to 100 million this offseason. So imagine your a fin fan thinking, "the Jets came in here & kicked our azz with a lame duck coach, supposedly the worst roster in football & will upgrade every facet of their organization this offseason"

This reminds me of when Parcells took over but we have a coach & GM that want to be here for the long haul, won't just be all in for this year & have the pedigree to attract top flight football players. Like others have said, the difference from winning & losing in the NFL is so small. All these factors contribute to how successful a franchise is. The circus has moved on and it's time to get serious again. NFL players need structure and strong leadership. From everything I've read, the people in NFL circles believe that Bowles has what it takes & garners respect from the players.

Starting on March 10th a new chapter in NY Jet football begins. I love the pcs that have been put in place.

There's a new leader in town & I like the cut of his jib. This will be a tough & disciplined team.

I think we are in for a great ride over the next 5 years!

I know everyone is in a wait & see mode but I honestly can't remember when they have put together a coaching staff with as many coaches that have had success elsewhere.

The GM seems really smart & looks to have cut his teeth in many facets of scouting & knows a lot of people.

Iupati- Worilds- Maxwell- Torry Smith would be good start!

Agree with the OP...

There's a lot to be excited about with this team going forward.  We're not winning anything next year but the team is in a nice position to build a quality roster over the next few seasons.  I'm looking forward to free agency and the draft this year.

We're going to see a lot action.  Fact is likely over 1/3 (7-9 starters) of the entire starting 22 will be different this year than last.  That's HUGE turnover.

1- Idziks main goal was to preserve funds for 2015 free agency group which might be the best since the inception of free agency. Just look at any free agency list & tell me the last time there were that many young free agents that are available? He did his job for Woody, walked away with a nice pocket full of money.

2- Lame duck coaching staff coasted after the rough start knowing that they were playing out the string. No discipline, guys weren't held responsible.

3- Finally Terry Bradway got fired! Does anyone really believe that John Idzik picked all of those draft picks himself? Guy should have been jettisoned years ago when he signed a kicker in the 2nd round...A KICKER!

4- Woody finally consulted with "football people" for the direction of this franchise. Last year he consulted with a head hunting firm...what?

5- We hired a younger GM with a football scouting background! He comes highly recommended by football people. This guy worked his way up from busting his azz.

6- We hired a well respected Coach. A guy known to be tough but fair. A guy that played football as an UDFA. The days of starting because of where you were drafted are over. Bowles had a top 10 defense the last 2 years & learned a lot from Bruce Ariens.

A guy that was just inducted into the football HOF (Bill Polian) when asked who has the best offseason regarding hiring a GM & Coaching staff answered "the NY Jets!" Without hesitation.

7- We have what is considered maybe the best Dline in football. You can't win in this league without putting pressure on the QB.

* I look at teams like the Dolphins who supposedly have their franchise QB & have to pay him close to 100 million this offseason. So imagine your a fin fan thinking, "the Jets came in here & kicked our azz with a lame duck coach, supposedly the worst roster in football & will upgrade every facet of their organization this offseason"

This reminds me of when Parcells took over but we have a coach & GM that want to be here for the long haul, won't just be all in for this year & have the pedigree to attract top flight football players. Like others have said, the difference from winning & losing in the NFL is so small. All these factors contribute to how successful a franchise is. The circus has moved on and it's time to get serious again. NFL players need structure and strong leadership. From everything I've read, the people in NFL circles believe that Bowles has what it takes & garners respect from the players.

Starting on March 10th a new chapter in NY Jet football begins. I love the pcs that have been put in place.

There's a new leader in town & I like the cut of his jib. This will be a tough & disciplined team.

I definitely feel optimistic considering we no longer have seattles meal and travel supervisor making draft picks and signing free agents

you guys are placing too much faith into the Goodell era NFL being a legit sport

it's professional wrestling - scripted 

and the Jets will never have a winning script in this play

If the Pats don't get heavily hammered for deflate gate I'm done.  I still have hope that you're wrong but I will, at that point, have no choice but to agree with you and I'm not interested in watching scripted sports (basically reality TV)

because they still don't have a QB

(and there's no obvious solutions)

it's only the most important position in all of team sports. No big deal...

We all know how important it is to have a QB but no ones falling into our lap so the only way you can win is to strengthen your defense & try to get to average on offense.

I'm still gonna watch, the way you feel about it you might as well give up the sport.

dude, i'm getting there.

Believe me I get it, it sucks not having a QB.

It makes me laugh when PAT fans claim BB could win a Super Bowl without Brady.

Just look at the QBs who won Superbowls over the last 10 years!

Just look at the teams in the playoffs each year, most have QBs.

Josh McDaniels was a complete failure in Denver but transforms into a coaching candidate when he's Tom Bradys OC,lol.

That's what I like about Bowles, he kept a team playing hard & playing well with numerous injuries & very little offensive help.

Great defense with an average offense is the only other way to have a chance in this league without a franchise QB.

I think Bowles might be a coach that can get you there, we just need QB to help by protecting the ball & getting the ball to our playmakers so they can make plays.

Believe me I get it, it sucks not having a QB.

It makes me laugh when PAT fans claim BB could win a Super Bowl without Brady.

Just look at the QBs who won Superbowls over the last 10 years!

Just look at the teams in the playoffs each year, most have QBs.

Josh McDaniels was a complete failure in Denver but transforms into a coaching candidate when he's Tom Bradys OC,lol.

That's what I like about Bowles, he kept a team playing hard & playing well with numerous injuries & very little offensive help.

Great defense with an average offense is the only other way to have a chance in this league without a franchise QB.

I think Bowles might be a coach that can get you there, we just need QB to help by protecting the ball & getting the ball to our playmakers so they can make plays.

Sounds like what Rex was trying to accomplish unfortunately he was missing the average QB.....

serious question whens the last time that happened?

2003 Bucs? When Gruden knew all the other team's plays? That was about 13 years ago. 

2003 Bucs? When Gruden knew all the other team's plays? That was about 13 years ago. 

Gotta crawl before you walk.  Work with what you have and coach to your players strengths.  It is chance to be competitive, be in every game; add a couple more playmakers and in the right system (Chan Gailey) an average qb could become above average.  

we the jets fans can only be cautiously optimistic because this team lets all the fans down more often then not. I'm more optimistic about Rutgers Football because they have done well this past decade and their more enjoyable to watch then those damn same old Jets.

I'd much rather go to a Rutgers Football game over a Jets game any day. Rutgers Football atleast competes more then the Jets recently. I know its comparing NCAAF to NFL. But still college football is more enjoyable to watch in my opinion then the pros are. Even when your pro team loses often. The Jets losing made me appreciate College Football a lot more. Rutgers Football plays with pride and they win. Jets play greedy football and lose.

Last year with Seattle beating Denver ?

The Giants in 2007 and 2011 didn't statistically have a great defense but they had a great pass rush and were able to keep New England under wraps.

Here is what if you are Jets fan gives you no hope.....

Since 2001 the only quarterbacks not named Manning, Brady, Roethlisberger to represent the AFC the Super Bowl are Rich Gannon in 2002 with the Raiders and Flacco in 2012 with the Ravens.

That is scary. Cause it shows in these days not only do you have to be great but you can't turn the ball over and at all and have some luck like Flacco did against Denver in 2012 in order to get there.

Even Andrew Luck; who I think most feel is the best upcoming QB we have seen a long time has had three years at it and still hasn't gotten the Colts to the Super Bowl.

So you better build a really good team around whoever the QB is before you even start thinking of ever seeing the Jets get out of the abyss.

Agree with the OP...

There's a lot to be excited about with this team going forward. We're not winning anything next year but the team is in a nice position to build a quality roster over the next few seasons. I'm looking forward to free agency and the draft this year.

We're going to see a lot action. Fact is likely over 1/3 (7-9 starters) of the entire starting 22 will be different this year than last. That's HUGE turnover.

We can say that every 3 to 5 years when we start over again.

I do not consider Ryan Tannehill a franchise QB so it delights me to see them overspend.  I feel confident about the new team.  I do not know if they are capable of great things but I feel confident that they are not capable of disastrous things.  And you can build a winning franchise that way.  Have a solid plan and stay the course.  Volatility does not help a situation.

Fair enough...There are certainly many reason to be pessimistic (having no QB is the big one) but I am an optimist.  I know it's ridiculous to say but outside of the QB position this team could be very good.  

I actually think this team could win games with a guy like Cutler, who I really do not like.  With the right talent and an iron hand controlling Cutler, an okay draft and free agency, this team could end up on the plus side of the ledger.  And with a second okay draft and a few more FAs, who knows.

The only thing I do not know about Maccagnan is this: what is his strategic outlook?  is he sound in that kind of planning?  I will take for granted that he can spot talent.  But spotting talent and big picture thinking are two different things.  Only time will tell about that.  I was certain that Idzik's drafting ability would be a crapshoot from the beginning, whatever his real plan was, and it got him fired.  Maccagnan will draft good players.  Hopefully they are the players we need for where we have to go.

Nothing will happen to the Pats, there is no evidence whatsoever they were directly involved.

The Jets will be more severely penalized for Woody's tampering, and rightly so.

Of occurs they were involved.  Oh, maybe it was just a couple of IRS agents in Cincinnatti......I could see where BB might not have been involved, but not where Brady was not involved.  Though I think they both were.

Of occurs they were involved.  Oh, maybe it was just a couple of IRS agents in Cincinnatti......I could see where BB might not have been involved, but not where Brady was not involved.  Though I think they both were.

And that's the problem.

Everybody "thinks" they were, but there is no evidence that they were "actually" involved.

The only thing I do not know about Maccagnan is this: what is his strategic outlook?  is he sound in that kind of planning?  I will take for granted that he can spot talent.  But spotting talent and big picture thinking are two different things.  Only time will tell about that.  I was certain that Idzik's drafting ability would be a crapshoot from the beginning, whatever his real plan was, and it got him fired.  Maccagnan will draft good players.  Hopefully they are the players we need for where we have to go.

It's still ultimately going to come down to the QB.  Idzik was tied to Geno, Geno turned out to be a horror show.  That's what cost him his Job - had Geno been even solid the team would have won a few more games - and Idzik would have kept his job for a few more years.

Same thing is going to happen to Bowles and Mac.  They're going to get two maybe three years to find a QB...otherwise we're starting over again.

Archived