The Jets must not sign Revis. Your take....

UnitedWhofans

I think the holdout rules are different and that may have played a part in Wilkerson not even thinking about holding out.  Wilkerson is not on the same level as Revis.  I think Matt's assessment is pretty valid.  With Revis you put the figure you are willing to pay on him and if you can get him for that you absolutely sign him.  If not, no hard feelings.

Re Revis, it is all a matter of $ and term imo.   If he wants too much, no thanks.  If we do sign him the contract must have term.  At least 3 years.

As for the Wilkerson angle.  He's a very good player but if he gets all ticked off by something like this he is replaceable.  Richardson has passed him as far as being the dominant guy on the line and imo Wilkerson has not keep his level of play up the last two years to where it could be.

There is no reason for Revis to come back here. Rex is gone, the organization has scorned him not once but twice.

Revis is going to someplace where he can make money and win.

You know Rex is making a hard push to get Revis back. The Bills owner is mesmerized by Rex and will do what he says.

Re Revis, it is all a matter of $ and term imo.   If he wants too much, no thanks.  If we do sign him the contract must have term.  At least 3 years.

As for the Wilkerson angle.  He's a very good player but if he gets all ticked off by something like this he is replaceable.  Richardson has passed him as far as being the dominant guy on the line and imo Wilkerson has not keep his level of play up the last two years to where it could be.

He is turning 30.  I'd rather pay him a year at a time.  We know we can trust him for that anyway.

He is turning 30.  I'd rather pay him a year at a time.  We know we can trust him for that anyway.

We need a longer term vision at Cb if you ask me.  Sign him for one year and we are in the same boat next year scrambling for a new CB and Revis asking for the sun again.  If he has a good year I don;t want to go through the normal revis bs year after year.  I don;t think REvis is going to drop off the face of the earth at 31 or 32 ability wise.

I agree with the premise of the article but the points are all too familiar = Jets can't spend that much money/cap on one player and Jets are not one player away from making a run... 

More interesting concerns for signing him include; Revis age, his motivation after ring, value in Division with BB and Rex knowing weaknesses, potentially legitimizing tampering charges (Thanks Woody)...

The main reason I would want Revis to sign with the Jets long term is to enter the HOF as a Jet (not enough Jets in the HOF!)  You could argue he should have never left, but hard to argue for his return considering the situation...

Sign Wilkerson, keep money for Richardson and Mangold can lead the new wave of Jets to the HOF

There is no reason for Revis to come back here. Rex is gone, the organization has scorned him not once but twice.

This. Wish people would get this through their head. A lot of jets fans have a weird obsession with revis. Let. It. Go.

We need a longer term vision at Cb if you ask me.  Sign him for one year and we are in the same boat next year scrambling for a new CB and Revis asking for the sun again.  If he has a good year I don;t want to go through the normal revis bs year after year.  I don;t think REvis is going to drop off the face of the earth at 31 or 32 ability wise.

I can agree with that.  I just think that with the money he makes, the odds are you are considering cutting him as a cap casualty every year even if his play does not fall off a cliff.  Obviously, it is unlikely that he is worth it to the Jets who have many holes and are not a CB away from contention. 

To play devil's advocate, the reasons he fits the Jets are: 

1. Bowles likes to blitz and would surely appreciate and properly utilize a CB of his caliber.
  2. We are in particular need of CB this year because our two top guys from last year are such huge question marks.  Milliner and McDougle, both may be able to play.  They also both may be PUP list guys.  They may be something in between.  At this point in 2016, I would imagine we will have a much better gauge on what we have in those two. 
  3. Many of the other CBs we are going to consider are probably 1 year deal type guys, like Cro.

With the Lombardi already in the trophy case, I think all Revis will be concerned with for the rest of his career is the money. He wants to be the best, and he wants to be in the HoF, but winning isn't his priority (except how it effects his HoF potential).

No, there's really no way I see Revis coming to the Jets. He's going to the highest bidder and, even with all the Jets cap space, the Jets just have no business paying what he'll be demanding. I'd like to see the team find a starter or two at CB in free agency, but I'd also like them to be smart about it and fill some other holes on the OL, or at LB, WR, RB, or maybe even QB.

Correct.  So why pick this guy up?  We're in rebuild mode for the next couple of seasons so look to the draft for CB help.

Jet fans don't want to hear about rebuild mode...Most fans want to keep trying for wildcards than properly rebuilding.  

When we try and rebuild people buy billboards and banners...

I agree with the premise of the article but the points are all too familiar = Jets can't spend that much money/cap on one player and Jets are not one player away from making a run... 

More interesting concerns for signing him include; Revis age, his motivation after ring, value in Division with BB and Rex knowing weaknesses, potentially legitimizing tampering charges (Thanks Woody)...

The main reason I would want Revis to sign with the Jets long term is to enter the HOF as a Jet (not enough Jets in the HOF!)  You could argue he should have never left, but hard to argue for his return considering the situation...

Sign Wilkerson, keep money for Richardson and Mangold can lead the new wave of Jets to the HOF

What do you mean legitimizing Tampering charges? Woody gave a press conference and said that he would pay Revis the money that he signed with NE and would like him back. What is to legitimize?  Either the league formally recognizes Woody as the class idiot or they dock the jets a pick.

The NFL is not MLB.

NFL players do not go into the HOF as a representative of a team, they go in as an individual.

Technically correct but the pictures and statistics in the HOF tell the story, Namath went in as a Jet

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/team.aspx?TeamAlias=new-york-jets&InfoTab=Famers

Even the Cardinals have more players in the HOF, How many Packers, Steelers, Cowboys, etc... 

Would like my team to keep the very few great players they draft and enjoy watching the HOF celebration

I'm done with Revis and his selfish ways-let him go and play for Rex up in Alaska for all I care. If he came here, I guarantee that he would miss half of the games being questionably injured. He'd try to squeeze 10 million out of Woody and then screw him over-he is the ultimate NOT FOR TEAM player. 

What do you mean legitimizing Tampering charges? Woody gave a press conference and said that he would pay Revis the money that he signed with NE and would like him back. What is to legitimize?  Either the league formally recognizes Woody as the class idiot or they dock the jets a pick.

well the "class idiot" defense does not hold much water if he actually signs Revis in FA 

It's not often that you see a guy leave a team and come back as the same player he once was.  Revis is getting older and in my opinion while he did well in New England he wasn't the same shut down corner he was before the knee surgery.  I'd rather bring back Cromartie who never wanted to leave here and would bring veteran leadership to this team.  He matured when he was here and is a Bowles guy. 

It's not often that you see a guy leave a team and come back as the same player he once was.  Revis is getting older and in my opinion while he did well in New England he wasn't the same shut down corner he was before the knee surgery.  I'd rather bring back Cromartie who never wanted to leave here and would bring veteran leadership to this team.  He matured when he was here and is a Bowles guy. 

Well it was his first year in the defense, but no he is not the same guy, but a team does not need him to be.  It seemed this year that his job was to take the #2 guy out of the equation,so that the #1 guy could be doubled. Which I believe is the more effective way of doing it under today's passing rules.

I think he walks this year, but I think it is going to be Oakland, They got almost 70mill in cap room and i think Houston, and Suh stay where they are.  

As I and many others have said, we can shore up the corner position without signing Revis, which is what I prefer. I was never mad that Idziot traded Revis away, I was mad at the fact that he did nothing in the offseason to upgrade the position.

We have money and an obvious, glaring need at that spot. Let's fill it with someone besides Revis, since he believes he should be making Peyton Manning money. Let the Patriots keep paying him that.

Well it was his first year in the defense, but no he is not the same guy, but a team does not need him to be.  It seemed this year that his job was to take the #2 guy out of the equation,so that the #1 guy could be doubled. Which I believe is the more effective way of doing it under today's passing rules.

I think he walks this year, but I think it is going to be Oakland, They got almost 70mill in cap room and i think Houston, and Suh stay where they are.  

Probably will end up in Oakland.  They'll throw him $20 million a season no problem.

I still believe you can't pay QB monies to a CB. There are a few Young FA who and do the job for half the price and three quarters less grief. We have all too easily forgotten the Mevis we have all grown to love. He was always about the money and nothing else, no thanks.

Archived